First week playing for over two decades. Harder than I thought, Help!

In Daily or lobby races why should I look behind
So you know what's going on around you. It's called "situational awareness" - being aware of your surroundings.

People who race cars and never look in their mirrors tend to occupy coffins, or send a lot of other people into them.

I have the right to say my own opinion on things right.
Yes and no. You have as much "right" as GTPlanet - a private entity, not government - allows you.

Other people also have the same right to express their opinions on your opinions.

You are the selfish one here big time because the way you treat me and some members on here, that tells me you need a good talking too.
Lol, what?

You drive as if there's nobody else around (and frequently lobby for ghosting, so that nobody else is around), then decide that other people are selfish (somehow... despite that not being the meaning of the word) because the fact that this behaviour is selfish is pointed out to you?

You come a long and make fun of me just because I have a disability and that is not on Famine.
You're... playing a disability card now?

I'm not making fun of you just because you have a disability; I'm not even aware you have one (I don't know, or care to know, who you are either). I'm discussing your opinions because you're posting really, really stupid opinions. You don't get to post nonsense without challenge, regardless of who you are or who you think you are.

My wife has a disability - a long-term, degenerative one. How does that factor into your pathetic attempt to play the victim?

@Jordan I really love this website
Except when it's making you post things you didn't want to, right?
I blame gtplanet for that mistake and not my keypad.
Dismal post, dismal attitude, dismal behaviour.

To steer vaguely onto topic, do watch out @NikNakTobasco, for drivers like the above one who will simply drive around a track without any concern that there might be other people on it, no matter what. They will take you out simply through not being even slightly aware that you are even there.

You can avoid being one of them by driving in a view that has a mirror and looking in it, or by frequent use of the "look back" button (where appropriate; not in corners!) if you prefer the roofcam - or both - in combination with the timing data to know when someone is close behind, or closing in from behind.

There's also a "radar" screen in the multi-function display which you should default to during a race - flick through other functions like brake balance and fuel map as you need, and timing to help you understand where you're gaining and losing time, but always skip back to the radar once you're done - as it allows you to see where other cars are in very close quarters. In addition there's red circles either side of the HUD which get larger as cars get closer, and if a car is extremely close then the edge of that side of the screen darkens.

Being aware of where other drivers are is pretty fundamental to racecraft, but you will always meet people who don't have any.

Hi Everyone. I’ve started reading the forum over the last month. I’m a New member here looking for some words of encouragement or perhaps some tough love to tell me what I suspect I already know.
I‘ve been wanting to get back into GT for a while now, I haven’t played since GT2 in the 90s, and still have PTSD from the Licenses in GT1! Anyway, I got myself a g29 and playseat and have been playing GTSport non stop all week - maybe 6 hours a day (off work at the moment). Thing is I don’t really feel like I‘m improving and I’m miles off the pace and getting a little frustrated and disheartened. For instance today I’m trying to do the Group Race B qualifying for literally four hours and I just can’t get better, I know what I need to do and watch the youtube guides and everything but I just can’t get the car to do it. I’m using the WRX as seems to be the car of choice and my best time is 1.25.3. 5 seconds off the top guys. And that was a bit of a fluke. I spin out more often than not. Sure, it’s only been a week but I feel like I have already plateaued at a useless level. I feel like my Dad when I was trying to teach him to play Sonic the Hedgehog and he couldn’t do something that was so easy for me to be able to do. Am I my Dad?!
More a stream of consciousness than a question but everyone here always seems so nice so hopefully you’ll be able to cheer me up.
Just to add, I’ve gold all the driving school and missions, and do the circuit experience for the tracks I’m on.

You are literally me! I started autocrossing in real life 5 years ago and a guy had a Gran Turismo number plate on his BRZ. We started talking and one thing led to another and we started a GTS monday night race league for CENLA SCCA members.

I hadn't played GTS since GT2. I too struggled pretty bad at first. But, over the next few months I picked up pace. Also picked up a wheel. Still improving today, 3.5 or so years later. Platinum trophy, beat LH, race consistently in 2nd split. I was in last or near last when we started our local league but now I beat all my young autocros buddies XD

You'll get it, how fast will be more your ability than mine, but it'll come to you.

There's also a "radar" screen in the multi-function display which you should default to during a race - flick through other functions like brake balance and fuel map as you need, and timing to help you understand where you're gaining and losing time, but always skip back to the radar once you're done - as it allows you to see where other cars are in very close quarters. In addition there's red circles either side of the HUD which get larger as cars get closer, and if a car is extremely close then the edge of that side of the screen darkens.
In bumper cam you also get this shadow on the side of the monitor where you have a car nearby. To me it's very intuitive. This combined with the other things you mention really gives a driver full possibility to race hard, fair and avoid accidents.

By the way, as a IRL motorcycle rider, I always look in my mirrors on the street as well, especially before and during braking. Also when standing still at a red light so that I can maneuver away if someone's texting or whatever and seems to be ramming me from behind. Just leave some space to the vehicle in front so you can steer to the side.

Rear mirrors are good. Use them!

Thank you for the pointers, I seem to be moving along your list organically. I’ve got TC off with the WRX but have it at 1 usually. With the RWD cars I’m really struggling to know when I can put the throttle down, I spin a lot so I tend to be very slow onto the throttle. Definitely losing time there. The big help has been consistent braking points, that’s helped but you’re spot on about cornering speed. I just don’t get how some people are so quick and maintain grip through the corners.
With regard spinning the WRX, I worded it improperly. I was constantly understeering off, trying to go to quick through a corner and going straight off into the Grass. Especially T2 on Race B
You need to use more TC with RWD cars, 1 will not be enough, go to 2. You need to LAY on the throttle early to generate times. Yeah TC cuts power but some cars are better than others, the AMG at TC2 still bites hard and scoots off. I qualify with one for those last few tenths but race with 2. You can see from my profile, i took a solid month to figure out how to generate pace.

download.png

Last edited:
5 seconds off the top times after 20 years away isn't slow OP. I've been playing racing games non stop for that amount of time and I can't get any closer than 2-3 seconds off the top times. I think you got the basic techniques and attitude right. Just need to practice and improve your accuracy. That will just come with time. This game is very competitive at the top and those guys are literally driving pixel perfect laps. It's all about perspective really. If you take an average joe off the street they will probably be 10 seconds off.

Hi @HugoTwoWheels I am telling the truth when it comes using the view of the bonnet, I like it because it's having a even better point of view of the corners by sacrificing special awareness. Using that view I have the information on my screen, like blindside indicator and the map and having them on screen, makes me don't want me to look behind by pressing the L2 button on my wheel.
I do use the L2 button for reversing, but I do not use the L2 button for knowing the whereabouts of other drivers in Sport Mode Races, like in the corners because I have no time to use that button.

When I started using a wheel over 8 years I always use chase cam, which allows me to see all of your car, and to know what is going on around me, but for 3 years I have been using the view of the bonnet.
Chase cam view I may have to use that view when I doing Sport Mode & Lobby Races.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. I’ve started reading the forum over the last month. I’m a New member here looking for some words of encouragement or perhaps some tough love to tell me what I suspect I already know.
I‘ve been wanting to get back into GT for a while now, I haven’t played since GT2 in the 90s, and still have PTSD from the Licenses in GT1! Anyway, I got myself a g29 and playseat and have been playing GTSport non stop all week - maybe 6 hours a day (off work at the moment). Thing is I don’t really feel like I‘m improving and I’m miles off the pace and getting a little frustrated and disheartened. For instance today I’m trying to do the Group Race B qualifying for literally four hours and I just can’t get better, I know what I need to do and watch the youtube guides and everything but I just can’t get the car to do it. I’m using the WRX as seems to be the car of choice and my best time is 1.25.3. 5 seconds off the top guys. And that was a bit of a fluke. I spin out more often than not. Sure, it’s only been a week but I feel like I have already plateaued at a useless level. I feel like my Dad when I was trying to teach him to play Sonic the Hedgehog and he couldn’t do something that was so easy for me to be able to do. Am I my Dad?!
More a stream of consciousness than a question but everyone here always seems so nice so hopefully you’ll be able to cheer me up.
Just to add, I’ve gold all the driving school and missions, and do the circuit experience for the tracks I’m on.
Thread has lost its point. My advice as someone who also took a 20 year break and struggled to get up to pace;

• Use the view you are comfortable using
  • use traction control if you need it, try to limit it to 2 max
  • AWD cars don't need tc
  • turn on the racing line
  • focus of brake reference points for each corner so lap after lap you hit the anchors at the same place
  • exits, exits, exits, ESPECIALLY with the wrx which is high grip, low powered compared to the front wheel drive cars
  • did i mention exits?
  • keep your nose clean, cede if you have to to avoid idiots in lower lobbies to get back to srs.

Once you have mastered the above, you really should be at DRB. From there, we get into subtleties like modulating your braking to avoid understeer on entry and how to induce a little slip to reduce understeer on exit, between the two this will raise your mid corner speed which i will assume is terrible right now.

My one concern is you are spinning the wrx, this grips like a cat on carpet, how are you inducing a spin?
That's pretty much it. I'd maybe also turn on the cones....but it's up to you. But the WRX is all about exit speed from corner. You shouldnt be spinning out in it though, its pretty hard to do in a 4wd car

My two cents....

1. Famine is usually pretty chilled... Must be hungry today.

2. Anyone on a race track who is not aware of what's happening behind him, is a danger to others, and therefore a bad driver... The sort of thing seen regularly is when Mr Blind fails to take a defensive line on a straight, only to finally see the overtaking car far to late (on radar) and weave quickly in an attempt to block (which he would subsequently claim is a "defensive line"). If you are aware of the approaching car, and have been monitoring his approach, you can either concede the position cleanly or if it's close to the end of the race you may chose to take a defensive line early on the straight in case he doesn't have enough pace for the full overtake. Both techniques are regularly seen in top level racing, but only if you are aware of what's going on around you... Good racers in GTS who use the roof cam, have practiced flicking quickly to the rear view at strategic positions to check the progress of cars behind. You can see that on the streamers feeds...

Be like the streamers... Be aware of your surroundings

Oh, and to the OP.... Id be happy to lobby if you would like a few tips... I'm definitely not the quickest racer, but I have spent a lot of time figuring out some of the key aspects in the learning curve, and have managed to get all diamonds on LHC and maintain A+/S for a while now, so maybe I can save you some time...

Last edited:
My two cents....

1. Famine is usually pretty chilled... Must be hungry today.

2. Anyone on a race track who is not aware of what's happening behind him, is a danger to others, and therefore a bad driver... The sort of thing seen regularly is when Mr Blind fails to take a defensive line on a straight, only to finally see the overtaking car far to late (on radar) and weave quickly in an attempt to block (which he would subsequently claim is a "defensive line"). If you are aware of the approaching car, and have been monitoring his approach, you can either concede the position cleanly or if it's close to the end of the race you may chose to take a defensive line early on the straight in case he doesn't have enough pace for the full overtake. Both techniques are regularly seen in top level racing, but only if you are aware of what's going on around you... Good racers in GTS who use the roof cam, have practiced flicking quickly to the rear view at strategic positions to check the progress of cars behind. You can see that on the streamers feeds...

Be like the streamers... Be aware of your surroundings

Oh, and to the OP.... Id be happy to lobby if you would like a few tips... I'm definitely not the quickest racer, but I have spent a lot of time figuring out some of the key aspects in the learning curve, and have managed to get all diamonds on LHC and maintain A+/S for a while now, so maybe I can save you some time...
But I have the information on my screen when I am using roof cam view, like blindside indicator and the map and having them on screen I know where the others cars are on the track. I like roof cam it has made me a good fast driver doing Lobby and Sport Mode races, and I have never had an issue using roof cam in Lobby and Sport Mode and I am telling the truth here.
If I was using Roof Cam without the blindside indicator and the map, well I be using another view like Chase cam which I am very good at as well.

CBH
But I have the information on my screen when I am using roof cam view, like blindside indicator and the map and having them on screen I know where the others cars are on the track. I like roof cam it has made me a good fast driver doing Lobby and Sport Mode races, and I have never had an issue using roof cam in Lobby and Sport Mode and I am telling the truth here.
If I was using Roof Cam without the blindside indicator and the map, well I be using another view like Chase cam which I am very good at as well.
What is "blindside indicator"?

What is "blindside indicator"?
Blindside indicators are a display on screen that lights up to indicate how close other cars are to the left and right sides of your car.

Edit: With no Blindside indicators display it will be to dangerous.

Last edited:
CBH
Blindside indicators are a display on screen that lights up to indicate how close other cars are to the left and right sides of your car.

Edit: With no Blindside indicators display it will be to dangerous.
If you mean the dark shadows that appear on the left and right of the screen, then you are in Bumper Cam view... This is the only view that displays "blindside indicators"; it also provides a mirror.

"Roof Cam" has none of these... You get a higher view of the track and can see the bonnet/hood of the car, but no mirror and no "blindside indicator", therefore the need to glance behind from time to time (or ignore everything and drive dangerously as discussed)

In Chase Cam you can see your entire car (from behind) but also has no mirror and "blindside indicator", and is equally as dangerous

I‘m just sitting here at work doing my Duty and reading this thread a bit to kill some time.
I just want to give my opinion about the driving View I use in GTS or actually in any racing Game I play.
So, my preferred View is religiously the Cockpit View. And to add to that I NEVER use the HUD.
This is my way of giving me the best possible immersion.
And I NEVER had any Problems with Accidents because some might say I’m in an disadvantageous View.
To me it’s the complete opposite.
I always know where the drivers around me are and have an excellent feel for spacial awareness.
I use L2/R2 for left/right peek. The in-Car rear view Mirror is excellent for always knowing who’s behind, how far he’s behind and how quickly someone is approaching.
All of that gives me an overall excellent feeling for what’s going on around me, and being able to correctly react to any incoming happenings.
Of course it very rarely happens that my Car slightly might touch the other Car while going closely side by side through Corners, 2 wide or even 3 wide, but I’d say as long as I keep my racing line and the other one too it’s absolutely no Problem driving super close AND super clean in that View.
It might be that Bonnet or Roof Cam are overall a tiny bit better for hitting apexes a little bit more precise, but I don’t play GTS or other Racing Games to be the fastest or best or whatever one might call it.
I play them for fun and immersion and like I said I never felt at disadvantage driving the Way I do.
I‘d even say that it tought me to be a much more cautious driver because it forces me to be completely focused and aware of my Surroundings at any time, and like I mentioned and described, it’s absolutely possible.
It’s like driving in real life imo.
But that’s just me.
Like I said Cockpit View and no HUD, try it…if I can, why shouldn’t you be able to do so.
At the end of the day it’s a game we have nothing to loose. Ok, maybe some Dr or Sr but that’s something I honestly never cared about.
Just enjoy the Game the way it feels best but always be open for something new 😉

I‘m just sitting here at work doing my Duty and reading this thread a bit to kill some time.
I just want to give my opinion about the driving View I use in GTS or actually in any racing Game I play.
So, my preferred View is religiously the Cockpit View. And to add to that I NEVER use the HUD.
This is my way of giving me the best possible immersion.
And I NEVER had any Problems with Accidents because some might say I’m in an disadvantageous View.
To me it’s the complete opposite.
I always know where the drivers around me are and have an excellent feel for spacial awareness.
I use L2/R2 for left/right peek. The in-Car rear view Mirror is excellent for always knowing who’s behind, how far he’s behind and how quickly someone is approaching.
All of that gives me an overall excellent feeling for what’s going on around me, and being able to correctly react to any incoming happenings.
Of course it very rarely happens that my Car slightly might touch the other Car while going closely side by side through Corners, 2 wide or even 3 wide, but I’d say as long as I keep my racing line and the other one too it’s absolutely no Problem driving super close AND super clean in that View.
It might be that Bonnet or Roof Cam are overall a tiny bit better for hitting apexes a little bit more precise, but I don’t play GTS or other Racing Games to be the fastest or best or whatever one might call it.
I play them for fun and immersion and like I said I never felt at disadvantage driving the Way I do.
I‘d even say that it tought me to be a much more cautious driver because it forces me to be completely focused and aware of my Surroundings at any time, and like I mentioned and described, it’s absolutely possible.
It’s like driving in real life imo.
But that’s just me.
Like I said Cockpit View and no HUD, try it…if I can, why shouldn’t you be able to do so.
At the end of the day it’s a game we have nothing to loose. Ok, maybe some Dr or Sr but that’s something I honestly never cared about.
Just enjoy the Game the way it feels best but always be open for something new 😉
Yes, all good... And you are obviously aware of the cars beside and behind you... e.g. "The in-Car rear view Mirror is excellent for always knowing who’s behind"...

The prickly point under discussion is from someone else's comment "In Daily or lobby races why should I look behind"

Anyway, we are off topic... OP wants to get faster and all views can be used, if used correctly... I've seen Wong Baguette in a Nations Cup final using Chase Cam :-0 It didn't go particularly well for him in that instance... I wonder why

Last edited:
The prickly point under discussion is from someone else's comment "In Daily or lobby races why should I look behind"
😅 yes i read that Comment too, it gave me a good laugh though it made me spit my precious Coffee on the Table, not cool.
But anyway that’s his opinion and if he drives like that, what am I supposed to do?!
It’s wrong and very brave/stupid to drive like that but ok, each to his own.
And Wong doing the Chase Cam Ninja, well, you said all…if you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk 😄

Last edited:
If you mean the dark shadows that appear on the left and right of the screen, then you are in Bumper Cam view... This is the only view that displays "blindside indicators"; it also provides a mirror.

"Roof Cam" has none of these... You get a higher view of the track and can see the bonnet/hood of the car, but no mirror and no "blindside indicator", therefore the need to glance behind from time to time (or ignore everything and drive dangerously as discussed)

In Chase Cam you can see your entire car (from behind) but also has no mirror and "blindside indicator", and is equally as dangerous
I don't know why I mentioned Blindside indicators in the first place and I am very sorry on that, but I don't need to glance behind when I am using roof cam, because I have no issues with other cars. Lobby & Sport Mode races are no problem for me using roof cam and not looking behind, I focus on what is ahead of me and not behind. The same goes with Chase cam I use it sometime, but again I don't look what is behind me using that view because of the map showing me where the other cars are.

Ok I thought the Blindside indicators where on screen in that view, again I am sorry I said that. But I would not say that Roof Cam & Chase Cam are both dangerous to have, because I don't have any issues using them both, even using the both in Sport Mode or Lobby races.

Edit: Roof and Chase cam are the best views for driving in the game, and like I said they are not dangerous to use.

Last edited:
CBH
I don't know why I mentioned Blindside indicators in the first place and I am very sorry on that, but I don't need to glance behind when I am using roof cam, because I have no issues with other cars. Lobby & Sport Mode races are no problem for me using roof cam and not looking behind, I focus on what is ahead of me and not behind. The same goes with Chase cam I use it sometime, but again I don't look what is behind me using that view because of the map showing me where the other cars are.

Ok I thought the Blindside indicators where on screen in that view, again I am sorry I said that. But I would not say that Roof Cam & Chase Cam are both dangerous to have, because I don't have any issues using them both, even using the both in Sport Mode or Lobby races.

Edit: Roof and Chase cam are the best views for driving in the game, and like I said they are not dangerous to use.
If you cut me off by changing lines during braking zones, I'll push you off the track. Many players will do the same. And no, you can't see the entire braking zone in the radar.
In real life you'd get penalties, or killed.

Back