First gaming laptop!!!

Australia
Melbourne
Senator2655
Senator265
Hello GtPlanet people,
i am in the market for a gaming laptop, currently i game on a samsung 4k hdr tv xbox one x and ps4 pro and i am getting a gaming laptop as a birthday present and very overwhelmed with how much choice there is out there and want to get something that will be good for me. Want something nice thin good looking and be able to play racing games, role playing games and the odd shooter maybe, just confused on how much to spend and performance packages, do i go overkill or medium range, would really like some nice graphics too, would $2 - $3,000 be enough for a nice laptop. Also which brand too, any help would be appreciated thank you so much. Also would like to do some work with laptop and general internet usage, youtube, gt planet forums ;), and some office type of applications.

Thank you very much.

Adam

You just missed Amazon Prime day which had some good gaming laptops for $1000-1500. I think you're in the right price range though. Good luck!

so i am doing some looking around and watching youtube too on gaming laptops im liking the look of the Lenovo legion Y740 17 laptop which i up specked and with a sale got over $1000 off it lol and the msi stealth arent to bad as well and also like the acer predator triton 500

Speaking from enterprise IT experience, don't go with Lenovo. I work for a very large entity which deploys over 56,000 workstations. We dropped Lenovo as a choice because of the huge number issues we have had with them. From poor QC to random hardware bugs to just plain falling apart after a couple of months.
I would suggest looking at offerings from Asus or (at the risk of being called a shill again) Razer.
That being said, is a laptop a hard requirement? Bang for buck, building your own PC, 3000 will build you a very nice desktop.

Glue yourself to this website. Pay close attention to the cooling solutions, thermal performance (meaning throttling in particular) and design of them. They review European models primarily, so the prices and the exact SKU they go over are worthless, but it will give you a good idea for what the best in any given "class" for equivalents in other markets. Every laptop I've bought has only been purchased after giving them a thorough inspect on that site.

Last edited:
The dedicated gaming brands like MSI and Razer would be the best fits since they actually know what they're doing when it comes to ventilation and cooling as well as cramming the best gear in. I have had a Toshiba Qosmio for quite a while now and it was a fantastic gaming laptop when it wasn't overheating but the ventilation was not adequate for the hardware. That cost me around about the same amount of money as you're looking at now.

Back