Ford USA: Fusion, Focus, Fiesta, Taurus - So long!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 121 comments
The Ford Focus RS starts at just over $41k before you start adding anything. Really?!?! I want some of what Ford's sales division is smoking, there are a lot of other (read: much better) options from other manufacturers at that price point.
*looks at website* What? When did that happen? Last I checked it was 35k at starting price.

Oh wait, I think that's because the only Focus RSs left to sell are those special editions or whatever they're called.

*looks at website* What? When did that happen? Last I checked it was 35k at starting price.

Oh wait, I think that's because the only Focus RSs left to sell are those special editions or whatever they're called.

I checked Ford.com right before posting and that was the initial starting price for an RS before choosing the paint color.

Ford is not abandoning the car its "reinventing the American car"
Ford Motor Co.'s top executives on Thursday vigorously defended the automaker's plan to discontinue all of its North American sedans as a way to better meet customer needs by "reinventing the American car" rather than a retreat in response to falling sales.

During the company's annual shareholders meeting, CEO Jim Hackett and Executive Chairman Bill Ford were questioned repeatedly about the decision to ax the Fiesta, Fusion, Taurus and all but a wagon variant of the Focus in the U.S. over the next few years. Critics have called the move to focus on higher-margin SUVs, crossovers and pickups short-sighted, saying the automaker is abandoning segments that remain popular with entry-level buyers.

"This doesn't mean we intend to lose those customers," Hackett said. "We want to give them what they're telling us they really want. We're simply reinventing the American car."

----

"We don't want anyone to think we're leaving anything," Hackett said. "We're just moving to a modern version. This is an exciting new generation of vehicles coming from Ford."

Bill Ford blamed media coverage of the move for negative reaction to it. The automaker revealed its plans as part of its first-quarter earnings report.

"I wish the coverage had been a little different," he said. "If you got beyond the headline, you'll see we're adding to our product lineup and by 2020 we'll have the freshest showroom in the industry. The headlines look like Ford's retreating. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth."
Automotive News

Some of today's crossovers seem more like a reinvention of the minivan. More car-like than a working vehicle, FWD or a token FWD-biased AWD, built for families and their activities, and as big or bigger than a van! They simply sacrifice enough utility and cargo space to avoid resembling a minivan. I suppose there's a lesson in that for automakers.

Some of today's crossovers seem more like a reinvention of the minivan. More car-like than a working vehicle, FWD or a token FWD-biased AWD, built for families and their activities, and as big or bigger than a van! They simply sacrifice enough utility and cargo space to avoid resembling a minivan. I suppose there's a lesson in that for automakers.

What caused the downfall of the minivan? They have become associated with soccer moms and a sort of defeated-domestic sedentary life, and therefore loathsome for just about everybody else that wants to cast even a shred of charisma. Is there another reason other than image? From all accounts they are still quite good at what they do.

If CUVs entirely replace Minivans (granted, this may not happen) or become as ubiquitous as Minivans were in the '90s, will they share the same fate? I've pondered this lately. Maybe the fact that CUV's don't uncompromisingly prostrate themselves to their idol of practicality (anathema to character) will save them. That little token effort at style over substance, even if so superficial, could be the difference.

Last edited:
I remember when it was dumb to buy an SUV, when station wagons clearly had more cargo room. My Odyssey had power, handling and more room over some SUVs.

Funny about that soccer mom comment above. My brother traded in his Macan for a Mustang GT and Escape for his wife. Reason being: ",,,too many soccer moms see it(Macan) as the car to have(in Miami)..."

I remember when it was dumb to buy an SUV, when station wagons clearly had more cargo room. My Odyssey had power, handling and more room over some SUVs.

Funny about that soccer mom comment above. My brother traded in his Macan for a Mustang GT and Escape for his wife. Reason being: ",,,too many soccer moms see it(Macan) as the car to have(in Miami)..."

Swap Miami for any upper-middle to lower-upper class city/county/neighborhood in country and the same holds true. You should should see how many grey German SUVs populate the soccer field parking lots in Marin County, Ca. I've even see a G63 AMG with a 'keep tahoe blue' sticker (next to the obligatory stick family sticker) on it with a 30-something blonde behind the wheel.

The Ford Focus RS starts at just over $41k before you start adding anything. Really?!?! I want some of what Ford's sales division is smoking, there are a lot of other (read: much better) options from other manufacturers at that price point.
I was at my local Ford dealer yesterday getting my Focus SE serviced and saw the ST priced at just uner $20k.

The saddest part about this. I'm looking to replace my WRX soon, and I was willing to consider the next Focus ST if it still checked the right boxes. I really don't care if the car was built in China or Mexico. Ad long as it was decently reliable, and a hoot to drive. With Ford no longer selling cars in the US, I decided to scratch the brand off my list entirely. I too have seen some good deals on the current ST, but I'm not supporting Ford cause they've already said they don't want my business.

What utility is needed really? Also all the CUVs I've looked at before actually opting with what I got had plenty of cargo space for groceries and travel. I'm not (and guessing many in America) aren't looking for something that can trek off road, and be used in terrain unless necessary like winter areas. What people seem to want is a nice looking vehicle, that is big so they feel safer in crashes but also has plenty of space for growing families. Then there are those that just buy them because it's the look these days and that's what they want.

For now I went with a Sedan because that's all I needed, but the vehicle that will replace it in a year or two will most likely be a CUV or mid size SUV.

What utility is needed really? Also all the CUVs I've looked at before actually opting with what I got had plenty of cargo space for groceries and travel. I'm not (and guessing many in America) aren't looking for something that can trek off road, and be used in terrain unless necessary like winter areas. What people seem to want is a nice looking vehicle, that is big so they feel safer in crashes but also has plenty of space for growing families. Then there are those that just buy them because it's the look these days and that's what they want.

For now I went with a Sedan because that's all I needed, but the vehicle that will replace it in a year or two will most likely be a CUV or mid size SUV.
Needs vary, naturally. I just recently replaced a wagon with a sedan, and that has already affected our plans or shopping more than once.

I get the appeal of compact crossovers or "lifted wagon" models. Not so much when they get as big and heavy as a minivan, but without the low floor, open space, or captain's chairs. I can't see the aesthetic appeal, personally. I think their size is very, very unflattering for how they're styled, like they're clearly much bigger than they should be. That's not the case with a minivan (or a plain SUV, which also tends to have better proportions).

Needs vary, naturally. I just recently replaced a wagon with a sedan, and that has already affected our plans or shopping more than once.

Interesting I'm able to get groceries for the month in my sedan while half the space is taken up by a flyer wagon for zoo trips and other outings.

I get the appeal of compact crossovers or "lifted wagon" models. Not so much when they get as big and heavy as a minivan, but without the low floor, open space, or captain's chairs. I can't see the aesthetic appeal, personally. I think their size is very, very unflattering for how they're styled, like they're clearly much bigger than they should be. That's not the case with a minivan (or a plain SUV, which also tends to have better proportions).

I'm confused how are they "clearly much bigger than they should be"?

I'm confused how are they "clearly much bigger than they should be"?
That's how they look to me. As if they took a smaller SUV or hatchback and inflated it, making them more ponderous-looking than almost any other vehicles on the road.

barely any newer than the cars Ford is trying to use it to replace.
Isn't the new Ranger the same thing as the EcoSport, they both have been out for years for rest of the world and need to be replaced with a next gen. but Ford gives it a mild facelift and sell it as new model in the North America.

Last edited:
Isn't the new Ranger the same thing as the EcoSport, they both have been out for years for rest of the world and need to be replaced with a next gen. but Ford gives it a mild facelift and sell it as new model in the North America.

Yup. Most models of "World cars", the US was the last market to get it. Then those models over stayed their welcome as the competition regularly updated their offerings. I wonder if this would still be happening if Ford actually tried to be competitive, instead of what they have done over the years?

Sad and stupid. I'm on the Bow-Tie side, but the same thing is happening. No Cruze SS hatchback for me. For you Blue Oval loyalists, I'll admit that if I could sneak a GT350 in without Mrs. WMS noticing, I'd try. Drivers-wait, not, that's not accurate. If they were "drivers", they'd want some actual driving dynamics. "Consumers" have been told that what they want is a crossover, because that represents an "active" lifestyle. Driving a 2-ton+ 21st century interpretation of a 1974 Ford Country Squire/Chevrolet Kingswood/Buick Estate Wagon does not make you fitter or more attractive, no matter how good the actors in the ads look.
On the plus side, you can buy a "regular" car for nothing. We paid a shade over 11k for a 26k mile CPO 2015 Malibu FROM A CHEVROLET DEALER for Mrs. Wheelmansteve when our '02 Intrigue finally timed out. (I know, no one on this board would drive a Malibu. I have a 6-speed Mazda3 S...)

Back