First GRID Footage of DPi Race Cars Released; AI Teammate System Detailed

They certainly are doing everything they can to make up for the lackluster track list (yes, I know they'll be adding more). 👍

The rivals/allies thing also reminds me of what EA had in the mid-00's NASCAR games (I can't recall what ones had it exactly). It's a feature I've always wished to see in more racing games so I'm happy to see Codie's give it a go.

Granted I am still on the fence, but I am leaning towards getting the regular version shortly after release.

Last edited:
Fictional & street tracks are putting me right off this. That and it looks a tad too far towards the arcade end of the spectrum for me.

It never put me off before with games like PGR, Driveclub, and (as mentioned) former Grid games. Some of these fantasy tracks aren't for me, but that's more to do with their uninspired layouts rather than their fantasy nature. But I am most definitely looking forward to Shanghai in this case.

My only concern thus far is the car list. I haven't really seen much more than 3-4 cars per class. It'll be fine for the prototypes, stock cars, and formula classes, but I hope the street, touring, and GT classes have more substance than what's been shown. I'll be disappointed if the only GTE cars are the confirmed Ferrari, Porsche, and Corvette.
And yes, former Grid games were equally as minimalist in their car rosters just the same, but that doesn't mean the sequel can't expand on that. Its part of what sequels are for after all.

Because of this possible let down, I'm on the fence as well. I liked classic arcade racers for many reasons, but seeing multiples of the same three cars on the road wasn't one of them. Racing fans may not mind, but I'm not a racing fan, I'm a car fan.

In it's defense, it's a reboot of the original which also had arcadey physics and fictional street tracks.

You may be right, but the original was released over 10 years ago and the market for driving games has matured a lot in that time, with people now generally looking for more realism in the handling and the tracks.

I'm on the fence as well - it looks way too arcady for me.

If people have not played Grid 1 why even bother with this??

Grid has never been a simulator. Just a pure arcade racing game. Grid 1 had GT1, Lemans series, touge, gt2 and many other classes which made it special.

You may be right, but the original was released over 10 years ago and the market for driving games has matured a lot in that time, with people now generally looking for more realism in the handling and the tracks.

I would say Grid sticking with the arcade style is a much better idea than chasing after the sim market, the whole arcade racer side of this kind is nearly extinct these days with Forza Horizon being the king, NFS being incompetent and The Crew is just not that good.

Not gonna lie, this looks like trash. I played this exact game 10 years ago?

LMP1/2 cars bashing off the walls and each other on a fictional track doesn't really get my gander up anymore

Not gonna lie, this looks like trash. I played this exact game 10 years ago?

LMP1/2 cars bashing off the walls and each other on a fictional track doesn't really get my gander up anymore

It has been made clear so many times this is a reboot of the original, of course it is going to be very reminiscent of the original game.

GRID has never been a simulator and (hopefully) never will be. It is so cringe-worthy seeing the same comments being made over and over again with people saying stuff like "It's too arcade" or "The market has matured" - People need to realise this game is not pandering to that market.

How many times have you seen people asking for a successor to Project Gotham Racing, Test Drive Unlimited or Driveclub? That market still very much exists.

You seem to forget about our youth.

And plus, people should be wary of Codemasters in general over their tactics going back to DiRT 4, and specifically with post launch DLC in DR2.0. Yeah, sure, they can say that they won't pull the same tactics like what they've done with selling DiRT Rally content as DLC in the sequel...but until I see otherwise, it'd be better to assume the worst.

GRID has never been a simulator and (hopefully) never will be. It is so cringe-worthy seeing the same comments being made over and over again with people saying stuff like "It's too arcade" or "The market has matured" - People need to realise this game is not pandering to that market.

And? There's really no excuse for the pivot based handling system that has been so prevalent in Codemasters racing games since the original GRID came out ten years ago. The market, even arcade games, has been able to mature and offer fun handling systems that balance between arcade and realism. When the most hardcore game to be released under the EGO engine still is more or less built off the same pillar as what I've played in 2009, then that doesn't bode well for a game.

Once again, the fallacy of sim vs. arcade racing games rears it's ugly head. People aren't looking for Assetto Corsa like experiences within the arcade racing space - people are looking for the same sort of finesse as a sim game, but within a fun setting and not as buttoned up. Something which is obvious GRID doesn't provide mainly because of the engine it continually uses, like a shuffling zombie.

How many times have you seen people asking for a successor to Project Gotham Racing, Test Drive Unlimited or Driveclub? That market still very much exists.

Forgetting the fact that you've already answered your own question (Driveclub is the PGR successor in this case) go play PGR 4, and then the original GRID. Even in 2007, PGR4 was offering a fun, semi-realistic handling model where every vehicle is different in it's own way, and allowed you to tackle different events as need be. Some vehicles were insanely grippy, very drift happy, or a mixture. That's the type of handling that should be shot for in arcade racing games, in my mind. The original GRID, meanwhile, still plays like even modern GRID and DiRT does now, even with the latter series going into a much more hardcore direction. So frankly, what's the point of playing them when they still look wholly arcade, when there is room to improve? To offer something even just a bit more realistic, and not the pivot based handling **** that GRID, and indeed, Codemasters has offered for years?

So frankly, what's the point of playing them when they still look wholly arcade, when there is room to improve? To offer something even just a bit more realistic, and not the pivot based handling **** that GRID, and indeed, Codemasters has offered for years?

I know you have a strong hatred for the handling model Codemasters use in their games, but personally, I have no qualms with it. I have played a reasonable number of games running EGO engine and the only game which had awkward handling in my view was GRID 2. Even then, I could get used to it after a while, not like some other games I've played (NFS 2015, I'm looking at you...)

All I really ask of a arcade racing game is for my inputs to correlate with what happens to the vehicle, and the EGO engine does that. It is fine to have a preferred arcade handling model, but if every game ends up feeling exactly the same, then what's the point of buying new ones? Give me something new to learn that isn't broken, and I'll be happy - Those are my 2 cents.

I'm really curious to know if anyone else has issues with the Codemasters handling model - and I'm not talking about how little "sim value" their titles tend to have, I'm more focusing on the pivot-based steering you tend to bring up - Is it a case of being difficult to master or is it too far on the unrealistic end of the spectrum?

It has been made clear so many times this is a reboot of the original, of course it is going to be very reminiscent of the original game.

It seems more like a soft-remaster than a reboot which is my problem. No issues with a reboot done well, a remaster, or re-imagining, but this game looks almost identical.

Soon as they showed off the starter Muscle Cars at San Fran, I was getting hard deja-vu.

My point about the LMP cars is more how they have chosen to reveal them, on a fictional street track, not a race track.

And? There's really no excuse for the pivot based handling system that has been so prevalent in Codemasters racing games since the original GRID came out ten years ago. The market, even arcade games, has been able to mature and offer fun handling systems that balance between arcade and realism. When the most hardcore game to be released under the EGO engine still is more or less built off the same pillar as what I've played in 2009, then that doesn't bode well for a game.

Once again, the fallacy of sim vs. arcade racing games rears it's ugly head. People aren't looking for Assetto Corsa like experiences within the arcade racing space - people are looking for the same sort of finesse as a sim game, but within a fun setting and not as buttoned up. Something which is obvious GRID doesn't provide mainly because of the engine it continually uses, like a shuffling zombie.

Like you said the whole pivot based handling is what Codemasters been sticking with it since 2009, even their more realistic games like F1 and Dirt stick to this then the lack of realism is not on Grid fault but Codemaster unwilling to update their own driving physics. It has nothing to do on what other folks been complaining it is too arcade or having a DPI running on a low grade street circuit.

Even with the pivot handling system it still provide sufficient "sim" element for most people and their goal, like in Grid Autosport and Grid 1 a FWD car still handles like one, RWD still slips when you push it too far and every car has a sufficient difference in weight and feel to each other. Unlike other arcade racers like all NFS after the introduction of brake to drift and The Crew weird stiff and grippy handling.

@Silver Arrows I think I can give you an answer as to why they still use the pivot system, you already know it though, it's a system that works and sells product. That's it.

I also see what you are on about, but here's the problem as I relate to it: RD:GRID is still fun to me, as is GT2, DiRT 2, and NFS ProStreet to an extent. All have archaic systems dictating how the cars react, but even so as a package they still deliver an entertainment value that, while showing plenty of age, gets the job done.....

…And the cynical side to that is that if it isn't broke, wring it for as much cash as humanly possible. That's the actual answer. There's been advancement, but as long as this still works, they don't have to change, adapt, or evolve. That would require spending money, and how can they hoard it if they have to spend it?(This line was meant as sarcasm, but disgusted me as I wrote it so much I felt a need to disclose as much. Have I mentioned I'm a massive idiot?)

I'm well aware of the BS the Codies have pulled before, but before what you said. DiRT 3 released May 24th, 2011, I got it within the week, but for some reason my PS3 was not connected to the internet. DiRT 3 had an online pass tied to it, but I was aware of this and thought that the extras were just that and once I'd hooked up to the internet, they'd be an auto download so they could sit in the race menus and taunt me. After three hours playing, then 30 minutes exploring the menus, imagine my rage when I found that all the extra cars and liveries were ALREADY ON the game disc, locked behind a greed-induced wall for those who paid for a new game or pay directly for access with a secondhand copy. I've never forgotten that, I still get angry about it at times.

I watched the video and some things stand out. The physics don't match up with any of the previous games as I can tell. GRID 1, if you were sliding enough for there to be tire smoke from any of the prototypes, even the Doran DP, you were in a bad way, not enough time with them in GA are G2 sooo yeah. Second, the rivals system appears to be one sided, and it's the only side discussed. I'm sorry, but if I'm racing responsibly and the AI completely loses it's brain, I'm going to be the one cross when they stop in the middle of the straightaway with no escape for me, or they stop turning in a fast corner and send me into the barriers, and yet I'm the 🤬. No, I refuse to believe that. Even the NASCAR games that had it had 1)Balance with both friend AND foe, and 2)ways to semi-actively move that needle...and even then, it never worked as advertised!. Third, those points given for drafting, etc. Anyone want to bet that's tied to some arbitrary level system vaguely related to your online entity, and that booster packs will be a thing so your numbers can get bigger faster, because that's what makes the racing better. 4th, What did that deluxe edition say? Season 1 through...3! Nope, I'm out, for good. Three season's worth of asinine BS that obviously either wasn't good enough to be in the game or is "too good" to not charge extra for. Lastly was that no car in the video had any damage to them, but it's in a demo state so they likely don't have it on even though the damage model in GRID 1 was part of what made it fun in the first place.

Fictional & street tracks are putting me right off this. That and it looks a tad too far towards the arcade end of the spectrum for me.
Yup me to that’s why I’m probably skipping it. I am going to get that fia truck racing game

Back