First "wow" car you saw in your childhood..

  • Thread starter Thread starter TsukubaTrueno
  • 62 comments
  • 2,972 views
Another car I was amazed by was the B.M.W 750iL. Seriously. My dad was going to buy one time but it was a tad bit too much for his budget. He ended up buying a Mercedes C240.. I think.. I dont really remember. :/
When I saw that car, I fell in love with it! Since I was young, I always loved the 007 films and knowing that that car was in the film Tomorrow Never Dies(my fave) I went crazy! I was about 6 when I saw that car. It is still one of my favorite cars ever.. It's so.. awesome. :)
My dad was going to buy this exact same model. This picture is from the film "Tomorrow Never Dies".​
A1.jpg
 
The second car that made me go "OMFGWTFH4X:drool:" was a 1993 GMC Syclone. It belonged to my friend's dad, and one day we were following the truck in their other car, a Saturn SL2. There was a sports car at the light, and they raced to the next light. The truck disappeared. Man, that thing was cool. being all black with red pinstripes helped.

I remember the first time I saw a Typhoon, I think that was the sole reason why I got into S-Trucks in the first place. The Sy/Ty combo were some seriously sick trucks.
 
Probably a Ferrari 308GTB back in the late '70's
Or maybe my First '71 Grande Mustang.
Or maybe it was a 1962 Ford Thuderbird...
Of course, I lived 20 minutes from Laguna Seca as a teen.
Saw lots of interesting stuff when the annual historic races were being held.
Once saw THREE AC Cobras in convoy on the freeway, then a full "corral" of Shelby Mustangs, later that same night.
 
The first "wow" car I saw.

Back a long time ago, mid-90s, I saw a black Lamborghini Diablo parked in front a hotel. I absolutely drooled over it. It was so low, and so wide, and just absolutely fantastic looking. I still drool over any Diablo I see these days. Last time I saw one was a few months ago, saw a yellow Diablo GT.
 
I was driving from Colorado to Overland Park, KS on I-70 this summer, and I flipped out all day.

I thing it was the "One lap" event, they all were plastered with stickers

First, a bright yellow Carrera GT
Noble M400
Lotus Elise
Shelby GT500
Shelby GT500
Shelby GT500
Lotus Elise
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Geo Metro - :lol:
Ford F-150
And another GT500.

That was neat.
 
Dodge Viper ACR.
My uncle owns one, and he "jokes" around that he will teach me how to use a stick in it. I hope he isn't joking.
 
I got a ride in a Viper RT/10 when I was like 13. I was always obsessed with Vipers. I also was seriously always awe struck when I saw Preludes. I know that sounds kinda funny but its true. 👍
 
I got a Porsche 911 RSR race car when i was about 4 ( 1984 / 1985 ish )that was actually one of the transformers or the other non union version of them, i was enamored ever since with the shape of the 911's... and all things Porsche.
 
I was probably 8 at the time of my original love-at-first-sight car. I can't remember if my love was for the Dodge Viper first or the Nissan R33 GTR. But the GTR is perhaps my most vivid memory, for one of my father's business customers owned and (occasionally raced) a gunmetal grey/silver V-spec R33 example. It's hard to find pics of it, but undoubtedly looked like this.

0001.jpg




 
Ah good thread. The first day that I knew that cars were going to be a big part of my life was a summers day in England in 1986, when the owners of a local wine bar bought a red Ferrari 328 GTS and a black Corvette Coupe. They were parked next to each other and for an 8 year old boy looked absolutely stunning.

1986eq6.jpg


One of the most memorable times (and around the same time) was when I saw a Lamborghini Countach LP5000S parked front facing me in a car park in Switzerland. It was a fleeting glimpse (we were driving past at the time), but I remember exactly the scene. When I got back to England I bought the poster of the very same car and there it stayed for the next 10 years. Wish I could find that poster again, but here's a random white LP5000S anyway

1982%20White%20Countach%20LP500%20S%201121400%20(ebay)%20view%202.jpg
 
My dad's '69 Javelin SST390, probably. Also a yellow Diablo SV at local exotic dealer.
 
I can remember about 4-6 years ago I saw a Lamborghini Countach while I was on a bike ride. That car was the first car I can really remember seeing and going "WOW". Pretty much seeing any Lamborghini gets me like that. Second time I can really remember was only last year when I saw a Dodge Viper RT/10, the Viper was and still is my favorite car.
 
Lamborghini Countach: Responsible for the inspiration for tons of adolescents and pre-adolescents in the 1980s...

...Myself included.
 
I once saw an old Holden Monaro, didnt know the value of them. I was on my bike and i was like 5 years old and i tried to chase it down the street :lol:

And also a Lambo Countach :eek:
 
800px-Ferrari_F355.jpg


When i was 5/6, (the 355 btw:p)
 
The only car I was interested in when I was little = Porsche 911.
 
The farthest back I have any fleeting memory would be...

I would've been five or six, maybe. The location was the Long Beach Grand Prix, in the good 'ol days before the CART/Indy split. After a day of watching racing and checking out the exhibits with my dad, I thought it couldn't get any more awesome. Until I walked outside...

Right as we stepped out of the event gates, we heard a sound come around the corner, that sounded like thunder had just struck. As soon as it came into view, I knew exactly what it was: a brand-new, bright red, Ferrari F40. I still love that car to this day.

In recent memory, my wildest sighting, I suppose, is a bit odd. I live in Los Angeles, so exotics are nothing unusual, but the one that really got me was about two and a half years ago, seeing a TVR Tuscan Speed Six (or was it an S?) in flip-flop blue/green metallic. You UK guys won't get it, but to see one in the US is pretty insane, seeing as they're not officially imported, and, technically, are illegal. I also tend to get pretty excited over sightings of any JDM-only models, like Skylines or Cefiros.
 
Porsche 911 993 Turbo. I got to sit in one owned by a friend of my dads. It was just...wow.
 
-> When I was 5, my first 'wow' car was these:

Lamborghini Countach
lamborghini_countach4.jpg


Mitsubishi HSR-II concept
29008.jpg


Porsche 959 *I want this in my garage*
959_wp0_800.jpg


Other Notables
- Ferrari Testarossa
- Ferrari F40
- Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO VR-4
- Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 series

:)
 
Just today, I saw a Viper SRT10. It was all red and it was rained on. Boy, that looked so good. It was a convertible too. I was going to the Burger King drive-thru and all of a sudden when Im about to go in, I see this red SRT10 in the parking lot. I've never seen this car before irl. My eyes popped out, watching it from far away -I said to myself and to my sister who was driving "O_O Is that a SRT10?! Just go, go pas by it! Go!!" The car was standing still and the sound it makes is increible. My seat vibrated, LOL. So, here is a picture. I was not really impressed with the car until I saw it irl. ( I did not took this picture)
CIMG7846.JPG
​
 
i saw one just like that today too. except the top was down. it was beautiful.
 
One of the most memorable times (and around the same time) was when I saw a Lamborghini Countach LP5000S parked front facing me in a car park in Switzerland. It was a fleeting glimpse (we were driving past at the time), but I remember exactly the scene. When I got back to England I bought the poster of the very same car and there it stayed for the next 10 years. Wish I could find that poster again, but here's a random white LP5000S anyway

1982%20White%20Countach%20LP500%20S%201121400%20(ebay)%20view%202.jpg

Same with me! - a Swiss reg'd, white LP5000!! - i have a photo of me somewhere stood next to it in Puerto Banus.
 
I'm with The Vanishing Boy here ( hey, where did he go? :confused: ) - saw an amazing Porsche 959 at the UK Motor Show when I was a lad, but my favourite car (that used to adorn my wall in poster form for many years) was the Ferrari Testarossa, and I had loads of model Testarossas, including my 'personal' one, the black one...

tn2_1988%20Ferrari%20Testarossa%20black.JPG
 
An Enzo Ferrari at the 2003 Canadian International autoshow. I was 14 back then
 
Nissan 300ZX (Z32)

1990nissan300zx.JPG


I've also liked the Ferrari F355 Challenge and Lamborghini Countach.
 
Roo
800px-Diablobase.jpg


That car, in that colour, with that wing. I can still remember when I saw my first Diablo; it was on an Alpine sound system stand at a show; I think I was about 11 or 12. It had quite an effect.

Almost the same, in that colour too but mine was an SV.
 
From what I can remember, the first "wow" car I saw in the metal was...
3kgt1uj9.jpg

To a third-grader like myself that loved cars but knew little about them, the 3000GT looked like some exotic Italian car.

However, my first put-a-poster-of-it-on-your-bedroom-wall dream car was...
1139997385tt5.jpg
 
Back