"FF Challenge - Professional" The Write-up

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 35 comments
I just wanted to give a big shout out to everyone who posted on this thread. I was having a miserable time with this race (actually, just the deep forest II race, the others I won quite easily). I tried every FF car I have and to no avail. Finally I decided to try tuning my car and IT WORKED!! I used my beetle cup car and messed with the setting enough that I took out the spoon civic quite handily.

Thanks again....

I think out of all the races in this series, Deep Forest was the hardest. When I first started this one, I was more afraid of D'azur, but this race actually gave me the most run for money.

As most people found when they attacked these races, Understeer is a major issue. After reading Neon and Der Alta's conversation, I knew I had to find a way to make those adjustments. This was a good start:

Understeer means the grip at the rear is stronger than that at the front. This makes the front of the car push, or reluctant to turn in. To reduce, increase grip at the front relative to the rear. Try these:

Raise ride height at rear, or lower ride height in front.

Soften front springs, and/or harden rear springs.

Soften front dampers, and/or harden rear dampers.

Soften front stabilizers, and/or harden rear stabilizers.

Increase front downforce, and/or decrease rear downforce.

Increase front camber, and/or decrease rear camber.

Oversteer means the grip at the front is stronger than that of the rear. This makes back of the car go sideways, or spin. To reduce, increase grip at the rear relative to the front. Try these:

Raise ride height at front, and/or lower ride height at rear.

Soften rear springs, and/or harden front springs.

Soften rear dampers, and/or harden front dampers.

Soften rear stabilizers, or harden front stabilizers.

Increase rear downforce, or decrease front downforce.

Increase rear camber, or decrease front camber.

Hope these guidelines help some other new racers like myself set up their car.

gah!

I was able to win the deepforest race with a stock citroen (294hp, 184nm torque @ 960kg vs beetle: 201hp, 199nm torque @ 840kg) very fair battle i think!

reading my writeup you'll find it went went down to the line with the beetle who tailed me all the way :)

the only thing i altered was the suspension (lowered).

Back