First week playing for over two decades. Harder than I thought, Help!

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone. I’ve started reading the forum over the last month. I’m a New member here looking for some words of encouragement or perhaps some tough love to tell me what I suspect I already know.
I‘ve been wanting to get back into GT for a while now, I haven’t played since GT2 in the 90s, and still have PTSD from the Licenses in GT1! Anyway, I got myself a g29 and playseat and have been playing GTSport non stop all week - maybe 6 hours a day (off work at the moment). Thing is I don’t really feel like I‘m improving and I’m miles off the pace and getting a little frustrated and disheartened. For instance today I’m trying to do the Group Race B qualifying for literally four hours and I just can’t get better, I know what I need to do and watch the youtube guides and everything but I just can’t get the car to do it. I’m using the WRX as seems to be the car of choice and my best time is 1.25.3. 5 seconds off the top guys. And that was a bit of a fluke. I spin out more often than not. Sure, it’s only been a week but I feel like I have already plateaued at a useless level. I feel like my Dad when I was trying to teach him to play Sonic the Hedgehog and he couldn’t do something that was so easy for me to be able to do. Am I my Dad?!
More a stream of consciousness than a question but everyone here always seems so nice so hopefully you’ll be able to cheer me up.
Just to add, I’ve gold all the driving school and missions, and do the circuit experience for the tracks I’m on.

Last edited:
Anything on dirt besides an online race, I’d move to the controller. 🤣
What FFB and sensitivity settings are you running?
It also takes a little bit of time to get use to a wheel, imo.

Edit: Welcome to GTP 🍻:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Ok. I’ve just spent the last two hours in the B race and I’m having a blast. Sort of. Turns out there’s loads of people as crap as me. So it’s even. What I can’t understand is the ramming and side smashing. Half the field use my car as a brake every race. So I am getting spun out constantly. What’s the point of the SR thingy!

Anything on dirt besides an online race, I’d move to the controller. 🤣
What FFB and sensitivity settings are you running?
It also takes a little bit of time to get use to a wheel, imo.

Edit: Welcome to GTP 🍻:gtpflag:
Good grief. I thought the g29 was going to fall to pieces in the small rally stages I had to do for the missions!
I’m constantly messing with the ffb settings. I’ve got it at 2 torque 5 sensitivity. But I seem to change it for every car.

Good grief. I thought the g29 was going to fall to pieces in the small rally stages I had to do for the missions!
I’m constantly messing with the ffb settings. I’ve got it at 2 torque 5 sensitivity. But I seem to change it for every car.
Everyone is different but I’ve found 3-4 on torque and 10 on sensitivity works best for me in all cars.

The first 10 races are gonna be tough yet comical at the same time. Just race your own race and watch out for the crazies.
The racing gets better the higher you move up in Dr/SR but you’ll still have the occasional knuckleheads has move up in ratings.
B tends to be an aggressive race because it’s short.

• Use bumper cam. Never anything else.
  • Use standard ABS.
  • Never use TCS, unless in standing starts.
  • Use 1-5 (max torque) / 1 (ffb sens) ffb settings. Otherwise it's more difficult to feel grip and weight transfer.

Don't ever change these settings.

Just go daily racing and have fun. Don't practice alone, having anxiety competing against others. However you drive, there are people sucking a lot more.

Welcome!

Last edited:
I have a G29, you need to turn the ffb to 1-2 on all dirt tracks. Pick the smaller tracks and get use to the steering of the wheel you should learn that unlike (most games) in GT games you need to turn the wheel way,way,way before you want to turn on dirt.

Hi Everyone. I’ve started reading the forum over the last month. I’m a New member here looking for some words of encouragement or perhaps some tough love to tell me what I suspect I already know.
I‘ve been wanting to get back into GT for a while now, I haven’t played since GT2 in the 90s, and still have PTSD from the Licenses in GT1! Anyway, I got myself a g29 and playseat and have been playing GTSport non stop all week - maybe 6 hours a day (off work at the moment). Thing is I don’t really feel like I‘m improving and I’m miles off the pace and getting a little frustrated and disheartened. For instance today I’m trying to do the Group Race B qualifying for literally four hours and I just can’t get better, I know what I need to do and watch the youtube guides and everything but I just can’t get the car to do it. I’m using the WRX as seems to be the car of choice and my best time is 1.25.3. 5 seconds off the top guys. And that was a bit of a fluke. I spin out more often than not. Sure, it’s only been a week but I feel like I have already plateaued at a useless level. I feel like my Dad when I was trying to teach him to play Sonic the Hedgehog and he couldn’t do something that was so easy for me to be able to do. Am I my Dad?!
More a stream of consciousness than a question but everyone here always seems so nice so hopefully you’ll be able to cheer me up.
Just to add, I’ve gold all the driving school and missions, and do the circuit experience for the tracks I’m on.
You just need more practise using your wheel my friend and Welcome, When I had a G29 I use torque 4/1 sensitively FFB and I always use roof cam, because I found it to be a better option than other views.
Learn left foot braking as well.

Thank you all. I’m feeling a bit more positive after some online races. I got my SR ranking up to S and was matched against other S ranks and the two races I did like this were very uneventful, in a good way. They seriously need to do something about the state of some of the rooms. It really ruins it.
@HugoTwoWheels I’ve been forcing myself to use bumper cam since I started this week, after decades of chase cam gaming with arcade racers it took some time. But using the wheel definitely helped adjust I think. However, as far as I can see there is no option for a rear view mirror in this view, which seems like a big omission. I‘m sure that would help avoid a lot of accidents.
Edit: I‘m using roof cam, I couldn’t get on with bumper cam, but that one does have a mirror so may try to persevere. Not sure.

You just need more practise using your wheel my friend and Welcome, When I had a G29 I use torque 4/1 sensitively FFB and I always use roof cam, because I found it to be a better option than other views.
Learn left foot braking as well.
I feel like a got a lot more consistent today, especially in the races. I was able to lap 1.25 pretty consistently, when I was struggling to do that on my own. It’s strange, perhaps because I’m not thinking about the driving as much when I’m looking out for other cars.
I’ve been left foot braking and I’m ok with that. Ive done quite a bit of go karting so it wasn’t completely alien!
I’m using the camera that shows the bonnet. I thought that was bumper cam as mentioned earlier, but I guess bumper cam is the low down one with just the road. I couldn’t get on with that one.

And thank you for the welcome messages. Seems like a good bunch here.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I’m feeling a bit more positive after some online races. I got my SR ranking up to S and was matched against other S ranks and the two races I did like this were very uneventful, in a good way. They seriously need to do something about the state of some of the rooms. It really ruins it.
@HugoTwoWheels I’ve been forcing myself to use bumper cam since I started this week, after decades of chase cam gaming with arcade racers it took some time. But using the wheel definitely helped adjust I think. However, as far as I can see there is no option for a rear view mirror in this view, which seems like a big omission. I‘m sure that would help avoid a lot of accidents.
Good! There's no reason to ever be below SR 99. Also, if you show respect, most will show respect back. And if you push people around...

I think you misunderstood the views. Bumper cam is the only one with a rear mirror. There's no car on screen at all, just the road, HUD and mirror. Most quick players use this.

• As someone said, left foot brake of course.
  • when you're closely behind someone, lift off to create distance before full force braking. Or even better, don't brake full force. Otherwise stupid accidents easily happen.

I feel like a got a lot more consistent today, especially in the races. I was able to lap 1.25 pretty consistently, when I was struggling to do that on my own. It’s strange, perhaps because I’m not thinking about the driving as much when I’m looking out for other cars.
I’ve been left foot braking and I’m ok with that. Ive done quite a bit of go karting so it wasn’t completely alien!
I’m using the camera that shows the bonnet. I thought that was bumper cam as mentioned earlier, but I guess bumper cam is the low down one with just the road. I couldn’t get on with that one.
The camera that shows the bonnet is the best view :). and that is good you are getting more consistent :cheers:.

The camera that shows the bonnet is the best view :). and that is good you are getting more consistent :cheers:.
You gain vision of the track in front of you but miss what's going on behind just before and during braking. Everything else is about personal preference, I'd say.
I tend to race faster and cleaner with bumper cam, but you really need to know the track...

Good! There's no reason to ever be below SR 99. Also, if you show respect, most will show respect back. And if you push people around...

I think you misunderstood the views. Bumper cam is the only one with a rear mirror. There's no car on screen at all, just the road, HUD and mirror. Most quick players use this.

• As someone said, left foot brake of course.
  • when you're closely behind someone, lift off to create distance before full force braking. Or even better, don't brake full force. Otherwise stupid accidents easily happen.
I’m quite paranoid about hitting others, perhaps too much so. But so far I haven’t hit anyone. I really wish the roof cam had a mirror.

I’m quite paranoid about hitting others, perhaps too much so. But so far I haven’t hit anyone. I really wish the roof cam had a mirror.
It would probably be over powered then and everyone would use it.

I use the rear mirror to defend from overtakes (fairly of course), and to avoid dive bombers who I then do a switchback on. I'm so used to it that I'd feel blind without.

You gain vision of the track in front of you but miss what's going on behind just before and during braking. Everything else is about personal preference, I'd say.
I tend to race faster and cleaner with bumper cam, but you really need to know the track...
I always focus on the track ahead and if I am missing what's going on behind me, well I am are being distracted and lose concentration.

there is no reason to see look in a mirror when I am racing
I Cant Even Brooklyn Nine Nine GIF

I meant to say, there is no reason to look in a mirror when I am racing
I know what you meant to say. It's still ridiculous.
and I blame gtplanet for that mistake and not my keypad.
Well of course you would. We leapt through the screen and forced you to make that post, and you didn't just hit "Post Reply" by yourself on a post you had infinite time to compose. We're evil like that.

I know what you meant to say. It's still ridiculous.

Well of course you would. We leapt through the screen and forced you to make that post, and you didn't just hit "Post Reply" by yourself on a post you had infinite time to compose. We're evil like that.
No way that is ridiculous.

When I want to change things in my post this comes up below sometimes, why.
Screenshot 2022-01-04 101119.png

No way that is ridiculous.
It absolutely is ridiculous, and some considerable distance over the ridiculousness event horizon.

You need to be aware of what's going on behind, and around, you, simply so you don't just blithely drive into other cars trying to overtake you. Claiming you'll only be "distracted" by what's behind and "lose concentration" is bewilderingly daft; you're racing other people, not time-trialling by yourself. You need to know where other people are, otherwise you're just a dangerous obstacle.

When I want to change things in my post this comes up below sometimes, why.
No idea. There's about a billion possibilities and no part of what you've posted helps narrow them down at all. This is roughly equivalent to taking your car to a garage and saying "CAR BROKE, FIX IT".

To be fair I've come across people who use all sorts of views.

Some are so good with controls they can flip to rear view quicker than I can looking up at the mirror. Some use cockpit view, as some cars have a decent rear camera.

I can switch back and forth while driving. Sometimes I need a better view of the apexes. I keep track of the radar arrows, the proximity meter and the time between the car behind. Which at times I feel is more accurate than the rear view.

To be fair I've come across people who use all sorts of views.

Some are so good with controls they can flip to rear view quicker than I can looking up at the mirror. Some use cockpit view, as some cars have a decent rear camera.

I can switch back and forth while driving. Sometimes I need a better view of the apexes. I keep track of the radar arrows, the proximity meter and the time between the car behind. Which at times I feel is more accurate than the rear view.
All of which is entirely appropriate... but:
I always focus on the track ahead and if I am missing what's going on behind me, well I am are being distracted and lose concentration.
Never. Looks. Behind.

Incredible.

It absolutely is ridiculous, and some considerable distance over the ridiculousness event horizon.

You need to be aware of what's going on behind, and around, you, simply so you don't just blithely drive into other cars trying to overtake you. Claiming you'll only be "distracted" by what's behind and "lose concentration" is bewilderingly daft; you're racing other people, not time-trialling by yourself. You need to know where other people are, otherwise you're just a dangerous obstacle.
100% wrong you got to focus on the road ahead and not behind you in a racing game, when I do Sport Mode or lobby races I 100% look ahead never behind me.

100% wrong you got to focus on the road ahead and not behind you in a racing game, when I do Sport Mode or lobby races I 100% look ahead never behind me.
Clueless.

If you're not aware of the cars around and behind you, you are a danger. You will take other people out again and again, through a complete lack of situational awareness, and you'll even blame them for it - like you blamed GTP for you making an incoherent post.

You're exactly the kind of selfish, entitled player everyone else has to look out for. You'll drive your line no matter what else is there, because to you there is nothing else there. It's just you.

But then we all already know what your attitude towards racing is, with your insane posts about perma-ghosting. Why you're even playing a racing game when you hate racing escapes me.

Last edited:
My two cents. I mostly use bumper cam because of the mirror, I have gotten used to picking other brake markers and turn in markers so I can see with cars right ahead of me.
I also use the radar as much as possible. The mirror and the radar makes it possible to avoid other cars (more, at least).
One of the most fun things to do in the game is seeing a dive bomber lining up, delay your turn-in and see him fly by and off track.

I haven't driven the other GT games but I have been told this one is more understeering so the slow in, fast out is even more important here.

Good luck moving forward, be polite but don't be a push-over. Practice makes, well at least better.

See you online I hope

Thread has lost its point. My advice as someone who also took a 20 year break and struggled to get up to pace;

• Use the view you are comfortable using
  • use traction control if you need it, try to limit it to 2 max
  • AWD cars don't need tc
  • turn on the racing line
  • focus of brake reference points for each corner so lap after lap you hit the anchors at the same place
  • exits, exits, exits, ESPECIALLY with the wrx which is high grip, low powered compared to the front wheel drive cars
  • did i mention exits?
  • keep your nose clean, cede if you have to to avoid idiots in lower lobbies to get back to srs.

Once you have mastered the above, you really should be at DRB. From there, we get into subtleties like modulating your braking to avoid understeer on entry and how to induce a little slip to reduce understeer on exit, between the two this will raise your mid corner speed which i will assume is terrible right now.

My one concern is you are spinning the wrx, this grips like a cat on carpet, how are you inducing a spin?

Thread has lost its point. My advice as someone who also took a 20 year break and struggled to get up to pace;

• Use the view you are comfortable using
  • use traction control if you need it, try to limit it to 2 max
  • AWD cars don't need tc
  • turn on the racing line
  • focus of brake reference points for each corner so lap after lap you hit the anchors at the same place
  • exits, exits, exits, ESPECIALLY with the wrx which is high grip, low powered compared to the front wheel drive cars
  • did i mention exits?
  • keep your nose clean, cede if you have to to avoid idiots in lower lobbies to get back to srs.

Once you have mastered the above, you really should be at DRB. From there, we get into subtleties like modulating your braking to avoid understeer on entry and how to induce a little slip to reduce understeer on exit, between the two this will raise your mid corner speed which i will assume is terrible right now.

My one concern is you are spinning the wrx, this grips like a cat on carpet, how are you inducing a spin?
Thank you for the pointers, I seem to be moving along your list organically. I’ve got TC off with the WRX but have it at 1 usually. With the RWD cars I’m really struggling to know when I can put the throttle down, I spin a lot so I tend to be very slow onto the throttle. Definitely losing time there. The big help has been consistent braking points, that’s helped but you’re spot on about cornering speed. I just don’t get how some people are so quick and maintain grip through the corners.
With regard spinning the WRX, I worded it improperly. I was constantly understeering off, trying to go to quick through a corner and going straight off into the Grass. Especially T2 on Race B

I play without any assists, not even braking/apex cones. Also, I don't look much at brake markers. Instead I stare at the apex, where I want to go, look at brake markers with my peripheral vision, and use my intuition for when to brake and how much. This helps me be more consistent, since I randomly **** up when I stare at brake markers or use assists. But of course, this is more advanced, and required mostly at high level racing or when you have varying amount of grip during the race.
I ride real life motorcycles in the same way. Or I'd be dead.

Clueless.

If you're not aware of the cars around and behind you, you are a danger. You will take other people out again and again, through a complete lack of situational awareness, and you'll even blame them for it - like you blamed GTP for you making an incoherent post.

You're exactly the kind of selfish, entitled player everyone else has to look out for. You'll drive your line no matter what else is there, because to you there is nothing else there. It's just you.

But then we all already know what your attitude towards racing is, with your insane posts about perma-ghosting. Why you're even playing a racing game when you hate racing escapes me.
In Daily or lobby races why should I look behind and I have the right to say my own opinion on things right.

You are the selfish one here big time because the way you treat me and some members on here, that tells me you need a good talking too. You come a long and make fun of me just because I have a disability and that is not on Famine.
@Jordan I really love this website and I don't want to go somewhere else, just because of an Administrator that always on my back on what I do or say on here.

Back