Fewer Teens on the Roads

  • Thread starter Thread starter Philly
  • 47 comments
  • 18,640 views
ugh.

around here, it's the 20 somethings that drive like maniacs. these are also the people who put 5 or 10 bucks worth into their car, every day, just so they can get to work...they seem to drive like maniacs 'cause they're on "fumes" and they gotta get their butts to where they're going right NOW.

i HAD to wait until 21. I got caught short before my permit expired, and could only take the test twice. couldn't pass the "parallel parking" routine very easy. they don't train you to use your mirrors, they train you to look over your shoulder backing up:P
 
Attitude, age (too young), and lack off experience! in that order!

Why is it that younger people have to pay a higher insurance fee? Not because they are inexperienced (maybe for a part). It's because they are YOUNG.
Getting older doesn't mean that you're getting more experienced. Sure you are getting used to how to drive car on busy roads but it doesn't mean that they become better drivers. Ofcourse not all 16 y.o. are bad drivers but there are more young drivers with a wrong attitude behind a wheel than older people.

Remember Tom, my friend and ex professional race car driver (F3). There is a thread about him in the rumple strip. He's a very experienced driver but he's still young and has the WRONG ATTITUDE. Very experienced and still he was involved in a very bad car accident.

Attitude, age, and lack off experience (but the latter is less important).

Girls tend to have less accidents. Even at a younger age! They do not have more experience than boys, no, they have a better attitude towards driving a car and thus making less accidents. If they are involved in an accident, it's less severe than when a boy is involved in an accident.

Look at the thread that I made today > rumple strip. A guy crashes into the car of a girl, both young and inexperienced. Why did they crash, well because the guy had the WRONG ATTITUDE towards driving. He was driving drunk!.

I'm not saying that older people have the right attitude but they will think twice before getting behind a wheel. If you have the wrong attitude, you will get into an accident, experienced or not.


Everybody has it's own opinion, this is mine!


:)
 
Age doesn't really affect how well you can drive, I could drive our family car at the age of 10 around a parking lot. But just because I knew how to drive a car didn't mean I knew how to drive in the real world. I think we could easily keep the age at 16 but have training start at 14 and make having your permit be two years so you can experience more things on the road. Also drivers education classes should be more involved and if you live in a wintery climate area then you should also have to take a course during the winter.
 
Well, there's a certain physical ability involved...if they can pass certain co-ordination tests, perhaps some strength tests, you should then get your permit.
 
Oh for sure, driving is physically demanding at times and if you don't have at least some strength you shouldn't be doing it. I suppose there would be a height issue as well since the closer you sit the the steering wheel the great the chance the airbag will break your face if it goes off.
 
I think my Mom's about too short. she's 4'11", I wouldn't allow kids to drive if they're much shorter than that.
 
Of my kids, My oldest three got their licenses when they were 16, though they both had to wait till they completed driver's ed and driver's training.
My fourth got his license at 16, but has only "solo'd" one time.
He prefers to ride than to drive. Though out of neccessity we're out practicing lately.
My 5th got a "restricted license" at 15 and a half, and is now 17.
My youngest is nearly 16, and he's chompin' at the bit to get a restricted lisence, but as he'll be able to get a full license in April, I see no point in rushing the issue. Though I'm busily teaching him to drive a stick shift, as it will be his ride come next school year.

Now I've been driving since I was 14 or so, with my old man in the car. Got my permit as soon as I was able. Had to wait till I finished driver's ed and training to get my license. Of course, from the moment I got my learner's permit I drove almost everywhere. By the time I got to driver's training I probably had 10,000 miles or more under my belt.
However, I managed to fail my first driving test. My tester put me in a "trick" situation and I did the wrong thing. (I was in a two-lane left turn lane. The tester told me to go straight across. I did. He failed me. That's one way to get revenue for the county) But I got my license the next day.
 
Oh what I did to get my license. I was forced to move to Illinois from Texas with my mom. Since my permit wasn't valid in Illinois and it would take 10 months to get a license I went back to Texas and stayed there for 3 weeks. The day I turned 16 I went and proudly got my license.
 
My youngest is nearly 16, and he's chompin' at the bit to get a restricted lisence, but as he'll be able to get a full license in April, I see no point in rushing the issue. Though I'm busily teaching him to drive a stick shift, as it will be his ride come next school year.

*sigh* well, at least SOMEONE knows how to shift a stick. when I was taking the tests at 16, there was no longer such a thing. and nobody wanted to risk their clutch-plate to teach me (even now). i imagine after "GTing" so long, I'd probably do pretty good with a stick.
 
i didnt like driving when i got my learners, still dont really enjoy it a whole lot but its not as bad as it was.

I hated not being able to control the car (of course i have no problem driving normally, but i meant if any thing went down and i had to drive out of normal), and never knowing its limits or how it will react in such limits. I was used to my motorbike which ive been riding for a very long time, every time i ride it i know the limits and exactly how it would react its like having another arm or leg. I felt very unsafe in a car and still dont feel that comfortable.. While i understand a lot of theory from the PC sims i play the actual expereince is still low. Luckily in all the near misses ive been in, i was able to handle the car well at the limits and even with no ABS effectilvly brake and swerve hard, by pumping the brake pedals.

I would much rather do some sort of advanced driver training and really push a cars limits and see what happens and get to know how it reacts. This would make me much more comfortable.
 
i imagine after "GTing" so long, I'd probably do pretty good with a stick.

Serious? Unless there is a wheel out there with a clutch and everything, the only thing you will learn is how to drive a Tiptronic or other manu-matic type transmission. It's like saying that playing GT4 all day will make you a better driver.
 
It's like saying that playing GT4 all day will make you a better driver.

You'd be shocked at the number of people think playing video games makes you a good driver.
 
oh yeah?
even Kazunori Yamauchi himself has said he felt his driving had majorly improved by playing his creation (see the interview on the special disk included with the GT2 soundtrack).

one thing I have noticed is avoidance maneuvers are now damn near instinctual, and since I drive by throttle real life, that got applied when I started playing GT.

and for your information, there were still a few "row your own" models left in the early eighties. my old man started to show me on a Golf I/Rabbit, and I believe on a Mazda B in the mid eighties. I was taught to use your EARS to detect shift points and danger. this is why I have to keep turning the radio off. I'm busy listening to the car, like guys that love the sound of a V8
 
oh yeah?
even Kazunori Yamauchi himself has said he felt his driving had majorly improved by playing his creation (see the interview on the special disk included with the GT2 soundtrack).

one thing I have noticed is avoidance maneuvers are now damn near instinctual, and since I drive by throttle real life, that got applied when I started playing GT.

and for your information, there were still a few "row your own" models left in the early eighties. my old man started to show me on a Golf I/Rabbit, and I believe on a Mazda B in the mid eighties. I was taught to use your EARS to detect shift points and danger. this is why I have to keep turning the radio off. I'm busy listening to the car, like guys that love the sound of a V8
I learned with my ears too. I learned manual on a dirt bike with no tach or speedo at all. Eventually you can get perfect upshifts/downshifts 100% of the time just by sound, that's something I've always loved. I used to do that on my '82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup because it was loud! But lately I've been driving my mom's 98 Tacoma while I wait until spring break to head south to get a car and it's so quiet you can't hear the motor. I just go by speedo there.
 
I learned with my ears too. I learned manual on a dirt bike with no tach or speedo at all. Eventually you can get perfect upshifts/downshifts 100% of the time just by sound, that's something I've always loved. I used to do that on my '82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup because it was loud! But lately I've been driving my mom's 98 Tacoma while I wait until spring break to head south to get a car and it's so quiet you can't hear the motor. I just go by speedo there.

dude, you had a rabbit pickup?! you know how hard them are to FIND?!

see, you can learn to shift by ear.
 
dude, you had a rabbit pickup?! you know how hard them are to FIND?!

see, you can learn to shift by ear.
They're not that rare. There are about 4 or 5 on thesamba for <1500 right now. I really miss it but I'm in high school, I can't afford to have a bike, daily driver Rabbit, and a Beetle project car. Might save up money for one before I go to college though.
 
Still a video game is no substitute from real world experience. Plus while GT might offer decent physics it still doesn't account for how you actually feel when you get behind the wheel. Clarkson proved that in the Top Gear episode where he raced the NSX around Laguna Seca.
 
Still a video game is no substitute from real world experience. Plus while GT might offer decent physics it still doesn't account for how you actually feel when you get behind the wheel. Clarkson proved that in the Top Gear episode where he raced the NSX around Laguna Seca.
*grin* I call a combination. since 03, I've been running daily anywhere between 100-200 miles/160-320 km, with only breif breaks inbetween, but I have also had a copy of Gran Turismo for 10 years. throw in the solution for controlling my Dyspraxia (where I've seen major improvements everywhere), and my driving has majorly improved.
 
Back