Flawed?

Terronium-12

For My Mom, Always
United States
Brooklyn, NY
KR_Viper
I Renown I
I've been lurking over at the FM.net forums for the past few weeks and I've noticed that there are a lot of complaints about the game over there. Whether it be the excessive (and very much unnecessary) lag during loading vinyls and pictures, the stuttering during the ghost saves after a race, to the very much sub-par interior design with inoperable dashboard clusters. A good deal of them feel the game was rushed, or at the very least pressured into being released early due to the then rumors of GT5 being released either this month or next (I forget what the card stated) and as a result some features were left out, removed, or just plainly ass-raped. Some are considering FM3 to be either a big patch for FM2, or just FM2.5. The transition doesn't seem significant enough to be considered an entirely new game. Hell, you can even find quite a few that now understand why Polyphony Digital seems to take their sweet ass time with their products. The AWD domination is a big issue and it's annoyed some to the point where they've sold the game.

Before I go onto a rant about my findings as of recent and my own feelings about the game, I'll end by saying this isn't a thread with the intention of flaming FM3 as I've established I feel it's the best one to date, which is kind of ironic seeing as everyone else seems to dislike it for one reason or another. :lol:

In any case, I'm curious if any of "us" feel the same way about the problems the game has been having...

I don't do much with the livery myself, but fixing the stuttering during the ghost saves is as easy as deleting them.

Only other problem I've encountered is that when you buy two vinyls with the same name, the first is overwritten by the second, and then you're told that the second is corrupted when you try using it.

I don't do much with the livery myself, but fixing the stuttering during the ghost saves is as easy as deleting them.

Actually, that doesn't do a thing. Or at least it hasn't for me. :dunce:

EDIT: How the hell did I leave the AI out? The AI is horrifically retarded in FM3.

Horrifically. Retarded.

EDIT: How the hell did I leave the AI out? The AI is horrifically retarded in FM3.

Horrifically. Retarded.

Actually the AI is perfect.

A perfect simulation of the retards I share the road with here in NM. :dunce:

How about the money glitch that made it from forza 2, and therefore the 3 unicorn cars sell for hundreds of millions of credits.

I was going over that in my head the other day. I don't understand how the same glitch spans across two different games. I've always found the unicorn cars to be a waste as they should just be in the full roster. I'm not paying something to the effect of 250 million credits for a car that's not even worth 50,000 credits. Whatever the UC's are in this one I won't be owning them...

The R classes are all messed up, as well.

If the Viper GTS-R is classified as an R3 car, so should the Corvette C5R, because those two were going head to head back in the day... Yet the C5R is classed as an R2. Why do the newer SuperGT cars (GT-R, SC430) have better PI ratings than say, the DBR9 or C6R, which are faster in real life on every single aspect? Why are the 911 GT1 and R390 considered R2 when the TS020 GT-One and BMW V12LMR that raced against them back in the day are considered R1?

It's very frustrating.

I was going over that in my head the other day. I don't understand how the same glitch spans across two different games. I've always found the unicorn cars to be a waste as they should just be in the full roster. I'm not paying something to the effect of 250 million credits for a car that's not even worth 50,000 credits. Whatever the UC's are in this one I won't be owning them...

Other than that it's still an OK game to pass the time until next year.
It's a very fun game to drive with the H shifter and clutch at least in season mode.
Also I didn't like the online play at the moment so I don't use that feature even though I bought a 12 month gold card just for online play.

I said it in another thread but I'll say it again here. It strikes me that Forza 3 is the kind of game designed by a committee around a big table in a boardroom. It doesn't really demonstrate that too much love or passion went into the game, it's often the way with sequels to popular computer games, movies, albums etc. The list of things that irritate me is ever-growing but at the end of the day it's still a very enjoyable game, but it does feel to me like Forza 2.5 rather than Forza 3 and that it was rushed into production. Although I don't have a PS3 and (while I did play them to death) was a little disappointed with all the GT's after GT2 I absolutely hope that the love and passion for motoring will be present in GT5 and that that is why it's taking so long to come out. In the meantime FM3 is still a worthy game to be playing for the time being.

Why do the newer SuperGT cars (GT-R, SC430) have better PI ratings than say, the DBR9 or C6R, which are faster in real life on every single aspect?
Really?

Sure the GT cars have a 50-75hp advantage, but the SuperGT don't have heavily-restricted aerodynamics; leading to epic amounts of downforce, so I'd wager that they'd blow most other tin tops off the track round the bends.

That, and remember that several FIA GT teams have attempted to take cars that did well in Europe to Japan over to Japan...and failed miserably.

But, if you have a good comparison, I'd like to see it.

As for Forza, remember it is still on the 360, to from a technical standpoint they can't do TOO much with a newer version, just like GT2 and GT4 on the PS1 and PS2 respectively. As for gameplay, yes the AI are about as smart as a roo, and just as dangerous, or rather, they would be if the damage was up to scratch (though I'm not a fan of damage in racing sims, it's a waste of good processing power, and you have to sacrifice A LOT to get it even to the level it is in F3). Many of the small niggling problems should be solved in a patch, I believe that most of them are just the result of not enough testing time, as they don't seem big enough to require the programming time that would have sent the release date back a week or so.

Beyond that, it probably isn't too far off what T10 wanted it to be. Whether that's good enough for dedicated racing game fans is another thing entirely, but for some reason I doubt they were the primary target audience...

It will definitely tide me over until next year and then some, I'm not taking anything away from the game other than the seemingly long list of problems that have been noticed. One particular one that comes to mind is the inability to officially paint over chrome wheels, or the brakes being very much ineffective.

Beyond that, it probably isn't too far off what T10 wanted it to be. Whether that's good enough for dedicated racing game fans is another thing entirely, but for some reason I doubt they were the primary target audience...

We weren't. Casual gamers were and this seems to be the current merry-go-round with games today: "Let's flip off the loyal to some extent and let's try our absolute best to recruit new player by making the game easier!" I've said it before and I'll say it again...you will never experience this with a computer game because of the community revolving around it, and if for some reason a game is made easier than it should you can bet your bottom dollar a modder is going to alleviate that problem within that very first week or month.

Last edited:
Actually, that doesn't do a thing. Or at least it hasn't for me. :dunce:

Horrifically. Retarded.

Well, it seems to work as a temporary solution for me. Though in a good day's worth of play, the ghost file will become bloated again.

But yeah, the AI isn't all that great. The easy setting for the AI is pretty amusing though... intentionally hang behind in 2nd place, and eventually the driver in 1st place will inevitably screw up horrendously.

I've been reading the feedback on fm.net too. As you say, very negative. I understand where they're coming from. Another one is the button mapping. Its really limited but with FM2 and GT5P you can pretty much map how you want.

But with all the faults and strange decisions I'm still enjoying the game. I just can't wait for the Fanatec wheel to arrive. I really like just driving, so many of these faults don't affect me too much.

I did expect a real complete game considering FM2 is already on the 360 and the whole Forza3 vs GT5. I don't go off reviews but watch and read them to see how they see things, from insidesimracing to IGN the praise was very high and seemingly a total opposite take compared to many dedicated Forza fans. I think a lot will be patched and they'll give in to public rooms.

The only thing that really bugs me is the Audi domination (and to a lesser extend, AWD domination).

The R classes are all messed up, as well.

If the Viper GTS-R is classified as an R3 car, so should the Corvette C5R, because those two were going head to head back in the day... Yet the C5R is classed as an R2. Why do the newer SuperGT cars (GT-R, SC430) have better PI ratings than say, the DBR9 or C6R, which are faster in real life on every single aspect? Why are the 911 GT1 and R390 considered R2 when the TS020 GT-One and BMW V12LMR that raced against them back in the day are considered R1?

It's very frustrating.

The R3 Vipers are GT2 class, not the GT1 class that the C5R would've raced. Just like there are R3 Corvettes (Z06.R). I can't comment on the ALMS GT v. SuperGT cars...But like somebody said, the SuperGT cars look nothing like the production car they represent and likely blow away the ALMS class cars in downforce and grip. The R390 GT1 has been one of the slowest prototypes in every GT game...I wasn't surprised that it was outclassed here.

Do we have any real world laptimes to compare any of these?

The game has a formula to calculate PI. If they're using accurate data, the PI should be accurate to go by.

The game has a formula to calculate PI. If they're using accurate data, the PI should be accurate to go by.

No, almost every game can have accurate data, but you need a GOOD FORMULA to calculate a PI that's worth a damn.

Accurate data is useless if the calculations are as reliable as a 360.

When somebody uses GT formula for a game some will think it will mean GT quality. Forza seems like nice game but many things are not done with care and realism.

Coming from only having played GT4, but played it a ton, Forza 3 is fine, but it just doesn't hook me as much as GT4 did. Can't put my finger on it though. I will say the photomode and compression just lacks so much i'm hard pressed to want to even go in there and snap shots. As much as I love taking photos (almost more than racing itself), it seems like for the most part every shot in forza 3 has already been taken. Thats why I really appreciate GT4s photomode where you can take pictures from replay angles and adjust from there. Just nit picking though. It will due until I get a PS3 and GT5.

...And now I can't get to my photos due to the following "error" message: "We've encountered an error while processing your request. Please try again." :odd:

I'm curious. What's wrong with the AI? It have always been praised by being dynamic and more "alive" and everything.

I'm curious. What's wrong with the AI? It have always been praised by being dynamic and more "alive" and everything.

Let's see, this is just a list without going into detail...

- Far too aggressive, borderline retarded
- Spend way too much time braking (it seems the AI favors "brake checking" as opposed to solid braking)
- The AI will ram and/or perform the pit maneuver on you because they see nothing but their "racing line".
- The AI has the tendency to align themselves up as borders/obstacles around you (if the track is congested or wide enough) and will proceed to play bumper cars/demolition derby even for the 8th spot on the pole.
- They can crash and/or rollover and continue to race (and finish in a podium position if there's enough time left) as if nothing ever happened.
- There's the tendency to brake when they don't need to whatsoever, again, alluding to "brake checking".

That's all I've got in mind at the moment.

So much for good AI then =/

Looks like rewind got them lazy with the AI. I mean, you can have a poor AI since the players can just rewind if the AI screw up with their race.

I would say so. Which is why I wouldn't recommend playing it on hard difficulty as their mannerisms become even more defensive/offensive, the setting itself isn't hard at all...it's the AI where the problem lies...

I was considering buying an Xbox360 for this game but I'm glad I waited for the hype to go away and the problems begin to appear. I'm sure its a good game despite being rushed but it's just not worth buying a system for it.

I don't think any system is worth buying over the consideration of a single title, unless it's a handheld. The 360 does have a lot of good going for it but it's often overshadowed by the bad.

i was considering buying an xbox360 for this game but i'm glad i waited for the hype to go away and the problems begin to appear. I'm sure its a good game despite being rushed but it's just not worth buying a system for it.

+1

I don't think any system is worth buying over the consideration of a single title, unless it's a handheld. The 360 does have a lot of good going for it but it's often overshadowed by the bad.

I have a gaming PC and that's why I never bought a 360. There are just a few shooters I never cared about, some RPGs, and now F3. Not that appealing to me.

Although I agree that most games are not worth buying a system for, I have to say that MSG4 alone made it more than worth it buying a PS3.

I have a gaming PC and that's why I never bought a 360. There are just a few shooters I never cared about, some RPGs, and now F3. Not that appealing to me.

Although I agree that most games are not worth buying a system for, I have to say that MSG4 alone made it more than worth it buying a PS3.

Too true. I brought my PS3 for both MGS4 and Prologue (and of course GT5) and I've been after inFamous and a couple of other games since. I keep buying games for the 360 and PC though. :P

the one thing I hate about the AI is the way they dive into the corner weither or not they have a chance of pulling off the pass or not.
It seems to me that Turn 10 took alot of notes when Grid came out. I see many similarities between them. I liked the AI better in FM2, they were a bit more predictable, now they are just a bunch of bashers. I also dislike how they go 2 or 3 wide all the time. It would be nice if they had moer of a professional drive type mentality rather than a 16 year old's.
Even with all the flaws I still manage to play it for an hour or two a night. it is a fun game but not what most people were expecting.

Seems FM.net is a POS now.

Does anyone manage that website or does it just sit there with moderators locking threads when they're criticized? :odd:

Back