FITT Car of the Month - March '14 - Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '02

Which categories would you like the next FITT Car of the Month to be selected from?

• Please select ONE of the TWO eras below...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Please select ONE of the THREE regions below...

• Please select ONE of the SIX car classes below...

• "Family Hauler" (S4, CL, Taurus, etc.)

• "Truck & SUV" (Ram, Midget, Evoque, etc.)

• "Other" (Write in a choice below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DigitalBaka

How hard can it be?
Premium
United States
IL, USA
DigitalBaka
DigitalBaka587
FITTCarOfTheMonth.jpg

82ea3e90e72b.jpg
Image by @MadMoss

This car should be easily accessible to everyone as it is a prize car for completing the International B License with all golds. Obviously it is also purchasable in the MB dealership. Everyone has it, almost nobody uses it that I have seen, even in GT5. Should be one of those underperformers that can be a real nice drive with a good tune. As I recall this can get some insane power numbers so it would be nice to see a variety of tune levels on this one.
What GT6 says:

Based on the fifth-generation SL released in 2001, Mercedes-Benz's tuning arm, AMG, produced this mother of all high-performance luxury convertibles with the SL 55 AMG. It shared the same powerplant with other AMG models designated with the number "55". Under the hood resided a supercharged 5.5-liter SOHC V8 that cranked out an awesome 493 HP at 6,100 rpm (up from the previous model's 469 HP) and 516.4 ft-lb of torque from 2,750 to 4,000 rpm. (Of not, it nearly matches the output of the SL 600, whose power and torque are rated at 493 HP and 590.2 ft-lb, respectively.) The powerplant comes mated to AMG's 5-speed automatic transmission called Speedshift, which features quicker up-and-down shifts than the base gearbox, especially in manual mode.

Unlike the SL 600, the SL 55 AMG power comes on immediately and flourishes in the upper rpm spectrum. It accelerated like a rocket and seemed to completely shed it 1,955 kg curb weight when the throttle pedal was floored. The car's handling is also sharper, thanks to AMG's tweaking of the ABC (Active Body Control). In the SL 55 AMG, it provided better stability, most notably through tight turns where rear traction and grip could be compromised.

The SL 55 AMG has indeed delighted the tastes of many who like the look and feel of a Mercedes-Benz convertible, but wanted supercar performance. Later on the even better SL 65 AMG was announced. This new high-performance monster goes beyond all imagination, which the specs being an unbelievable 603 HP maximum output an, with a maximum torque of 737.7 ft-lb.

Please post or link your tunes below. If possible please specify PP and tires used. Also be sure to vote for next month's car in the poll!

FITTTuneArchive.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Can i just confirm the car. you have it down as the Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '04 in the title. I have checked my garage and I have a SL 65 AMG (R230) '04 and a SL 55 AMG (R230) '02 car. Which car version is it that you want tunes for?

The one in the pic is the SL 55 AMG (R320) '02. I checked both in-game, and the 65 has 'SL 65 AMG' on the front license plate

No problem, I needed to know also so it worked out. I'm currently trying to tame this monster at 581PP on stock SH tires (699hp/ 1451kg)

No problem, I needed to know also so it worked out. I'm currently trying to tame this monster at 581PP on stock SH tires (699hp/ 1451kg)
That sounds like a big challenge! personally, id have gone for SM tyres as it would be easier to tame but I applaud your patience for SH tyres at that PP.

Hi, Can i just confirm the car. you have it down as the Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '04 in the title. I have checked my garage and I have a SL 65 AMG (R230) '04 and a SL 55 AMG (R230) '02 car. Which car version is it that you want tunes for?
Should be the SL 55 but I'll double check my garage as it's the only one I have. I would imagine tunes for both cars would be similar.

sl55Nürburgring Nordschleife__2.jpg

Car: Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '02
Wheel / Joypad: PS3 controller
Power: 550 BHP @ 6000 Rpm / 81.1 kgfm @ 2700 Rpm
Weight: 1451 kg
Performance Points: 550 PP
Tires: SH
Weight Distribution: 50:50
Custom Parts: Type A aero, Generic Wing Type A
Suspension : (Height-Adjustable, Fully-Customisable Suspension)

Ride Height:
Front: 90 mm Rear: 90 mm
Spring Rate: Front: 8.77 kg Rear: 9.08 kg
Dampers (Compression): Front: 4 Rear: 4
Dampers (Extension): Front: 5 Rear: 4
Anti-Roll Bars: Front: 4 Rear: 4
Camber Angle (-): Front: 0.0 Rear: 0.0
Toe Angle: Front: -0.03 Rear: 0.20
Brakes (Racing Upgrade): Front: 7 Rear: 7

Drivetrain: (Fully Customisable Transmission)

Set final to 5.500
Set max to 112
Set in sequence (1-2-3-4-5-6)
Set final to 3.365 (Final sets top speed)

Max Speed: 149 mph

1: 2.616
2: 1.864
3: 1.373
4: 1.061
5: 0.857

Final: 3.365

Differential Gear: Fully Customisable Mechanical Limited-Slip Diff

Initial Torque: 6
Acceleration Sensitivity: 18
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Clutch & Flywheel: Twin plate
Propeller Shaft: Carbon

Power

Oil Change:
Yes
Power Limiter: 100%
Engine Tuning: Standard
Computer: Sports
Exhaust: Standard
Exhaust Manifold: Standard
Catalytic Converter: Standard
Intake Tuning: Standard
Turbo Kit: Stage: Standard
Nitrous Oxide (N2O): No
Body

Body Rigidity Improvement:
No
Downforce: F = 0 R = 15
Weight Reduction: Stage 3
Bonnet: Carbon
Windows: Weight Reduction
Ballast: 0kg
Ballast position: 0

-MERCEDES-BENZ SL 55 AMG (r230) '02 600 PP S:S
IMG_0056_1_.JPG

-http://www.missil2064.com.br/index.php?pagina=1570753723_03
NOTE:
this mercedes-benz has a torque of respect so I went to the Swiss Alps to see how to master this machine my friends and pure adrenaline recommend to test this circuit (Eiger Nordwand - Short Track / Reverse) would be good for an event of FITT.
Too much power for this circuit but fun and there arm.:cheers:👍

I've done a tune for this car...

SL55 AMG '02

550PP
554BHP
1451KG
50:50 Weight dist.
Sports Hard tyres.

Parts fitted: Full custom suspension, full custom transmission, LSD, triple clutch, carbon shaft, sport computer, isometric exhaust manifold, sport cat., weight reduction stage3, carbon bonnet, window weight reduction.

Power limiter:98.5

Ride height: 95/95
Spring rate:10.00/11.19
Comp:4/4
Ext:4/4
ARB:4/4
Camber:0/0
Toe:0.00/0.15
Brakes:6/8
LSD:8/10/8

Transmission: Fit parts--final gear to 2.860--speed to 217mph--ratio's as below

1: 3.040
2: 1.972
3: 1.477
4: 1.185
5: 1.000

Final: 2.800

This car works really well on CS tyres and on sports tyres it could probably handle a lot more power. Check it out if you can!

Tuning this car is absolutely driving me crazy. Maybe I'll make a Brabus replica instead. For some reason I thought it was more well behaved in GT5.

Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '02

ronda-jpg.132305

Specs

PP: 550
HP: 550
Torque: 587 ft-lb
Weight: 1,456 kg
Tires: Sports Soft

Suspension
Ride Height: 90 | 90
Spring Rate: 11.26 | 11.67
Dampers (Comp.): 3 | 5
Dampers (Ext.): 6 | 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 | 4
Brakes (Racing): 7 | 6

Transmission (Fully Customizable)
Top Speed: 224mph
Final Gear Adjusted: 2.820 (adjust with each track)

Drivetrain
Differential Gear: 7 | 16 | 5
Clutch & Flywheel: Standard
Drive Shaft: Standard

Power
Limiter: 100%
Intake: Standard
Supercharger: Standard
Nitrous Oxide: Standard

Body
Hood: Standard
Windows: Window Weight Reduction

Comments:
After realizing I was tuning myself into a hole, I reset everything, tried one of my old base tunes, and hit that sweet spot pretty quickly. It only needed a few more minor tweaks to get it to my linking. Cheers.

Last edited:
XS
Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) '02

ronda-jpg.132305

Specs

PP: 550
HP: 550
Torque: 587 ft-lb
Weight: 1,456 kg

Suspension
Ride Height: 90 | 90
Spring Rate: 11.26 | 11.67
Dampers (Comp.): 3 | 5
Dampers (Ext.): 6 | 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 | 4
Brakes (Racing): 7 | 6

Transmission (Fully Customizable)
Final Gear Adjusted: 2.820 (adjust with each track)

Drivetrain
Differential Gear: 7 | 16 | 5
Clutch & Flywheel: Standard
Drive Shaft: Standard

Power
Limiter: 100%
Intake: Standard
Supercharger: Standard
Nitrous Oxide: Standard

Body
Hood: Standard
Windows: Window Weight Reduction

Comments:
After realizing I was tuning myself into a hole, I reset everything, tried one of my old base tunes, and hit that sweet spot pretty quickly. It only needed a few more minor tweaks to get it to my linking. Cheers.
You've forgotten to mention which tires you used bud

As we are getting to the end of the month it looks as though we'll be choosing a classic era euro compact or sports car... suggestions? There's plenty to choose from here.

I was hoping for a little car like that. 👍 We've done a couple big bad:censored:es, time to bring out a little cruiser. I'll setup for the Alfa.

The alfa is 100% better than in GT5. Very good fun little car, like the real one is.
Eiger is a nice track for it, 400PP CS is a bit slow ,even on this turny road.
It move very nice.

I remember driving this car around Costa di Amalfi in GT4 a lot. :)

The twistier the better with this car.

This beautiful little Italian came so close to winning Bathurst if not for wheel problems caused by painting the wheels. They got it right the following year but by then Ford had worked out how to make a V8 go 500 miles without falling in a heap.

Visual differences aside, I'm hoping to see replicas of the 1750, 2000 & GTAM versions of my favorite 60's Alfa.

Back