FJR1300 'ring

• Thread starter wfooshee
  • 5 comments

wfooshee

Rather ride my FJR
Premium
United States
Panama City, FL
Along the line's of Hun200kph's "My bike" thread here, I've posted a video of me riding "my" FJR1300 at the 'ring.

Even though only one letter is different in the bike models (FJR1300, XJR1300) they are COMPLETELY different bikes, nothing at all in common.

I built my vid by stacking 5 replays of the same run in my editing suite and switching between them to give the feel of a live show. The replays were the regular external view, both with and without the onscreen info, the handlebar view, also with and without the onscreen info, and lastly, the dive replay.

There are several places I should have crashed and died, but maybe it's not really so bad to climb a curb at full lean. (I've had trouble with thick paint stripes in real life! :scared:)

A warning for video dudes wanting to try this. The replays were NOT perfectly synced with each other. Every minute or two I'd have to cut a frame or two from one of the tracks to bring it back in line with the others, using the on-screen timer as my guide. Very tedious. On a regular-length track it wouldn't be a problem, but by the time 8 and a half minutes have elapsed, you'll find the tracks as far apart as a full second!

Very impressive video and very impressive riding, Mr. Fooshee. Coincidentally, I had my first drive on TT for ages just last night, and took a similar machine around the Nurb - forgetting just how much harder it is to pull off a quick, clean lap on TT than it is on GT4... it was quite embarrassing! However, this video is masterclass in both vid production and TT riding. Bravo :cheers:

Great video, wfooshee, I just don't know how to edit replays, so mine is just the regular one.

Indeed the FJR and the XJR are very different bikes. The XJR uses the oil-cooled engine of the old FJ 1200, (with a few more cm3 added to it), and the FJR has a water-cooled new engine.

Besides the XJR, I am the proud owner of a 20 years old FJ 1200, with over 100.000 kms, a bike that carried me - and my wife - through most of western Europe but, since we had our kids, traveling in a bike became very rare. So, all things considered, I opted for a naked bike, and I couldn't think of a better one than the XJR. I knew the engine and its reliability, and I am very pleased with the bike (brakes, suspension, stability, confort).

When my kids get older (and the oldest gets a driver's license) I'll return to a sports-grand tourer, like my old FJ was/is. Maybe the FJR (2015 model :dopey: ).

btw, after seing your vid I tried to make the Nurb last night with the FJR (against the ghost of "my" XJR") and I found it almost impossible to make a clean lap under 8 minutes. The top speed is greater, but the bike is much heavier and in the twisty part of the circuit it's very difficult to follow the XJR.

So, my hat's off to you, wfooshee. Great driving!

You can see it viewing photos of those two bikes. The FJ engine is painted in black and partially covered, but otherwise you can clearly see it's the same engine the XJR has.

2006_XJR1300_Color_Galaxy-Blue_tcm26-87200.jpg

fj1200_1986.jpg

Back