First impressions of F1 2011

when I'm turning the car feels like its swaying like a boat
"Slow in, fast out" works wonders here. I found I was over-extending myself going into every corner, swinging in wildly and praying for the apex. It was a lot like a haymaker; if I got it right, I'd nail the apex, but if I got it wrong, then I'd exit the corner a couple of postcodes away from the racing line.

Right now, I'm finding the easiest thing to do is to dip the brakes, point the nose where you want it and then follow through with the throttle when you hit the apex. If you go too soon, you'll spin out. And if you leave it too late, you'll get that boat-like feeling. But if you get it just right, then the car will pull itself through the corner with ease. It's a little bit trial-and-error to find the braking, turn-in and acceleration points, but once you do, you get into real rhythm.

Put it this way: when I first started out with my street-fighter approach, I was taking Melbourne's Turn 15 at 70km/h. When I got a feel for the physics, I came back to it and I was able to take it at closer to 110km/h. Likewise, I improved my lap times around Spa by nearly twelve seconds.

ok, after playing some more, I've come to grips with the physics...and don't have the swaying as much since I'm hitting the lines.

However, graphics are still worse but when I'm in a race, I don't notice as much since this game does make you concentrate on driving which you don't get in many games. Just can't believe how bad the slick tires look, they are like a pixelated gradient.

and then Damage, still horrible. Why is it still if you hit the wall, you're tire isn't immediately damaged? F1 2001 did this. I mean they put split screen in, but keep the same damage? come on, I thought this was all about the F1 experience.

7/10.

Very quick from me, gonna do a video review for you guys on Monday or Tuesday.

Ok, I am playing PC, G27, ultra graphics settings, no aids and so forth.

I am finding it very hard to fault so far to be honest. I have put about 3 hours into it (1 before work 2 after) but I have 3 days off workign soon so will be able to give more detail after that and in my video review.

Visual/Audio:
Graphics
Big subject of discussion has been graphics, although it seems to be the Ps3 that seems to have issues here. I certainly think it is much improved over 2010 and looks very nice indeed. Nicer colours, nice little effects and details, a lot more life in the paddocks and around the tracks in general.

Presentation
Very simalair to 2010, although the paddock backdrop is much improved, and having everything in one menu seems to have tidied it up nicely. Career hub looks more polished and much easier to navigate. In the garage, its as oyu were. People have actually complained about it being like 2010 in this regard. I say, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Theres only so much you can do with garage screens.

Sound
Big improvment, the cars sound incredible, and with rapture 3d through my headphones, incredibly immersive. Some small things like the tiny clunk for DRS being opened some may find unnessecary but it doesn't bother me, gives your an audio cue for it. The sounds are more alive.

Gameplay:
AI
One of the biggest gameplay improvements is in the AI. I love racing with them and I dunno if its just me but the other drivers definatley have personality that matches the real world. They know how to race, and while it can be dicey sometimes its always fair and feels realistic. I have had a few very tense battles racing on pro!

Driving
No doubt, it is harder. I felt out of my depth at first with the aids off, but then I stopped driving like I did in F1 2010 and it started coming to me. Still a lot to learn here but the cars feel great and KERS and DRS bring a whole new feel into fast laps and strategy into the racing. Balancing fuel in the racing is important to, racing hard with rich fuel is all well and good but you have to save some at some point so when and how is key.

Safety Car
Deserves its own spot, I am able to write about it even though I have only done 4 20% races, in my 2nd race an incident at the back of the field (I was running 5th or something) caused a safety car. I had no issues with it at all, certainly none that have been claimed by someone over at the CM forums. I even ran a bit wide and did not get overtaken as he had claimed happened. You get more control than I was anticipating, full steering control and a majority of throttle/brake (unless you go to fast too close to the car ahead).

Overall
So far, hard to fault, my main beef is with career length only being 5 season but it has good reason for being so and I can forgive it for that. I wont give a score yet but its gonna be a high one, that will be covered in my in depth video review next week.

I dont know what to make of F1 2011. I didnt like the handling model at first but after a few races..i got used to them and they aint bad at all.

The graphics are poor as you say, I hope CM release a patch to sort out the obvious frame rate issues

MildAshers
Very quick from me, gonna do a video review for you guys on Monday or Tuesday.

Ok, I am playing PC, G27, ultra graphics settings, no aids and so forth.

I am finding it very hard to fault so far to be honest. I have put about 3 hours into it (1 before work 2 after) but I have 3 days off workign soon so will be able to give more detail after that and in my video review.

Visual/Audio:
Graphics
Big subject of discussion has been graphics, although it seems to be the Ps3 that seems to have issues here. I certainly think it is much improved over 2010 and looks very nice indeed. Nicer colours, nice little effects and details, a lot more life in the paddocks and around the tracks in general.

Presentation
Very simalair to 2010, although the paddock backdrop is much improved, and having everything in one menu seems to have tidied it up nicely. Career hub looks more polished and much easier to navigate. In the garage, its as oyu were. People have actually complained about it being like 2010 in this regard. I say, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Theres only so much you can do with garage screens.

Sound
Big improvment, the cars sound incredible, and with rapture 3d through my headphones, incredibly immersive. Some small things like the tiny clunk for DRS being opened some may find unnessecary but it doesn't bother me, gives your an audio cue for it. The sounds are more alive.

Gameplay:
AI
One of the biggest gameplay improvements is in the AI. I love racing with them and I dunno if its just me but the other drivers definatley have personality that matches the real world. They know how to race, and while it can be dicey sometimes its always fair and feels realistic. I have had a few very tense battles racing on pro!

Driving
No doubt, it is harder. I felt out of my depth at first with the aids off, but then I stopped driving like I did in F1 2010 and it started coming to me. Still a lot to learn here but the cars feel great and KERS and DRS bring a whole new feel into fast laps and strategy into the racing. Balancing fuel in the racing is important to, racing hard with rich fuel is all well and good but you have to save some at some point so when and how is key.

Safety Car
Deserves its own spot, I am able to write about it even though I have only done 4 20% races, in my 2nd race an incident at the back of the field (I was running 5th or something) caused a safety car. I had no issues with it at all, certainly none that have been claimed by someone over at the CM forums. I even ran a bit wide and did not get overtaken as he had claimed happened. You get more control than I was anticipating, full steering control and a majority of throttle/brake (unless you go to fast too close to the car ahead).

Overall
So far, hard to fault, my main beef is with career length only being 5 season but it has good reason for being so and I can forgive it for that. I wont give a score yet but its gonna be a high one, that will be covered in my in depth video review next week.

Sounds good massive improvement from last game would you say?

Codemasters have not learned anything. The replay cameras are ridiculous. How many times does one see a camera view jerking through the air on F1 following the car? The graphics are simply cr@p. The helicopter view is so phony. Remember Codemasters released one solitary patch for F1 2010 and dropped everyone on a terrible patch. This game is even worse. I didn't pay for F1 2010 and I didn't pay for F1 2011 and I'd have been angry had I thrown cash away on these 2. I doubt I'll even back this up to disc. Just a deletion is in order because they'll issue a cruddy patch and then dump everyone till next years garbage release. Buy this game and you'll be sorry.

Sounds good massive improvement from last game would you say?

Enourmous, might not be completely obvious at first, but once you delve into the racing and the like, it becomes clear.

Codemasters have not learned anything. The replay cameras are ridiculous. How many times does one see a camera view jerking through the air on F1 following the car? The graphics are simply cr@p. The helicopter view is so phony. Remember Codemasters released one solitary patch for F1 2010 and dropped everyone on a terrible patch. This game is even worse. I didn't pay for F1 2010 and I didn't pay for F1 2011 and I'd have been angry had I thrown cash away on these 2. I doubt I'll even back this up to disc. Just a deletion is in order because they'll issue a cruddy patch and then dump everyone till next years garbage release. Buy this game and you'll be sorry.

Hi, you must be from the Codemasters forums because you sound like what they all sound like.

I mean really? I dont think replay cameras are high on the devs to do list, thankfully.

Enourmous, might not be completely obvious at first, but once you delve into the racing and the like, it becomes clear.

Hi, you must be from the Codemasters forums because you sound like what they all sound like.

I mean really? I dont think replay cameras are high on the devs to do list, thankfully.

Can't believe the things people get sour over sometimes. I'm quite happy with this game, graphics and all.

Because replay camers are so important to the gameplay?

Heck, while we are here, the T-cam is too central compared to the real one, Im taking it straight back to the shop! :grumpy:

It's a valid complaint though. Two years on from dirt 2 and f1 is still saddled with their replay angles, totally unsuited to f1. The reason for the lack of tv camera angles they say is because it would show up parts of the scenery they can't/won't bother making. This is understandable given just how much the game struggles with frame rate as it is.

It's a valid complaint though. Two years on from dirt 2 and f1 is still saddled with their replay angles, totally unsuited to f1. The reason for the lack of tv camera angles they say is because it would show up parts of the scenery they can't/won't bother making. This is understandable given just how much the game struggles with frame rate as it is.

I wonder if its cause their EGO engine is already being pushed to the limits? Anyway, not a big deal to me. Hardly ever watch the replays. I would love to have better angles, saving of replays, and changing the drivers during the replay, but its no worry for me.

This is a racing game and the racing is "king". I feel the racing is great. With the physics, ai, drs, kers, tire wear/model, safety car, is what this game is about anyway. I will play it for quite a long time and probably pick up the pc version later for the mods that are sure to come. I play ps3 version and yes the graphics are "meh" at best, but I love the racing in this game above the graphics and the replays. Guess its all in the eye of the beholder.

With that said, I'm going to play more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell me where I can find the default settings for the DFGT in F1 2011. I've only seen where you can adjust stuff in the advanced wheel options...I'm at my wits end with this game so far.

In the Controller Options Screen you can select your default wheel. It's at the top of the menu before you select Advanced Wheel Options.

I wonder if its cause their EGO engine is already being pushed to the limits? Anyway, not a big deal to me. Hardly ever watch the replays. I would love to have better angles, saving of replays, and changing the drivers during the replay, but its no worry for me.

This is a racing game and the racing is "king". I feel the racing is great. With the physics, ai, drs, kers, tire wear/model, safety car, is what this game is about anyway. I will play it for quite a long time and probably pick up the pc version later for the mods that are sure to come. I play ps3 version and yes the graphics are "meh" at best, but I love the racing in this game above the graphics and the replays. Guess its all in the eye of the beholder.

With that said, I'm going to play more.

My approach too 👍

Overall the game is better than 2010, DRS and KERS work really well.

For the people complaining about graphics, just remember it's got 24 cars on track unlike GT5 which usually has 12, concessions have to be made somewhere, it wouldn't make sense to have GT5 quality graphics and half the cars on track.

My biggest disappointments (still) are the lack of little things such as being able to walk around the paddock doing random interviews, showing a packed start grid before a race complete with bikini-clad chicks holding the number boards for each driver, a parade lap, more cut scenes showing your driver and ffs why is there still no podium scene when you finish in the top 3? Just little things like that would go a long way to giving the game a real F1 atmosphere.

Okay, my first impressions don't count because I screwed up the dfgt settings. Now that I actually can finish a lap in one piece lol, I can now say confidently that the ffb is miles ahead of what it was in F1 2010. I love it. Graphics wise seems the same to me but the ffb more than makes up for it. I'm psyched for the co-op championship which I will start tomorrow with a buddy finally lol.

The graphics seem to have improved a bit online..Or is it just me? Weird :/
Game looks stunning in the wet, but in the dry..still a bit rough around the edges

I think this game is getting close to Rfactor it needs time and updates stunning game !! i like it !! i bet PS4 with this game = complete super ireal game. it needs 2 years. or this year updates like GT5. i bet f1 2011 owns. its the money worth.

I love this game. It's so much better then f1 2010 and hell a lot more exciting then gt5. Love the new physics. I play Ps3 ver dfgt no assist at all. All sim.turn on

Magik300
I love this game. It's so much better then f1 2010 and hell a lot more exciting then gt5. Love the new physics. I play Ps3 ver dfgt no assist at all. All sim.turn on

Are we playing the same game here? Ps3 version is shocking, and no way is it anywhere near gt5 in looks!!!!!

Are we playing the same game here? Ps3 version is shocking, and no way is it anywhere near gt5 in looks!!!!!

To be fair he said nothing about GT5's looks. It is plainly obvious that F1 2011 does not compare to GT5 far as graphics go, but this game does have something that GT5 does not: a career that will test you to the max of your abilities. That is what I think the major appeal of this game is.

The game is good / in comparison with other race games : Need for speed And some others.

but its getting nearly GT5 they need to push that graphics more and they get there in F1 2012 Maybe soon.

I'm not a graphic whore. It's true it far away from gt 5 but I love the thrill of racing something that I miss in gt 5. If I just want to drive then I chose gt5 uber alles

Is it me or are the races decided on luck on who gets out quickest in the pits?

I mean on my first race at Melbourne I was running first by about a second up to the pitstops. But then disaster because all the AI is pitting in at the same time all of the pitlane gets blocked up and I end doing a 10 second stop and losing about 10 places...

Luckily I only had it on intermediate difficulty for the first race and was able to race my way back up to first. But it seems like AI is affected as well, as on the next race at Malaysia I had a lead of about 5 seconds before the stops (stopped a lap early this time!) on Vettel but after the stops were done somehow Button was 14 seconds behind me and when I looked in the final classification Vettel was 20 seconds behind Button.... I reckon Vettel got unlucky in the pits like I did.

Xbox 360 version with Fanatec Turbo S wheel and clubsport pedals. Playing on expert but with rules/penalties set to reduced.

Cars feel considerably more alive, now it's actually possible to correct slides as long as the slip angle doesn't get too big. Tyre drop off, as with last years title is well modeled. With the Perellis you really notice the difference in bolting on the options.

Just done one race so far, 50% distance at Melborne with a full race weekend. Going from the medium to the soft both in qualifying and the race was very satisfying and the AI are clearly a step up this year in terms of their pace. Unfortunately when going for my option run in Q1 I forgot to set my fuel mixture back to rich having crused around on my outlap with it set to lean.

Managing KERS and DRS is a real challange at first. Thankfully it got easier when I had the brain wave of seeing if I could map KERS to my clutch pedal. This made things a lot easier as the button positioning on the Turbo S isn't the best. I think given enough time muscle memory will kick in making it second nature. Just got to be carefull over when you open the rear wing, I was like a spinning top at first such is the dramatic shift in down force from rear to front. I think car setup has an important role to play here.

Other aspects of the AI aren't so great. After a good start I let a few mistakes slip into my race, seeing if I could make it on one stop (I didn't) probably didn't help. As it was I had the leaders come up to lap me, only they were rather hesistent. I was lifting off early into the breaking zones but they weren't decisive engough once they got along side which lead to me retaining my place and then losing even more time latter on. Trying to do a race simulation in practice is also problematic as the AI will use DRS all the time making it hard to get a run of laps in where there's not someone right up your gearbox.

Tried one of the time attacks after the race, the Williams in the wet at Spa. How an earth those at the top of the leaderboard managed 1:46:xxx's I'll never know. I know there are a lot of very fast people out there but to be over 10 seconds in front of the gold time!

I've got the game on rental at the moment and will be wating to see how Codemaster responds to all the bugs, again, before deciding whether or not to purchase.

They're that fast because they probably do the glitch where you set the spring rate to 11-11 and makes you insanely faster. Doing that you'll be able to use DRS through Eau Rouge.

Is it me or are the races decided on luck on who gets out quickest in the pits?

I mean on my first race at Melbourne I was running first by about a second up to the pitstops. But then disaster because all the AI is pitting in at the same time all of the pitlane gets blocked up and I end doing a 10 second stop and losing about 10 places...

Luckily I only had it on intermediate difficulty for the first race and was able to race my way back up to first. But it seems like AI is affected as well, as on the next race at Malaysia I had a lead of about 5 seconds before the stops (stopped a lap early this time!) on Vettel but after the stops were done somehow Button was 14 seconds behind me and when I looked in the final classification Vettel was 20 seconds behind Button.... I reckon Vettel got unlucky in the pits like I did.

I haven't experienced this once yet in 2011 even when I pit when the race engineer tells me and there's other cars in with me, in 2010 it happened all the time so my solution was to ignore the first call to the pits and pit the following lap or pit a lap early if it's only a 20% distance race, problem solved. As for the AI they probably do suffer as well but if it's a shorter race distance then you will get a lot of cars trying to pit on the same lap, I doubt it will be a problem playing on full race distance where pit stops are more staggered.

This so called glitch, It isn't really a glitch, its just the way the setups work in the game. I gained maybe 1-3 seconds in dry conditions (depending on track) from setting up my car in such a way, but then I gained 3 seconds when I used a proper setup in iRacings F1 car at Silverstone, compared to the default fixed setup.

I would expect them to tame it down, but it certaintly isnt as bad as people make out, atleast in career mode. It doesn't feel like a glitch to me, more like the default setups are just bad. The fact that it does nothing in the rain supports what i say.

Back