First onboard lap of the new Yas Marina circuit

  • Thread starter Thread starter The Outlaw
  • 66 comments
  • 9,273 views
Haha, I didn't see that at all. But now I guess I do. It also kind of reminds me of Starship Enterprise. Even more so a Gillette Fusion razor haha, colors and everything.
 
Good point. I think the main issue is just how blind the run through the pit exit is, otherwise I agree, it's not much worse than Interlagos. If a car did happen to hit the wall, it looks as if they have a yellow light up board before the left turn under the tunnel...and I'm sure they'd have a flagger or two there anyway.
I don't think it's a case of the organisers simply putting it in there. They would have run it past the FIA first, who would have reviewed it and made recommendations. And it's not like the drivers are idiots about this sort of thing, either: the white line might be before the corner, but that doesn't mean they'll be taking it flat out. They'll get used to it as the weekend goes on, so by the end of it, they'll know precisely how to take it.

LSX
I don't think they are TV's, just led's that can display shapes and colors, or I could be wrong and it could be more like a giant tv.

All I know is that it's going to look great.
It's the former. It's like one of those funky fibre optic tassle-y things; the lights can be programmed to change in sequence.
 
reminds me alot of a vegas hotel with those lights. it will look good with it turning to a checkered flag at the end of the race.
 
I don't think it's a case of the organisers simply putting it in there. They would have run it past the FIA first, who would have reviewed it and made recommendations. And it's not like the drivers are idiots about this sort of thing, either: the white line might be before the corner, but that doesn't mean they'll be taking it flat out. They'll get used to it as the weekend goes on, so by the end of it, they'll know precisely how to take it.

Yea, like Rosberg at Singapore :lol: When things are on the line, don't bet that they won't be taking the pit exit as quickly as possible.

But I agree, the FIA definitely had oversight in the design and safety of the pitlane exit. But don't think that this simply means no accident will ever occur simply because of that fact.
 
Just watched the video and loved it. Pretty awesome circuit. Especially loved the insane pit lane exit.

Good find TA and thanks for sharing! 👍
 
Awesome video! Like everyone else I love the pit exit. :lol: Should be a fantastic track! Can't wait for the F1 to go there and also the V8 Supercars next year. :sly:
 
They had to make the Pit exit there to avoid spitting cars out onto the outside of a fast bend - this way they get put out away from the racing line.

C.
 
They had to make the Pit exit there to avoid spitting cars out onto the outside of a fast bend - this way they get put out away from the racing line.

C.
You have to admit though, it is pretty cool looking.
 
I like the start of the lap, but to be honest this looks like Valencia but with more money. And less corner variety.

But it'll look really cool on TV so I don't really care.

I just don't think there will be much overtaking, and its really repetetive.
 
That picture is amazing of the lighting but I think there will be childish remarks about its shape. and thanks lsx and interludes for explaining about what it is.
 
But don't think that this simply means no accident will ever occur simply because of that fact.
And I don't think an accident will occur simply because it is different. Seriously, how often are there problems in the pit exit? All drivers leave the pits at least eight times during a race wekeend. With twenty dirvers, that's one hundred and sixty in a weekend. In twenty races - yeah, I'm rounding up - there's over two thousand pit exits in a single year. And how many times has someone made a mockery of it? The only one I can think of if Nico Rosberg in Singapore.

The drivers are not idiots: they're the best in the world at what they do. If they cannot constantly and consistently drive out of the pits, why are they even in the sport to begin with?
 
And I don't think an accident will occur simply because it is different. Seriously, how often are there problems in the pit exit? All drivers leave the pits at least eight times during a race wekeend. With twenty dirvers, that's one hundred and sixty in a weekend. In twenty races - yeah, I'm rounding up - there's over two thousand pit exits in a single year. And how many times has someone made a mockery of it? The only one I can think of if Nico Rosberg in Singapore.

The drivers are not idiots: they're the best in the world at what they do. If they cannot constantly and consistently drive out of the pits, why are they even in the sport to begin with?


I'm not here to argue over what "might" happen...because there's no predicting what might happen and when in ANY race. You are acting as if it is a guarantee that nothing will ever happen, simply because they are the best drivers in the world and do not make such silly mistakes...even if it is a problem which is out of their control at the time.

Hamilton made one of the dumbest errors I've ever seen, and plowed right into the back of Raikkonen's car (who was blatantly sitting at a redlight) last year at Montreal as he was approaching the pitlane exit....mistakes do happen, even at the highest level.

Does all of this mean we will see an accident here in Formula 1? Who the hell is to say...chances are no, but anything can happen. So I'll leave it at that.

It's also a good thing tire warmers weren't banned for next season :lol:
 
Last edited:
Well the sudden light turning into darkness may well blind a driver, and he won't see where he's going and bam, into the wall, red flags, mobile crane has to come in and pick the car up, pitlane closed, leading drivers run out of fuel, and we have a Torro Rosso taking the checkered flag.
 
I'm not here to argue over what "might" happen...because there's no predicting what might happen and when in ANY race. You are acting as if it is a guarantee that nothing will ever happen, simply because they are the best drivers in the world and do not make such silly mistakes...even if it is a problem which is out of their control at the time.
My argument is not that it will be a non-issue, but rather that everyone is making too much of it. The organisers in Abu Dhabi have no doubt planned for this sort of thing. There will likely be marshalls with flags, and the exit is wide enough so that oncoming cars can pass around the outside, and teams will no doubt relay information to drivers. In the event that a car blocks the pit exit, I would not be surprised to learn that a section of pit wall is actually removeable so that cars can exit before going down to the tunnel, with yellow flags to warn drivers on the circuit of the change in conditions.
 
Well the sudden light turning into darkness may well blind a driver, and he won't see where he's going and bam, into the wall, red flags, mobile crane has to come in and pick the car up, pitlane closed, leading drivers run out of fuel, and we have a Torro Rosso taking the checkered flag.
The whole circuit will be under lights, (due to the event being a twilight race), I'm sure they wont leave the pit exit in complete darkness, that would be rather foolish.
 
The whole circuit will be under lights, (due to the event being a twilight race), I'm sure they wont leave the pit exit in complete darkness, that would be rather foolish.
I think he means in the context of the actual tunnel; it goes from light in the actual lane to dark in a moment as the cars go under the tunnel. There's probably going to be lights in there, and the corner is intentionally sharp. The drivers will have to slow for it.
 
I see some nice features on this track, like the hairpin with the grandstands, it reminds me of the Motodrom of Hockenheim with its stadium-like atmosphere. But I would get rid of the chicane before the hairpin, there is a straight version right? And I don't like the last section, which feels too cleanly drawn and depressingly slow.
 
Well the sudden light turning into darkness may well blind a driver, and he won't see where he's going and bam, into the wall, red flags, mobile crane has to come in and pick the car up

Just like at Suzuka, Silverstone and Monaco.

Oh, wait.
 
I see some nice features on this track, like the hairpin with the grandstands, it reminds me of the Motodrom of Hockenheim with its stadium-like atmosphere. But I would get rid of the chicane before the hairpin, there is a straight version right? And I don't like the last section, which feels too cleanly drawn and depressingly slow.
The chicane can be taken straight, but it won't be. There's no run-off area in the hairpin, so it cannot be taken at speed. Given how wide and smooth the circuit is and the succession of corners, I think the idea is that the drivers have to take the chicane carrying a bit of speed for a good time, but if they get it wrong, they'll be slow in the hairpin and lose time - and with it, position - on the straight. As for the last section, you have to bear in mind that Senna is driving nearly a minute slower than the projected lap time. Some of those corners will be much quicker than shown.
 
My argument is not that it will be a non-issue, but rather that everyone is making too much of it. The organisers in Abu Dhabi have no doubt planned for this sort of thing. There will likely be marshalls with flags, and the exit is wide enough so that oncoming cars can pass around the outside, and teams will no doubt relay information to drivers. In the event that a car blocks the pit exit, I would not be surprised to learn that a section of pit wall is actually removeable so that cars can exit before going down to the tunnel, with yellow flags to warn drivers on the circuit of the change in conditions.

Fair enough :cheers:
 
I think we will see a fun race, and it should be fun to see how the drivers react to the desert conditions, because if I am right, the UAE is very dry, much more dry than Bahrain, and it will likely be like a night and day difference in conditions from Brazil.
 
Looks a very cool track indeed, lets hope the racing is exciting too.
 
I think we will see a fun race, and it should be fun to see how the drivers react to the desert conditions, because if I am right, the UAE is very dry, much more dry than Bahrain
Uh, nope. They're in the same region, and they're not that far apart.
 
Hey ludes, i can confirm that they are going to be lighting up the pit lane tunnel, saw a brief glimpse of it during the F1 show when Brundle and DC took a couple of two seaters around the track in the dark
 
Uh, nope. They're in the same region, and they're not that far apart.
Well, I thought that since Bahrain was an island, that it would be more humid, and the UAE is on a mainland if I am correct, I would think the conditions would be similiar(sp) to the old Ceasar's Palace Grand Prix, where the conditions where so dry that drivers were dehydrating.
 
Doesn't make any difference. They're four hundred and fifty kilometres apart in one of the hottest, driest regions on earth. There's virtually no humidity at either.
 
I am so excited for this race i may pee my pants! not just because of the cool layout but for the simple fact that i am going to be there! I am sitting in the south grandstands and will upload Youtube videos each day. If you would like to see some of the race from my perspective my Youtube account is stopheryz85. This should be very exhilarating 👍
 
GP2 Asia is currently testing there ahead of next week's support races for the Grand Prix. It's the circuit's first experience with hosting an international formula series. Some of the drivers seem to like it:
Filippi tops first Abu Dhabi test

By Jamie O'Leary - Friday, October 23rd 2009, 16:37 GMT

Luca Filippi set the pace as the GP2 Asia Series staged its first day of pre-season testing at the brand new Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi.

The 24-year-old Italian was second quickest in the morning session in his Meritus car, behind Davide Valsecchi.

But he leapt to the top of the standings in the second session, which ended in the dark so that the track lighting system could be tested.

Filippi's pace-setting mark of 1m52.842s was set during the second session as the track, which started the day under a layer of dust, became rubbered-in and the evening temperatures dropped by around 10 degrees.

"I have to say that we are very proud to be the first ones to test on this track, and the first ones to be quickest." said Filippi. "Meritus only does the Asia Series too, so it's a good achievement.

"In terms of layout, there are two great, fast corners. My favourite parts are the first three corners and then the last two. It's where all the fun happens and where you can prove your driver's skills. Overall, it's a really nice circuit."

Second quickest, a little over two tenths of a second slower than Filippi overall, was fellow series veteran Roldan Rodriguez, who was driving for Coloni.

Diego Nunes, in the second Meritus car, was third quickest with Valsecchi and Luiz Razia next up for iSport and Barwa Addax.

Britain’s Sam Bird was the best of the rookie drivers in his ART machine, with fellow F3 Euro Series graduates Johnny Cecotto (Trident) and Christian Vietoris (DAMS) next up.

Max Chilton, Will Bratt and James Jakes were 10th, 11th and 19th for Addax, Coloni and Super Nova respectively.
So at least intial impressions are that it's not the absolute disaster people were expecting. We'll just have to wait until next week when the first laps are driven in anger for a fuller account. More testing later today.
 
Back