FM3 Reviews by GTP members

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 157 comments
The environments in Forza 3 however, including track detail, are better than GT.

I sincerely disagree. Recently started playing GT5p again, and frankly, I think GT5p has the edge on Forza 3 in this regard. There are certain things about the environments that are just better in GT5p... for instance, the grass is a lot better than in Forza simply because it's sparsely covered in 2D billboard blades of grass instead of just being a flat 2D texture of green.

Also, the 3D crowds look WAY better in Prologue. The Forza crowds when viewed up-close are significantly worse than the ones in GT5p, and actually a fair bit worse than the few 3D spectators in GT4. In contrast, the ones in GT5P look pretty decent when viewed closely. They certainly aren't on par with character models from say, Uncharted 2, but they're textured nicely and have enough polygons to be reasonably pleasing to the eyes.

In addition, the buildings in GT5p are better textured. Elsewhere, such as the track surface, the textures in both games are on par with each other. But GT5p has one more huge advantage over Forza, and it's the lighting. The lighting of the tracks in GT5p is consistently very realistic. In Forza, it varies between tracks... but most have overly-saturated, overly-bright lighting.

I sincerely disagree. Recently started playing GT5p again, and frankly, I think GT5p has the edge on Forza 3 in this regard. There are certain things about the environments that are just better in GT5p... for instance, the grass is a lot better than in Forza simply because it's sparsely covered in 2D billboard blades of grass instead of just being a flat 2D texture of green.

Also, the 3D crowds look WAY better in Prologue. The Forza crowds when viewed up-close are significantly worse than the ones in GT5p, and actually a fair bit worse than the few 3D spectators in GT4. In contrast, the ones in GT5P look pretty decent when viewed closely. They certainly aren't on par with character models from say, Uncharted 2, but they're textured nicely and have enough polygons to be reasonably pleasing to the eyes.

In addition, the buildings in GT5p are better textured. Elsewhere, such as the track surface, the textures in both games are on par with each other. But GT5p has one more huge advantage over Forza, and it's the lighting. The lighting of the tracks in GT5p is consistently very realistic. In Forza, it varies between tracks... but most have overly-saturated, overly-bright lighting.

We will have to respectly fully agree to disagree then :)

Forza 3 currently has one major plus point over GT5 - you can play it. Even the most ardent of GT fans, and I include myself in that category, can't deny that magazine articles, YouTube videos, and even playable demos are no match for being able to get stuck in to the game proper. After just one week of being an Xbox and Forza owner, I feel like I know the game well already. Certainly, being a GT player all these years really helps, but it is the differences I am enjoying the most. Forza will never be Gran Turismo - and that's a really good thing IMO.

First of all, it feels more like a game than Gran Turismo, but as such, it is proper good fun right from the outset. The livery editor, storefront and auction house are all new to me, and I love these extra dimensions to the game. Sure, it's all surplus baggage that makes no difference to how "real" a drive you end up with, but it's a huge plus never the less. The environments/tracks look great, although they are not quite as consistently good as in GT, but the number of variations per environment means that one is never stuck to find a track to suit my particular desire at any given time. Graphically, the game is better than I expected from some other reviews - and it looks awesome in 1080p. And while there isn't quite the level of detail on the cars as GT5:P, I barely notice the difference when actually on the track. Also, the slightly inferior graphics are well compensated for by the fact that you can race your own designed cars! The interiors are slightly more basic, but strangely I am finding them more easy to use that in GT5:P. One major plus is the sound - each car has a very distinct and pleasing sound, and the higher power cars make a satisfying roar. I can only wish that GT5 has comparable sound to FM3.

I haven't played the game fully yet, but I haven't seen much in the way of different driving surfaces, weather conditions, or night tracks. Another minor complaint is the way that your next lap is automatically disqualified if you make any sort of transgression within the final sector of the proceeding lap, whether it affects your lap time or not. I'm sure as time goes by, I'll find more to quibble about... but for the time being, I am really enjoying FM3 and can heartily recommend it, even for experienced/seasoned GT addicts.

The million dollar question is, how will it fare once GT5 proper comes out, and how much time will I spend on FM3 after that? I guess that depends on how much overlap there is between the two games, but from what I can see so far, there will still be room for both games in my diary, even if GT5 comes with a livery editor! Ultimately, I doubt FM3 will steal much of GT5's thunder, but it is also more than just a stop-gap... I hope to continue playing it, even once GT5 is out. With all that said, I'll leave you will a simple equation. GT5 + FM3 > GT5 or FM3 :dopey:👍

None of those cars you mentioned are hard to drive :lol: Nor do they show realistic handling traits mid corner if you abruptly lift off the throttle...which makes the game and physics way too simplified. The weight transfer just doesn't seem to work all that realistically in that situation sorry to say. Entering a corner is about as simple as hitting your braking point, trailing off the brake and turning in for the apex. The physics don't penalize you much with any oversteer at all for the way you enter the corner, in regards to your smoothness with the inputs (letting off the brake, feeding steering in slowly and carefully, etc) . Regardless of what you do the rear always seems to maintain unrealistic amounts of traction and stability...which is a huge flaw to anyone who knows vehicle physics.

The 993 GT2 is basically a death trap for all but the best drivers in real life. In the game you can basically punch the throttle mid corner and abruptly lift off without worrying one bit over having a moment...do this in real life and you would be stacked up in the tire wall from massive snap oversteer that you could only control with the throttle :lol: The car does seem to show a bit of oversteer entering a corner when you do carry to much brake and steering input into the corner, but it doesn't penalize you nearly to the extreme in the way it would in real life.

The physics are really my only gripe of FM3...everything else about the game is wonderful with many aspects that I find much better than Prolouge :sly: But the problem for me is that the physics are the most important part of a racing game...and FM3 is a let down in its simplicity :(
I absolutely agree. "Everyone" seems to say Forza 3 is the best sim ever, dedicated to the best sim-addicts... I never felt any of that, even compared to Forza 2, it's too grippy and the direction isn't responsive enough. While Forza 2 (and possibly 1) was a big leap forward to GT4 in terms of physics, GT5 can easily outclass Forza 3 in terms of fun - it won't even have to be that realistic

where I disagree is the rest of the game beeing so great. It feels to me like Forza 2 prime. Overall, not a "must buy" to me

I loved Forza2, and the original forza. Forza 3 I feel lost their way somewhat, but still enjoy playing it, mainly for one reason and that is the online racing, even though they messed it a little it still beats anything out there for racing online.
I just hope for all our sakes PD gets this online racing part right, as this means everything, single player just dont do it for me anymore. YES ill enjoy it initially but the shelf life of a game today counts on playing live. Oh, and that means being able to talk with the opposition...

Nitpicking the physics/vehicular dynamics aside, this game has some serious Multiplayer Setup/customization/organizational issues. That said, to me, the driving experience is an on-going incremental series of improvements over each title preceeding it. In relation to the greater scheme of gaming, I'd give it an 85%.

In the scheme of how-well-does-this-game-play-as-a-racer? Eh, maybe a 90% or a 75%, depending on context.

Edit: Oh, and —5% from all scores for not being able to tune/customize cars in Offline Versus mode.

Back