Ford Shelby Mustang GT 350H Race Car 1966

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 5 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage presents the "exotic pony" Shelby Mustang GT 350H from 1966, a car restored to vintage racing specifications by Scott Hackenson, of Cobra Automotive.
One who begins his automotive life at HERTZ as a rental car.

687atj.jpg

This Mustang, chassis 6S564, began its life as a standard GT350 H rental car that was used for Hertz’s memorable “rent-a-racer” program. Then, in December 1965, it was shipped to Milo Brooke Inc., of Chicago, Illinois, for dealer preparation before its final delivery to Hertz’s headquarters. Following the car’s retirement from active rental duty, it was purchased in late 1966 or early 1967 by a Roger Meinke, of Adrian, Michigan, before it was transformed to its current state.

In 2003, chassis 6S564 was then acquired by Cobra expert Scott Hackenson, of Cobra Automotive in Wallingford, Connecticut. Over the course of two years, it was fully transformed into a well-prepared and highly competitive vintage racer to compete in SCRA, HSR, SCCA, and SAAC events.

The most noticeable change to the car, which was built around a new all-steel body and prepared by Cobra Automotive, is the installation of a 295 cubic-inch Ford V-8, which has a 12.7:1 compression, a BLP 750 CFM Winston Cup race carburetor, and an Edelbrock Victor custom-ported intake manifold that is mated to a four-speed, fully race-prepped Jericho transmission with a billet Super Hurst shifter. The car also sits on a complete Cobra Automotive front and rear competition suspension with four-wheel disc brakes. Of course, the interior is just as purpose-built as the underpinnings, and it features a single Kirkey aluminum racing seat with a five-point harness, modern gauges, and Plexiglas front and rear windows.

This GT350 H’s successful competition career began in 2005, when it was campaigned at famous tracks all over the East Coast, including at Road America, Sebring, and Watkins Glen. The car’s numerous podium finishes and competition success lead to additional press, and accordingly, it was featured on the popular television program American Muscle Car, as well as in several magazines, including the July 2007 issue of Victory Lane. This Shelby Mustang also saw action on the West Coast in the hands of a subsequent owner, who continued to campaign the car in SCCA races at Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Thunderhill. Even though it has not been campaigned in Sam Pack’s ownership, it comes complete with a set of spares, including wheels and tires, and an additional exhaust system, and it is ready to be prepped for the track.

Specifications
Power: 572 bhp
Engine: OHV modified Ford V-8 (295 cu. in.)
Carburetor: BLP 750 CFM Winston Cup Race
Intake manifold: Edelbrock Victor custom-ported
Transmission: Race-prepared four-speed Jerico with a Hurst shifter and linkage
Shifter: Billet Super Hurst
Suspension: Front and rear Competition Cobra Automotive
Brakes: Four-wheel disc
Wheelbase: 108 in.

etfgqo.jpg

5ort6a.jpg

2qlbg8z.jpg

20acuo8.jpg

33a5shj.jpg

THE OTHER FORDS ARE HERE:

Last edited:
My love for Mustangs is nearly as holy as my love for Mopars, Lancia, the BMW E31 and Alfa Romeo. The Hertz Mustangs from the 1960`s are propably some of my all time favorite cars. I never knew this GT350 H existed, and my jaw dreopped when I saw the photos in your thread.

Thanks for another brilliant suggestion, as always 👍

Back