Final Round Pep Talk!

• Thread starter Dan76
  • 50 comments
Braking late is something that is easy to fall prey to (I'm right w/ you). Always remember it's on exit that you need to be at your best. Focus on how your entry will effect exit. Relax and back off way early at 1st then build to what braking point works best for exit. The sooner you can get on the throttle the better.

Yes i'm trying to change the driving style now, little by little, and after almost 10 hours i'm down to 2:21:866
I really want to win this car, it is not the same to just buy it (it can't be bought at this time, but i think it will be added to the dealership later on) I don't look at myself as a expert, but i have manage to get gold on every License test, Coffey Break Challenge, Mission Races, One-Make Races, Red Bull X Challenge, Goodwood Festival of Speed, Lunar Exploration and i have silver on all Ayrton Senna Tribute trials, (i just had to win the WSR car and the Lotus 97T, they somehow feels more precious that way, instead of just buying them) so i'm pretty sure that i can win this with just the standard controller, but like you are saying, i have to break earlier and try to be slow in and fast out.

Yes i'm trying to change the driving style now, little by little, and after almost 10 hours i'm down to 2:21:866
I really want to win this car, it is not the same to just buy it (it can't be bought at this time, but i think it will be added to the dealership later on) I don't look at myself as a expert, but i have manage to get gold on every License test, Coffey Break Challenge, Mission Races, One-Make Races, Red Bull X Challenge, Goodwood Festival of Speed, Lunar Exploration and i have silver on all Ayrton Senna Tribute trials, (i just had to win the WSR car and the Lotus 97T, they somehow feels more precious that way, instead of just buying them) so i'm pretty sure that i can win this with just the standard controller, but like you are saying, i have to break earlier and try to be slow in and fast out.

Sounds like you have a great record! I agree it seems to have more value if it's earned, w/ a little more practice I'm sure you will get Gold 👍

I may be pulling my hair out by the end of this one after just a few "red" laps. It would be nice if we could loosen the car up. I find it hard to believe they expect us to believe the car handles that lousy in the RW. Definitely a virtual car, that requires virtual skills. Maybe I too will learn something and get somewhere close by the end. Trying not to be negative...

ALL the best to you! 👍

Sounds like you have a great record! I agree it seems to have more value if it's earned, w/ a little more practice I'm sure you will get Gold 👍

I may be pulling my hair out by the end of this one after just a few "red" laps. It would be nice if we could loosen the car up. I find it hard to believe they expect us to believe the car handles that lousy in the RW. Definitely a virtual car, that requires virtual skills. Maybe I too will learn something and get somewhere close by the end. Trying not to be negative...

ALL the best to you! 👍

I had to stop trying, before i lost my temper :grumpy: . My best lap is now 2:21.822 but that's it, it seems like i can't get any lower than that :banghead:

I watched the replay of the leader, and the car is behaving better and totally different than it does when i'm driving, so i think having a wheel is a huge advantage, one day i might buy Logitec G25 and Playseat Revolution, but for now i'm stuck with the controller :(

All the best to you to :cheers:

I had to stop trying, before i lost my temper :grumpy: . My best lap is now 2:21.822 but that's it, it seems like i can't get any lower than that :banghead:

I watched the replay of the leader, and the car is behaving better and totally different than it does when i'm driving, so i think having a wheel is a huge advantage, one day i might buy Logitec G25 and Playseat Revolution, but for now i'm stuck with the controller :(

All the best to you to :cheers:

Thanks! Don't totally give up though, you have two weeks to slice some time off the clock.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but you are probably at a bit of disadvantage w/ the DS3. Right out of the box, the 1st key area, the up hill snake has to be run wide open. You have to snap the wheel just right to pull it off. I tried it w/ the DS3 and couldn't even come close. All I can say is dig deep else where. Not that I'm a big fan of PD's exploitation of the need for the e- brake (handbrake) to be competitive. But, if your not using it you will probably need to, to cut the time you need to Gold.

Again, don't give up! You can do it! :cheers:

Well, looks like I owe some of you an apology. Earlier I said this event was an easy Gold without taking into consideration my DS3 friends. I sincerely apologize for not taking into consideration the difficulty level of this event with the DS3 when I made my initial statement. I guess I just took it for granted that if I could do it, with a wheel, others could do it also. I was not thinking it was going to be this hard for the DS3 users. Again, I apologize for my earlier statements and can greatly sympathize with you all trying this with a DS3. The only real advice I can give at this point is to just relax and take your time, you have two weeks to get this done. When you start to feel yourself get to the point of real frustration, take a break for awhile and just clear your head and come back to it a bit later. Keep at it and don't give up, if at first you don't succeed, there is always tomorrow. Good luck you guys, I'm pulling for you and know you can do it, your perseverance will pay off eventually, trust me. ;)

Good luck you guys, I'm pulling for you and know you can do it, your perseverance will pay off eventually, trust me. ;)
This line right here was the fuel for my motivation to get gold. I tried and tried until I could try no more, then I realized that "Quitters never win and winners never quit." I gave in EVERYTHING I could to get a gold, and finally, after nearly 5 hours of nearly nonstop attempting to complete this event, I finally managed a 2:20.907, and sealed the gold. I was more than satisfied, and called it there. I actually began to tear up knowing I finally completed this unforgiving and brutally difficult challenge. Now comes the tricky part of tuning the car to suit my driving style. :grumpy:

This line right here was the fuel for my motivation to get gold. I tried and tried until I could try no more, then I realized that "Quitters never win and winners never quit." I gave in EVERYTHING I could to get a gold, and finally, after nearly 5 hours of nearly nonstop attempting to complete this event, I finally managed a 2:20.907, and sealed the gold. I was more than satisfied, and called it there. I actually began to tear up knowing I finally completed this unforgiving and brutally difficult challenge. Now comes the tricky part of tuning the car to suit my driving style. :grumpy:
Want to try out a tune I have for my GT-R?

Sure! I wouldn't mind giving it a go. As of right now, I just can't seem to tame the oversteer this car possesses. :(
I think I have a few pics on my phone...

Yep, sorry for the quality:lol:. I was just transferring my tune from the base model to the RJN. Didn't think I'd be showing them to anyone :lol:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Make sure you do the reinforcement in GT Auto also. I like my downforce at max front, min rear, but you can keep raising the rear DF till you like it:tup:

Let me know what you think:cheers:

I think I have a few pics on my phone...

Yep, sorry for the quality:lol:. I was just transferring my tune from the base model to the RJN. Didn't think I'd be showing them to anyone :lol:

View attachment 165444
View attachment 165445

Make sure you do the reinforcement in GT Auto also. I like my downforce at max front, min rear, but you can keep raising the rear DF till you like it:tup:

Let me know what you think:cheers:
Thanks bud. I will try this in the morning. Getting late here in Massachusetts, and I'm rather tired from errands and this dang event. :lol:

Really a DS3 can "easily" get gold, now getting into the 15s would be a pain.

To get a gold with a DS3, try TC at 1 or 2. I did it at 0 but I use the analog stick for throttle, I would imagine with using the "X" button TC would be needed.

Short shift whenever you need too, it will help oversteer. This car can take it. Short shifting is jumping to up a gear ( in this car 3rd to 4th ) when the car gets oversteering. The taller gear will give less torque and less wheel spin. 3rd gear was the tricky gear for me.

I recommend setting the controller sensitivity to 4 or 7 ( I use 7 ).

Next the car has a lot of grip (more than you can "feel" with a DS3), brake later than you would think. This not only is faster but adds a bit of mid corner push/understeer to help combat the oversteer.

Download and watch a top replay, you will need to lift at Eau Rouge and Blanchimont, outside of that you can do anything a wheel driver can do.

Take note of their lines and brake points. I find using a DS3 gives me some odd choices regarding lines but once I started racing with wheel guys I copied them. Watch replays from you driving view and with all the UI HUD on.

I did 2 valid laps, the second was 2:20.0XX .

5 laps actually, my controller shift button is broken so on the first 3 laps every time I changes to 4th or 5th it would drop to 2nd or 1st. Got a newer controller and ran the 2 clean laps.

So really, the DS3 can get gold just as easily and with time to spare.

To get a gold with a DS3, try TC at 1 or 2. I did it at 0 but I use the analog stick for throttle, I would imagine with using the "X" button TC would be needed.

Short shift whenever you need too, it will help oversteer. This car can take it. Short shifting is jumping to up a gear ( in this car 3rd to 4th ) when the car gets oversteering. The taller gear will give less torque and less wheel spin. 3rd gear was the tricky gear for me.

Next the car has a lot of grip (more than you can "feel" with a DS3), brake later than you would think. This not only is faster but adds a bit of mid corner push/understeer to help combat the oversteer.

Download and watch a top replay, you will need to lift at Eau Rouge and Blanchimont, outside of that you can do anything a wheel driver can do.

Take note of their lines and brake points. I find using a DS3 gives me some odd choices regarding lines but once I started racing with wheel guys I copied them. Watch replays from you driving view and with all the UI HUD on.

5 laps actually, my controller shift button is broken so on the first 3 laps every time I changes to 4th or 5th it would drop to 2nd or 1st. Got a newer controller and ran the 2 clean laps.

Just because you can easily gold it with a DS3 doesn't mean its easy in general. You have to remember there are people with different skill sets and some may not be up to par with yours. Making a statement like this can be discouraging to some, especially those who are struggling. That is the exact reason I apologized for my earlier statement. So yes, it can be done, but I wouldn't say "just as easily"

Thanks! Don't totally give up though, you have two weeks to slice some time off the clock.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but you are probably at a bit of disadvantage w/ the DS3. Right out of the box, the 1st key area, the up hill snake has to be run wide open. You have to snap the wheel just right to pull it off. I tried it w/ the DS3 and couldn't even come close. All I can say is dig deep else where. Not that I'm a big fan of PD's exploitation of the need for the e- brake (handbrake) to be competitive. But, if your not using it you will probably need to, to cut the time you need to Gold.

Again, don't give up! You can do it! :cheers:

Thanks.
Yes, the up hill snake is the worst, in the beginning i was breaking before and in the middle of the hill and lost all my speed, but after some hours i learned that if i just release the trottle right before the hill, and hit the trottle again in the middle, then i gained much more speed on the long straight.
I'm gonna try again to day, and see if there is other places on the track i can save 822 of a second (decisecond?)
There is some corners i know i can take in higher speed, but i have to figure out the perfect racing line, and i need some luck to pull this off. I have never used the handbrake in Gran Turismo, because it seams that the cars are losing all the grip with use of the handbrake.

^^^ So I`ll give it a try today. :scared:

A DS3 user...

;) Good luck, it is doable, but some of us need more rounds than others, bronze and silver is also a very good results, but gold will reward us with the Nissan GT-R.

:cheers: Thank you for the advice. but i'm not buying the easy part ;)

Well, looks like I owe some of you an apology. Earlier I said this event was an easy Gold without taking into consideration my DS3 friends. I sincerely apologize for not taking into consideration the difficulty level of this event with the DS3 when I made my initial statement. I guess I just took it for granted that if I could do it, with a wheel, others could do it also. I was not thinking it was going to be this hard for the DS3 users. Again, I apologize for my earlier statements and can greatly sympathize with you all trying this with a DS3. The only real advice I can give at this point is to just relax and take your time, you have two weeks to get this done. When you start to feel yourself get to the point of real frustration, take a break for awhile and just clear your head and come back to it a bit later. Keep at it and don't give up, if at first you don't succeed, there is always tomorrow. Good luck you guys, I'm pulling for you and know you can do it, your perseverance will pay off eventually, trust me. ;)

;) Your apology is accepted.

This could be the second car i'm not able to win in GT6, (the first is Ayrton Senna's kart :() i saw the replay of the :bowdown: 2:14.741 by :bowdown: Crankz96_ and i was thinking, holly cow, there is no way this could be done with a DS3. (although i don't know the best time achieve with DS3)
But luckily for me, i'm not aiming for times like that, i would be very happy if i could win gold and the Nissan GT-R. :scared: :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because you can easily gold it with a DS3 doesn't mean its easy in general. You have to remember there are people with different skill sets and some may not be up to par with yours. Making a statement like this can be discouraging to some, especially those who are struggling. That is the exact reason I apologized for my earlier statement. So yes, it can be done, but I wouldn't say "just as easily"

I just hate seeing people feeling like a DS3 is incapable of gold. It can get gold. Just like using a wheel it's all about line choice. The only place it is a "big" disadvantage is Eau Rouge.

When I used a DS3 a lot. I realized it was better for my lap times if I concentrated on how to go fast and less on how I'm "disadvantaged".

I want to get the unique GT Academy Leaf, 370, and GT-R Black Edition as well.

Why won't they give us those as gold rewards? :(

I know I posted a quote from Ayrton Senna in the Final Round topic, but I think if anyone here's thinking of giving up or losing their edge for this challenge, you should watch this video, get inspired, and keep trying!

I know I posted a quote from Ayrton Senna in the Final Round topic, but I think if anyone here's thinking of giving up or losing their edge for this challenge, you should watch this video, get inspired, and keep trying!

Very inspiring vid! Thanks for posting it! 👍

Thank you, much appreciated. Thanks for the tip on the gloves but I have tried them before and they just don't feel right. A bit like wearing shoes, which I don't, as it seems to take away the feel from the wheel. Blisters have just become the norm for me, just an annoyance when they become open and start bleeding all over.

Pushbike gloves are a no-go Mitch. Go and get some real car racing gloves. I take the car on the track and ride a pushbike - they require a very different feel. Good race gloves (kid) have amazing feel while reducing wear and tear on your hands. And they are REQUIRED for being on track (safety). Since your goal is to get to race camp, get thee to a race shop and try some of the correct gloves.
... Ralph

Back