Ferrari 296 GTB (F171) - Hybrid V6

This is a thing I never thought would happen, and yet here we are :odd: What the hell?
To be fair to them, Mercedes did this ages ago:

Not sure what the venn diagram of Nintendo and Mercedes mini suv owners is.

I can fully understand say Toyota releasing new models in GT Sport but Gran Turismo may not have the mass appeal of FOrtnite and Mario Kart.

To be fair to them, Mercedes did this ages ago:

Not sure what the venn diagram of Nintendo and Mercedes mini suv owners is.

I can fully understand say Toyota releasing new models in GT Sport but Gran Turismo may not have the mass appeal of FOrtnite and Mario Kart.
It’s just weird cause Ferrari has always been so strict with their license and how their cars appear in games, so to see them in fortnite is a very weird, but a sort of welcoming thing.

Maybe they’re getting more lenient and relaxed with their licensing, which would be a nice change and might allow more customisation on their cars in NFS and Forza and such.

Could be a long-term result of Ferrari going public back in 2015. I read over the last few years from many in that community, that much of Ferrari's decision making has changed due so, and we're seeing the company make moves the old-timers don't think "fit" Ferrari.

Last edited:
Could be a long-term result of Ferrari going public back in 2015. I read over the last few years from many in that community, that much of Ferrari's decision making has changed due so, and we're seeing the company make moves the old-timers don't think "fit" Ferrari.
They have to make money somehow. Let's face it, Ferraris of yore were exclusive but not particularly good lol. And their obsession with racing is not cheap.

Last edited:
They have to make money somehow. Let's face it, Ferraris of yore were exclusive but not particularly good lol. And their obsession with racing is not cheap.

Ferrari made plenty of good cars prior to 2015, and I'm pretty sure they were making decent money too. What's changed post-IPO is the need for them to demonstrate growth. It's not enough to make money for themselves, now they have to make money for all their shareholders. The Ferrari SUV was a predictable result of this, but I think we're just getting started. There's probably going to be huge merch pushes (which this seems to be), more models in more segments at lower and lower price points, further homogeneity and platform sharing, and of course more spec-sheet moreness. The problem with basing your business model on growth is that you never reach the end, and the methods needed to maintain continued growth gut the soul of the company further and further.

If I were to guess, I don't think many enthusiasts will like where Ferrari ends up in 15-20 years. I think a good foil for Ferrari is Pagani. Pagani seems to be a perfectly viable, sustainable company. They are never going to generate enormous revenue...but who says they need to? They have 55 employees to keep on the books and overhead. Without shareholders demanding increased annual deliveries, Pagani can exist on it's own terms. Horacio seems totally satisfied with 1 model per decade, and Pagani has become the most exclusive name in town.

Enzo in his prime would have never gone for an IPO, I'd bet. For me, personally, the prancing horse isn't nearly as evocative as it used to be and I subconsciously (like Lamborghini) sort their cars into the hierarchy of "cool" and "post-cool".

Last edited:
prior to 2015
I was referring to time periods relevant to the "old timers" that Mclaren was referring to. I don't think Ferrari was all that financially stable until the mid-2000s after the 360 basically saved the company and that time period is definitely after anything that "old timers" reminisce over. Before the 360 era, Ferrari did what Ferrari wanted and besides F1 it wasn't particularly good at any of it. Ferrari sold cars on "passion" back then and passion is not very reliable. The cost of Ferrari profitability since the 2000s is that the cars are actually good but the passion if virtually gone. I think the 360 era was definitely the transition from "older timer" Ferrari to actually good/reliable/financially stable Ferrari. Oddly enough the 360 is probably genuinely the best car Ferrari has ever produced.

Last edited:
I was referring to time periods relevant to the "old timers" that Mclaren was referring to. I don't think Ferrari was all that financially stable until the mid-2000s after the 360 basically saved the company and that time period is definitely after anything that "old timers" reminisce over. Before the 360 era, Ferrari did what Ferrari wanted and besides F1 it wasn't particularly good at any of it. Ferrari sold cars on "passion" back then and passion is not very reliable. The cost of Ferrari profitability since the 2000s is that the cars are actually good but the passion if virtually gone. I think the 360 era was definitely the transition from "older timer" Ferrari to actually good/reliable/financially stable Ferrari. Oddly enough the 360 is probably genuinely the best car Ferrari has ever produced.
I don't disagree with what you are saying here really. I was responding to your original post where you implied that Ferrari IPO'd to effectively stay in business - I don't think that's true at all. I think they were easily capable of "making money" without going public. Ferrari has the most valuable brand name in the business...as long as people have money (and want to show it) their company is viable. In my opinion, they IPO'd to make Piero Ferrari a billionaire, plain in simple. It's a cash out that will make a few people ludicrously wealthy by diluting the brand. It's the kind of thing I would typically expect you to rage against. :lol:

So now Piero can do the whole paper billionaire thing - you know, borrow money against his paper wealth to buy whatever he wants, and report no actual income - no income tax. Then just borrow more to service the debt! If you're a billionaire, they'll let you do it. But hey, that Ferrari SUV...is a thing.

Last edited:
It's a cash out that will make a few people ludicrously wealthy by diluting the brand. It's the kind of thing I would typically expect you to rage against. :lol:
I mean, it makes Ferrari's management look bad for selling out and it also makes Ferrari's customers look bad for buying expensive Camrys. This satisfies me greatly. Nothing grabs my attention less than a red rocket sitting in traffic with the top down on a humid summer day.

Let's not kid ourselves. They are trying and succeeding in embedding themselves in the next gen.

I used to work in schools and kids have heard of Ferrari and they look at them as the ultimate. So implanting into Fortnite is a good move probably on the decision of Microsoft on behalf of Ferrari.

These are $300,000 in the US? People who can afford them dont care what the peasants think. They made it. Whatever "IT" is.

This car? Again I'm not a super huge fan of even twin turbo 4.0 v8s like everyone is doing, muchless so of turbo V6s.

I'm not super taken up by the looks. Both this and the McLaren looks like GTA 5 cars.

Its a last hurrah until 2030 when things come to a crashing halt.

You know, I curiously came across this car when checking some recommended YouTube videos. Actually, this car is very lovely. Not gorgeous, but much better looking than say, LaFerrari or any FF. I kind of wished it had the side profile of the 488 GTB (and maybe the front of the 488 GTB as well). I know very little about this car, but I'm pretty intrigued about it actually.

You know, I curiously came across this car when checking some recommended YouTube videos. Actually, this car is very lovely. Not gorgeous, but much better looking than say, LaFerrari or any FF. I kind of wished it had the side profile of the 488 GTB (and maybe the front of the 488 GTB as well). I know very little about this car, but I'm pretty intrigued about it actually.
I love the LaFa looks, the FF has really grown on me in the last year.
There are too many Ferrari models.
Let's take a closer look at this idea.

Haven't watched the video but I have thought recently they've been doing too many refreshes, and having every refresh bearing a new name has made it confusing. Since 2009, we've had 458, 488, F8 Tributo and now 296.

In terms of the actual model range I don't think it's too bad, you have:

Portofino
Roma
SF90 Stradale
Purosangue (when it arrives)

All those models have their own specific areas in my mind. To be fair I can also levy this same complaint at McLaren, who I've needed to read their official site at a point because I was getting confused.

To be fair I can also levy this same complaint at McLaren, who I've needed to read their official site at a point because I was getting confused.
As far as I know they make three cars, the 570, 650, and Artura. Sports car, faster sports car, GT car? Is that what they make? I don't even know either lol.

As far as I know they make three cars, the 570, 650, and Artura. Sports car, faster sports car, GT car? Is that what they make? I don't even know either lol.
Artura, 720S/765LT, GT, Senna, Speedtail and Elva

Here's my take, be it a good take or not - Both Mclaren and Ferrari have adopted the "shake them out of our sleeve" approach to product development. For me, this makes each subsequent model feel very transitory/impermanent. You cannot establish a model as iconic if its almost immediately replaced by something else - and ultimately an iconic brand needs to create iconic products.

I think you could easily argue that the 308, 328, F355, 360, 430, and 458 are iconic because they had an appropriate amount of space/time to develop/marinate on bedroom walls. The 488GTB felt like a passing breeze, there's no there, there. You think any kid had a 488 poster on their wall? The F8 and 296 also seem eerily transient to me, like Ferrari is saying "this is so easy for us, here's a couple more cars...idk do you like them? Whatever it's fine. There'll be a new one next week anyways". The 458, when it launched, felt a lot more singular and special. A new Ferrari used to be an exciting and rare event. Now it's such a shifty brand, constantly moving from one thing to the next. I think Pagani has basically taken up that iconic-italian-sports car mantle. When a new Pagani is finally unveiled (Huayra replacement) it's going to feel like a big deal. SP3 Daytona? Where did that come from? They sold them all before they even released marketing imagery. No extended tease, no build up, just "here it is, you really can't have one". The SP2 & SP3 are the best looking Ferraris in years, but they just seems like concept cars to be deposited into hedge funds.

Accusations of excess sentimentality/nostalgia are fully expected and deserved

edit: As an example, as I was reading wiki and writing this post, I forgot that the SF90 exists.

People are way too obsessed with money, I think is ultimately the problem.

623203174190e340e12153ed-ferrari-296-gt3-sketch-news-desk.jpeg
62320e099c67573633173edb-ferrari-296-gt3-sketch-intro-new-image.jpeg

That should be an interesting car. Development in Maranello, will be assembled & tested by Oreca due to their new contract to handle the GT3 cars.

Surprised to read elsewhere that Ferrari has ended its relationship with Michelotto, reportedly wanting to oversee more control of their products & the LMH and F1 cars will be their only fully in-house creations for the time being.

Last edited:
Looks great. Too bad the looks will be ruined by crap liveries. I wonder if they'll keep buttressed rear window? It doesn't really cost anything aerodynamically and I assume the category has minimum drag requirements anyway.

Someone needs to do a classic 250 LM livery with the circular number board and just subtle sponsors along the bottom of the door or something.

Some interesting design details. Of note is how much more aggressive Ferrari's air manipulation is than the new Porsche GT3, implying that their underbody downforce creation reduced drag enough to be aggressive in other areas, while Porsche's larger rear wing requires them to reduce drag as much as possible. This has been part of their overall design pilosophy for decades and holds true on their GTP car as well.

Last edited:
Back