For all the Vision GT haters: McLaren is building a real McLaren VGT

• Thread starter Magog
  • 74 comments
Isn't this an esport sim though. Stupid cars.

Enjoy 'em if ya love 'em. But they really are just weird things I'd expect in a game like Wipeout or some crap, not an esport sim.

The fantasy cars can all go and I'll definitely look at the game far more seriously and respectfully. As is, childish even. (That Tomahawk).

Have at it McLaren, meh.

The tags on the instagram post mean absolutely nothing since those are posts by car collectors and not McLaren themselves.

Isn't it from the person who ordered the car? One would think they know what they commissioned.

LOL, clearly you didn't read the article and accompanying tweets.

upload_2018-10-19_20-49-17.png

Where does it say "McLaren is building a real McLaren VGT"? All I see is "Building a real car likely inspired by that concept". As much as I like the VGTs, I feel you are reading waaaay too much into hastags and tweets that aren't even from Mclaren themselves.

View attachment 775000

Where does it say "McLaren is building a real McLaren VGT"? All I see is "Building a real car likely inspired by that concept". As much as I like the VGTs, I feel you are reading waaaay too much into hastags and tweets that aren't even from Mclaren themselves.

The Instagram is from the guy who ordered the car I believe. I'm sure he knows what he ordered. Anyway I'm not the one speculating the writers of the article are. I just happen to agree.

If I wanted to play Pod Racer, I'd play Pod Racer.

Imaginary cars belong in an imaginary game. In outer space. In a galaxy far, far away.

Aren't PD facing enough shortfall in GT6's cars and tracks that they need to waste modeling time on science fiction? I hated VGT cars in GT6, I think they are even more a waste in GTS. At least in GT6 there were so many real cars you didn't feel like PD were wasting their modeling dollars. Not so the case in GTS. Every VGT car is a real car not modeled.

Isn't this an esport sim though. Stupid cars.

Enjoy 'em if ya love 'em. But they really are just weird things I'd expect in a game like Wipeout or some crap, not an esport sim.

The fantasy cars can all go and I'll definitely look at the game far more seriously and respectfully. As is, childish even. (That Tomahawk).

Have at it McLaren, meh.

If I wanted to play Pod Racer, I'd play Pod Racer.

Imaginary cars belong in an imaginary game. In outer space. In a galaxy far, far away.

Aren't PD facing enough shortfall in GT6's cars and tracks that they need to waste modeling time on science fiction? I hated VGT cars in GT6, I think they are even more a waste in GTS. At least in GT6 there were so many real cars you didn't feel like PD were wasting their modeling dollars. Not so the case in GTS. Every VGT car is a real car not modeled.
At the end of the day though, it doesn’t matter if they’re real or fake.

They’re just a bunch of 1s and 0s in a program with set parameters meant to mimic real life.

Driving a car “based” on a Lancer is no more real than driving a car “based” on some fantasy sketch by an automaker.

Neither of them are real life, or even close enough to real life where you could argue “Oh, but if the data sets are meant to replicate a ‘real’ car then it’s much more realistic if said car actually exists in the first place, right?” I’m not so sure.

Sim racing has come a long ways, but no sim is truly representative of the real world, and it likely never will be.

So again. It doesn’t matter if you’re driving something that’s supposedly from the real world or not. It’s just a bunch of numbers meant to replicate power and grip and weight, etc. You’re still playing a PS4 game at the end of the day.

People who literally change their whole outlook on the game all because of VGT cars really are perplexing. None of this is real. They’re all just representations. You’re not driving a real car regardless. They’re representations, and the “representation” in the game of a real car is just as artificial as the “representation” of one which only exists on paper.

I’m sure to have a lot of people who disagree with me, but I really don’t care. I get to enjoy a bunch of cars that people put hours of passion and care into designing and creating, even if just on paper or on a computer, instead of throwing a tantrum about how the cars aren’t “real” in the video game I’m playing.

So again. It doesn’t matter if you’re driving something that’s supposedly from the real world or not. It’s just a bunch of numbers meant to replicate power and grip and weight, etc. You’re still playing a PS4 game at the end of the day.

People who literally change their whole outlook on the game all because of VGT cars really are perplexing. None of this is real. They’re all just representations. You’re not driving a real car regardless. They’re representations, and the “representation” in the game of a real car is just as artificial as the “representation” of one which only exists on paper.

I’m sure to have a lot of people who disagree with me, but I really don’t care. I get to enjoy a bunch of cars that people put hours of passion and care into designing and creating, even if just on paper or on a computer, instead of throwing a tantrum about how the cars aren’t “real” in the video game I’m playing.

This. What's even more perplexing is some complain about VGT while driving around on a fictional track :banghead:

Apart from the lying down cockpit, I believe the McLaren VGT is one of the more plausible ones (compared to the Chaparral or SRT for example), so I'm glad it got to at least inspire a bespoke client project 👍 If this gets built it will be up there with the Aston Valkyrie and AMG One as one of the fastest road going track cars ever :drool: Hopefully it will also be eligible in the new WEC Hypercar class.

I think it's a shame that most of the manufacturers don't have the balls to make a working version of the VGT except Audi and possibly Bugatti (specs probably won't be as crazy as the in game one though). The rest are just mockups or life sized concept cars that can't drive by itself. The Fittipaldi is an exception because I feel it's made as its own car first, and then somehow Kaz drafts it to be a VGT. Actually if you count the Citroen GTbC that is also a working concept (albeit with a Ford V8 instead of the original electric drive).

I feel like the McLaren Ultimate is also approaching a point where the acceleration deceleration and lateral forces arent meant for people... unless you're a fighter pilot.

The Group X has 1,134hp on a 900kg frame. Its makes everything else feel like they're in slow motion.

It was even worse prior to the new tyre model.

They’re just a bunch of 1s and 0s in a program with set parameters meant to mimic real life.

Driving a car “based” on a Lancer is no more real than driving a car “based” on some fantasy sketch by an automaker.

Neither of them are real life, or even close enough to real life where you could argue “Oh, but if the data sets are meant to replicate a ‘real’ car then it’s much more realistic if said car actually exists in the first place, right?” I’m not so sure.

Sim racing has come a long ways, but no sim is truly representative of the real world, and it likely never will be.

Each their own. They hold the game back as with those cars, there's hardly any races. Why waste time creating childish fantasy toys that can't be used for more than a giggle when trying to be a serious, FIA racing sim.

And yes, to the headbanger. Fantasy tracks too for all I care. Game needs to choose what it is, an arcade racer or sim. At the moment, it struggles to be either.

Apart from the lying down cockpit, I believe the McLaren VGT is one of the more plausible ones (compared to the Chaparral or SRT for example), so I'm glad it got to at least inspire a bespoke client project 👍 If this gets built it will be up there with the Aston Valkyrie and AMG One as one of the fastest road going track cars ever :drool: Hopefully it will also be eligible in the new WEC Hypercar class.

I think it's a shame that most of the manufacturers don't have the balls to make a working version of the VGT except Audi and possibly Bugatti (specs probably won't be as crazy as the in game one though). The rest are just mockups or life sized concept cars that can't drive by itself. The Fittipaldi is an exception because I feel it's made as its own car first, and then somehow Kaz drafts it to be a VGT. Actually if you count the Citroen GTbC that is also a working concept (albeit with a Ford V8 instead of the original electric drive).

Don't Forget Volkswagen also has a working VGT:

Each their own. They hold the game back as with those cars, there's hardly any races. Why waste time creating childish fantasy toys that can't be used for more than a giggle when trying to be a serious, FIA racing sim.

And yes, to the headbanger. Fantasy tracks too for all I care. Game needs to choose what it is, an arcade racer or sim. At the moment, it struggles to be either.

Maybe you didn't notice, but these cars are taking part in the FIA certified e-sports events.

I've been saying this for years! All of the hate for the Red Bull X Prototypes dating back to Gran Turismo 5 and the SRT Tomahawk since Gran Turismo 6 because "they're not humanly possible" or "they're not even made yet, never will be, and I hope they will never ever be!", all kinds of silly comments of the sort. Fantasy or not, realistically depicted and simulated, or not, all of these cars are just awesome. Take the Chaparral 2X; powered by a giant laser, looks like a spaceship, doesn't have a steering wheel and goes 0-200mph in a matter of seconds? Realistic? Probably not, but is it awesome? You bet my lucky baseball collection it is.

The Vision GT cars really make me long for a Red Bull X2019, or the X2014 Fan Car. I mean, the rest of the family is already here in Gran Turismo Sport; we just need the extreme machine to return.

Maybe you didn't notice, but these cars are taking part in the FIA certified e-sports events.
My mistake, I didn't know, sorry about that. I thought group X cars don't. (The game put me off racing online here pretty quickly and I gave up hoping/waiting for change so missed any growth or other additions or smaller details - Rare I do forums too as I just want to race, but the franchise is on the ropes for me as is and I scan the 'BS penalty thread' in hopes every update as I love GT in general).

I just don't like them myself and never used/bought any as they just break my immersive side I enjoy, that Tomahawk is just so weird and crazy for me. The tracks don't break that like these cars can and I find the cars often to be quite bland/strange looking. (The Mini for example, looks huge).

Just more noticeable when the roster was far reduced opposed to GT6. If there was a huge amount like previous games, these were very easy to just ignore. And of course, if ya love them, enjoy them too. I don't mean to be a grouch but combined with other flaws, this release just went too far away from me is all, bit of a shame. But what can I do, lol. So I bitch.

Sorry, not sorry, I guess, lol. Enjoy!
(Edited for spelling).

There are VGT cars in Gr1/3/4 also.
Yeah, saw that earlier when I looked into these to learn more when I had a little session. No doubt I missed that and can only apologise in my assumptions there.

They are cars I just ignore fully. Won't buy them and if given, thrown away. I just don't like them at all. Plenty of cool cars for me as they keep adding though so the longer we go, easier to ignore too.

I feel like the VGTs to me depend on how well they fit into the crowd.

Do I accept a Chaparral 2x in the mix? Lol No.

Do I accept something like a Citroen Gr.3 in the Gr.3 classes? Yeah.

Spaceships no.

Liveried VGT race cars? Yes.

I feel like the VGTs to me depend on how well they fit into the crowd.

Do I accept a Chaparral 2x in the mix? Lol No.

Do I accept something like a Citroen Gr.3 in the Gr.3 classes? Yeah.

Spaceships no.

Liveried VGT race cars? Yes.

I bought my Elantra because it looks like a spaceship. To each their own I suppose.

Eh. I think I could handle it.
Jet fighter pilots endure up to 8-9 g forces and tomahawk exceed that value while braking. Ofcourse you can handle it but not for long. Also you need some kind of g suit to absorb some of that force.

Back