FM 4: Under the Hood Part 3 Discussions

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 100 comments
Well that's another good UnderTheHood..

I'm really pleased the Photo compression/size has been addressed,

And I couldn't be happier that no matter how/why/where the previous wheel assists manifested themselves, there will be no complaints this time.. We can just concentrate on the actual physics this time, not how much/little any steering wheel 'wobble' is affecting things!

Even the AI sounds well thought out, auto-upgrading, 20 dynamic levels, work done on making them more aware, designed to give even 'easy' mode drivers a challenge.. I'd like to see this in action now, just to see if it's actually any good, I've never seen decent AI in any game, no matter how much devs talk it up!

Of course, the things I really want to know is about any enhancements to help organised racing.. e.g. Qualifying etc.

No tuning is lobbies is the only downside for me in the whole article. I know a whole load of guys from tuning garages who are not going to be happy about that.

For me the greatest bit of news is the 'big shot' photos. FM has never been able to show it's self off to it's potential because of the horrible compression. Now the improved visuals will look even better when taken out of the game.

Does Localized damage mean a damage system like GTA IV, where If you hit a pole, the area that you hit the pole will get damaged more then the other areas of the car from impact?

Does Localized damage mean a damage system like GTA IV, where If you hit a pole, the area that you hit the pole will get damaged more then the other areas of the car from impact?

Yep. It would be even better if manufacturers allowed in-game simulation of crumple zones. :drool:

Like, in Burnout Paradise. Of course that's a completely different story...but you see my point.

Yeah I took it to mean that the damage will be centred around the area of contact rather than just a generic damaged look to the general area.

Pretty much everything they released in that article has me on edge, bursting with anticipation. The customisation sounds so much better. The chance to spoiler delete is great. Hopefully when they say select cars they literally mean ones with a spoiler in the first place and not just say Impreza and Evos. The headlamp covers is pretty sweet too. Will look good on E-Types and KPGC10s for example. Bumper delete for classics is just too cool for school and OEM styling? Heck yes.

Big Shot will be used by me to make prints and hang them on my walls. It's just totally mindblowing to think they'll let us use that much bandwidth.

That part 3 really sounds exciting. However, no word about customized cockpits ? Replace the stock wheel with a Momo-style racing wheel for example ? I mean, it would look weird to have a full-blown tuned monster and still have all those heavy instrumentations in the cockpit like conditionned air and stuff. If I'm purchasing, let's say, this "weight reduction" upgrade, I would like to be able to actually see that things were removed from the cockpit. Changing the stock dashboard for a MoTec display, things like that.

Forza 5, maybe :indiff:

But don't get me wrong. My social life will end as soon as this bomb ships.

Last edited:
Well, I remember in FM3, on certain cars adding the rollcage meant that you nearly couldn't see out of the front of the car as the tubing would obscure the windscreen! That was always quite cool.

Good info right there.
Not into Drag racing but pleased my fellow enthusiasts are getting there fix.

Loads to praise but a little tit bit might have slipped in unnoticed over the great features.

The ability to select AI difficulty in quick race is a very nice cherry on the cake.

As F3 regulars know AI was stuck on medium in quick race and therefor made it redundant.

Laps were limited to 2 on average so I hope that has been addressed.
Hope for a credit payout in quick race too based on settings of course.

Just the tonic for a closed down thread lol.

I have to agree there. But I swear I remember reading on FM.net that cockpits could be customized in 3. Same as me hearing the 787B would be in.

I don't know whether it was hearsay or I just read what I wanted to (the latter being the unlikeliest of the two) but I was all excited and then neither were there.

and for the ultimate upgrade, some cars allow you to purchase OEM appearance packages available only from the factory, completely transforming the look of your car.

McLaren F1 with High Downforce Kit anyone? :drool:

94-McLaren_F1_DV-08_MC_011.jpg

The one thing that isn't really worth getting excited about is when Dan exclaims if you roll the car you'll pretty be out of luck as you'll no longer be able to flip it back upright.

I personally find this very good feature. After all, it will only be that way on full simulation setting. I presume we will agree that is the only good way.

I am also excited about improved damage system. I hope it will be transgressed onto variable and progressive mechanical damage in the line of TOCA Race Driver 3.

I hope how aggressive curb-riding, over revving and aggressive shifting will make impact on overall performance, I am waiting for more than 6 years now to somebody actually bite that bullet and outperforms Codemasters in that area.

We have ALWAYS been able to shut the rewind feature off in the options menu. Thats why I never understood people complaining about rewind, it can be shut off in F3. But in F4 you get EXTRA credits for having it turned off.

Not true, you could shut down the MESSAGE telling you to rewind, not the feature itself. That one was there regardless of the adjustment mentioned.

It seems to me thay have made FM3 but better. Dont take that as a negative; cause its EXACTLY what i wanted..

Not true, you could shut down the MESSAGE telling you to rewind, not the feature itself. That one was there regardless of the adjustment mentioned.
How hard can it be to not hit the 'Rewind' button? :odd:

After all, it didn't work in multiplayer and invalitated hot laps...

Never understand this either. It's quite possible to play any game with a rewind or flashback feature as though that feature doesn't even exist. Just don't press the bleedin button. Not rocket science.

I hope how aggressive curb-riding, over revving and aggressive shifting will make impact on overall performance, I am waiting for more than 6 years now to somebody actually bite that bullet and outperforms Codemasters in that area.

Am I missing something or does FM3 already cover all of those?

"It slightly modified the player’s steering angle input as well as the rate of steering wheel rotation based on the yaw of the car and the player’s recent inputs. I loved the system for drifting, as it made me feel like a driving god "

Nice that they admitted this about Forza 3. You have to first accept the existence of the problem to fix it :)

I just ignore the function, as any other assist or help, but that is not what matters here.

I was only pointing out that Camaro's post was not true about being able to disable it on FM3.

Some excellent news. Tuning sounds absolutely amazing. Hopefully I'll end up owning a 360 again some time in the future to pick up this game. Not too trilled about about scaling credits with difficulty, unless money is very easy to come by. Like with GT, credits only hinder a sim game.

The only other issue is the over reliance on saved tuning set ups. It's a huge disappointment that you can't set up the car in the online lobby, and it suggests that Forza 3's abomination of an online lobby system might come back (or is this confirmed? I haven't really been following).

Overall though, Forza 4 is looking it will be a racing giant.

"It slightly modified the player’s steering angle input as well as the rate of steering wheel rotation based on the yaw of the car and the player’s recent inputs. I loved the system for drifting, as it made me feel like a driving god "

Nice that they admitted this about Forza 3. You have to first accept the existence of the problem to fix it :)

Too little, too late for many.

I wonder how many people got permanently banned from their forums just for mentioning it?

and it suggests that Forza 3's abomination of an online lobby system might come back (or is this confirmed? I haven't really been following).

Hoppers return from FM3. However, custom public lobbies return from FM2 as well. We get to choose from either one.

Some excellent news. Tuning sounds absolutely amazing. Hopefully I'll end up owning a 360 again some time in the future to pick up this game. Not too trilled about about scaling credits with difficulty, unless money is very easy to come by. Like with GT, credits only hinder a sim game.

The only other issue is the over reliance on saved tuning set ups. It's a huge disappointment that you can't set up the car in the online lobby, and it suggests that Forza 3's abomination of an online lobby system might come back (or is this confirmed? I haven't really been following).

Overall though, Forza 4 is looking it will be a racing giant.

One of the great things about Forza is that is has an economy. It's not just racing where you make money. You can sells tunes, livery designs, individual vinyls and the rivals mode means your going to be able to make money competing against your friends. Plenty of scope for making money in FM.

Yes you can't tune in a lobby but the lobby system from FM2 is back.

Back