Finally... My first A-Spec 24 hours. (Now complete!)

• Thread starter Tomt5
  • 17 comments
England
United Kingdom
TOM-T-5
So I'm finally going for it.. The Le Mans 24hr is one of 3 races I am yet to complete in GT5 (the other 2 being Tsukuba 9hr + Nurb 24). I've debated whether to do this race several times before, and always either thought better of it, or given in after 1-2 hours. However now my desire to get to level 40 has drawn me to this event.

To keep myself interested and involved I've decided to write a nice little race report, commenting about on track action, a battle against boredom... and other general stuff I encounter.

Please feel free to leave hints and tips and any other advice. Everything is appreciated.

So, onto the race itself.. I'm racing an Audi R8, bog standard, with little testing just to keep things interesting. The field consists of a couple of vipers, and a variety of other group C/prototypes, which I'm sure will all be mentioned throughout my report. Starting with a DS3, and will use a DFGT for longer stints.

STINT 1 - Good slipstream battle to start things off. odd being back on a DS3, short shifting to avoid any early drama, and settling into a rhythm. Another R8 is running up front, and by the end of Lap 2 we're side by side. 1 lap later, and the rear tyres are struggling, and I pit at the end of Lap 4. I emerge from the pits behind a Toyota GT One, he messes up Tertre Rouge and I pass him going onto the straight. The field in front all pit at the end of Lap 5 and I retake the lead by 7 seconds. The next few laps unfold without drama, and again I pit after 4 laps, and suspend for some pizza! :)

STINT 2 - Settled into the race now and running rather well, the next couple of tyre stints see me gently pulling away until I have a 23 second lead. I've been trying the RH and RM tyre, to see if I can gain anywhere on strategy. Both tyres are lasting 4 laps at the moment, although its hard to be smooth on a DS3.

An hour and a half into the race, trouble! While focusing on lapping the McLaren F1, I miss the pit entrance, and by the start of the straight, my rear tyres are toast. and the rest of the lap becomes a wild fight against a snaking car. My lead is gone instantly, and by the time the 5m27s lap is over... I'm back in 5th place.

The car looks a complete mess after a lap of bouncing off the guard rails, and a new set of RM tyres feels like heaven. Over the next two tyre stints, I pass the Toyota GT One under braking for Mulsanne, The Bentley gives way at indianapolis, and I move up to second when I dive past the Pescarolo C60 at the Ford Chicane. I'm now 2 hours into the race, and thoroughly enjoying it.

1 More tyre stint, and I'm back on the tail of the lead R8, and I pass him when he pits. 1/10th of the way, plenty to go!

STINT 3 - Just counting up the laps now and trying to pass the time. Somethign quite odd has happened though... The 2nd place R8 seemed to run out of fuel, and spent half a lap crawling around at 50... however, after he pitted, he continued crawling around the track. He pits every lap, but proceeds in just crawling around. This means that I'm now completely out of sigh of any other cars, and as the sun begins to go down, I go a lap ahead.

Nothing much is happening at this stage of the race apart from lapping the occasional car, and a spectacular transition from day to night. Probably one of the best parts of the game visually, anybody that hasn't tried it really should.

5 Hours in now, nearly 2 laps ahead, and taking another break, just another 19 hours to count down.

STINT 4 - Next few hours have been pretty uneventful, few thrills and spills lapping traffic, but altogether a clean run through the darkness.

8 hours in, and now the Bentley is also crawling round like its ran out of petrol, just like the R8, it pits every lap but still goes slow. I'm now 6 laps ahead, and the boredoms starting to kick in.

10 hours in, and its starting to rain, moisture rising by 3-4% per lap, so after a few stints on slicks, I switch to inters. Its soon fully wet, but the inters still provide the best pace. The AI are agonisingly slow now, and I'm lapping cars quicker than ever even though my lap times are quite inconsistent. Can't really remember much else from this part of the race.

13 or so hours in, 10 laps ahead, and I'm starting to see some light from east side of the circuit now, so it looks like I've survived the night, Had a big crash soon after when I came across the Slow moving pair of the R8 + Speed 8 side by side at the porsche curves long right hander. The car is such a mess, with nearly all of the paintwork scuffed off from different excursions and misadventures. I was really bored at this stage, so decided to complete hours 13-16 after quite a bit of alcohol. Don't recall many major events, but I've retained my gap at the front, and I suspend. 2/3 of the way done.

STINT 5 - Most of the race is behind me now, so there's definitely no going back. With the R8 + Bentley still lapping slowly, and the AI lapping incredibly slow in the rain, I'm left completely unchallenged on the circuit and it's become a tedious crawl to the finish. Although I have suspended the race a few times, the R8 continues to lap slowly, and the Bentley will also do so after a couple of stints. Must have lapped the R8 at least 50 times now.

Hour 18, and the rain is decreasing! The track dries much quicker than it got wet, and it seems as though the last 5 hours will be made even more dull. Time for some music.

Hour 19, Such a grind! been trying to think of driving games I can do while racing, but havent really thought of anything that's passed the time quickly. Did 2 consecutive laps that were identical which was pretty cool/weird.

Hour 20, The end is in sight ..... yet still far away. What has struck me doing this race is just how awesome this track really is. Every corner takes some learning, and some are very unforgiving. Truely one of the world's greatest circuits.

Hour 21, The clock just seems to be getting slower and slower. must. stay. awake.

Hour 22, This hour has escaped my memory.

Hour 23, I'm now mathematically safe. The race is won, yet not over. Left the room for a while just to run down the clock. Annnnnndddd....

IT'S OVER!

I cross the line 1.3 seconds after the 24 hour mark, and I slump back in my seat and relax. All done!

The £££ + XP are mine... And I'm now on the brink of Lvl.40 :)

Impressions on the race
First of all, anybody that plays GT5 and only sticks to 3-5 lap daytime sprint races are missing out so much. I was lucky enough to go through every combination of track conditions and daylight through my race, and it really is one of the best features of GT5.

Was the race worth it? probably, yes it was a grind, but it was also enjoyable to an extent.
Would I do it again? No, After the 16 hour mark, it became such a grind, It was only my desire to get to Lvl.40 which drove me to it.

My only 2 races left are the Tsukuba 9hr, and the Nurb 24, and to be honest, I doubt I will ever complete either of them. 9 Hours of Tsukuba seems enough to drive anybody insane. The Nurb 24 just wouldn't seem worth it after reaching lvl.40.

Lastly, Thanks to the people that commented and got involved, feel free to continue posting your 24hr experiences!

Tom

Last edited:
Good luck with your 24 hours of Le Mans.

I've completed it twice before the save function came, both in the Mazda 787B.
Planning on giving it another go this summer.

I'll check back on your race report, good start so far. :)

Is the save function different than just a normal pause? I'm getting ready to try some of the longer races, so any info would be great.

You have the option of saving (or 'suspending') when you pit, then once you have saved you cannot use anything else in the game until you have finished the race. When you reboot the game, it will load straight back to the race! Much better than just pausing as you can give your PS3 a rest every now and then.

What lap times are you currently getting ?

Nice report hope it goes well.

I've just started it last night running in second over a minute behind the R8, im doing it in the Audi R10 and the Bentley likes to catch me on the starights, looks like its going to be a good race.

I started running consistently within 3:23 - 3:28 depending on traffic/tyres but once you get further ahead you can drop it down to extend tyre life an extra lap. Now that I'm using my DFGT im much more consistent and smooth which has put me onto 5-6 lap stints rather than 3-4 with a DS3.

Good luck with your race, Sounds like your going to have a close one.

Taking the weekend off and planning on getting it all done over monday and tuesday :)

Last edited:
I started running consistently within 3:23 - 3:28 depending on traffic/tyres but once you get further ahead you can drop it down to extend tyre life an extra lap. Now that I'm using my DFGT im much more consistent and smooth which has put me onto 5-6 lap stints rather than 3-4 with a DS3.

Good luck with your race, Sounds like your going to have a close one.

Taking the weekend off and planning on getting it all done over monday and tuesday :)

My fastest lap so far was a low 3:30 i've always been slow in the LMPs. Even using the DFGT I'm just managing 5 laps with mediums and I'm normally quite good with tyre wear, I blame the Audi R10 lol.

Also if you want a bit more of challenge (if you have not done it) try turning of the brake indicator and the track display off while running at night or even day, I found it to be a lot more interesting in other races when I was ahead.
Even better in cockpit view at night.

Good luck with your race, I'll look forward to reading your report and hope you get it done by tuesday 👍. I'll be sometime doing it not got much time at the moment:ill:.

Yeah, I actually intended to use the R10 to begin with, but just couldn't really get to grips with it, was expecting it to be one of the stronger LMP's. But it appears to be one of the weaker ones.

I've got brake indicator off, just got the map fully zoomed out so I can see where traffic is. May do a few hours on monday with the HUD completely off as I've heard its just awesome.

Cheers! I'm lucky that I've got a few spare days to just get it done. Are you writing a report for your race?

Yeah, I actually intended to use the R10 to begin with, but just couldn't really get to grips with it, was expecting it to be one of the stronger LMP's. But it appears to be one of the weaker ones.

I've got brake indicator off, just got the map fully zoomed out so I can see where traffic is. May do a few hours on monday with the HUD completely off as I've heard its just awesome.

Cheers! I'm lucky that I've got a few spare days to just get it done. Are you writing a report for your race?

It takes the game into a whole new mode I found when you turn everything of and drive in the cockpit view. I did the laguna endurance with every thing turned of and ran in the cockpit view, I had to keep turning the laps on now and again though just to keep an eye on it. Even in bumper cam its a diffrent experiance. I run all the Aspec and arcade mode races like that now it brought the offline side of the game back to life for me.

Thats why I choose the R10 for a challenge plus I like it and its turning out to be one for me in this race, i've got soft tyres waiting to go on if I fall to far behind.

Dont now about writing a report yet.

I will have to give it a go, will be especially good as I'll get to race through the sunrise like it. 👍

Running without ABS transformed the game for me, so I guess this will only transform it further! just annoying that you can't just have the lap counter at the top.

Let me know if you do decide to report on it, would be good to see how it turns out with the R10

I will have to give it a go, will be especially good as I'll get to race through the sunrise like it. 👍

Running without ABS transformed the game for me, so I guess this will only transform it further! just annoying that you can't just have the lap counter at the top.

Let me know if you do decide to report on it, would be good to see how it turns out with the R10

I will do, if I dont do a report on it ill post in here for you if you dont mind.

I'm yet to really try no ABS properly yet, I will one day :)

I'm also busy with this race, it's a blast in the 787B... I am lapping between 3:35 and 3:37 with RM tires... The R8 must just be a quicker car, because the 3:35 laps are my perfect laps... hehehe... Getting 5 solid laps on the RMs, 1 out, 3 hot, 1 in... I could do 6, but the time lost on 6 is just not worth it, I rather pit on 5 and keep the speed up...

I loved the night stint and when dawn came it was simply magical! But now that I am back in the day time I am bored stiff! Praying for rain to spice things up a bit and give some variety, but the sky is blue blue blue! :( Ah Well...

Enjoying your report, I may write one off the replay once I am done with the race... I also had the AI bug, the BMW ran out of petrol and was crawling around the track for hours during my night stint... After I suspended and came back it fixed him though, he pitted and started flying! hehehe... Keep it coming dude...

Yeah sure 👍

OP Updated with 'stint 4'

Boredoms really kicking in now, just gotta grind away at that last 8 hours. :boggled:

I'm sure you will find something to get rid of the boredom 👍.

Sorry to hear about the glitches with the cars must be annoying when it happens with the closest cars to you.

Enjoying your report, I may write one off the replay once I am done with the race... I also had the AI bug, the BMW ran out of petrol and was crawling around the track for hours during my night stint... After I suspended and came back it fixed him though, he pitted and started flying! hehehe... Keep it coming dude...

The R8 in my race continued to do it even after suspending, which I thought was fairly odd. It ended up finishing last by around 15 laps! :crazy:

OP Updated with final stint!

Latest Posts

Back