Fictional or Authentic race cars (POLL)?

• Thread starter Matej
  • 43 comments

What kind of race cars would you prefer for GT7?

• Total voters

Matej

Premium
Croatia
Zagreb
Attention! Read this post before voting!

It has been widely known that Polyphony often incorporates some of their fictional cars that never appeared in public. This fictional cars are either completely delivered from Polyphony's imagination (e.g. CRX Del Sol LM from GT1) or they loosely imitate specific real-life racing event (e.g. Integra Touring Car from GT4 onwards as a BTCC/WTCC vehicle).

Hypothetical Pros of fictional cars:

Economy - Polyphony doesn't need to travel to other part of world to model that specific authentic race car, saving time required to develop the car and funds of the studio.

Personality - Given that liveries are usually not official, they can incorporate several color combinations of the livery, allowing players to personalize their car and even change chassis number or the wheels on the car. Under this circumstances, Polyphony wouldn't have to add more than two cars of that class because in online departments all players would differ one from each other. Since everything depends on team's imagination they can add several different fictional liveries to add diversities.

Apart from the Integra, imagine the example below:

thumbnail.php
thumbnail.php

The two models above are fictional replicas of BTCC vehicles that competed in the past. They can be found in Toca World Touring car game. The studio probably saved lot of time and money by coming up with their own design, which is very interesting and realistic. If these cars were featured in GT series, Polyphony could add different color combination of each model, ability to change number and wheels. Because the cars are not authentic (albeit their performances are!), their value or image wouldn't be decreased because they don't exist.

Pros of authentic cars is well known - realism, above everything else. Participating with authentic car is always enjoyable, especially if the car in question is famous. The example below:

thumbnail.php

The GTS-R, which debuted in GT3, is authentic car. But what would happen if several of them appear in online event? Changing number or the body color (assuming that would be possible - even worse if it isn't.)
would devastate the car's image, plus, all drivers would want to participate with authentic model. Under such circumstances, Polyphony would have to add several authentic cars of that class (event) to allow for diversity. We know that, according to the past experience, many authentic race cars didn't have their own rival to play with, neither it was possible to create diversity in online departments.

After everything I have stated above, my question is: would you approve several fictional cars that perfectly simulate (for instance) BTCC or Le Mans racing machines or do you prefer nothing but authentic race cars?

Remember:
Fictional car - real cars with fictional liveries or fictional cars with either real or fictional liveries.
Authentic car - those that look exactly the same as their real-life counterpart, with the possible exception of lack of number or missing sponsor on specific part of the body.

Last edited:
I would like authentic cars provided they filled out the entirety of the classes. For example: for GT1 cars I would like to see a real Corvette Racing C6R, an Aston Martin Racing DBR9, a Vitaphone MC12 GT1 and more. Each class should have at least 12 different cars/liveries available and it would be preferred if they were authentic but fictional paint schemes aren't too bad if there aren't enough official liveries.

I would like authentic cars provided they filled out the entirety of the classes. For example: for GT1 cars I would like to see a real Corvette Racing C6R, an Aston Martin Racing DBR9, a Vitaphone MC12 GT1 and more. Each class should have at least 12 different cars/liveries available and it would be preferred if they were authentic but fictional paint schemes aren't too bad if there aren't enough official liveries.
Uh, that would demand lot of time to model those authentic cars. I remember how this used to be cost-effective only for games (Toca series, GTR, etc.) that actually acquired a license of the series they were trying to replicate. But I do find the second part interesting - to made several fictional liveries of one authentic car to avoid sponsorship issues and others.

What others think of this? I see many votes, but no explanation of each. Share some of your ideas, it may be helpful to Polyphony. :)

Uh, that would demand lot of time to model those authentic cars. I remember how this used to be cost-effective only for games (Toca series, GTR, etc.) that actually acquired a license of the series they were trying to replicate. But I do find the second part interesting - to made several fictional liveries of one authentic car to avoid sponsorship issues and others.

What others think of this? I see many votes, but no explanation of each. Share some of your ideas, it may be helpful to Polyphony. :)
That is the approach SMS took and I like it. I wish they could all be authentic liveries but in the absence of that, some well thought out and authentic looking fictional liveries would be a nice touch. It would fill out the grids and make them look much more authentic and attractive vs. a grid full of identical cars with identical numbers in a one make race.

A good idea would to make spin offs of real liveries in the Gran Turismo LM guise.

So instead of the Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca, we haev the Dodge Viper GTS LM Race Car '99 with a fictional livery similar to the Oreca livery but with GT sponsors. We get authentic looking race cars and PD don't need to worry about licencing with Team Oreca and such.

I would like to have both. The autentic real racing cars would be interesting, but the cars with fictional liveries would be also interesting for me. So I voted for the third option. 👍

I would like to have both. The autentic real racing cars would be interesting, but the cars with fictional liveries would be also interesting for me. So I voted for the third option. 👍
The poll is for the cars themselves, not the liveries. You can have fictional liveries on real or fantasy cars.

The poll is for the cars themselves, not the liveries. You can have fictional liveries on real or fantasy cars.
Actually, term fictional car alludes to both real cars with fictional liveries or fictional cars with either real or fictional liveries. By authentic car I aim on those that look exactly the same as their real-life counterpart, with the possible exception of lack of number or missing sponsor on specific part of the body.

This could be confusing, but it shouldn't change one's opinion as we basically deal with the same matter. I have updated the OP with the explanation above.

Regarding the matter, how many of you claim that Polyphony's fictional liveries or cars are not ingenuous enough?

Below, I found one interesting fictional livery built for GT Legends community. Imagine you could change number on the body and the main color. In this case, Polyphony would probably have to pay fee for using Castrol brand, but I'm sure it would be much less expensive than several authentic liveries the Mini of that time had in events.

iu

There's plenty of good fantasy liveries for sims on PC so I don't see why PDI couldn't do them on the same body as real race cars:

05.jpg

30-May-08-3614-RothmansEpsilon%2008.jpg

20-Mar-07-3589-NISSAN.jpg

19-Feb-10-0768-VALVeRACINg%20TEAm.jpg

rF2_80sScreen04.jpg

81639.jpg

attachment.php

If PD do stuff like this (and the stuff in PCars) then I'll be happy.

Only authentic for me. Driving a McLaren MP4/4 without the Marlboro livery or a Lancia Delta rally car without the Martini livery just isn't the same.

Economy - Polyphony doesn't need to travel to other part of world to model that specific authentic race car, saving time required to develop the car and funds of the studio.

To me that would be like PD not putting a few corners on tracks like the Ring or Spa just because it's easier and faster to make.

Only authentic for me. Driving a McLaren MP4/4 without the Marlboro livery or a Lancia Delta rally car without the Martini livery just isn't the same.

To me that would be like PD not putting a few corners on tracks like the Ring or Spa just because it's easier and faster to make.
Except the Marlboro livery is impossible because of advertising laws.

It is possible , if PD doesn't mind having their game rated +18.

And plus i was just giving out an example.
Yeah, because PD are going to have their game rated 18 just because there is a tobacco company as a sponsor on 1 car out of over 1000. Hence why they removed the tobacco and alcohol (and other) sponsors from some cars, such as the Jaguar XJR-9 LM.

If circumstances get in the way where they can't get a car in the game with some sort of notable racing history, by all means they should just fake it. That's basically what they did in the titles prior to GT3 anyway.

That being said, in such a situation doing so would seem pretty worthless without the stock car to compare it to.

Last edited:
I like to have a mixture of both. I love driving the Oreca Viper GTS-R and the BMW McLaren F1 GTR (Longtail) but I also love driving fictional cars like the Camaro LM Race Car or the Ford GT LM Spec II as well. Makes me feel like I'm making history in a new car (Just wish they didn't have that big GT on all of them).

A little off topic, but honestly, if PD doesn't want to worry about striking a balance of authentic and fictional cars, I say just give us a livery editor and the base model of the car. If it isn't authentic, we'll make it authentic ourselves. We'll put the real livery on it for you. That way you have a perfect balance of authentic race cars and fictional race cars.

The problem I found with fictional cars in the series is lack of imagination on certain cars. The GT LM Spec II is just road-going GT with spoiler on the back. Many models (particularly recent ones) feature nothing more than a big GT logo or few obvious elements regarding car's identity - remember Zonda LM or all those stealth cars, for instance. The RX-8 LM from GT4, in my opinion, is a great example of how decent fictional car should look like.

And if anyone is interested in viewing what kind of great job Polyphony did back in old days, visit this link. Members of that forum collected many racing modifications from GT2 and provided with their real-life counterpart. Very impressive what can be found, just check all the pages.

Not quite. There are many compromises Polyphony can make to cars and people still wouldn't notice it. With tracks it is much different, details are very important and visible, so Polyphony must pay more attention when modeling them.

Not quite. There are many compromises Polyphony can make to cars and people still wouldn't notice it. With tracks it is much different, details are very important and visible, so Polyphony must pay more attention when modeling them.

And details aren't important and visible on cars? Why have fake cars when we can have the real deal?

And details aren't important and visible on cars?
Yes, they are, but they won't be as important as details on a circuit. For instance, even if the Lister Storm doesn't have a number on its body or it features 50 kilos less than it should, it won't be as perceivable as poorly modeled corner on Laguna Seca or Daytona Speedway.
Why have fake cars when we can have the real deal?
Time, money and sponsorship policy. Eliminate these three factors and Polyphony could incorporate bunch of authentic cars. Because they cannot be eliminated, fictional cars should be there, as flawless as possible.

Licenced cars aren't that necessary IMO.

I mean, do we really need this:
TPMoutside.jpg

When we already have this:
mazda_atenza_touring_car.jpg

Time, money and sponsorship policy. Eliminate these three factors and Polyphony could incorporate bunch of authentic cars. Because they cannot be eliminated, fictional cars should be there, as flawless as possible.

But that's what's gonna differenciate a good game from a bad game , that's why a game like pCars throws me off , fake sponsors , fake adverts scaterred around the tracks , fake liveries , fake cars , i don't want that. Every bit counts in terms of immersion.

Polyphony could incorporate bunch of authentic cars.

If the cars aren't true to real life , they aren't really authentic.

Hell , why do we even have real cars when we could have fake cars? They'd be easier to make too.

But that's what's gonna differenciate a good game from a bad game , that's why a game like pCars throws me off , fake sponsors , fake adverts scaterred around the tracks , fake liveries , fake cars , i don't want that. Every bit counts in terms of immersion.

If the cars aren't true to real life , they aren't really authentic.

Hell , why do we even have real cars when we could have fake cars? They'd be easier to make too.
I don't see the need for all the real sponsors and teams. Sure they add to the immersion but it really isn't that necessary for the game, I mean PCars has made up liveries and sponsors so why can't GT?

I don't see the need for all the real sponsors and teams. Sure they add to the immersion but it really isn't that necessary for the game, I mean PCars has made up liveries and sponsors so why can't GT?

Because GT isn't pCars , just because they decided to go that route doesn't mean GT has to. And it's not the liveries i'm worried about , it's about the cars themselves. I don't want a car that just resembles a Z4 GT3 or a 787b , i want the real deal.

Because GT isn't pCars , just because they decided to go that route doesn't mean GT has to. And it's not the liveries i'm worried about , it's about the cars themselves. I don't want a car that just resembles a Z4 GT3 or a 787b , i want the real deal.
Except GT has been doing it for years in the guise of the LM and Touring race cars. And, you have the Z4 GT3 and 787B (and a whole lot of other licenced race cars) in GT6 as well so it's not like they are forgetting about them. In fact, more licenced race cars were added in GT5 and GT6 than fictional LM cars were so I don't think there are any causes for concern.

Except GT has been doing it for years in the guise of the LM and Touring race cars. And, you have the Z4 GT3 and 787B (and a whole lot of other licenced race cars) in GT6 as well so it's not like they are forgetting about them. In fact, more licenced race cars were added in GT5 and GT6 than fictional LM cars were so I don't think there are any causes for concern.

I'm not saying there is a problem. I'm just expressing my opinion.

The problem I found with fictional cars in the series is lack of imagination on certain cars. The GT LM Spec II is just road-going GT with spoiler on the back. Many models (particularly recent ones) feature nothing more than a big GT logo or few obvious elements regarding car's identity - remember Zonda LM or all those stealth cars, for instance.
I voted for fantasy cars and liveries too. There are so many cars which deserve to be race specced in this game. I've proposed this very thing several times over the years, as far back as GT4 days. But as you state, PD artists have a problem coming up with authentic looking liveries for these fantasy rides. They need to hire a couple of artists skilled in livery design to make the skins for these cars. As examples, rather than looking to P CARS, I'd check out any Forza forum from F4 onward, because there are some seriously talented folk in that community. Some who make a virtual living designing liveries for people, or selling them in the Auction House - at least in Forza 4.

If PD would just give us Race Mod and a Livery Editor of our own, this wouldn't be an issue. When I go on vacation, I think I'll bust out F4 and see if I can stir up a little more enthusiasm for the inclusion in GT7.

I voted for fantasy cars and liveries too. There are so many cars which deserve to be race specced in this game. I've proposed this very thing several times over the years, as far back as GT4 days. But as you state, PD artists have a problem coming up with authentic looking liveries for these fantasy rides. They need to hire a couple of artists skilled in livery design to make the skins for these cars. As examples, rather than looking to P CARS, I'd check out any Forza forum from F4 onward, because there are some seriously talented folk in that community. Some who make a virtual living designing liveries for people, or selling them in the Auction House - at least in Forza 4.

If PD would just give us Race Mod and a Livery Editor of our own, this wouldn't be an issue. When I go on vacation, I think I'll bust out F4 and see if I can stir up a little more enthusiasm for the inclusion in GT7.
I raced thousands of races online in GT5 and GT6 and race mod cars were probably the least popular of all cars above 400PP. Even with a race mod and livery editor, people would still prefer real cars to fantasy cars any day. Lots of GT500/300 rooms, tons of Nascar rooms, quite a number of LMP rooms, a smattering of DTM rooms etc. Race mod rooms almost non-existant. Racing a bunch of cars within a series will always be more popular than racing a bunch of fantasy cars because most people are drawn to the game to attempt to recreate the real world in some way.

Back