FM5 weird hand animation when shifting.

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 72 comments
That's right. Only you the "expert" guys know what you're talking about. The rest of us out here are complete laymen.

Thanks for your input, I rest my case.

While I understand you comment based on random web videos, maybe you should buy and play the game. I have found the animations very fluid, very smooth at 1080p, 60fps. There maybe be occasional motion direction or exaggeration, but the animations are excellent in Forza 5. As are the shadows, lighting, reflections off the orange peel, distortion of the environment along the shape of the body as you see it animate throughout your drive.

Last edited:
Talking about the subject; there's something weird with FM4 in that when you turn the wheel far over (let's say in tight slow corners), the animation only follows your movements to a certain degree and then stops. It does not turn the wheel completely over like you do on your physical wheel, which is a bit lame and confusing as it's not synchronized with you.

Seeing that i haven't talked about this with anyone on GTP; has this been discussed extensively already? And is this fixed for FM5?

Well, there's nothing wrong with hoping for a positive outcome. But ATM, it's pretty clear cockpit animations haven't been a priority for T10.

They've worked on everything from the look of the dash, to the camera movement and muffled sound that you get from inside the car.. but when it comes to animation.. no sirree! I've always despised the cockpit view for this reason. With the standard hood or bonnet/bumper cam working much better; you can at least tell what the front wheels are doing. Using the cockpit view in Forza may actually hamper your real-life driving! If you drive fast that is.

I had a chance to experience FM5 the other day. Can anyone confirm if the bumper cam now sits at the correct height? In previous Forza games the bumper view always felts like a roof cam view as it used to sit a little higher than the hood view - particularly noticeable on really low and sleek cars like the 458 or F1.

I hope they have. A proper bumper cam makes for great sense of speed!

It's one thing to model it properly, but with hand over hand, if they couldn't solve the issue of clipping then it would look dreadful. Then you have cars with fixed paddles against ones that move with the wheel to contend with too.

I just watched the Race Pro video, is that really being held up as the benchmark when the driver's hand is on the shift lever for way too long considering it's a sequential box?

Well, there's nothing wrong with hoping for a positive outcome. But ATM, it's pretty clear cockpit animations haven't been a priority for T10.

They've worked on everything from the look of the dash, to the camera movement and muffled sound that you get from inside the car.. but when it comes to animation.. no sirree! I've always despised the cockpit view for this reason. With the standard hood or bonnet/bumper cam working much better; you can at least tell what the front wheels are doing. Using the cockpit view in Forza may actually hamper your real-life driving! If you drive fast that is.

I had a chance to experience FM5 the other day. Can anyone confirm if the bumper cam now sits at the correct height? In previous Forza games the bumper view always felts like a roof cam view as it used to sit a little higher than the hood view - particularly noticeable on really low and sleek cars like the 458 or F1.

I hope they have. A proper bumper cam makes for great sense of speed!

i thought the height was wrong from my first race and switched to cockpit view, love the sense of speed with the bumper cam

^^ Yeh, the sense of speed is nothing to complain about. Do you prefer with motion effects on or off BTW? I've experimented with both, and prefer keeping them off, since you get the correct depth perception and field of view. Also, I don't think the added "camera shaking" aids better in terms of tyre and suspension feedback.

I think this camera height problem is fixed in FM5, the bumper cam seems to sit just at the right height from the tarmac.

Yesterday was driving a race-modified Ford GT in one of the Nurb track day events, against stock hatchbacks. The bumper cam should be sitting really low, but doesn't. It seems the bumper cam is simply a zoomed in hood cam that actually sits somewhat higher rather than lower - that's how I can best describe it.

Anyhoo, cheers!

Back