Ford is pretty F-ed up

  • Thread starter Thread starter Philly
  • 35 comments
  • 1,538 views

Philly

Phillium
Premium
Messages
7,666
Ford's "effing" problem needs a fix.

Autoblog
Towards the end of 2003, Ford unveiled the Freestar. It was a lousy minivan, and its name wasn't much better. From there the f-bombs started pouring in with the Freestyle, Five Hundred, and Fusion. Ford had a Shakespearean stranglehold on alliteration, but outside of the decent success of the Fusion, Ford's effed-up naming convention brought little name recognition to the Blue Oval's car lineup. When Allan Mulally came to town, he scrubbed the Freestyle and Five Hundred names for the much more recognizable and respected Taurus and Taurus X, but unfortunately the basic shape of the family haulers didn't change enough for customers to want them.

Detroit News Columnist Daniel Howes accurately points out that Ford is back to effing up the names of its vehicles. The Flex arrives this summer, and the Fiesta arrives in 2010. The News says Ford marketing head Jim Farley questioned why the Flex name would adorn Ford's full-size crossover, but even the ex-Toyota wunderkind is unable or unwilling to lose the F. We don't understand the fixation Ford has with the sixth letter of the alphabet. The Dearborn automaker's two most successful cars of the past 40 years are the Taurus and Mustang, both of which are decidedly sans F. As a matter of fact, the Camry, Civic, Accord, Impala, and Malibu are all alliteration-free. Sure, if the Flex and Fiesta are great products they'll sell no matter what they're called, but we'd like for Ford to give us an effing break.

Didn't know exactly where to put this. Maybe in the Comedy Corner? Either way, I got a decent chuckle out of it.

They forgot a few. They missed the whole F-ed up line of F-ing trucks Ford has going. And don't forget the Falcon and others around the world. And the Focus that's been around for 10 years.
 
I'm guessing people are gonna start giving BMW a hard time for having 'i' after the model name on nearly all their cars. :rolleyes:
 
TS
I'm guessing people are gonna start giving BMW a hard time for having 'i' after the model name on nearly all their cars. :rolleyes:

Probably not since BMW actually makes desirable cars. As far as the F series trucks, I thought those were the best selling trucks in America, no? Funny article nonetheless
 
Probably not since BMW actually makes desirable cars. As far as the F series trucks, I thought those were the best selling trucks in America, no? Funny article nonetheless

Grrrr. :grumpy:
 
As far as the F series trucks, I thought those were the best selling trucks in America, no? Funny article nonetheless

They still start with F.
 
Yeah, F's and Ex's. What's up with that? At least they didn't call the little SUV "Excape". :lol:
 
JCE
Ford makes a couple desirable vehicles. Fusion, Edge, F150, and Mustang. :p



Sorry but I cant say that I agree with you on any of those other than the F series
 
TS
I'm guessing people are gonna start giving BMW a hard time for having 'i' after the model name on nearly all their cars. :rolleyes:
if carburetors become vogue again, they'll be ready; they've been iXnayed for about 15 years now. it all depends on those CSi scores; is up to customers to decide es best plan of action for an enthusiast company like that.

///M, i don't know about Ford, though. All their ex's came from Lexus, er...I mean Texas. Explorer, Excursion, Expedition, Excape, Expeditor, Expotition, ZeX2, Gal-Ex-y, Focux, and the Exdel, to name a few. Don't forget the FoX-body Muxtang.
 
Sorry but I cant say that I agree with you on any of those other than the F series

We're agree to disagree before we start throwing rocks at each other. :sly:
 
I see nothing wrong with the F-series starting with an F, due to it being around much longer than the other F vehicles.
 
The Focus (mark II) is actually a pretty good... whoops... eff'in great product.

But naming a big car "Flex"? I can think of a few better names... like "Fridge"... :lol:
 
All I know is that after last night I want Ford to burn in hell. I don't care what they do.
 
You all forgot to mention the Ford Mondeo, Transit, Sierra, probe.
 
All I know is that after last night I want Ford to burn in hell. I don't care what they do.

*Gasp*... Ford is dating your sister? :scared:

No seriously... last night?!? :boggled: :confused:
 
let's not forget the Aerostar too. :dopey:
 
Thunderbird, Explorer, Escape, Expedition, Excursion, Ranger, Edge, Taurus.
 
Explorer, Expedition and Escape (but mainly the first two) are responsible for a lot of greenhouse gases. Enough said.

I never noticed that.
 
Explorer, Expedition and Escape (but mainly the first two) are responsible for a lot of greenhouse gases. Enough said.

I never noticed that.

Pfff, don't you know E is for Enviorment? :dopey:
 
Focux, and the Exdel

Those sound like two new Organization XIII members. (Those who know nothing about Kingdom Hearts will be lost.)

any-way...I have one word for you.

EcoBoost.
 
let's not forget the one and only car that actually saved Ford.. the Escorts Mk1 and Mk2.. RS, RS mexico, RS1600, RS2000, RS Cosworthless.. and it's gutless followers, Sierra [that wasn't actually offspring of the Escort but Taunus/Cortina.. *shudder*] and Focus.. that still lacks baby-eating 4wd model and looks like melted soap.
 
Doesnt Jay Leno have a rear wheel drive, SHO powered festiva?
 
^^^Yes, one of 7 factory made Ford SHOguns. There is a company that is making more of them out of the leftover fiberglass tubs.

I've always wanted one...

Leno2.jpg
 
All we need now is a Fustang. :sly:
No. Never. Goodbye. You are dead to me. If anything, FoxyStang
^^^Yes, one of 7 factory made Ford SHOguns. There is a company that is making more of them out of the leftover fiberglass tubs.

I've always wanted one...

Leno2.jpg

Hmm, should I call him a Bogan or Redneck Trailer Trash...?
 
Back