Ford GT Gets More Power For Its Final Run, Plus Liquid Carbon Special Edition

You actually can, that is the entire purpose of the 350 being added, to be sold off to new customers because there's enough interest on top of the original plan to allow all 4th-year examples to be open for sale.

Suggest you read my entire sentence as well.

Since you "know of their scheme", you know Ford has been very aggressive in keeping the GT off the used market & away from auction sites. It's part of the reason they chose people to begin with, why the "social media influencers" may receive one so they can "share" the car with the world. Really, it's a great marketing tactic that basically hopes the influencer keeps the car long term. Same with asking how long former GT owners kept their cars and what kind of car collections they own.

So in this case, demand is relevant to Ford because they want the car to remain exclusive.

They took a Ferrari/Porsche-approach with this vehicle for a reason and that entails making sure the value of the car stays in the black for Ford to keep whomever else happy. That involved purposely capping production, picking the owners, and to an extreme on Ford's part, having a sales embargo. With a planned 4-year production window on the biggest hyped car in Ford's history, this would be difficult without the embargo they placed & the threat of law suits (as blacklisting wouldn't work). Without it, as the first of the 1,000 are made, around a dozen could easily find their way to the open market in the first year. Based on the initial reactions I saw, leaving an open window meant the first few cars see $1 million POAs (as a couple actually were overseas), a hefty return on a $500,000 car. However, by the 3rd year run, "fair market" values could then drop if the market became saturated after the flippers made quick bucks. Exotic car owners aren't fond of this, because exotics are the only, relatively, "investment-safe" cars out there, esp. when you're spending $500,000+. Manufacturers don't like it b/c that's extra money being purposely left off their tables when they factor in MSRPs; Ford could've had started the GT at $1m if they knew people were willing to pay that in the market, but that price point would reflect more negatively in less initial buyers, their company image not being known for that, etc.

The embargo however, kept the car harder to buy, which boosted the value, which keeps the ownership base happy. If you took notice, this additional 350 car run is being added just as the original sales embargo has come to an end & production is set to end in October. First year cars are starting to hit the auction/used markets without backlash from Ford, and their initial values are still around $1m+. That's great for the owners looking to sell now since Ford has already secured their own financial interests & the 350 supply (alongside the Mk. II) is extra money. On top of that, with production closing and a reported 6-to-1 demand, values should stay pretty high for years to come as long as the market remains limited over time.

Ford took a risk being "reluctant to sell" and it's appearing to pay off for those in that circle.

f5ed85b83818f6dca08cd317de83056991dfc961327cbf784b45eb615deab570.jpg

Looks like some of those in the know within' the Ford GT community think it's a bait headline. Ford also just put out in their press release today announcing their last Heritage model, a tribute to the 1964 Prototypes, that 2022 is the final year.
Entering the final year of production, the 2022 Ford GT Heritage Edition supercar pays homage to the 1964 Ford GT prototypes that led to America’s only Le Mans®-winning supercar, with wins from 1966 to 1969, and again in 2016

Looks like some of those in the know within' the Ford GT community think it's a bait headline. Ford also just put out in their press release today announcing their last Heritage model, a tribute to the 1964 Prototypes, that 2022 is the final year.

message-editor%2F1628716664738-2022fordgt64heritageeditionand1964fordgtprototype_02.jpg

message-editor%2F1628716668660-2022fordgt64heritageeditionand1964fordgtprototype_03.jpg

message-editor%2F1628716775173-2022fordgt64heritageedition_07.jpg

I've loved every single one of their homage designs they've put out. In my head I'm comparing this GT to the new NSX and "Countach" and I'm thinking, somehow Ford managed to develop a car that barely resembles a GT40 at all but encapsulates what a GT40 is very well, and all the retro it needs is a few throwback jerseys. This car is just as much a GT as the 2005 GT despite being completely different. And yet somehow Honda's diversion from the NSX formula went totally off the rails, and Lambo's attempt at retro style is also questionable.

You really have to give it to Ford for pulling off both the 2005 GT's retro vibes and the 2017's technological advancement but in both cases making it clear that this is what the GT40 is, was, and can be. By far my favorite supercar of the past decade.

They initially wanted $1.89 million for this back in March. Some grand posts (elsewhere) about where the market is and why that justifies the MSRP + $500K asking price. Car goes to auction, only goes as high as MSRP. Would be interested to know what their reserve was, but wouldn't be surprised if they sit on this another 3-4 months (car physically arrived in July after the allocation was secured in March).

This place also got Fittipaldi's RSR in Feb., asked $2.2M. Car went to auction in August at RM's, was expecting $1.8-$2.2M. Car high bid at $1.5M. Now they have another a 993 Cup they're auctioning elsewhere that they've had forever (originally asking $500K iirc), with the current bid at $100K.

Seems to me this dealership grossly over buys or tries to make a giant profit on these track cars where the market is more strict on their value b/c of their limited use.

Last edited:
They're definitely impatient. All signs seem to suggest that these cars are going to rise relatively quickly so why they can't design their business around keeping them for a few years I'm not sure. A local dealer in Dayton has a Porsche RSK and has refused offers to sell for many years, preferring to show the car and start and drive it. I heard Seinfeld has offered $9m for it.

They're definitely impatient. All signs seem to suggest that these cars are going to rise relatively quickly so why they can't design their business around keeping them for a few years I'm not sure. A local dealer in Dayton has a Porsche RSK and has refused offers to sell for many years, preferring to show the car and start and drive it. I heard Seinfeld has offered $9m for it.
This is just my view from what I've seen of them; I don't think they can afford to do that if they wanted. Their inventory is low & they already have quite a few cars I've seen with them for a while that haven't made the jump in value.

Latest Posts

Back