Ferrari SF-15 Hybrid systems guide

• Thread starter dyr_gl
  • 27 comments
Spain
Spain
dyr_gl
After having a read at various text guides around, it still took quite a bit of driving and messing around to learn how to fully exploit this car. These guides explain the theory in detail, up to the mathematical behaviour of every delivery mode, but don´t bother giving you tips as a driver on how to handle the controls in every situation.

This is the aim of this guide: giving you a good idea on good use of all these settings. Of course you do need to know the theory first, so I did a first chapter focusing on that, which is hopefully easier to swallow than the text guides.

Chapter 2 is about good use in qualifying laps, chapter 3 is on the making and it will be about race day (and I´ll cover the gap I left untouched in the quali video: delivery limit per lap). Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Great video. I was thinking about this a while back, someone should do a "university of AC" Youtube channel, seams like you're on your wsy to doing it. Doesn't have to be strictly AC mind you bit anything to help people improve in all aspects. love watching your vids.i

So where is the "Boost Button" on PS4? BTW I am using a standard T300 wheel.

It should be the same one you use for regular KERS in cars that have it (like the F138). It changes depending on the button layout preset you use.

It should be the same one you use for regular KERS in cars that have it (like the F138). It changes depending on the button layout preset you use.
I also don't have a KERS or DRS button either :-(

DRS=O button if on PS4.

I have tried it and it doesn't seem to work. Q: Do you have to be in a DRS zone even in practice for it to work?

What about the "Boost Button" dyr_gl talks about?

I am using fixed button lay out 1 on my T300 std wheel. Which layout are you and dyr_gl using?

Yeah there are DRS zones. Though I don't know if that is forced in practice... Don't think it is. Check in 3rd person view and see if the wing opens? Pretty sure I was in Preset 1 when it worked.

Yeah there are DRS zones. Though I don't know if that is forced in practice... Don't think it is. Check in 3rd person view and see if the wing opens? Pretty sure I was in Preset 1 when it worked.

OK I can answer my own questions now.

L2 = DRS R2 is the boost button (or cycle Turbo on some cars)

At Barcelona DRS does work in practice (even in the pits) you must be in a DRS zone and that is only on the main straight and it is not listed as DRS (so you guess). It starts at the control tower on the the start finish straight. It only takes one button press to activate it (or deactivate it) apply the brakes or entering the corner also deactivates it (as per F1 regs).

Good idea of yours to use "chase cam" it is what helped me figure it all out, cheers.

Also, to see if "boost mode" works I was in 2nd gear at idle on the main straight and kept applying it. Yes the car did accelerate and yes the battery was drained.

Now my only problem with the 15T is it is either constantly under-steering or over-steering and not very often in a straight line ;-) Oh and when it is in a straight line it is leaving 2 black rubber lines on the road :-))

Sounds like it is time to watch dyr_gl's videos again.

OK I can answer my own questions now.

L2 = DRS R2 is the boost button (or cycle Turbo on some cars)

At Barcelona DRS does work in practice (even in the pits) you must be in a DRS zone and that is only on the main straight and it is not listed as DRS (so you guess). It starts at the control tower on the the start finish straight. It only takes one button press to activate it (or deactivate it) apply the brakes or entering the corner also deactivates it (as per F1 regs).

Good idea of yours to use "chase cam" it is what helped me figure it all out, cheers.

Also, to see if "boost mode" works I was in 2nd gear at idle on the main straight and kept applying it. Yes the car did accelerate and yes the battery was drained.

Now my only problem with the 15T is it is either constantly under-steering or over-steering and not very often in a straight line ;-) Oh and when it is in a straight line it is leaving 2 black rubber lines on the road :-))

Sounds like it is time to watch dyr_gl's videos again.

There are two DRS zones at Catalunya, so it should work on the back straight as well (the short straight after the blind-entry turn 9).

Edit: If they've programmed the DRS to only be available in real-life DRS zones, does this mean DRS isn't available at all on circuits that F1 doesn't visit? (Zandvoort for example)

There are two DRS zones at Catalunya, so it should work on the back straight as well (the short straight after the blind-entry turn 9).

Edit: If they've programmed the DRS to only be available in real-life DRS zones, does this mean DRS isn't available at all on circuits that F1 doesn't visit? (Zandvoort for example)

The problem, as I see it, is that there is no way to know *IF* DRS is actually activated unless you are in trail cam and physically see it open. Wouldn't it be nice if a little light or DRS symbol turned on or even said "DRS Unavailable".

At Barcelona there are no DRS signs and when I drove the whole track slowly in trail cam the main straight is the only placed I got it to work.

Documentation (explanation?) on how this game is supposed to work on PS4 is certainly a little thin to say the least.

When DRS opens for me I get the little letters "DRS" down by right lower corner of the screen where the graphs are for the throttle/brake input area..Is that what you mean, or am I missing something :confused:

Yeah there is a logo kicks in.

That is not what PS4 users see. I'll make a video and post it later today.

EDIT: OK here is the video and I am afraid that I will have to take it all back. Under the Tacho a DRS symbol does pop up up. Also there is green DRS light that appears on the steering wheel as well. Also later in the video on the RH upper side of the wheel you will also see a 'K1' button light when the Boost Button is pressed.

Here is the short video

Last edited:
You sure it only works on the main straight at Catalunya? If so, it's not accurate, because real F1 uses two DRS zones there, and has done for years. If they can't put the DRS zones in the right places, what's the point in only allowing us to use it in DRS zones at all?

Have you tested it on non-F1 circuits to see if there's anywhere you can open DRS @TT92? I've been too busy to play it lately, otherwise I'd try it.

Glad you saw it, I was clueless when I first tried using drs.... Definitely a learning curve with these games for me! :boggled: Seems like a lot of things needs to be figured out by trial and error , really kind of stinks.

You sure it only works on the main straight at Catalunya?
Yes. I have done several laps slowly using trail cam and kept hammering the DRS button.

If so, it's not accurate, because real F1 uses two DRS zones there, and has done for years. If they can't put the DRS zones in the right places, what's the point in only allowing us to use it in DRS zones at all?

Yep, agreed. Makes it very, VERY hard to know where the zones are when there aren't any signs.

Have you tested it on non-F1 circuits to see if there's anywhere you can open DRS @TT92? I've been too busy to play it lately, otherwise I'd try it.

Not yet, as it's a "roun-to-it" task ;-)

Glad you saw it, I was clueless when I first tried using drs.... Definitely a learning curve with these games for me! :boggled: Seems like a lot of things needs to be figured out by trial and error , really kind of stinks.

Yes, this is the bit I find difficult too. There is no info about how a lot of this stuff is supposed to work. And you don't know if it supposed to operate the way it does or it is broken and they will get around to fixing it. e.g no rear wing or underbody aero adjustments on F1 cars :-( Or no ratio changes on the 15T. F1 rules state that it must be fixed at the start of the season. Since there are no seasons in this game then why can't we change the ratios?

Yes. I have done several laps slowly using trail cam and kept hammering the DRS button.

Definitely in practice? In real life practice sessions you could use DRS on any straight. I haven't driven these since the day they were released.

Definitely in practice? In real life practice sessions you could use DRS on any straight.

No you can't. In real life F1, DRS is only available in designated zones in any session, including practice and testing.

I recall them they used to before the turbos... The zones only kicked in for qualifying and the race.

In 2011 and 2012 they had free use for practice and qualifying, but it's been banned outside of DRS zones since the start of 2013. Since this is a 2015 car, obviously the 2015 rules will apply to it.

On PC version at least, if you enable developer apps (just google how to) you can enable the "Electronics" HUD and it will show you when DRS is available. The wing icon lights up green and if you deploy DRS it will turn yellow. It will become greyed out if it's unavailable.

If they've programmed the DRS to only be available in real-life DRS zones, does this mean DRS isn't available at all on circuits that F1 doesn't visit? (Zandvoort for example)

I have just tested the Ferrari T15 DRS at Silverstone National, Vallelunga, Zandvoort, Monza 1966, Mugello and Black Cat County. DRS is available *EVERYWHERE* including around corners!!! Two things, Black Cat County watch the jump on the back straight with DRS ON "Cape Canaveral we have launch" and Monza 1966 I suggest you turn DRS OFF for the banking and make sure sure your dentures are glued in ;-)

So my conclusion is "DRS on non F1 tracks" works everywhere, including around corners. On F1 tracks it is limited to DRS zones only and they may not be the official ones available in F1 2016 regs.

I hope this helps someone. Also I had a lot of fun testing it :-) Can't wait for private lobbies, there will be some amazing races had ;-)

Back