Forever young...............

  • Thread starter Thread starter ND4SPD
  • 69 comments
  • 39,290 views
Another thing that gives away old cars: 5 MPH bumpers. :p
 
Is it bad that the first thing I thought off when I saw the thread title was Initial D? Is it?

Anyhow, I give you the Subaru SVX. Two piece windows, flowing shape, rather neat interior.

9100-1994-Subaru-SVX.jpg
 
1989-93 Porsche 964
Hasn't changed much :dopey:
Porsche964.jpg

Nice idea, but the 911 line of cars is instantly distinguishable to each decade from which the model came. 60s cars had very clean and simple lines, chrome everywhere, 70s cars kept the lines but started coming in with rubber bumpers, Targa tops and later on rear wings, 80s cars went for the colour-coded look and lost virtually all of the chrome, big wheels, big wings and big haunches, 90s cars got cleaner again, more integrated bumpers as on that 964, then with the 993 we got swoopy curves and a slightly more raked screen. The 996 in the late 90s to the early 00s brought less characterful lines and a very raked screen, with melted-egg lights, and now the 997 has upped the curves and brought us rounded lights again.

And they've steadily been getting bigger, like everything else. Every subsequent 911 makes the previous one look dated, but it doesn't detract from what has always been a fantastic looking car 👍 And the 993 is still the most beautiful of them.

What I will say is that the 60s 911 doesn't look appreciably older than the 80s-mid 90s ones though, it's just that from the 993 till now the design moved on quite quickly:

1967 911S
aDSC03309.jpg


993 - Surely the best looking of the more modern 911s?
porsche993.jpg
 
Wow this thread totally missed its mark - some of these entries are dated as can ever be. I'm sorry, but this has not aged less than 16 years in any possible way:

alfa_75.jpg


In fact, it looks older than it is...

Clocking in at 22 years of age, this thing has aged waaaaay better than that dog of an Alfa Romeo up there...
CorvetteIndy.jpg


And although this car just ended its production cycle, I think that we will look back at it in 20 years and think "yeah, that still looks unbelievably good." Like it or not, it made a big impact on the design world and although I think the new model is a stunner, it doesn't quite capture the simplicity and elegance of the original. The TT:
audi_tt.jpg
 
I agree with the TT.

One other thing I've noticed, is how much of an effect modifications can make to update a car. Even with something from the 80s or 90s that would otherwise be quite dated, the right mods seem to be able to reduce that effect. I mean... what things date a car? Small wheels? Check. Shoddy plastic bumpers? Check. Naff graphics? Check. Unfashionable colours? Check. Nasty light clusters? Check. Crappy plastic trim down the side? Check.

So even something like the Vauxhall Nova...
nova_merit.jpg


Can be modernised by the right little changes...
c_damian_short2.jpg


Doesn't look half as dated does it?

And even this, an S13 Silvia, car of the early 90s:
061.jpg


Doesn't immediately make me think it's an old car. It *is* an older car but it's displaying many modern parts, modern tastes in race graphics, big wheels, a clean (if large) front bumper - not the parts it was originally sold with that date it.

Let me know if I'm onto something here, but if you're going to tell me I'm talking out of my backside at least try and be constructive 👍
 
The only thing I'd say in response is: The second Nova, when (exactly) was it designed? I would contend that the owner has updated it in exactly the same way that manufacturers facelift models. And why do manufacturers facelift models? ;)
 
The only thing I'd say in response is: The second Nova, when (exactly) was it designed? I would contend that the owner has updated it in exactly the same way that manufacturers facelift models. And why do manufacturers facelift models? ;)

To keep them from looking old? :indiff:
 
Cleanest Vauxhall Nova I've seen this side of a Rally car.
 
The only thing I'd say in response is: The second Nova, when (exactly) was it designed? I would contend that the owner has updated it in exactly the same way that manufacturers facelift models. And why do manufacturers facelift models? ;)

Well I don't want to clutter this thread with cars that blatantly don't age well, but both the Novas I posted were of the same generation, both were a facelift of the original Nova.

This is a rather good picture of the previous shape Nova. I chose the red model deliberately because it was the same gen as the nicely modified one, and so as not to bias my point 👍 From what I can find on the net, the Nova was produced from 83-94, and the facelift happened in roughly 88. So it's a car of the late 80s.

And, in my humble opinion, the owner of the blue example I posted has done a very good job of disguising it's age with their tasteful modifications. Had the bumpers been colour-coded, it may have been even more difficult to judge. And what's wrong with giving it the same treatment as a facelift? The car in question isn't actually any different, bodywork wise, to the basic red car above it. It just benefits from better wheels, colour coding, removal of door strips etc.

And off topic, have you seen how much tidy, unmolested ones are going for on ebay? They're almost worthy of buying as an investment.
 
I really like the idea of this thread, as I find myself nodding at a lot of the entries. Some of you are entirely delusional, though. If you can tell which 5-year period a car came from just by looking at it, it fails this test miserably. Consequently, this eliminates even gems like the F40 and Countach.
 
Honda CRX... awesome lines then and now. Still one of the best looking behinds out there (automotive-wise of course)!


 
Amber turn signals, and was that body kit stock? Also the front kinda gives it way as late 80s, early 90s.
 
The Elise GT1 is indeed timeless, but the 400GT shows it's age more than the Atlantique imo.
 
Wow this thread totally missed its mark - some of these entries are dated as can ever be. I'm sorry, but this has not aged less than 16 years in any possible way:
I agree. The majority of these cars need to be thrown out because they look straight out of the seventies. They may still be driven often or be tuned, but that's because they're old. I like early nineties Civics because they look old. Just because you guys like it doesn't mean it looks modern.
 
And, in my humble opinion, the owner of the blue example I posted has done a very good job of disguising it's age with their tasteful modifications. Had the bumpers been colour-coded, it may have been even more difficult to judge. And what's wrong with giving it the same treatment as a facelift? The car in question isn't actually any different, bodywork wise, to the basic red car above it. It just benefits from better wheels, colour coding, removal of door strips etc.

IMO it's the boxy square edged shape and non-flush windows that give this cars age away. No off the shelf modifications can disguise that. On it's own it might seem passable, but put it next to a modern Corsa and it will immediately look every one of it's 20 or so years. The Nova still looks from the same era as the Mk3 Escort and the like.
 
Colani's trucks:

LKW_Colani_Design.jpg
 
Creative windshield wipers.
 
Wow, that's one crazy yet incredibly creative truck cab design. Love the screen wipers - although i bet they'd make you go dizzy watching them!
 
I like Colani's trucks, especially with the streamlined trailer too:

med_LuigiColani-DesignTrucks.jpg


And his latest design is just mental. Yes, it is actually a truck, not a spacecraft:

Colani_truck_3.jpg
 
Wow, some of these suggestions are pretty out there. Countach? Modern? Really?

In my opinion, if you said I could buy one of these today, I'd believe you.
1997%20McLaren%20F1.gif
 
I like Colani's trucks, especially with the streamlined trailer too:

med_LuigiColani-DesignTrucks.jpg


And his latest design is just mental. Yes, it is actually a truck, not a spacecraft:

Colani_truck_3.jpg

Colani's trucks:

LKW_Colani_Design.jpg

Honestly...I hate modern art, and that's what these ugly things remind me of.
 
Not too bad, though if it were released today it'd have bigger wheels (even if it didn't need them) and they'd have hidden the indicators and sidelights in the main light unit.

I know what people will say with my next choice, and again I've chosen it because it's a good example of keeping a car "up to date". Apart from the actual shape of it virtually everything else makes it look like a new car, which of course it is if you happen to live in South Africa.

Volkswagen CitiGolf
1190330993_thumb.jpg

1190330993_pic1.jpg

1190330993_pic2.jpg


Could you hand-on-heart say that that car was originally released in 1974? Even despite the boxy lines it could get away with being a car from the early 1990s at the least.

Honestly...I hate modern art, and that's what these ugly things remind me of.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) Modern art is a bit of a wide subject too. To me, the concept of modern art includes such montrosities as Tracey Emin's dirty bed, the big crack in the floor of the Tate Modern at the moment (which I'd call bad architecture, not good art), paint splatters all over a canvas, a light switching on and off and all sorts of other crap that's won the Turner Prize before.

To me, I appreciate that there's someone out there genuinely trying to change design, turn something that's effectively been a brick on wheels since it was designed into a thing of beauty and taking a necessary item into a new direction 👍
 
That is awesome! I want one!

That in fact is the reverse of this thread. It's a new car that looks old.
 
That is awesome! I want one!

That in fact is the reverse of this thread. It's a new car that looks old.

I suppose you could call it a retro re-make, in which case it just looks like an older car but is in fact new... it's a bit of a paradox really because it certainly doesn't look like a car from the 70s, but then doesn't look new in the same way that new cars do... Whatever, I love it :p
 
I'd like one of those CitiGolfs myself...to go with Mom's '91 Cabrio. The fender flares, in actuality, are identical...front bumper's a bit different, and the roof is fixed, but still, a neat car.

To that end, you've got the Mexican Beetle and Kombi, the former which they stopped making in '03, and the latter which they're still making.
 
I'd like one of those CitiGolfs myself...to go with Mom's '91 Cabrio. The fender flares, in actuality, are identical...front bumper's a bit different, and the roof is fixed, but still, a neat car.

To that end, you've got the Mexican Beetle and Kombi, the former which they stopped making in '03, and the latter which they're still making.

I'd love a CitiGolf, to me it's got a very appealing combination of classic looks, good performance and a good interior.

Sadly I'm pretty sure they've stopped production of the Kombi too now, I seem to remember a year or two ago they came out with the Serie Prata (Silver edition) which was supposed to be their end-of-line model. Yet another classic-yet-new VW I'd love to own, along with an end-of-line Beetle.

Serie Prata
silverex1.jpg

(For the record I'm not including this in my "forever young" choices)

[/off topic]
 
i dont think most of you guys read the thread title (including OP)

613593984_8d71fd3def.jpg


Jaguar XJR15

613595014_d580db5573.jpg


Mega Montecarlo

2211105652_7cf0a9d9e3.jpg


Ferrari F50 GT

blog_silvias15.jpg


Nissan Silvia S15

1998_nissan_r390gt12.jpg


Nissan R390
 
Almost all of those VERY mid-90s. one might spare the Nissans, but the S15's not really old enough to be dated, yet.
 
Back