• Audio Format___:
  • Demo___________:
  • Release Dates
    • JPN = TBA, 2009
    • USA = TBA, 2010
    • EUR = TBA, 2010

LINKS

DESCRIPTION

Final Fantasy XIII is the flagship title of the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII collection. The game shares a common mythology with Final Fantasy Agito XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but they are not directly related to each other. Motomu Toriyama, a director and scenario writer of previous Final Fantasy titles, will direct and write the game's story.

The plot focuses on the fal'Cie, a race existing beyond humanity. The people marked by the fal'Cie for a greater purpose are named the l'Cie.

Some thirteen centuries ago, a mythical Crystal told the fal'Cie to construct a paradise for humanity. The shell-like city of Cocoon was created to float high above the surface of the world now known as Pulse, and it was maintained by its own Crystal. Cocoon's Crystal created life forms and machines for its inhabitants to use, and humanity flourished.

Over time, the people of Cocoon began to fear for the safety of their world, and were worried that it would be cast down from the sky.

In present day, the wilderness of Pulse has strange effects on people, and the theocratic Holy Government of Cocoon quarantines and exiles anyone who has been influenced by Pulse from the city with the help of its mighty army. A former soldier of that army, a woman codenamed Lightning is chosen by the fal'Cie against her will to become a l'Cie, and with that to be an enemy of humanity and bring about the downfall of Cocoon.

KEY FEATURES

The concept for Final Fantasy XIII's battle system is to maintain the strategic nature of command-based battles. The system stemmed from a desire to create battles similar to those found in Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.

Like those in Final Fantasy XII, battle sequences are integrated into the world environment. The Active Time Battle (ATB) system will return, but is expected to work differently from its predecessors.

The battle system that was shown during the E3 2006 trailer was only a prototype. Recently, Square Enix showed battle footage in various Japanese magazines and trailers which introduced a new interface.

You can only control one character at a time in battle, although battle parties of up to three characters have been shown. You can stack up to three commands per turn and release them all at the same time to form a combo. These commands include series staples such as Attack, Fire, Blizzard and Cure, as well as new ones such as Launch, which sends the enemy up in the air.

The game does not make use of MP but introduces "cost points" for each command. Cost points determine how many times the commands can be used per turn.

The overclock gauge from the prototype battle system is replaced with a break bar.

The minimap shown earlier has also disappeared from the battle interface.

The player is able to view the HP and name of the enemy before engaging it in battle. When the player engages an enemy, the camera moves to another position and the battle menu appears, making the battle transitions nearly seamless.

The classic summoned creatures will return in Final Fantasy XIII. Carbuncle emerges from a disc-like object when it is touched by the character Vanille, Ifrit and Siren also appear doing performances in a trailer. Shiva will return and takes the form of a pair of sisters who can merge into a motorcycle, which the character Snow rides, and can use ice to create a path to drive on.

• Release Dates
    • USA = TBA, 2010
So I should have just enough time to finish LBP before it come out. That's good news! :P

It's nice to see Carbuncle, Shiva and friends will be back, too. 👍

Any word on Biggs/Vicks and Wedge yet? :lol:

Sound good, but you forgot 2 other FFX games.

Final fantasy XIII
Final fantasy Versus XIII
Final fantasy Agito

Last edited:
I LOVE the Final Fantasy games, they have the best story lines in the world and an awesome atmosphere to them, funny part is I've never finished one. Sad part is I always get right to the end and for some reason stop playing. Annoying part is I simply don't have time for FF games any more.

Can't wait for this game. Should be interesting to see the new world in action. I think we'll be blown away by this one though.:)

Oh I have the Japanese Demo to play, one of my mates on my course ordered it.

Will let you know my impressions.

I pre-ordered Advent Children complete with the Final Fantasy XIII demo in January. I've had it for ages, but I can't bring myself to open it. I kinda want to keep it as a collectable. I can't watch the movie anyway, as it's the wrong region. :)

can't wait for this to come out. I've been a pretty big FF fan ever since FF3 (USA in japan it was FF6). Just not sure if i'll be getting it for the ps3 or xbox360. Does anyone know if it's being designed for the ps3 and then ported over to the xbox360 or the other way around? Final fantasy to me has always been a playstation brand/game to me, will be funny to see if it's designed on the xbox360 and ported over for ps3.

I'm not sure if that's the way they develop games, having said that if what you said is true, then I'd say it's being developed for PS3 then ported over to the X360, considering the PS3 has a demo and the X360 doesn't.

can't wait for this to come out. I've been a pretty big FF fan ever since FF3 (USA in japan it was FF6). Just not sure if i'll be getting it for the ps3 or xbox360. Does anyone know if it's being designed for the ps3 and then ported over to the xbox360 or the other way around? Final fantasy to me has always been a playstation brand/game to me, will be funny to see if it's designed on the xbox360 and ported over for ps3.

By the way, no one has a clue when FF XIII will appear for the 360. Rumors are that the thing could be delayed a long time.

Considering an early build demo has already been released for the PS3, and nothing for the 360, is already a pretty good indication which platform is the lead development on... not to mention the fact that a 360 version isn't even being planned for their own market, Japan, also suggests the PS3 is the lead platform.

The other problem for the 360 version is likely going to be the size of the game. I suspect it will be as large as MGS4, which required a 50GB Blu-ray disc. Without sacrificing quality and content, the 360 version would have to be on multiple discs... something almost never seen on a console game release, let alone a 360 game. In fact, consider Mass Effect, which was ported to Windows from the 360 version, and allowed them to increase the size and make some significant improvements over the 360 version.

However, even the Windows version of Mass Effect was still less than 12GB compared to the 360 version which was 7GB (which is about the max amount of game data that can be stored on a duel layer DVD... as about 2GB is needed for system data and other info). The PS3 version of FFXIII could quite easily end up being several times larger.

Another possible difference is HD lossless audio, which only the PS3 supports... and quality sound can and does add a lot to a game, and has been for this series.

So while there is no official word on which platform the game is primarily being designed for, the indications so far suggest pretty strongly that it is for the PS3.

Without sacrificing quality and content, the 360 version would have to be on multiple discs... something almost never seen on a console game release, let alone a 360 game.
Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX on the Playstation were on progressively more discs, I believe. Once the jump was made from CD to DVD on the PS2, we haven't had a multi-disc FF game since 2000, that I am aware of.

Regardless, I'm very excited about this new addition to the FF series. 👍

good info. I hope they utilize the available disc space and hardware capabilities and render the game in native FULL 1080p. Come on Sony/Square-enix, show me what you got!!!

Extended trailer

http://au.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/8...i/videos/ffxiii_trl_adventchildren_52109.html

Nice, but the real time graphics are lacking because it's an Xbox game now. That's sad because Final Fantasy games are usually some of the best looking games each generation. Uncharted 2, MGS4, Heavy Rain, and pretty much every single quality PS3 game has better graphics and character models

About the trailer, Snow is such an annoying character. Lightning knocks his teeth out at the end of the trailer and he still keeps yappin'

knockout.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info on the upcoming FF XIII and the great trailer above. Yep very much looking forward to this game. Canada has a release date of Dec.2010.

Am I to get this right there will be 3 games under the FF XIII title.

Japan release date is December 17th 2009. I'm thinking of importing it even though my Japanese vocabulary consists of about 20 words.

Can't. 🤬 Wait.

Oh and Star Ocean: The Last Hope is a three disc game on the 360. ;)

Please do, I'm looking forward to this when it comes out over here.

Alright, I'm about 11 hours into the game so far and it's pretty linear. That's not a bad thing though, it's similar to FFX how you only really have one way that you can go but the areas are designed well so it's still interesting.

The battle system is really good in my opinion. It's fast paced like X-2 was and you can change jobs in mid battle. You only have direct control over one character but it would actually be worse if you controlled multiple characters at once because of how quick it is. There is almost constant action. It's definitely more challenging than the other games in the series, I've lost a decent number of battles. Really only around 10 or 15 but compared to other FF games where I could get half way through the game without seeing the game over screen at all it's definitely a change. When you do get game over it's nice that it just starts you back right before the battle instead of at the last time you saved so losing a battle isn't frustrating.

The leveling system is similar to the Sphere Grid but each character has their own "grid" as opposed to having only their own section. Each character also has a separate grid for each of their jobs. When you win battles you are awarded CP which is used to progress on the board.

So far I've really been enjoying the game. I can't understand most of the dialogue because my Japanese isn't very good but the story is interesting from what I can understand of the dialogue and from what I've seen. It's kind of late here though so I'm going to sleep. If you want me to elaborate on something I'd be happy to do so.

Yeah I have the PS3 version. It didn't come out on the Xbox 360 in Japan and I only have a PS3. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions come out in the US on March 9th, 2010.

Yeah I have the PS3 version. It didn't come out on the Xbox 360 in Japan and I only have a PS3. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions come out in the US on March 9th, 2010.

Does the ps3 version play in 720p or 1080p? Thats my biggest gripe with the ps3 games that are on BOTH versions. (i know the xbox360 versions are UPSCALED from 720p) But so far in my opinion the 360 versions of upscaled games look smoother/more vibrant than the ps3 native 720p. The upscaler on the ps3 ends up making the display fuzzy, and bad looking. (like in uncharted 2 which was a beautiful game in 720p but upscaled, not so much). This is all just my opinion.

Does the ps3 version play in 720p or 1080p? Thats my biggest gripe with the ps3 games that are on BOTH versions. (i know the xbox360 versions are UPSCALED from 720p) But so far in my opinion the 360 versions of upscaled games look smoother/more vibrant than the ps3 native 720p. The upscaler on the ps3 ends up making the display fuzzy, and bad looking. (like in uncharted 2 which was a beautiful game in 720p but upscaled, not so much). This is all just my opinion.
I don't really know the answer to this but I think that it's 1080p in the FMVs and only 720p for the in game graphics. I'm not really too sure though.

Since I won't be getting a PS3 but remain an FF fan and have nothing to do until February, I'm quite interested to know how the whole story pans out.

I don't really know the answer to this but I think that it's 1080p in the FMVs and only 720p for the in game graphics. I'm not really too sure though.

When the game loads up on my t.v. if it's a 720p game you will see in the upper corner the Screen/TV changing resolution from 1080 to 720 (ps3 games). The dashboard or home is 1080p and when i go to play lets say Uncharted 2 you can see the display change to 720p. Not a big deal i'm just curious but i'm sure it's a Great looking game, i'm just gonna wait to see if i should get it on ps3 or xbox360. :)👍

Back