FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

SCCA Spec Miata

bread82 MX-5 J-Limited (NA, J) '91
DC 9.4

This tune has touch of instability under braking followed by a loose entry. You can use this to your advantage if you hit your turn in point spot on. But, there will be no corrections in late corner entry if you miss. Once you turn in, you are committed. This condition is probably ok for a time trial where you are looking for one hot lap, but for racing, I would want the entry calmed down a bit.

Suggestions: Add some LSD decel and try brake balance higher front than rear.

Thanks for the feedback Hami, much appreciated. You pretty much summed up my driving style for this event, in an effort to find more speed I was trail braking, chucking the car in and trying to get on the gas as early as possible! Hence it is quite loose on entry, and I think some people commented on mid corner understeer, which was probably my effort to set the car to be stable under throttle when gassing it early.

I've looked at your tune and noticed you're running stiffer rear springs and ARB, I'm guessing to reduce understeer. My question is, when would you decide to use just stiffer springs or just stiffer ARB, or as you have done here, a combination of both? I set my miata up with stiffer rear springs but stiffer front ARB - it seemed to me that the springs affected corner entry more, and the ARB's worked more for mid corner. What I was aiming for was rotation on entry and then stability mid corner. I was worried about the springs also making the car oversteer on exit, but found I didn't have that problem for some reason (maybe just due to the lowish power).

As far as I know, IRL springs would affect entry, exit, and mid corner since they are used in both pitch and roll. ARBs are roll only so would come into play more in mid corner? Do you find this is true in GT6?

Cheers,

Bread

=== Warning ===
=== Warning ===

Contents highly unstable!

=== Warning ===
=== Warning ===

I became obsessed with this build. I couldn't drive anything else till I was done. I think I may have overdone it and tuned it too far, making it undrivable by anyone besides me. I used SH tyres to tune it and didn't switch to SM till the tune was complete. I hope that strategy worked. The only part I adjusted after upgrading the tyres was Racing Brakes.
My best time on SH tyres was:1:44.551.
My best time on SM tyres was: 1:41.887.

My entry for the GTP FITT Miata tuning challenge: Street Tuning Class
Settings:
All aids off, ABS 1
Grip: Real
Controller: DFGT
FFB: 7
Controller Sensitivity: Irrelevant!
Offline, Arcade Mode, Time Trial

SM tyres
Ride Height 130 / 126
Springs 5.95 / 6.10
Dampers 4/4 // 2/2
ARB 5 / 5
Camber 0.0 / 0.0
Toe -0.01 / +0.08
Brake Balance 10 / 8

Transmission:
Final full right, top speed full left, then:
1: 2.605
2: 1.975
3: 1.580
4: 1.330
5: 1.145
6: 0.999
F: 3.900

LSD: 8/16/19

Full Suspension
Racing Brakes
Full Transmission
Full LSD
3 plate clutch
Carbon driveshaft
99.6% PL
Stage 1 Engine Tuning
Sports Computer
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Stage 3 Wt Reduction
Carbon Hood
Window Weight Reduction

Distance driven: 1,055.9 miles
PP: 450
Max HP: 233 @ 7,200
Max Tq: 179.4 @ 5,700
Drive train/asperation: FR/NA
Weight: 920kg, 52/48
Power to weight ratio: 3.94

Here is a track / car guide:
(Feel free to ignore it or comment on anything)

Downshift into 4th just before the apex of the first corner, then 3rd in the middle of the chicane. Get the outside wheel on the curbing on both corners. Stay to the left after cresting corner two, you don't want to be on the inside of corner three.
For the followup chicane, miss the curbing on the first corner (corner three of the complex) but cut as close as you can on the second corner.
Braking isn't needed on the first complex! Let the cars' suspension do the work. All the control you need can be done by throttle.

Now your on a short straight into the top of the hill U turn. There is a bump just at the start of the mid corner, if you stay outside and aim in towards the apex you'll miss the bump and hit a good late apexing line for the exit. Don't start braking till after the white edging ends. Once you start to brake, don't waiver, also don't get on the gas then the brake again. A good line must be a smooth down then up on the brake followed by an equally smooth throttle application, but I increase the throttle in bits as the corner dynamics change.

Now your going downhill.
At the first right kink into a left corner brake at the white edging, throttle before the start of the left corner (you gotta get the weight back). Keep pushing the front of the car inwards to combat the natural understeer till you hit the uncoiling point.
On the next corner, a long right hander, a slight throttle lift off might be necessary to nose in, but once the car has the correct attitude, throttle, push the nose. Apex late, the corner isn't as consistent as it might first appear.
Still going downhill.

Next up is CoMA, corner of many arrows. Two things need to be remembered for this corner:
First, don't try to get on the outside of the left turning corner by getting on the inside curbing of the right kink. Ignore the kink, go down the track slightly right (aim for the blind spot, :) ).
Second, don't brake, but don't full throttle through either. When you hit the inside curbing on the kink (which is the outside curbing for the next corner) go down to a coasting throttle, enough to keep the weight back but not enough to $©&@W you up. This throttle will keep the car stabilized before the braking zone.
As soon as the car reaches the dark patch on the right hand side BRAKE! Try to let off at the end gently, or the BLOR (brake lift off rotation) will have you pounding the wheel, staring the wrong way on the track. It would be best to complete the braking completely before the start of the corner, then throttle through. Staying on the outside of the entry is ideal, the inside cups and disturbs the car too much. At mid corner the car is parallel with the bottom of the corner curbing (the U corner is flat on the bottom) and you should be up against it as you climb the exit of the corner.

Now the technical section.
Just about every corner here should be taken the same way: brake way early and accelerate through. In order to get the fastest line on the sharpest corners you will need to aim inside the apex and let the car slip out under throttle as you power past the apex. Make the braking and throttle motions consistent and don't waiver.
On the last corner before the uphill sprint, don't let the back slip.

I have my tuning notes saved if anyone is interested but its a wall of text that would crush the Hulk so I won't post it unless asked.
u have any nascar Daytona online setups?

Back