Finally it Happened

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kayoss
  • 40 comments
  • 4,600 views
Messages
10
Messages
kayoss882
I decided to do some Bspec remote racing yesterday and before leaving for work, I set up my ps3 for remote racing. When I got to work I started a new race every 25mins and accumulated lots of money and experience. I couldnt wait to get home because I was pretty happy and excited to go home to collect my loot.
When I got home I decided to turn on the T.V. and backup my save data. But when I completed my backup, I hear this noise that sounded like a power outage, however my TV didnt turn off. I checked my ps3 and the red lights were blinking. I tried to turn it back on, but after about 15secs it turns off again. I realized I got the YLOD!!!
I always assumed that by leaving the ps3 on remote racing mode would do no harm to the ps3 but I was wrong.
I will try to fix it and let everyone know how it goes...wish me luck.
 
That is too bad, I assume you have the fat PS3 yes?
 
I always assumed that by leaving the ps3 on remote racing mode would do no harm to the ps3 but I was wrong.

Not necessarily directly related, just saying. Best of luck on getting it fix though.
 
My monolith froze and went funny doing remote races but I never got the yellow light, hope you get yours fixed. And I hope you backed your stuff up, otherwise your remote racing will be to no avail (for you anyway).
 
This happened to me not too long ago. Believe it or not, the hairdryer trick actually works; it gave me the opportunity to backup the console, delete all the users and deactivate it. However, I didn't think to export my pictures to the xmb and save them separately thinking they would still be with the GT5 save data. This turned out to be incorrect. If you've taken photos, I suggest exporting them if you get your system running again.
 
If you get a new PS3, place it vertically. It gives more breathing space for the fan to dissipate any excess heat.
 
I fixed my ps3 with a heat gun (instead of a hair dryer, which is nowhere near as efective), and installed a potentiometer (or whatever its called to control the speed of the fan), and my ps3 has been working for the past month and half just fine. I wich you luck.
 
i had that to last week, i just did the on/off button at the back en it started normally.
but my ps3 was already cooled down.
are you sure u have the Yellow Light Of Death
 
Yup, I feel your pain. It happened long ago.
This pretty much sums it up:
 
my ps3 has been working for the past month and half just fine.

Where can I get one of these device and how does it attach to the fat PS3?

@treuzel
Im pretty sure I have the YLOD, After about 3 hours of shutting down the PS3. I went and turn it back on and now all I got was a yellow light and nothing else. Checked google and it confirmed the end of my ps3. Unless I can fix it.

Currently the PS3 disassembled at my apartment, after work Im going to go out and buy a heat gun and some heat sync compound and try to bring it back to life.
 
My fat PS3 survived a 24 hours endurance race last week... so I don't see how leaving it on for 7 hours would have done any harm... unless it isn't adequetly ventilated...
 
Time to get a slim. Fats are a thing of the stone age.

Sorry it happened, though.
 
I don't think it's a good idea for ANY PS3 to run for a very long time....they just aren't designed for it. I haven't done any of the 24hr endurance races and probably never will either because I don't want to come back to a dead unit....happens all too often. Just because GT5 provides long races doesn't mean it's good for your PS3 so I wouldn't advise anyone worried about this to attempt it. You may get away with it the first time, or the second...but don't expect it to last long.
 
Yup, I feel your pain. It happened long ago.
This pretty much sums it up:


Best comment ever. 👍


**Still on my original PS3 60gig with NUMEROUS hours logged over the years with multiple "long hour stints" in multiple games...** I always have had it in an open area where heat/hot air cannot "build up" and she is running strong.**
 
My 60 gig just died this past weekend, but honestly remote racing or leaving it on for long periods have nothing to do with it dying. It is all about how well it is ventilated and kept clean. I easily put in over 10,000 hours it before it died. The few weeks before it died I had actually been using it less than before. It had only been on about 30 seconds when it beeped and shut down. Unfortunately, electronic devices do die and the ps3 has been around industry norms for failure rate from what I've read.
 
My main concern right now is all my game saves including GT5 game save. I just want my 60gb ps3 to run again so i can sign up for PSN + so I can save all my games saves there. I bought a new Slim PS3 during lunch so hopefully i can get my Fat to work again so i can back up and transfer it to my slim.
There's nothing next to my PS3 on either side and it is in an open area where airflow is not restricted. I just wish we can do bspec remote racing
 
I hear you Kayoss. Luckily for me I have PS+ and online saves came not long before my YLOD. I just wish you could save from more than one profile. You could watch videos on youtube for the towel fix, works for some people but didn't for me. It may get your ps3 running long enough to copy the save file.
 
varmintx
This happened to me not too long ago. Believe it or not, the hairdryer trick actually works; it gave me the opportunity to backup the console, delete all the users and deactivate it. However, I didn't think to export my pictures to the xmb and save them separately thinking they would still be with the GT5 save data. This turned out to be incorrect. If you've taken photos, I suggest exporting them if you get your system running again.

Yes I have done heatgun trick. Always works in my 3 tries. But the console will never avoid another red blinking light.
I posted before about this. I wasnt backing up at the time and so happy to get my info. My fatty blew up after the first Tsukuba 9 hr.

Now I got my slim I'm tryin to give it a good workout before the warranty ends!

My fatty had uber hours on it. 30 days in cod 4 alone!
 
I'm getting kinda scared hearing about people's PS3's dying... This is how I've been keeping my 250GB Slim nice and cool. Been running remote B-spec for a few days.
Edit: Sorry for obnoxiously big photo.
sgCnQ.jpg
 
Last edited:
Same thing happened to me on Tuesday. I'd only been playing for about 10 minutes before hearing the dreaded three beeps. I'm going to try and fix it, but it's the second time i'ts done it now, so I'm a bit worried. Although, to be fair, the first time it did it to me and I repaired it, I got another six months out of it. Lets hope for the same again, eh?
 
That happened last week I got mine fixed and its running great.
 
This happened to my 80gb PS3 with backwards compatibility. I got it fixed right when PD unlocked game saves and copied it onto a usb drive.
 
Same thing happened to me on Tuesday. I'd only been playing for about 10 minutes before hearing the dreaded three beeps. I'm going to try and fix it, but it's the second time i'ts done it now, so I'm a bit worried. Although, to be fair, the first time it did it to me and I repaired it, I got another six months out of it. Lets hope for the same again, eh?

The thee beeps does not mean YLOD, it just means an overload, usually if you try to quit game when the PS3 is trying to do/load something.
 
I have had two Ps3's die on me within a year and a half when i turned them on and off. My slim has been on for 2 yrs and is going strong. I only turn it on and off to reset it on the occasional freeze. Beyond that it stays on.
 
madwi
I have had two Ps3's die on me within a year and a half when i turned them on and off. My slim has been on for 2 yrs and is going strong. I only turn it on and off to reset it on the occasional freeze. Beyond that it stays on.

the sound of madness (^ this guys voice )
Definition of insanity (what he's doing)
Definition of curiosity (wondering if I could do it)
Definition of retarded (contemplating on doing it)
( '_') hey look a retarded dictionary
 
The thee beeps does not mean YLOD, it just means an overload, usually if you try to quit game when the PS3 is trying to do/load something.

Nah, I wasn't doing anything to make it do the three beeps. I know it does it when it overloads when you quit game or whatnot. I was just blasting round Circuit de la Sarthe, heard the three beeps and saw the red light flashing. Turned it back on, sure enough, three beeps, yellow light, then back to flashing red. It's the second time the YLOD has happened to me, sadly, so I knew what it was.
 
Back