First Time weightlifter

• Thread starter CDailey
  • 19 comments
United States
Alabama
I am a first time weightlifter.well.about to be a first timer.i am 14 and a little over weight and i am out of shape.so i asked my dad if i could get his weights out and start using them.and ofcourse as the loving father he is he said yes.so i need your help.how should i start off with my weightlifting?any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Don't. Any literature that you read says to start weights after you finish growing. Ala around 16-17. If you start now, start out VERY VERY light. Do weights so you can do 30 reps w/o trouble.

Once you decide you want to go hardcore, Pick up to a weight that you can only do 10 reps with.

Only do weights every second day on the same part of your body. ie do legs one day, and upper the next. Then take a day off and do cardio.

You should be fine.

Look online for some fitness programs.

Originally posted by Deathhawk
Don't. Any literature that you read says to start weights after you finish growing. Ala around 16-17. If you start now, start out VERY VERY light. Do weights so you can do 30 reps w/o trouble.

Why? I am 15 and I do as much weight as I can. I am done growing for the most part. 15 and 6'0''. :confused:

thanx!but im not gonna go hardcore.i dont want to look like Arnold Schwartzanager.i just want to do it to get into shape and nothing else.ok....maybe to showoff to some girlies but all i want to do is get in shape.BTW:where should i look for more info?

Originally posted by ViperConcept

Why? I am 15 and I do as much weight as I can. I am done growing for the most part. 15 and 6'0''. :confused:

I've heard reports similar to those mentioned by Deathhawk - I can't remember the specific reasons, I think it's something to do with the density of the bones when they're growing, can't remember the specifics. It's not that you can't do them, you just need to be careful, as if I recall correctly it can bugger up your muscle growth.

I would be inclined to recommend good cardio work at this stage, such as running, cycling and swimming, with some light weight work - at your age you'll tone up pretty quickly.

Originally posted by jubula
oh...and what is a good time to do my lifting/cardio exersizes.

In the morning.

I generally do my stuff at lunchtime, but that's mainly because:
- I like to start work early
- I have trouble getting out of bed early
- the gym is always crowded in the morning

Also, do a little research into diet, like protein after doing weights and that sort of stuff.

Originally posted by jubula
ill do a diet.but ill die and go to hell before i take protien!that is some nasty tasting ****!

Fortunately it comes in convenient packaging, like chicken, fish and cow.

well i know that.i just thought u meant suplements or protein bars.sry to blow my lid.luckely i have some chicken in the fridge!

The reason that you may have troubles is that at your age, the cartalige around your joints have not fully hardened. They don't reccomend hard weights, or jump training untill you hit 18, that is why so many gyms won't let you into the weight rooms till you are 18 or 17.

Begin by doing Press Ups for age 14? Also if you want to lose some weight :burger: you really shouldn't cut you diet to much during Puberty and growth? :Pizza: Try Jogging instead?

Try eating more fruit :apple: and less sweets :donut:

The Protein Shakes are pretty tasty if you get the flavoured ones? :cheers:

Or Creatine is another idea? More performance related I think?...:D

Hope that Helps :smilewink

i do bench presses maybe 3 or 4 times a week...i do 85Lbs of 2 sets of 15 and another 3 of 10.....then during the same day i do crunches for a minimum of 300...it helps you stay in shape while you eat junkfood...i am 15 years old and i weigh 145LBS and i am 6'0

My son recently started lifting with me. He is only 11 and I keep him on high reps and low weights. I try and keep him on our weight machine and keep him away from the free weights. Starting so young is dangeous if you try and go too heavy because of the bone density as Vat man said and the cartalage development as Deathhawk mentioned also. You need to balance your weight training with cardio work. I usually work out at night every night except for Sunday. You will have to decide for yourself what times are best for you. Everyone is different and everyone has a time when they work out best. I tried mornings but I never got the lifts I wanted to until I switched to nights.
As far as getting more info you can search the web or pick up Muscle and Fitness magazine or Flex magazine. Both are put out by Weider and have a wealth of knowlegable people in the field to draw from.
One other thing. If you do decide to hit the weights try and get a buddy to work out with you. For safety reasons and to motivate each other.
Good luck in your effort.

Im 14, im 5'8" and 175 pounds. I'v been lifing since around twelve and since then i have grew 6 inches, and i can bench press 190 pounds once, 185 twice and 155 for a set of 10.

If you want to lose weight, or just turn the weight into muscle weights are a good way to go. The excersizes you should do depend on the weights you have, but bench press, squat, dead lift, power clean, vertical pushes and defenitly sit ups, push ups and other basics are what I started out with, but it all depends on the weights you have.

Yeah. Free weights aren't the best things you could do for your body when you're young. If you want to build muscles, you might want to stick with push ups, pull ups, etc. I love crunches (the burn). Hey, do you guys know a excercise that's really good for your lower abs?

Originally posted by quicksilver1122
Yeah. Free weights aren't the best things you could do for your body when you're young. If you want to build muscles, you might want to stick with push ups, pull ups, etc. I love crunches (the burn). Hey, do you guys know a excercise that's really good for your lower abs?

Best thing I've found are legup's. What I do is use the jammer machine, which at my school(where I lift when I lift) there are straps that you put your arms through to hold you up, so you grab onto those, then hold a medicine ball with your feet, or what I like to do is use a belt, put a 35lbs weight on it, then strap it to my legs around my ankles, then I hold up the weight with my ankles and my feet, then do about 3 sets of 15, bringing up my feet under control. I should do those again....

Latest Posts

Back