Feedback of a steering wheel

• Thread starter PakHo0517
  • 12 comments
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
PakHoWong
Hello all,

I recently drive on the Suzuki race track with G25 steering wheel (FFBT5 FFBS10), then I notice something wrong with the feedback when I go through the 1st section of the track (the "left right left right left" section).

If I keep the wheel position at about -60 degree for the 1st corner, then it is obvious that I need to rotate the steering wheel to about 60 degree for the 2nd corner. The problem is when I rotate the steering wheel fast from -60 to 60 degree, the force feedback is not linear, the force feedback suddenly gets stronger when the wheel is at about 25 degree and 35 degree for slow and fast rotation, respectively. (Tested with speed at 130 km/h)

In the real world, should the steering wheel offer linear force under the situation mentioned above? Or it is just how it should be?

Thanks a lot :bowdown::bowdown:

A.png

A FFB wheel does not directly give you feedback only from the front wheels, which could be deceiving when comparing it to real life. FFB wheels also give you information about what the back wheels are doing when they begin to slip and in some games information about front tire slippage, understeer etc. Since for most of us a FFB is our only form of feedback, game designers place more information in the feedback than just what is happening through the wheels that steer and it sounds like this is what's happening to you, assuming your wheel isn't defective. Just takes time and patience to get used to it and sort out all the different feedback effects as they occur.

Feedback should be anything but linear. Also, how are you measuring the force.?

That's the force required to rotate the wheel to the position I want it to be... And that's an approximate value I just guess it. :P

If the feedback should not be linear, should the feedback be continuous? (Assume perfect road condition)

Cheers :bowdown:

It could be car mass that reaches tyre limit through the corners.

In real BMW's the wheel in center position is always lighter and not so responsive and depending on plain servo or servotronic system the power steering stiffens with higher revs or with car speed. Nuances that quantity-orientated title like GT can never touch when even steering ratios don't match real cars.

A FFB wheel does not directly give you feedback only from the front wheels, which could be deceiving when comparing it to real life. FFB wheels also give you information about what the back wheels are doing when they begin to slip and in some games information about front tire slippage, understeer etc. Since for most of us a FFB is our only form of feedback, game designers place more information in the feedback than just what is happening through the wheels that steer and it sounds like this is what's happening to you, assuming your wheel isn't defective. Just takes time and patience to get used to it and sort out all the different feedback effects as they occur.

They do that to compensate the lack of road feel under the player ? ... Wish there was an On/Off option for this. I mean when off, the player only feels the front tires like in real life.

They do that to compensate the lack of road feel under the player ? ... Wish there was an On/Off option for this. I mean when off, the player only feels the front tires like in real life.
The potential is certainly there to do that on the PS4, if it's not there, it's not there by choice on PD's part. A quick glance at Assetto Corsa brake settings shows that various effects are tunable:
upload_2014-12-8_9-56-48.png

When you combine this with the community created FFB Clipping App and the ability to further adjust FFB strength in the pits at the track, it allows you to fine tune both the mix of settings and the strength of feedback for individual car/track combinations if you like, or determine an overall level and just leave it there as well. Options, they are a beautiful thing, and we should expect this kind of tunability on the PS4.

My G25's been holding up since ? GT3.. Durable Wheel BTW!

The game does a great job sending info/feedback to the wheel. If you play with sound off you can feel this communication/link better, however subtle. The FFB Link's suspension, tires and engine/trans indicators. I can feel it all when using the wheel.

Sure it's not reality, but a game transmitting g forces thru game input(s) wheel/controller as best it can. A thumper could help with G simulation. Best would be full motion Setup "gamers dream"...

I don't know about "extra" information given in games, I think they might have exaggerated feedback but I don't think anything was extra from the real world. I'd say most of us we don't feel a lot of the feedback in the real world because we don't tend to be driving at the limit in real world. You can absolutely feel(the effect of) understeer/oversteer through the wheel in an actual car, the forces through the contact patch will change and you will feel it. But you also get the seat of the pants sensation through G forces, which is missing in video game. So they might make whatever feedback in the wheel more obvious. As far as vibration from engines or brakes, I think road cars nowadays are much more isolated that you actually don't feel a whole lot of that, but again they make that more obvious so that you feel like you are driving a thing...

PC games has always been able to fine tune FFB in the wheel, be it as through game menu or even through text setup files(you can do both historically in most gMotor based games like rFactor/GTR...etc). It would be nice to do that in PS4 but I sorta like the out of box playability with console nowadays. Though I do remember in the past on PC I'd tone down engine vibration and stuff...

Last edited:
Back