Fewer Teens on the Roads

  • Thread starter Thread starter Philly
  • 47 comments
  • 18,640 views

Philly

Phillium
Premium
Messages
7,666
Autoblog
Have teenagers gone nuts? The Federal Highway Administration is reporting that the percentage of teenagers with driver's licenses is going down. Yeah, decreasing! What is up with that?

When I was growing up, my teenage years focused on just one objective... driving. All I wanted was to get my driver's license. That little card with your picture on it was the golden ticket. You could borrow your parent's car, fill the tank (and grab a candy bar) for $20, and nobody could reach you until you returned. We didn't have cell phones, text messaging or GPS tracking. A driver's license represented freedom.

So, what happened? Experts aren't blaming unmotivated teenagers. Instead, they point the finger at the environment in which we are raising our kids. In today's world, parents are much more likely to chauffeur their teenagers from place to place. Tighter state laws govern when kids can drive, and in many cases legislation has pushed the driving age limit higher. Fewer high schools are offering driver's education classes, forcing parents to pay for more expensive private instruction, and steeper rates are making insurance cost-prohibitive for the high-risk teen-age category. Top it all off with gasoline at more than three-dollars per gallon, and maybe a driver's license just doesn't represent what it used to.

[Source: New York Times]

I don't know what the old times were like, but it seems true from what I've seen. Very few kids get their licenses the day they turn 16, although quite a few are within a couple months. I didn't get mine until I was 17 and a half. Lots of kids don't get theirs until after high school and I know a bunch who haven't after that.

It also seems like demographics are changing too though.
 
I have no idea what that's about. For me learning how to drive means that I can help my parents out when they need it, and yes, the all important freedom from them, since none of the electronics i own contains a GPS tracker.

The laws aren't really that strict. I can get a permit when i'm 15 1/2 and after a year of holding that i can get an intermediate License. For 6 months i can only Chauffeur my siblings and family members (Uncles, Parents, Grandparents, Brothers, Sisters, but no cousins) after those 6 months I can take up to 2 other people with me wherever i go that are not related to me. and after a year with my intermediate license i have freedom to do whatever i want whenever i want with whomever i want. i think it's great although it takes a year and I'll be 17 by the time i can take anyone with me.

i've had my permit for about 4 months now
 
I don't know about you guys but ever since I could think I wanted my license. I know I got my permit as soon as I could and I got my license 8 am on my 17th birthday (in new jersey 17 is the limit). Come hell or high water I was getting my license.
 
I'm almost glad fewer 16 year olds are getting their license. I know I wasn't ready when I got mine and I had been driving on a permit for a year. The driver's education system in America is bad, which explains why there are so many idiots on the roadways now. Kids think that (and I'm very guilty of this) driving is right and take it for granted.
 
Not too surprised. My cousin is turning 18 very soon, and he has yet to get a license. Although...he has done some errands.
 
I'm almost glad fewer 16 year olds are getting their license. I know I wasn't ready when I got mine and I had been driving on a permit for a year. The driver's education system in America is bad, which explains why there are so many idiots on the roadways now. Kids think that (and I'm very guilty of this) driving is right and take it for granted.
I'm not going to say that your logic is flawed regarding the driver demographic, but I think what you mean to say is that driver education needs to be stiffened more than an elder on Viagra.
 
I'm not going to say that your logic is flawed, but I think what you mean to say is that driver education needs to be stiffened more than an elder on Viagra.

that... is the most disturbing simile in the world.... although accurate. here in Washington half the class is focused on not being a drunk driver which has nothing to do with me because i can't drink booze. A quarter is focused on rules that most people don't obey anyways.

when you get to a road with no markings such as stop signs or those little lines in the road. a person wants to go straight but the person to his right wants to turn left. who has the right of way?

the person turning left but if someone did that, you would flip them off wouldn't you?
 
Yeah, fewer teens are on the roads because THE ROADS ARE INSANE. Seriously, some people drive like my ass and I'm not even licensed.

Between gas prices and insurance prices, people are more reluctant to drive when they don't have to.
 
thank goodness really lol, although insurance companies do love em
 
Decreasing since when?
 
I didn't bother with my driving licence until I was 19, but the legal age for licence here is 18.. and everyone here gets their licence ASAP. but my personal opinion is that the age limit should be raised to 21..
 
Well in my opinion is if they do raise the age to get your license, they should at least let you get your permit (where you drive with parents/guardians) earlier because I can tell you my parents were glad when I could start driving due to me being able to help them drive on long car trips as well as be a designated driver when they've had a few to drink :lol:
 
I'll be 20 in July and I still don't have my license. I'll probably get it within the next few months though.
 
Getting it after turning 18 is nice, because then you can get a permit and the instructor can show up at your door.
 
You don't need to get a permit in Florida if you're over 18. Just walk into the DMV, take the written and driving tests and if you pass, you get your full license.
 
^is it similar in california? I'll be moving there within a year or so.. if it is, I will probably stay on the less populated mountain roads..
 
I have no idea how the California DMV works.
 
16 is just too young to be driving a car. In Belgian you ahve to be 18 and that is even too young, at least for boys because there ego is too big which makes them "a danger" on a public road.
 
I think it's stupid that everyone assumes that EVERY 16 year old male wants to drive like a maniac. I'm not 16, but I've never driven before. Does that mean as soon as I get behind the wheel I'm going to be " a danger" on the public roads?
 
Personally, I feel that raising the age doesn't do a whole lot: Inexperienced drivers will be inexperienced drivers, no matter how old they are. There needs to be education reform in this area, big time.
 
I didn't bother with my driving licence until I was 19, but the legal age for licence here is 18.. and everyone here gets their licence ASAP. but my personal opinion is that the age limit should be raised to 21..
If professional driver education isn't mandated, raising the minimum age for licensing will do nothing for improving driver preparation, regardless of what municipality in which it is issued.
 
All the boys round my way are paying about £3000 to insure their cars for the first year. Needless to say the majority of 17-20 year olds still use public transport, or their GF's drive them about. Also there has been a 300% rise in the number of claims from young drivers. I think this also got alot to do with new drivers buying relatively expensive or new cars which if they have crashes in they have to put in a claim to get it fixed, as instead in the past most new drivers had bangers for first cars, and if they crashed them they would just buy a new one. In the UK everyone is obsessed with having expensive and new cars and its being reflected in premiums. But then again 1 out of every 20 drivers in the UK is insured. Oh and out of every £1 the insurance companies make roughly £0.60p of it goes straight to compensation lawyers. The UK is turning into a compensation nation.
 
You don't need to get a permit in Florida if you're over 18. Just walk into the DMV, take the written and driving tests and if you pass, you get your full license.

Yep. They give you your Learner's permit until you take the driving test with an instructor. The LP has standard restrictions, however; it's the restricted (teenagers') license that is bypassed.
 
It's not so much the age thing, it's more of a lack of training I believe.
 
you guy's are lucky and i'm never going to travel south or east.
 
It's not so much the age thing, it's more of a lack of training I believe.

i never really felt like i was being taught anything, everything i learnt was from the practice of actually driving, it was more like being accompanied by someone who told me where to go.
they really need to rethink teaching, so far its only "learning" to pass the test, which involves the annoying hand shuffling, constant looking behind more than in front oh and giving up right of way all the time because making someone wait is such an offense :rolleyes: although if its a female driver they shrug off a lot more. they need to make the passing more based on opinion of the driving, rather than gender and stereotypes, and following company quotas. theres prob less teens driving because its such a hassle, i know i gave up for 3 months after the 3rd ridiculous fail. it sounds retarded when the examiner says "your a great driver but...[insert last minute clutching-at-straws excuse]"
 
If professional driver education isn't mandated, raising the minimum age for licensing will do nothing for improving driver preparation, regardless of what municipality in which it is issued.

My point is, that at younger age, guys tend to give in to pressure especially if there is a friend or two aboard. I've been through that, and that's partially the reason why I don't like driving my friends around, they always try to push you doing something stupid. it's a teenage thing, believe me. starting the training at older, more mature age would lessen the effect of all those hormones raging in the body and lower the risk of being an idiot in the traffic. I do admit that I had my weak moments myself, and this only strengthens my opinion.
 
Back