First bike advice?

You're crazy if you think
I can afford either of these.
Whats up GTP? For the past while I've been thinking more and more about getting a bike, and I'm to the point now where I just need to save up a little money to take the plunge. What do you think some of the best starter bikes are? I've thought about the Ninja 250, just found out there's a CBR250, and one of my buddies just bought a '98 Rebel 250 bobber.

I've sat on the rebel, and also another bud's CBR600RR, but really couldnt tell much from that.

Basically, I think I want a sport bike, or a cool looking cruiser. Looking to stay around the 250cc range because of my low price range (bout 1500 dollars) and I have no experience riding at all.

Cbr250r would be a good one but you may drop it. An older ninja 250r would be perfect and you could upgrade in a year or so for a 600.

I'm ready to accept now that I'll probably drop the bike, but thankfully with my pricerange, the bikes will probably come pre-dropped :lol:

Where are some good places to look for used bikes? I can find pretty much anything I want car wise, but bikes are a whole different world it seems

Lol, a 600.
If you value your life you won't get anything much bigger than a 250.
Any of the 250 starter bikes mentioned would be good.
And dual-sports are fun because you can take them off road.
A DRZ-400 or CRF230M/L would be a good starter bike.

Lol, a 600.
Any of the 250 starter bikes mentioned would be good.
And dual-sports are fun because you can take them off road.
A DRZ-400 or CRF230M/L would be a good starter bike.

I wouldn't step into a 600 with no other experience, I do value my life :nervous:

Are there any dual sports that are made which have a seat height closer to 30-31 inches? I have a 30.5 inseem, and all the dual sports I've seen have like a 35 inch seat height, which is far too high for my 5'7" frame my common sense tells me.

I'm completely sold on them if you can point out one like that, because I work off road, my girl lives off road, and 15 miles a week of my driving is dirt roads, so that's the only thing I worry about the street bike for

It all the depends on your own attitude IMO.
A 250 can just be as dangerous as a 600 if you feel the need to race on public roads.

+ a less sporty 500 is more relaxing to ride than a sporty 250 that needs constant revving.

I can cruise at 3k rpm and if the engine is warmed up even at 2,5k rpm in some conditions with my CB500.

It all the depends on your own attitude IMO.
A 250 can just be as dangerous as a 600 if you feel the need to race on public roads.

+ a less sporty 500 is more relaxing to ride than a sporty 250 that needs constant revving.

I can cruise at 3k rpm and if the engine is warmed up even at 2,5k rpm in some conditions with my CB500.

I'm not gonna race it unless it's the drag strip, and that's only because I work there!

My choices it seems are kind of limited because my price range tops out at 1500 bucks, and I'd love to only spend about 1000. Cosmetics aren't important, I'm good with a spray can, I just want a reliable bike with a little cool factor. Most of what I'm seeing in that range is the baby Ninja and the Honda Rebel. I'll be riding Rebel here in about an hour so I'll know how I like those for feel pretty soon

Well, I wasn't looking for something really cool as my first bike. Just something that looked good, cheap and reliable.
But most find it a good looking bike, but not eye catching. (Which can only be a good thing as I don't want it to get stolen).

mustangGT90210
I'm not gonna race it unless it's the drag strip, and that's only because I work there!

My choices it seems are kind of limited because my price range tops out at 1500 bucks, and I'd love to only spend about 1000. Cosmetics aren't important, I'm good with a spray can, I just want a reliable bike with a little cool factor. Most of what I'm seeing in that range is the baby Ninja and the Honda Rebel. I'll be riding Rebel here in about an hour so I'll know how I like those for feel pretty soon

How about a buell blast or ninja 500? Everyone that I know who bought a ninja 250 regretted after 2-3 months because they don't keep up on the highway well. Just what I've been told, I don't have one or anything.

A CRF230L has a seat height of 31.9 inches. That's probably going to be your best bet for seat height. It would be a bit slow on the freeway but offroad would be the perfect fun bike.
And Carmichael is a midget so you could probably get away with the 230.

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't looking for something really cool as my first bike. Just something that looked good, cheap and reliable.
But most find it a good looking bike, but not eye catching. (Which can only be a good thing as I don't want it to get stolen).
Sounds exactly like what I'm trying to find!
How about a buell blast or ninja 500? Everyone that I know who bought a ninja 250 regretted after 2-3 months because they don't keep up on the highway well. Just what I've been told, I don't have one or anything.
I like the Buells, but they aren't in my price range. The more I look, the more the Honda Rebel looks better and better. There are pristine looking examples from 1500 bucks or less.

Also just had my first psuedo riding lesson from my buddy with a bobber style rebel, and I really like how that bike feels. The riding position is comfortable, engine is powerful enough for the freeway, and I think they look pretty cool.

The highway isn't something I'm going to ride the bike on, I just want it for around town and the back roads. My normal driving only requires highway if I'm doing it for work, and that requires my truck.
A CRF230L has a seat height of 31.9 inches. That's probably going to be your best bet for seat height. It would be a bit slow on the freeway but offroad would be the perfect fun bike.
And Carmichael is a midget so you could probably get away with the 230.

I'll see if I can find one to take a ride on, sounds like a very interesting concept

Oh, the only reason I mentioned the buell is because I found a nice one for $700 on my local classifieds website. It was pretty nice do I figured they mud not be popular bikes so that's why it was so cheap.

Buell's are nice, I think they don't sell that well because they're made by Harley. Sport bike riders think a harley made sport bike is still crap, and harley riders don't like sport bikes haha. Just what I've gathered from the drag strip

Buells are not Harley made, they were made by Buell using Harley motors, giving Eric Buell access to HD's dealer network. HD has since stopped selling Buells, putting Eric in a bad place. He's still trying, but his stuff is so useless.

They were incredible bikes in search of a useful engine. I never understood the concept. The Rotax-powered 1200 is pretty spiffy, but still not a CBR, R1000, or Ducati.

Buells are not Harley made, they were made by Buell using Harley motors, giving Eric Buell access to HD's dealer network. HD has since stopped selling Buells, putting Eric in a bad place. He's still trying, but his stuff is so useless.

They were incredible bikes in search of a useful engine. I never understood the concept. The Rotax-powered 1200 is pretty spiffy, but still not a CBR, R1000, or Ducati.

Thanks for giving me the proper information on the Buell, now I won't sound like an idiot next time I talk about them 👍

If you're wanting a cruiser, one to add to the list would be the Suzuki Intruder 700/800. They're powerful bikes, sure; but they're also fairly easy to get along with, and with the power they have it'll keep you satisfied for some time, I imagine. It will, that is, as long as you don't have a similar experience as I did when I owned an Intruder 800, detailed below.

If you want cruiser comfort and sporty handling, a standard would be a good option to look into, they have upright seating positions and generally handle pretty well in the twisties.

And now, for an excessively long post regarding bikes I've owned:

My first bike was a KLR 250 - it was an absolute blast to ride. The only reason I sold it was to get a bike with enough room for the missus and I to ride together. It was kick-started but easily started, and would yank that front wheel up through the first 3 gears, obviously geared for torque. The suspension handily soaked up bumps and I'd get about 64 mpg consistently, sometimes 65, sometimes 59 if I was treating the throttle like an on-off switch.

veronica.jpg

It was replaced by a 2008 Kawasaki Versys, but my inexperience and overconfidence caused me to wreck the bike in spite of the fact that I had racked up over 6,000 miles on the bike, and the break-in ride was a 928-mile ride from Cherry Hill, NJ to Opelika, AL. Overall I thought the Versys to be outstanding, it handled GREAT, it's light (399 lbs ready to ride for the 2008-2009 models), and it's cranking out some good power - 59-ish hp and somewhere around 50 lb-ft of torque, ample torque for a bike of its size.

P2140008.jpg

Insurance was going to kill me after the accident, so a 1995 Honda VF750 Magna took the place of the Versys - otherwise, I'd still have the Versys. If you want a great combination of acceleration, handling, and comfort, the Magna does a pretty decent job at all 3. It runs the 1/4 mile in 12.7 seconds stock and it doesn't take too much money to get it into the mid-12s, if that's your goal. It's a bike that is somewhat forgiving to ride and can grow with you, so to speak.

DR350SA.jpg

For reasons I still don't fathom I gave up the Magna - something about getting finances in order - and within a couple of months chased after my next bike, a 1991 Suzuki DR350S. Kick starting the thing was a bear, and after 2 months I got sick of it and went after a 2001 Intruder 800. It packed decent power for the size though - 29-ish - and would easily blow the KLR 250 away. That said, high compression kick-starts are not shin-friendly, so off it went, into someone else's hands.

IntruderNight.jpg

The Intruder remained basically unchanged from 1985 until recently, when Suzuki discontinued the bike (which had adopted the S50 moniker). It has a low seat height, it has a low ride height, and in good tune can run a mid-13 second 1/4 mile, so it'll get up and go under its own power. The low ride height, however, killed the enjoyment for me as I would constantly scrape coming out of parking lots or leaned over in an intersection. I grew to distrust the machine, and it was sold.

ZRX1.jpg

Replacing it was a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100. The best I can say is it packs sportbike power and handling into a standard motorcycle frame. The ZRX Owner's Association is filled with TONS of information about these bikes. Since my life is dictated by those appointed over me, I was unable to ride the bike because I could never get into a rider course. The bike sat and sat and sat until I got fed up and sold the bike. Stupid idea.

K100_2.jpg

It was replaced by a reliable, buzzy, passionless motorcycle known as the BMW K100. (I jest, I jest!) The K100 is a good overall motorcycle, once you get past the tingling sensation in your feet and hands that comes from the vibrations that transmit easily through the footpegs and the handlebars. Good power though, roughly 90 hp and good for an 11.9-second 1/4 mile, and it handled great. Overall an enjoyable ride, just not quite what I wanted after having ridden the ZRX 1100...

RightBike.jpg

...which brings me to my current bike, a 2003 ZRX 1200R! Refer to ZRX 1100 ownership for reasons why I got the 1200 :D

Why so many bikes? Because I'm picky and it's tough finding the right one :lol:

This is something to consider when you're looking: it might take a while to find one that suits you, and that's okay! Sometimes it's tough finding a bike that's well-rounded enough for the riding style you have, and your riding style might change as you grow. A buddy of mine went from CBR's to a Honda Magna, just got sick of sportbikes and wanted a change. Others go the opposite route. R

Remember: Motorcycles are not simply cruiser or sportbike. There are TONS of variations on the style. Find the one that suits you best and have fun riding!

Looks like you've had a bit too much fun on these things :lol:

Now, if I can get a hold of the owner of this bike, I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. It's a '83 Honda Magna 750 bobber. Price is listed at $1000 but my buddy knows the owner and has talked to him about it. He's only expecting about 800 out of it. But anyways, I don't think I'd go over $750 if all checks out ok

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/3035461192.html

Thanks for the links! The owner of the Magna is currently out of town for a couple days, and should be back on wednesday or thursday. Hopefully I'll get to it first! It just has to mesh with my buddies schedule as well because he'd be doing the full test ride for me as I don't have my motorcycle endorsement yet

I've got a date with a '92 Suzuki GS500 tomorrow afternoon. Rebuilt carbs, all looks well. It's got a dent on the right side of the tank, and back brake is having issues. I've already priced out an entire new back brake system and it comes in under $100 so it's not a big deal to me. Guy's asking $900.... I'm bringing money and my truck, hopefully I come back with the bike!

Thanks! I'm excited to go see it! Needs some new colors though haha it's purple with yellow wheels

I've got a date with a '92 Suzuki GS500 tomorrow afternoon. Rebuilt carbs, all looks well. It's got a dent on the right side of the tank, and back brake is having issues. I've already priced out an entire new back brake system and it comes in under $100 so it's not a big deal to me. Guy's asking $900.... I'm bringing money and my truck, hopefully I come back with the bike!

Best of luck! Glad to hear you found one on the cheap!

Another good resource is here:

http://www.advrider.com

Specifically here: http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Let's see some pics when you bring it home :D

Guy at work just bought a 94 suzi gs500e. I sat on it for a minute. Personally I thought it was to small but everything seemed decent. Probably has enough power to be fun but not do anything silly with. The only real problem is that just like a 250 they're very light and you won't be able to do much riding on the highway.

Get a ninja 250. For one, you wont regret it. The bike is INCREDIBLE. 2, you wont find a CBR250r in your price range because they just came out either last year or 2010 (No offense ment), 3, It is the original 250 and Kawi has had a lot of years to perfect and get this bike to be right. If you're looking for a sportier looking bike, get an 08-12 ninja 250 but unfortunatly, this will be slightly out of your price point (Ruffly averaging $2500-$3500 in St. Louis). But if you dont care about looks and just want a bike to ride, go with the older 250 because you can pick those up CHEAP. Here is the potential the ninja 250 has. The bike is out there with 1000cc bikes and is passing them left and right. They pass him on the straights but once they hit the corners, the 250 blows past all of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c That is what convinced me to get a 250 as a second bike for the street and maybe some day when i get bored of my r6, a track bike. Hope this helps!

G. Here is the potential the ninja 250 has. The bike is out there with 1000cc bikes and is passing them left and right. They pass him on the straights but once they hit the corners, the 250 blows past all of them.
Well that's all rider. ;)
A Goldwing on a twisty mountain road could destroy a XYZ-R if the rider was good.

But yeah, a Ninja 250 is a really good first bike.

Back