FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

Interesting take on the car. I personally thought it was fairly smooth and controlled if you stayed in rhythm with the track. Although I must admit recovering especially in certain portions is hard - but that's probably more due to the track :)

About my driving, well, I dunno if I'm "one of those drivers" but if you like I can supply you with a replay of my driving.

Nah, no need for a replay...maybe a meeting on the track if our schedules ever allow it. I can learn a lot more by following other drivers and putting pressure on them!:sly: I totally agree it is a rhythm car...I obviously couldn't get it in the 12 laps I ran it...

For those tuners who took on Matterhorn, I have the utmost respect for you. Fast or slow, it doesn't matter! I've been on the track for license events and maybe a seasonal, but nothing like this, and now I understand...

View attachment 124176
No explanation needed, really. I guess my "Hulk Smash" approach might need some finesse. But I think I know the problem...
View attachment 124177

I'm not going to say who's tune I was using for learning the track, but the right front tire isn't attached, it seems to lose rims, and the rear bar is puncturing the tire! And who says GT6 doesn't possess ground breaking graphics? Of course they probably weren't counting on complete morons like me!
But.....
View attachment 124178

Not a single headlight or window scratched or broken. I think due to this, I'm going to stop the testing for a couple of days and read a book on "How to Drive"....ok, maybe more than 1.
I don't think that is the kind of "ground breaking" we're talking about... :lol: Also, you made a mess. Go clean it up!

@Otaliema I like your results format. I may steal it if I can be bothered to put in that much effort. :cheers:

@seb15000 yeah I know it's only 495 but the stats match what I posted for the tune, maybe something is not translating in your game version.

@DigitalBaka go for it, just need to added the bb code for the bold and size the forums and Google docs take care of the rest.

SCCA Improved Touring Miata

Track: Apricot Hill (2.40mi)

Track Settings: Grip Reduction = Real

Driving Setup: DS3, D-pads, “X” throttle, square brake, & Automatic transmission

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5

Ridox2JGTE
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8RS (NB,J) '98
Time: 1:34.638
Drivers Choice: 7.0

The car was too tight for me from apex thru exit and had a high chance of locking up the brakes going into turn 1. I can only conclude that Ridox and I have 2 totally different driving styles/setups.:confused:

DolHaus
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800RS (NB,J) '00
Time: 1:34.235
Drivers Choice: 7.5

Snug going into the turns; was difficult finding the perfect line, but if you did manage to, the rotation thru the center was good. Sometimes a little too good, on the hard u-turn I could stop touching the d-pad and the car would still be turning. Feathering the brakes to avoid lock up is also key.

Krenkme
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800RS (NB,J) '00
Time: 1:33.938
Drivers Choice: 8.0

Almost the same feel as DolHaus except the rear was planted more on corner exit making it more comfortable. It took a lot of steering input at high speed before the rear would lose grip. Enjoyable ride....this "old cat" still has a few lives!:lol:

DaBomm4
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (NB,J) '04
Time: 1:32.649
Drivers Choice: 10.0

This car was amazing!! I remember, when driving this, trying to figure out if there was anything I could find wrong with the car...before I knew it I was already onto the next lap. This car would drive itself. Just a tad on the snug side overall, but that's probably down to me.:bowdown:

jtqmopar
Time: 1:33.714

Nothing really wrong with the setup. I thought it was pretty neutral, the only thing would be the Turbo. I don't think I'm getting everything out of it which hurts my time, but it was easy to drive.

Onboy123
Time: 1:32.727
Drivers Choice: 9.5

Onboy, Onboy, Onboy....your tune put me in a difficult position. It was so close between yours and DaBomm's. This tune is practically flawless, you could point the tires and the rest of the car would follow. It was very responsive. The only thing was, just a tad squirrelly on the heavy braking. That's it...Awesome Job!:bowdown:

ACSR421
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800RS (NB,J) '04
Time: 1:34.020

Only 2 small issues with this tune, loose under hard braking and would slide when transferring weight through the chicane. If the chicane is done perfectly, you can def. get a better time, but I struggled. Still a fast car and could do well on other tracks.

Bowtie-muscle
Time: 1:33.348
Drivers Choice: 8.5

Stable car. Has a chance to be a handful under hard braking as soon as you turn the wheel (or press the dpad), but other than that this car was pretty good. When going into "attack mode" you could actually feel and hear the car saying..."Ok now, that's enough!" And that would be the end of it. Nice Job!👍

Chipmonk77
Time: 1:33.968

This car slides around a bit, but nothing major or more than what you can control with throttle. The only thing was the chicane, it felt sluggish when shooting up the hill killing my speed leading up to the fastest part of the track.

Lionheart2113
Time: 1:33.351

Lots of tire squeel going through the turns. I thought it was because of me pushing the tires to the limit, which it kinda is, but scrubbing off speed costing tenths here and there. Stable, but over-adjusted to try and fix the loose off condition. And will always be a reminder to tune with Grip Reduction set to Real...what a jack-🤬

NEWDRIVER123
Tune: 1:33.929

Likes to push as soon as you turn the wheel and snug through the center. The slow reaction is what killed my time through the chicane. Just overall a little too tight for me, but still a good time.

shaunm80
Tune: 1:34.924

This tune isn't too bad. And for being 55kg too fat, it handled pretty well. Standard issues, little tight coming into the turn and can be loose on exit. The only thing I noticed was the long 2nd & 3rd gear. I'm not sure what it does for manual users, but it slaughtered my time because it remained at mid RPM's throughout most of the lap.

ugabugaz
Tune: 1:33.739

The front end was confusing to me. Under heavy braking the front would lose grip and the back end was screaming "Go, Go, Go!" but on decel (coasting) the front would turn on a dime (sometimes too good) leaving the rear end to play catch up. Running around at 90% was good for me, because there are too many chances for error when in 100% attack mode. A setup for those pros who can hit their marks lap after lap without fail. Congrats on your sub 1:33, ugabugaz, you must be one of those driver

My tune isnt included on this

FITT Rules..........
Driver's choice scale:
10.0 among the best tunes you have driven in GT6
7 to 9 a great tune that could be a little faster if...
4 to 6 a good tune that needs a few adjustments to become a contender
Under 4 a tune that needs work (please be specific with feedback with any tunes listed here)

Hami, Am I wrong if I rate a car a DC 6 even though it suits my driving style PERFECTLY? I LOVE the tune because I can slide it around, turn it with the brakes and throttle, but I found it to be midpack in laptime, difficult to drive fast and it required a longer learning curve than the other cars. Does that make sense or am I smokin' something?

Hami, Am I wrong if I rate a car a DC 6 even though it suits my driving style PERFECTLY? I LOVE the tune because I can slide it around, turn it with the brakes and throttle, but I found it to be midpack in laptime, difficult to drive and requires a longer learning curve than the other cars. Does that make sense or am I smokin' something?
Driver's Choice = rating the car based on how it felt to YOU. You can rate the fastest car low or vice versa if you don't like how it handles for you. Loose is fast, but some setups don't play well with me, so they get a slightly lower score. I love DC because it's all about your opinion. Just a low score might require some explaining....which everyone seems to take really well.

Edit: 1 example is my rating for backnfourth's tune in the Spec Miata. It wasn't the fastest car, but it got a higher DC because that tune was comfy for me!👍

Last edited:
Hami, Am I wrong if I rate a car a DC 6 even though it suits my driving style PERFECTLY? I LOVE the tune because I can slide it around, turn it with the brakes and throttle, but I found it to be midpack in laptime, difficult to drive fast and it required a longer learning curve than the other cars. Does that make sense or am I smokin' something?

Driver's Choice = rating the car based on how it felt to YOU. You can rate the fastest car low or vice versa if you don't like how it handles for you. Loose is fast, but some setups don't play well with me, so they get a slightly lower score. I love DC because it's all about your opinion. Just a low score might require some explaining....which everyone seems to take really well.

Exactly right. Driver's Choice is up to you. Which did you enjoy the most.

Improved Touring score sheet is now available. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ge-let-the-testing-begin.303511/#post-9366694

Current leaders:

Lap Time
DaBomm4
Onboy123
Lionheart2113

Driver's Choice
DaBomm4
Onboy123, Bowtie-muscle and NEWDRIVER tie

Second category (DC) shows nascarmaniac, but I think you mean otaliema....
I think Onboy and DaBomm are going to fight to the bitter end in this category! What are the chances that their average lap time is exactly the same after 3 testers....?

Last edited:
I will have to pull out of the Roadster portion of the competition. Unfortunately I didn't know what flat floors did, and I certainly had no idea they affected PP Ratings. As such, I don't feel my car has any chance of being competitive. I'll adjust the tune with new power and transmission settings, for testers who may be curious and still wish to unofficially test it.

Last edited:
Results Roadster Touring Car Silverstone:
much very nice with lots of tuning 👍
it was a real pleasure !!!

no aid, ABS, 1 manual, DS3

13058072395_c3965c8338_b.jpg

and the video of Laps SETUP Praiano63:

Last edited:
@seb15000 I am just wondering if you will be giving either of the test groups Driver's Choice ratings?
Just a reminder of the guidelines for Driver's choice scoring.

Driver's choice - Each tester will score each tune on the scale listed below. Driver's choice scores will then be averaged across all testers. The maximum number of DC points that can be earned is ten points. Please choose driver's choice on a scale of 0.0 to 10.0.

Driver's choice scale:
10.0 among the best tunes you have driven in GT6
7 to 9 a great tune that could be a little faster if...
4 to 6 a good tune that needs a few adjustments to become a contender
Under 4 a tune that needs work (please be specific with feedback with any tunes listed here)
Here is how you can rate them.

@seb15000 I am just wondering if you will be giving either of the test groups Driver's Choice ratings?

Here is how you can rate them.

yes it's true I do not give notes Driver's Choice, is it a requirement ??
tell the truth ... I do not like to vote, the results speak for themselves, non !??
but ... if the settlement :rolleyes:

yes it's true I do not give notes Driver's Choice, is it a requirement ??
tell the truth ... I do not like to vote, the results speak for themselves, non !??
but ... if the settlement :rolleyes:

A DC helps with people reading your results - what you can't say in words a number will suffice.

For example, I cannot tell if you found my car fast or slow from your comment alone - but a DC would help me figure out if you liked the car or if it was just faster than the others.

And on another note I shall not be testing the Roadster RS (NC) '07's at Rotenboden. I'm sorry everyone but I'd rather run over hot coals with no shoes on than do that.

Results Roadster Touring Car Silverstone :
again a very nice lot with great tuning 👍
it was a real pleasure !!!
no aids, ABS 1, manual, DS3
12978390075_785680b235_b.jpg

and the video of Laps Setup Praiano63 :

[/quote
their conclusions deserve great applause, very good video, shows that car beachy in this play (on the floor) congratulate beautiful work.

-their conclusions deserve great applause, very good video, shows that this car praiano63 in play (on the floor) congratulate beautiful work..:cheers::gtpflag:

And on another note I shall not be testing the Roadster RS (NC) '07's at Rotenboden. I'm sorry everyone but I'd rather run over hot coals with no shoes on than do that.[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I gave it a good 5 minutes before I decided it was too much, so I'm glad I did that rather than rule it out entirely.

As a wheel user it's a much more physical process. I'm not just pressing buttons (no offence to you DS3'ers) so I don't plan on pulling a muscle.

I understand that, the track is demanding even on a controller, I logged close to 1km testing on the track. And I can say that my hands hurt after each play session due to the track, its one of the only tracks that is this demanding. You might try a few laps with your FF turned down to a min setting or even off, I knew this kills the experience if the drive but might let you test a few cars a day.

I gave it a good 5 minutes before I decided it was too much, so I'm glad I did that rather than rule it out entirely.

As a wheel user it's a much more physical process. I'm not just pressing buttons (no offence to you DS3'ers) so I don't plan on pulling a muscle.

I can't imagine driving it with a wheel and using a manual transmission. I'd probably lose a few pounds.

I'm nearly finished testing the "Roadsters at the Rotenboden Roller Coaster" class and it has been an adventure. All the cars flipping, rolling, spinning. I never thought I'd spend so much time on 2 wheels and I definitely never thought I'd get completely airborne and feel like I'd just been shot out of a cannon. I will say as frustrating as it has been at times, I've had some truly awesome and fun moments that make me want more of it. The jumps at Eiger and Cape Ring just seem dull compared to the times I've gotten completely airborne and landed that blind downhill left turn and then slammed on the brakes praying I'll be able to stop in time to make that tight left turn at the bottom of the hill.

Results will be posted in the next couple days. And props to all you tuners

How many turns of lock do you have to use to get it into the tightest bends? I've never used a wheel in GT so I don't know what they're like.
Rotenboden was difficult at first but I began to enjoy it after about 300km of testing, a tricky one to learn and even harder to master. So many parts of that track require absolute precision and don't take any prisoners, you're never more than a wheel over the curb away from a costly crash.
The testing will throw up some funny results due to the unforgiving nature of the track, there will always be an element of lap time progression the longer a tester spends there. The effect will be quite pronounced when dealing with such similar cars and therefore tuners shouldn't be too disheartened if their car isn't lapping as well as they think it should, just luck of the draw really.
Massive thanks to the testers for their continuing work and the effort everyone is putting in

Back