Ferrari SP38 Deborah

► One-off model
► Based on the F40 and 308GTB
► Built on a 488 GTB

Ferrari’s One-Off programme doesn’t always result in the most visually pleasing bespoke creations, but this latest example is certainly raising a few pulses around here.

Taking influence from the F40 and, to lesser extent, the 308 GTB, it’s called the Ferrari SP38. Full details follow below, but we have just two immediate questions: a) couldn’t someone have come up with a better name, and b) why hasn’t it got a bigger rear wing?

Those minor quibbles aside, the SP38 is surely one of the sexiest pieces of metal and carbon to come out of Maranello for quite some time.

096_ferrari_sp38.jpg

What’s the Ferrari SP38 based on?
You’ve probably guessed this from the proportions, but underneath those new cloths lurks the beating heart and techno-structure of a Ferrari 488 GTB – a nice choice for an homage to the F40, since both models are powered by a twin-turbo V8.

This adds a further layer of complexity to the exterior design, of course, as the makeover still needed to provide adequate air-flow and cooling to the 488’s engine. Especially since the SP38 has apparently been engineered for road and circuit use.

According to Ferrari, the new owner immediately put this to the test by taking to famous Fiorano test-track for some familiarisation laps.

097_ferrari_sp38.jpg

Who designed the Ferrari SP38?
The in-house Ferrari Design Centre is responsible for the SP38’s new look.

The idea was to concentrate the unique Ferrari’s mass over the rear wheels – something that’s been done in such an elegant way that it’s not actually that obvious until you see it from a rear three-quarter view.

Seen from this angle, the SP38 has a distinctive wedge shape that ‘sharply stretches’ towards its nose. The skinniest possible headlights were part of the brief from the client, apparently, which meant moving the daytime running lights for added ‘character’.

098_ferrari_sp38.jpg

The slim bumper element at the front is where the 308 GTB reference comes in.

The wedgy, visor shape to the windscreen and side glass reminds us of a Lancia Strato, while clever folds in the metal along the flanks cunningly hide the 488 GTB’s trademark air intakes; these couldn’t be taken out altogether as they’re still relied on to feed oxygen to the engine’s intercoolers.

In what way does the SP38 look like a Ferrari F40?
It’s subtle, and reading between the lines the idea to play on the F40 heritage may have come from the engine similarity rather than as an original aesthetic intent. Even so there are some neat styling cues.

Most obvious is the slatted engine cover, which replaces the traditional glass rear window and helps keep the engine cool. This whole assembly is carbonfibre, and the ‘slashing shutlines’ in the SP38’s flanks are a deliberate F40 reference.

The rear haunches carry over into a spoiler that’s also supposed to be a hat-tip to the F40 – though we can’t help thinking the thing would have looked even more awesome if the designers had gone even further with this, and given it a properly proud rear wing practically at the level of the roof.

Presumably there are good aerodynamic reasons for not doing this. But still. A trio of tailpipes would have been a nice bit F40 iconography as well.

Who are we to question the decisions of the super-rich, eh?

099_ferrari_sp38.jpg

Who owns the Ferrari SP38?
Ferrari rarely kisses and tells, and this is no exception.

All we know is that this person is ‘one of Ferrari’s most dedicated customers’. And that their latest toy is rather lovely.

Having been handed over to its new owner at Fiorano, the Ferrari SP38 will be appearing in public for the first time at the 2018 Concorso d’Elegenanza Villa d’Este on Saturday 26 May.
Source

I think it looks a lot more special and interesting than the 488. Kind of a shame they can't just make all their cars like this.

Lovely looking car, especially the back end. Very Lamborghini inspired. Those twin breaklights are clearly a throwback to the F40 too.

Headlamps look very reminiscent of the new Vantage as well.

Really divisive car, ain't it? In more ways than one infact, with the people that like a half of it but different halves :lol:

Of course, I am not unbiased myself, as I've already mentioned in the thread.

ferrari_sp38_4.jpeg

I don't get how people like this half.

Short of being Red, Carbon Fibre and having a turbocharged V8 I can't see anything remotely F40ish. Gorgeous car though.

Why am I looking at a Lotus Evora?

It does looks quite a lot like a larger Evora in overall shape.

It also looks very much like one of the other cars, made to celebrate 50 years of Ferrari in Japan (in 2016): the appropriately named J50. More so from the front though, than the rear. It looks very similar, just with the various vents and intakes removed - which I think is an improvement. Although I prefer the rear of the J50.

5b0b8b6e1a03924a9f749d9d2dabb0c6.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some heavy duty struts holding up that cover.
IMG_6977.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

Some other interesting facts courtesy of a close insider. Color is a one-off named after the owner, car started development in 2016, and the client is very active in the XX Programme; she races a blue FXXK & 599XX these days.

"But according to Ferrari, things like a lack of a rear window, the engine cover, and rear wing are all influenced by the iconic car."

Exactly the weakest point in the design... Guess the rear mirror will be digital (with camera on the back), or else it is a big setback.

Anyway, I like the front of the car and the rear is not actually bad-looking.

It does looks quite a lot like a larger Evora in overall shape.

It also looks very much like one of the other cars, made to celebrate 50 years of Ferrari in Japan (in 2016): the appropriately named J50. More so from the front though, than the rear. It looks very similar, just with the various vents and intakes removed - which I think is an improvement. Although I prefer the rear on the J50.

5b0b8b6e1a03924a9f749d9d2dabb0c6.jpg
Actually, I like this one ^ better :D

I love it. I'm liking the design of it a whole lot more than that of the 488, which I think is mainly down to the fact that the SP38 doesn't have those headlight clusters that go so far back on the quarters. Something which I've never fully liked when they were introduced as they are on the 458 Italia.

and who cares if it has an air of Lamborghini about it....... that is only ever a good thing. :D

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like it then?

In my opinion it looks like a generic 90's concept car.
I don't like it either.

Saying that it resembles an F40 is a bold statement. It doesn't deserve that to say that about it.

"But according to Ferrari, things like a lack of a rear window, the engine cover, and rear wing are all influenced by the iconic car."

Exactly the weakest point in the design...
Not only that, it also is a big, fat lie.
d49ba6444caba6ce529075983d2f8a7289daf876.jpg

Clearly looks like a rear window to me. Unless Ferrari refer to a different iconic car without of it.

The best on one-off personal Ferrari would be a retro F40 with modern technology. It has to look like an F40 but a little bit modern looking with bigger wheels. I would prefer a manual gearbox over these stupid (:P) dubble clutch gearboxes.

Last edited:
I would prefer an manual gearbox over these stupid (:P) dubble clutch gearboxes.
Unless there'd be some stupidly rich purist, no SP Ferrari with a manual will happen anymore. At least because DCT is faster.

Back