2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
That's the thing, they havent realised they don't need to fill out the grid with every type drivetrain car. Minus 4 FF and 5 AWD Gr.4 cars, the grid remains at 18 RWD choices(including the Gr.4 Supra). PD painted the series into a corner with the way they promoted Manufacturer Cup. Of course I wasn't in the board room that day, but I can imagine PD pushed to not leave a brand out. I mean, a Gr.4 Beetle could have been an option, but the length of time to build an FF into a RWD, is said to be time costing. So, we get the old N24 Scirocco.

Well, first up is the Evo. Then. I'll try the WRX nest race.
EodXsIRUwAApT4h
One solution: MULTI-CLASS GRIDS! I'd love to race Gr3/Gr4 combined, to make the races that much more interesting. I'd recommend it only in A/S or better lobbies, to avoid the garbage from people who don't respect racing protocols, but it would be a blast in the longer races.

Much better than Wednesday for me too! Although my disaterous DR may have something to do with that!

Qualified 2nd behind an Italian, ahead of a German and a Dane. Revving it up on the line, watch the lights, ready. Drop the handbrake... and the accelerator! :banghead: Only a momentary brain freeze so pick up quickly enough to go into turn 1 4th, get up to 3rd on the hairpin. we all hold sattion until I get a run on the Dane in second and get past on the last corner. The German gets past him as well and the three of us hold station, pulling away from the rest. for 9 laps the german driver is consistently .8 of a second behind, she (I assume its a she from the username) catches up slightly in the first half of the lap, I pull away a little through the second half. Slowly catching P1 then he goes wide at the big boy hairpin and has a little play in the sand. I get a great run on him and get the pass done at the first right hander at the top of the hill. He pits on lap 10 and we were so far ahead he comes out in third, and proceeds to reel the German in p3 and me in, getting the pass done on me into the first corner on lap 14. held it together to finish p2.

virtually no points down at DR D but I enjoyed it nonetheless!

8296278130345116168_0.jpg

8295715180930662920_0.jpg

8286707989728986624_0.jpg

8287270931763560960_0.jpg

8287270939816625672_0.jpg

8151595596885557760_0.jpg

8151595602925356544_0.jpg

Definitely a much better day than Wednesday! :)

Qualified P6, finished P3 in the Scoobaru (see livery below!).
Oh the livery! Work of genius!

Second race went a lot better considering my early DC and penalty-ridden race.
Door 19.
Fairly average quali had me starting 8th with a 1:29.999 (satisfying to see that lap time!), practice laps had been far better but couldn’t avoid some quali congestion.
First lap, kept my nose clean and was 4th after the banky boi. (See below video clips of my personal overtake of the year)

Top 5 ended up breaking away from the rest of the field.
3rd and 5th pitted on lap 9 and 11 respectively, one managed to catch and pass me on lap 14 but the other couldn’t get back at me. Finish 4th.

Pretty happy with that. 69 points and recovered DR from the earlier DC

Side note: can’t believe they deduct DR for disconnects! Pretty irritating

Turn 6 can go die in a fire. There's nothing like getting punted into the gravel in the name of mare nostrum and then getting slapped with a contact penalty.

Last edited:
I knew I would be at a disadvantage using the Mitsubishi, but every fiber of my body was refusing to use the Meta Car. So, I jumped into the Evo and noticed upon matchmaking that four other players had made the same choice. Qualifying went well and I ended up 8th on the grid. A Frenchman in another Evo who had beaten me by just 0.001 seconds was right in front of me. The other three were somewhere at the back and did not make an appearance in my race.

Due to the Evo's slow launch I lost a position to a Subaru right off the bat but by the end of the lap I was back in 8th. In the beginning stages of the race I passed and got passed but my position effectively stayed the same. By lap 3 I was the backmarker of the leading pack and when the two cars behind us served their penalties a gap started to open. In lap 4 I got promoted to 7th thanks to a penalty but a mistake in the final corner (where I went wide) demoted me right back to 8th. The Frenchman in the other Evo overhauled me and together we went after the cars ahead. They were all still tightly packed as nobody seemed to be able to break free. We would end up benefitting from this later on. In lap 7 the Frenchman had a poor run out of the hairpin and I went past to take 7th. In the final corner of the next lap a Subaru pushed another one wide, taking both of them off the track while a Swedish guy went into the pits. I was now in 4th. However my fellow French Evo driver missed his braking point on the following corner and nudged me slightly off the track. The timeloss wasn't too bad though. Plus he slowed right down and handed my position back to me instead of taking advantage of the incident first and apologizing later (Yes, whoever is feeling adressed by this, I'm looking at you ;)).

Not much was happening over the next few laps. Since the Frenchman was handed a 1 second penalty he fell back, leaving me on my own. The first three were in sight but they were too fast for me to catch up. Meanwhile the Swede who had pitted earlier was slowly closing in on me. By the beginning of lap 12 he was right up my trumpet. Simultaneously I was catching up with the Spaniard in 3rd who had made a mistake and seemed to be struggling with his tyres. Both me and the Swede got past him in the two final right handers. However by now my tyres were starting to give me a hard time as well. I went offtrack in the last corner and the Swede went past me again, cutting my appearance on the podium very short indeed. The Spaniard from earlier did even worse and hit the wall, meaning I would at least not lose another position. In lap 14 I lost 4th to a Brit in a Subaru who was just too fast for me to put up a fight. I hadn't met him before in the race so I guess he must've botched qualifying. When he went past I had another look behind and saw two cars, both of them with penalties. That took the pressure off, allowing me to bring my 5th place home.

EofYgtRXYAApKnz

Last edited:
I’ve seen enough Youtubers play GT Sport to know that A/S lobbies are just as filthy, if not worse than the B/S lobbies I drive in. They’re just sneakier about it and far more aggressive
This is true... that half-throttle 'brake check' 50m before the normal braking point, the squeezing off on high speed sweepers, the late dive blocks after holding half the outside line on entry... plenty of tricks that are common that don't register as 'dirty' to sim racers but would get you parked IRL.
Yeah, because even higher rated drivers know how racing works.
Ha! You have a point! But I would like the chance to run mixed class races... I think it would be fun. Maybe it would be a disaster- ok, it probably, surely would be a disaster, but the idea is fun.

I’ve seen enough Youtubers play GT Sport to know that A/S lobbies are just as filthy, if not worse than the B/S lobbies I drive in. They’re just sneakier about it and far more aggressive

Some of us here relish racing hard against them, and yes parking them at times.
The racing is great overall though, once you understand it.
It’s racing, tempers flare just like real life, when it’s funny is when people lose it over GAMING not RACING standards.
A stream gives no right to drive like a jerk, and everyone ought to treat them appropriately imo when they drive that way.
That’s racing.

Edit 99 lobbies at A and above on NA server are quite clean really once you get used to them and have matching pace and racecraft.
If you qualify out of position though they are awful, jmo

Last edited:
One solution: MULTI-CLASS GRIDS! I'd love to race Gr3/Gr4 combined, to make the races that much more interesting. I'd recommend it only in A/S or better lobbies, to avoid the garbage from people who don't respect racing protocols, but it would be a blast in the longer races.
PD would have to experiment first. Like have a multi-class N100/N100 race. Mini '65s and 500 F '68s. There's a 45BHP difference between the two. Baby steps. ;)

Gr3 and Gr4 doesn't have enough of a speed difference to make multiclass work smoothly in an open race. In a private league it can work because people will play ball or get banned, but with public races against strangers you need to up the delta by a lot so the faster class can slip by cleanly to avoid crashes.

Gr1/Gr3, or maybe Gr2/Gr4, is the kind of speed difference you need.

KosmoKazi:
unquote

Really do not appriciate that you seem to look down on drivers under A.
B racer myself and always try to race clean and respect the mentioned racing protocols, like many others in B, C, D and E.
The fact that you are faster/better driver as an A or S does not mean that you are morally superior to those in lower classes.

Last edited:
Had a good race tonight! Went in with Door #1, 255 for the win. Found a slip for once in Q and qualified P2, only got 1 lap in as I went hunting for slipstream on the second lap and ran out of time. The race started off well, I stuck to the leader and we pulled a 3s gap to the rest of the field, but I made a couple mistakes near the end of lap 6 and lost the slipstream, he was gone after that. Once that happened, P3 started to gain on me throughout the rest of the race, because I had pushed so hard early on trying to keep up with the leader, my tires were dying. He had closed to gap up to around .8/.9 going into the last couple of laps, but by then @Winnie847 had caught up to him from behind, and managed to slow him up enough that couldn’t catch my slip, while also getting around him to take P3. Great race man!! Always a pleasure! :cheers: Came home with P2 in the end for 244 points, biggest haul in quite a while. :)

4B93B711-D085-4F3A-93EC-A3BE57753464.jpeg

Last edited:
That was stupid. Could not push that Evo without burning the tires out. Then a mess of a grid. 14th or 15th. I don’t care. I’m still going to drink like I won the thing tonight.

And thanks to @Trone_Colby for being the cleanest driver in the race. At least that battle was fun.

Yeah that was a fun battle.

I started P13 and finished P12. A lot of battles in front of me, I saw people going three wide in T1.

Later I saw someone miss his braking and totally took out another racer at T1. I was almost a victim. It was the car behind me that got t-boned.

Yeah that was a fun battle.

I started P13 and finished P12. A lot of battles in front of me, I saw people going three wide in T1.

Later I saw someone miss his braking and totally took out another racer at T1. I was almost a victim. It was the car behind me that got t-boned.

Yeah! That Budweiser Impreza totally took that Evo out. Absolutely sickening. I'd seen that Evo driver ride him rough (he drove super aggressively). I saw he wasn't braking and immediately rebraked and straightened me car out to avoid him. But once you passed me, I was done. The tires were gone.

Last edited:
B racer myself and always try to race clean and respect the mentioned racing protocols, like many others in B, C, D and E.
The fact that you are faster/better driver as an A or S does not mean that you are morally superior to those in lower classes

I’ve been everywhere in game from top split FIA to EE wreckfest. I’ve punted sideswiped brakechecked had great races that left me shaking afterward.
You have a good point. I’ve enjoyed some of the best racing in C and B myself many times. Some folks at that rank have great racecraft and respect for Motorsport but maybe they don’t have as much time in as someone like myself on this game...
I’d say faster does not equal better AT ALL in terms of sim driving. Fast? Ok you put in a lot of time. Doesn’t mean you have one ounce of respect for others, or RACING necessarily. I myself have done a lot on alt that I regret looking back and realizing hey maybe that guy honestly just got overexcited and missed his braking point. Maybe the guy who hit me was honestly doing his best to race fair and then I took out my frustrations on him? What sense does that make? Yea, there’s certain players I know...I know they know what they do is wrong, for them I have no sympathy and yep they’re gonna be offed by me.
There’s been times tho like for whatever reason I end up going too negative, probably due to like my current situation being home, injured, but playing this much has made me realize I had things right from the beginning-clean is best.
I try to share what I know to try to shorten guys learning curves-lol maybe it’s from GUILT lmao or SUPERSTITION LOL. Maybe karma is real!
Anyways FairPlay to you for mentioning that re different levels.
It’s easy if you’ve put in excessive amounts of time to forget what it was like to enter your very first online race...The nerves etc the difficulty imagining how in the world those guys are 10 seconds a lap faster on qualifying time.
I remember my excitement the first time I ever saw a B dr driver on pole position in my c room. I remember getting to B and falling back to C and thinking B is impossible there’s no way I can race these guys...
I think many streamers get this self absorbed only car on track mentality just looking to self promote at others expense it’s bull crap imo. I mean at some point stop clubbing baby seals for crying out loud no one wants to see that. Further just being A ain’t nothin there’s sooooo much further to go and people are smoother and quicker in racing than that.
I just agree. Although I have bullied others at times I believe in standing up for what’s right in racing. Right isn’t treating slower drivers like peons to be slalomed and oh well kinda tapped him wide whoops he broke too early there nothing I could do.
That’s so so so wrong to quip those bits while starting last. It’s horrible.
I mean this could be that guys one night he has a chance to go (or she) online and race, you know this racer gets prepared does their best is really into it and here comes Joelookatmystreamcheckmeoutontwitchimajerk streamer and smashes that person off or hits them and then speeds off into the distance. It’s manure.
Some of these people even have fans watching, but not many will ever think maybe the racer that got hit had mental health issues due to Covid and maybe getting badly treated online was another straw on the camels back to worsening mental condition. You don’t know...
I really dislike bullies lol. Anyways I think what you said was great.

Had a good race tonight!

Man you deserve a good one every now and then!
It’s like golf, once in a while a couple putts have to drop!

Last edited:
Nations went about as expected, although I was hoping for better as I was slowly improving my lap time the last couple of days.

I get out early for qualy, knowing that I don't want to get caught up in traffic in this combo. I'm not setting a great lap time, by any means, but it gets even worse when I get knocked off track during the runup to the double right hander. I almost jumped out but went on the put in the lap as a banker. Bad idea as I was so steamed I missed my braking point on T1 and ended up in the grass. By the time I jumped out and tried for another Q, I couldn't complete my out lap in time. Literally all the guy said after qualy ended was, "You should've got out of my way."

I start in P13. I get a decent jump at the start an move up a couple of positions the first few turns. I then get involved in what turned out to be a 5 car fight for P5. There's so much jostling and bunching up that we are setting incredibly slow lap times but surprisingly the group behind us isn't catching up to us. What is going on, though, is the leaders are pulling away and any slight chance I may have had for a podium is long gone by L5. As crowded as it was, it was pretty clean racing. Lots of slipstream passing on the straight before banky-boi, lots of sliding up the inside, lots of good, clean fun. Then PD had to go and get all stupid on me. On L7 two of us are heading into banky-boi and the guy on my inside pulls ahead a little bit but also goes wide coming out of the turn. In that exchange I tap his bumper as he's cutting across me and get a 1 sec penalty. That penalty lost me about 4-5 places on the next lap.

I was already thinking about a 1-stopper as I knew from my practice races that the last couple laps are brutal in this race and most of the people around me were shredding their tires pretty bad. After the penalty, I knew for sure I'd pit out in last place but in clean air and no traffic. So, I went ahead and did it. I come out in P18 not too far off the back of the pack. And not being in traffic, I actually start to set decent lap times. I slowly start improving my time lap over lap as I navigate back up the grid. By the end of it I'm catching up to two guys fighting for P7 right at the end. Try as I might I can't make up that final gap and finish P9. Although, I'm pretty sure without that stupid penalty I would've caught them and had a good chance at P7. Oh, well. I'll take it and run, the Hawaii football game is coming on. (They were getting clobbered so bad in the 1st quarter that I turned it off and came here to write this report instead. Ouch.)

That's it for me this week, I got a couple of gigs coming up that will keep me from the next round of both series. That's okay, I guess. I probably could use the break.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201205153927.jpg

Second slot. I was thrown into a room with 204 points for the win. Only one brave soul picked the Lancer. Just like last week, I didn't practice until the last minute but the combination suited me quite well this time. Qualified 10th. I was half-expecting things to go wrong at the start, but to my relief, there was no drama on my end of this race.

full

The highlight of the race was a great battle with 5th towards the end. I was right on their tail going into the final lap and passed them on turn 2 and I guarded the inside line coming into the banked turn. Unfortunately though, I cut the track just a smidge on the penultimate corner, giving me a 0.5 second penalty and I dropped back down to 6th upon crossing the finish line. Gutted that I was so close to getting a top 5 finish but still happy with my result as I still got over 150 points. However, I think I could have gotten podium if I had put more time into this.

2020/21 Exhibition Series - Season 2 - Round 2
Nations Cup
Race #2 - Gr.4 - Subaru WRX Gr.4
Autodrome Lago Maggiore - West

Saddled up for the WRX v Lancer Gr4 in Round 2, after finally getting comfortable with some practice laps at the end of the FP session before the first slot.

Qualified with what felt solid but proved too far off my best FP time to grid higher than 14th in a tough lobby with close times, and a few real solid A+/S DR guys at the front. I had slotted in at #20, so I knew a top-10 was going to be a reasonable but realistic target from there.

Got stuck behind a Proud Honda driver and another guy going at it like fools the whole first half of the race, holding up anyone behind 10th place, which he had stolen from my by plowing me off the corner exit early in the race. Decided to not challenge them but it was frustrating to be stuck behind that nonsense. Was pretty sure a top 10 finish was doable if that hadn't been the case.

Had a good tough battle with one guy who was faster but I think had pitted for fresh tires, and was able to hold him off while he tried to make the outside work entering the complex third sector. It didn't. Finished 12th.

Reasonable race, but a bit of a letdown with some of above those factors making it less of a fair race than it should have been.

upload_2020-12-5_20-8-15.png

Subaru WRX Gr.4
Qualified: 14th
Race Finish: 12th (94 pts)
Door #20 (about -200 DR)

Yeah! That Budweiser Impreza totally took that Evo out. Absolutely sickening. I'd seen that Evo driver ride him rough (he drove super aggressively). I saw he wasn't braking and immediately rebraked and straightened me car out to avoid him. But once you passed me, I was done. The tires were gone.

That dude (the victim) was rough with me as well. I had to do this to him lol:

That move was a beauty

KosmoKazi:
unquote

The fact that you are faster/better driver as an A or S does not mean that you are morally superior to those in lower classes.

I fully sympathize with your statement and I would say there is as much dirty going on in the higher ranks, just more subtle.
But knowing him I don't think he meant it as a job to people below S, it's just that in order to run multiclass in sport mode you need to have a lot of hours seat time. Multiclass is a lot more risky than one-class racing.
And I as a C/B DR driver makes more mistakes than the S or A+ driver. So I just think that was what he meant.

Today's Nations Cup race summarized:

bar-brawl.gif

My pace today was... terrible, to put it nicely. I did really bad in slot 1. Slot 2, I did better, but I also ended up in some long battles that had me get a bit impatient
6th place finish in slot 2 for 22x points, so I'm running with that.

Anybody jumping into the Nations race In the 19:00 /7:00pm slot on the West Coast? If so hope to see y ou I’ll be racing under OCULUS _34 act. because I’m having trouble with my ILLEAGLE_34 sign in ID from an old job but I can’t get a hold of them.

I fully sympathize with your statement and I would say there is as much dirty going on in the higher ranks, just more subtle.
But knowing him I don't think he meant it as a job to people below S, it's just that in order to run multiclass in sport mode you need to have a lot of hours seat time. Multiclass is a lot more risky than one-class racing.
And I as a C/B DR driver makes more mistakes than the S or A+ driver. So I just think that was what he meant.
Thanks. Correct. No offense meant. And it’d likely still be a mess at A DR, as there are plenty of drivers with bad manners at all ranks in reality.

I really wanted to be one-and-done today for a change, but nope...

Slot 1
Qualified 7th in a race with @Winnie847 and @Pigems, and would've finished there had I not absolutely botched the last sector and lost 2 spots. Either way, I needed 6th to reach my 200 point goal, and I felt I had the pace for a better result, so I would've had to go again regardless.

Slot 2

Screwed up qualifying and started 13th. After someone knocked down both cones going into the braking zone at the end of the back straight, I missed my braking marker and wiped out both myself and another player. Quit because there was nothing left to salvage as I was running 19th of 19, and way behind the rest of the pack.

Slot 3

Qualified 11th, which became 10th after someone was disconnected before the start. After a few people ahead served penalties, I was inside the Top 10, and spent most of the race around 7th in the slipstream of 2 cars ahead of me. Unfortunately the 2 ahead of me started to fight, and what was a 3-car breakaway from the rest of the Top 10 (but well behind the first 4 or 5 drivers) grew to at least 5 as more cars were able to latch onto my slipstream. Towards the end of the race, there was a train of maybe 5 of us fighting over 5th place, but it was largely clean. Eventually I finished 6th, right behind the guy I accidentally wiped out the previous race. This was good enough for 238 points, and actually a much better start to the season than I was expecting. I only made 1 actual overtake the entire race.

The entire night I really struggled with Turn 3, and I would lose several tenths in that corner alone, which left me too far behind to try to overtake at the end of the back straight. I was constantly afraid of running wide, so I could never get on the gas as soon as those in front of me. I was probably the quickest driver through Turns 1 and 2, and could probably close at least 5 car lengths there before losing that and more at Turn 3. It was really only the slipstream and other peoples' penalties that kept me in contention with those around me.

Last edited:
Manufacturers - Gr.3 Monza NC

MlykDLf.jpg

Once again, my inability to find a tow sent me to the back of the grid. I ended up completely bottling the start by understeering off Curva Grande under slipstream and cold tyres. Fortunately, I was able to keep the Viper pointed in the right direction on the gravel, while a Honda and Porsche spun out and allowed me to retain 18th.

0XJiotq.jpg

I then proceed to completely butcher Roggia chicane with my dirty tyres, but I was able to catch up to the pack by Ascari and climb to 14th by my second run through Ascari thanks to mistakes and penalties from other drivers. One incident involved a NSX in default livery trying to divebomb a Peugeot into Roggia, only to brake too late, collide with the pink NSX and spin himself out.
xC2RGx5.jpg
4EqC6lf.jpg

Unfortunately, 13th was too far ahead to hitch a tow, leaving me to try working together with a Peugeot to try and catch up to the others by taking turns slipstreaming each other, which didn't work as we kept tripping over each other in the corners, especially at Roggia chicane.
a51kxfx.jpg

On lap 7, the pink NSX I had raced in RBR Short cuts the Roggia chicane and runs wide at both Lesmos. This string of mistakes allowed the Peugeot and I to catch up and pass him, before resuming our comedy routine of slipstreaming and tripping over each other to the finish line, with me finishing 13th for 90 points.
A0vebZo.jpg
hwbkXsd.jpg
m1ht1Zc.jpg

BbF5xyv.jpg
CvmUSz7.jpg

I decided not to go again, not wanting to risk running into a pileup at Roggia chicane. One and done.

Nations - Subaru vs Mitsubishi Lago Maggiore West
ky20UMF.jpg

Livery by PizzaVoid

Strategy: No stop

After the abysmal Race 1 and getting DCed from Race 2, I went in to Race 3 aiming to beat my 97 points from the Yaris race. I ended up hitching a tow from JOJO55 and grabbing 2nd with a 1:28.994, with a Lancer taking pole 2 tenths ahead. However, the Lancer's poor start allowed me to take the lead, while the Lancer slipped to 4th by turn 3.

qlctcWl.jpg

However, I would slip up on lap 5, running wide out of turn 1 and consequently going very wide through turn 2, allowing the Lancer to retake the lead.
puwamtr.jpg

WDb1zGZ.jpg

I tried to keep pace with the Lancer, but constant attacks from the pack behind allowed the Lancer to run away while I defended my position.

lDLXrDq.jpg

There is 1 imposter among us.
L9MbuwH.jpg
XCJwR8Q.jpg

I would ultimately convert 2nd on the grid to 2nd at the line, taking 161 points for my best point haul yet. While I am somewhat disappointed at losing the win to a single mistake, I was not expecting to get top 10 today, let alone a podium.
JQgdR3U.jpg
IdfR71c.jpg
sXw4hUK.jpg

With 161 points in hand, I'm looking at a good chance to get S rank next season:
rol2MBG.png

Last edited:
Back