Ford developing two new EVs based on VW platforms

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
Prototypes of Ford’s yet-unnamed crossover that will be based on VW Group‘s MEB architecture were caught testing outside the automaker’s facilities in Europe giving us a better idea of what to expect. Ford described the upcoming electric SUV simply as a “medium-sized crossover” in an official teaser announcement from last year – it will be closely related to the VW ID.4, the Audi Q4 e-tron, the Skoda Enyaq iV, and the upcoming Cupra Tavascan. However, its exterior and interior are expected to be exclusive to the Ford model.

At the front, the electric SUV sports a fully covered grille, sporty lower bumper intakes, and slim LED headlights with a hint of Audi. The rear end looks more aggressive thanks to the full-width LED taillights, the angular tailgate, the rear spoiler, and the diffuser-shaped plastic part on the lower bumper area. Ford hasn’t revealed much about the technical specifications of its upcoming MEB-based EV other than it will be a five-seater with a driving range of up to 500 km (311 miles). Judging from the VW Group’s related EVs, the crossover could be offered with single (RWD) and dual electric motors (AWD), producing up to 295 hp (220 kW / 299 PS).

Ford is the only automaker outside the VW Group set to use the MEB architecture for its vehicles. Besides the “medium-sized crossover”, the company has also confirmed a “sport crossover” which will ride on the same platform. However, we must note that Ford recently announced it’s developing its own EV-dedicated architecture, which likely means the VW-sourced underpinnings won’t be used for more vehicles. We understand that Ford used its collaboration with VW to bring more EVs to the market with a short development time and minimum R&D costs until its own platform is ready to hit production.

As reported by Autocar, Ford’s new “medium-sized crossover” is expected to debut this March, with production set to commence in mid-2023 at the Ford Cologne Electrification Center in Germany. The “sport crossover” which will be built in the same plant, is expected to follow in 2024.

From Carscoops
1674501923098.png

1674501929675.png

1674501936018.png

This makes me think that EV platforms are going to become the most regionalized platforms ever in the automotive industry. If we thought that American cars were not compatible with European driving styles already then we're in for a treat. And it won't be that historically European hatchbacks won't sell in the US, it's that their EV successors won't work in the US so manufacturers will be forced to develop two completely different platform families, and/or borrow them, rather than simply adapt a single ICE platform to suit the market. While Ford is offering an F-150 EV in the US, they're partnering with VW in Europe, and while Honda is offering the E in Japan, they're partnering with GM in the US. So weird.

To be honest I wish Honda would bring a "grown up" version of the E to the US. It's so stylish I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:
This makes me think that EV platforms are going to become the most regionalized platforms ever in the automotive industry. If we thought that American cars were not compatible with European driving styles already then we're in for a treat. And it won't be that historically European hatchbacks won't sell in the US, it's that their EV successors won't work in the US so manufacturers will be forced to develop two completely different platform families, and/or borrow them, rather than simply adapt a single ICE platform to suit the market. While Ford is offering an F-150 EV in the US, they're partnering with VW in Europe, and while Honda is offering the E in Japan, they're partnering with GM in the US. So weird.

To be honest I wish Honda would bring a "grown up" version of the E to the US. It's so stylish I bet it would sell like hotcakes.
The problem isn't that it's not stylish, it's simply too small for the average US customer.

Looks great!

Doesn’t have a *frunk because the VW platform is ass. Oh well. Hopefully this partnership is a European endeavor and not a North American one, especially given Ford’s efforts to revitalize the Detroit train station to concentrate EV engineering.

Anyway, overall I really like the design of this thing. It’s a bit tough, a bit aggressive, a bit athletic looking. Much more bold than VW’s own versions which are incredibly soft.

Last edited:
Looks great!

Doesn’t have a drunk because the VW platform is ass. Oh well. Hopefully this partnership is a European endeavor and not a North American one, especially given Ford’s efforts to revitalize the Detroit train station to concentrate EV engineering.

Anyway, overall I really like the design of this thing. It’s a bit tough, a bit aggressive, a bit athletic looking. Much more bold than VW’s own versions which are incredibly soft.
Freudian slip?

The exterior looks really good. I wish they would bring it to the states, but I assume they'd want to make it 3 rows here :yuck:. We need more small EVs, cause these behemoths aren't helping anyone

Also, the dash looks awful. It seems like the screen is tiny with a huge piano black plastic bezel

ford-explorer-elettrica-2023.jpg

Volume controls also appear to be a capacitive touch slider on the bottom

The infotainment tablet also appears to be move up and down, sort of similar to the Lucid. The infotainment also has massive piano black bezels. The steering wheel also has capacitive touch buttons, unfortunately

With a length of under 177.1 inches (4.5 meters), the Explorer EV is slightly shorter than the Volkswagen ID.4 with which it shares the underpinnings, offering seating for five. Ford targets a starting price under $48,300 (€45,000) when orders open later this year in Europe.

That will make it significantly more affordable than the Mustang Mach-E, which starts at $67,600 (€62,900) in Germany. Two highly specified versions will be available – Explorer and Explorer Premium.

The title of this video is a stark reminder of what is being sacrificed for the Explorer to be a thing. :(

Moving Ford upmarket is very controversial in my view. Ford was a market leader for a long time in the UK (VW recently edged ahead), most people recognise what a Ford looks like and see it as a commodity brand.

I'm not convinced that sticking American nameplates will be enough to give it a premium image. Unlike Mustangs, the Explorer still wears the Blue Oval badge, and for that reason alone most people in this market will never see it as a premium vehicle.

I wonder how Ford plans to establish a new following in Europe following this brand overhaul. As someone who previously admired Fords, I can't see myself taking much interest in their future mainline vehicles.

I knew that Ford Europe would eventually follow after Ford USA’s “no-car” trend, but I wasn’t expecting this monstrosity to be sold here.

Well and truly despise Ford Europe now, completely killing their brand image in the space of a few years, just as their lineup was as strong as it’s been since a few decades ago.

This is going to make the Mach-E look a bit redundant isn't it? It's not much smaller on the outside but is 26% cheaper and looking at how it's packaged i bet it's not much smaller inside. In fact, looking at the stats, it has a greater trunk space too. Power-wise, aside from the Mach-E having the GT version and the Explorer having a lower-end base model, they both have similar power/battery outputs.

I don't expect it will be much more than a coupe'd Explorer in the mould of the X3/X4 etc.

I well and truly hope they are decimated by the Koreans and Chinese in the European market. Imagine saying that 10 years ago, what a joke...

Isn't it funny how it went from people saying that the Koreans and the Chinese don't know how to build cars compared to a manufacturer like Ford, now it seems it's being flipped the other way round.

Last edited:
Moving Ford upmarket is very controversial in my view. Ford was a market leader for a long time in the UK (VW recently edged ahead), most people recognise what a Ford looks like and see it as a commodity brand.
Many manufacturers are moving "upmarket" these days. It's just the unfortunate nature of the inflationary and hyper-competition era of the automotive industry. Brands would rather offer lower production, more "premium" vehicles, and will effectively abandon entire market sectors in doing so (i.e. cars in the US, subcompacts/compacts in the EU).

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this, but Ford has announced they will be moving to the NACS charger connector starting from 2025

Starting early next year, Ford EV customers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, in addition to the over 10,000 DC fast-chargers that are already part of the BlueOval Charge Network. This will give Ford EV customers unprecedented access to fast-charging

Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence

In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in, eliminating the need for an adapter to access Tesla Superchargers

Ford claims to be working on a new compact EV CUV due by 2026, will be firmly priced at $25,000. Ford has delayed its upcoming EV 3-row SUV slotting above the Explorer to make way for its most affordable EV offering.

Back