Forget what you thought: how Driveclub 'tells time'

• Thread starter Moto54
  • 32 comments
United States
United States
What I'm about to show you took a lot of frustration to discover!
Two short vids show differences in line in the same car at the same place.
Why it matters is, the first example is an intuitive line, but slow, while
the second example is how Driveclub wants you to drive the same section.

My assumption was you always need to straighten the course between apex's, so
in the first vid notice that I keep the car from drifting too far right at the point
of shifting from 3rd to 4th (watch the broken white line that divides the road).
Then when shifting from 4th to 5th how I let the car drift out to the right.

Thats how I drove this section for the longest time, and the vid is from a Top 10
run- so its not terrible, but its not the way Driveclub wants you to do it.

The next example shows the pocket of time I found in the same section, and its
from a lap 2 seconds faster than the first one. The logic behind the new line is:
when the engine is making maximum power try to use minimum steering, even if the
line seems longer.

Compare at the same shift between 3rd and 4th! The new line is from another planet!
And then the shift between 4th and 5th the car hugs the left for much much longer.
Notice the shift points and the relationship of the car to the center line.

The way Driveclub 'tells time' is strict in the sense of rewarding one kind of line
above what it rewards another. Once you have the best line the game becomes less
arcade.. you arent grasping at straws (or the handbrake button) in the hopes it will
make you faster. But Driveclub is still software, not reality, so there are areas
where it is less honest about time, so to speak, than pure simulation could be.

When I talk about DC rewarding a certain kind of line its not to say DC is false
or making it up as it goes along. 'Rewarding' just means Driveclub knows what it is
about, and if you want to, you can find out- and be faster than before.
If you dont you dont have to.. but please just dont turn into that
crybaby who posted his crybaby YouTube game review in another thread.
Driveclub can be serious if you want it to be, or not.
But it can be.

Have fun out there.

What I'm about to show you took a lot of frustration to discover!
Two short vids show differences in line in the same car at the same place.
Why it matters is, the first example is an intuitive line, but slow, while
the second example is how Driveclub wants you to drive the same section.

My assumption was you always need to straighten the course between apex's, so
in the first vid notice that I keep the car from drifting too far right at the point
of shifting from 3rd to 4th (watch the broken white line that divides the road).
Then when shifting from 4th to 5th how I let the car drift out to the right.

Thats how I drove this section for the longest time, and the vid is from a Top 10
run- so its not terrible, but its not the way Driveclub wants you to do it.

The next example shows the pocket of time I found in the same section, and its
from a lap 2 seconds faster than the first one. The logic behind the new line is:
when the engine is making maximum power try to use minimum steering, even if the
line seems longer.

Compare at the same shift between 3rd and 4th! The new line is from another planet!
And then the shift between 4th and 5th the car hugs the left for much much longer.
Notice the shift points and the relationship of the car to the center line.

The way Driveclub 'tells time' is strict in the sense of rewarding one kind of line
above what it rewards another. Once you have the best line the game becomes less
arcade.. you arent grasping at straws (or the handbrake button) in the hopes it will
make you faster. But Driveclub is still software, not reality, so there are areas
where it is less honest about time, so to speak, than pure simulation could be.

When I talk about DC rewarding a certain kind of line its not to say DC is false
or making it up as it goes along. 'Rewarding' just means Driveclub knows what it is
about, and if you want to, you can find out- and be faster than before.
If you dont you dont have to.. but please just dont turn into that
crybaby who posted his crybaby YouTube game review in another thread.
Driveclub can be serious if you want it to be, or not.
But it can be.

Have fun out there.

I see all that practice and your world record in the 12c at munnar is being put to good use!!! I didn't think you liked hyper but if that's a 2-48 it can only be the one or la ferrari methinks!!

I see all that practice and your world record in the 12c at munnar is being put to good use!!! I didn't think you liked hyper but if that's a 2-48 it can only be the one or la ferrari methinks!!

You know how it is by now: if Driveclub 'Leaderboard Royalty' shows up on any track then existing
WR's are bound to fall. My 2:48 in the Hennessey is beaten by.. you know? whats his name? his name looks like a bunch of random letters and numbers. He's #1.

I still think you need to publish that book about FV(R). It feels good to 'rule' a place. :)

You know how it is by now: if Driveclub 'Leaderboard Royalty' shows up on any track then existing
WR's are bound to fall. My 2:48 in the Hennessey is beaten by.. you know? whats his name? his name looks like a bunch of random letters and numbers. He's #1.

I still think you need to publish that book about FV(R). It feels good to 'rule' a place. :)
Oh eb4tricky etc etc, yep he is good, maybe better than Ozzy!! 2-48 with the venom, that's mighty impressive! As for the FV(R) book, still work to do there, saw 3 of my records taken last week (I did then get a few new ones). I am still trying to master another track, doing alright with quite a few cars at your Chile observatory one.

I couldn't agree more. I just wish I could view embedded vids, my laptop must be missing an update or something as lately I haven't been able to...

Sterling work though @Moto54
Moto is the best coach for driveclub, shame more top drivers don't share their skills like he does. I think with the competitive side, people sometimes forget it's a game!!

Moto is the best coach for driveclub, shame more top drivers don't share their skills like he does. I think with the competitive side, people sometimes forget it's a game!!
I would like to share my skills. But i'm not a descriptive writer, nor do i like to explain things very often. This is why you often see my laps through videos, in which I've realized doesn't actually help all that much, because giving my footage of a lap through to someone else doesn't help them, more so they try and copy the lines that i take thus resulting in slower laps.

Maybe in some cases they help. But i fail to see how a video of a lap of a track helps people to better judge their lines and braking zones.

I would like to share my skills. But i'm not a descriptive writer, nor do i like to explain things very often. This is why you often see my laps through videos, in which I've realized doesn't actually help all that much, because giving my footage of a lap through to someone else doesn't help them, more so they try and copy the lines that i take thus resulting in slower laps.

Maybe in some cases they help. But i fail to see how a video of a lap of a track helps people to better judge their lines and braking zones.
I know what you mean and believe me you share alot more than most just by putting up videos, which do actually help a little. To be honest, it's the old adage practice makes perfect. The main tip I would give is learn tracks rather than cars, once you learn a track you can race it well in most cars. Talking of which, have you got any more of Kie25's one world records???? Sure you could get a few more the way you drive. I am less than half a second on a few and you are way faster than I am!

I know what you mean and believe me you share alot more than most just by putting up videos, which do actually help a little. To be honest, it's the old adage practice makes perfect. The main tip I would give is learn tracks rather than cars, once you learn a track you can race it well in most cars. Talking of which, have you got any more of Kie25's one world records???? Sure you could get a few more the way you drive. I am less than half a second on a few and you are way faster than I am!

Learning a track is simple enough, but the cars is what gets most, every one of them have different handling characteristics, so some have shorter or longer braking points, some understeer, and some oversteer etc etc...

My most recent world record would be with the One:1 at Munnar. I haven't had any since then.

ACTUALLY tell a lie. I got one at one of the Autodromos i think 03. :)

Learning a track is simple enough, but the cars is what gets most, every one of them have different handling characteristics, so some have shorter or longer braking points, some understeer, and some oversteer etc etc...

My most recent world record would be with the One:1 at Munnar. I haven't had any since then.

ACTUALLY tell a lie. I got one at one of the Autodromos i think 03. :)
Not surprised you got Munnar after your death racer destruction in the Mazzanti there!! See Moto was after eb4tricky's record in the venom there. Have you beat eb4 yet anywhere??

Not surprised you got Munnar after your death racer destruction in the Mazzanti there!! See Moto was after eb4tricky's record in the venom there. Have you beat eb4 yet anywhere??
I believe i have, i just can't remember. I too was going for the Venom record too, and was ahead of tiky in the first and second sector. The third one screwed me over and put me 3rd or something like that.

I was at least a second in front on the 1st Sector in Munnar. But tiky managed to catch me in the second sector and i was staying with him, only until i managed to scrape a wall and then i was done for.

With a little more dedication. I can definitely beat him on there.

Moto is the best coach for driveclub.

Thanks pal.

If I only raced against the AI I would not care about laptimes at all.
As it is I never race the AI. The downside to that for me is, I am very aware of-
like the thread title says, 'how driveclub tells time', and I have gray areas
about that subject.

I am not so silly to chase behind whatever game is supposed to be the most sim.
But the issue of time is something I take seriously. At Bandipur(R).. there is
one true corner before you see the first split, and yet the game makes a huge fuss
about how it tells time there. Sometimes I am many tenths slower, or even more,
even though the line feels just fine.

I've talked about this before, about how the programming leaves me guessing and
a little and uncertain. Anyone who thinks Driveclub tells laptimes in a purely neutral
way is simpleminded, IMO. Thats why I've decided to compare DC to F1 2015 in terms of
how they tell time. Its nothing to do with the sim/arcade debate. Its only
about the integrity of laptimes.

I've had Driveclub since May 6th (bought my PS4 the same day), and I've really
enjoyed it (though like many I have tracks I do not relate to at all.)
And Ive been #2 on the F1 2010 leaderboard Monaco when there were waayyy over 100k
entrants.. so I'm not a stranger to the question of timekeeping.
This tuesday I'll have F1 2015 and can compare.

I am not a racing game programmer, but I do know they have to decide how laptimes
will work.. they have to decide. Its a conscious process. It doesnt happen by itself.
I dont know if timekeeping in DC has a few percent arcade-type features to make it
feel more interesting, but I need to compare games and decide for myself. FWIW I dont
care about the AI in F1 2015 either!

Bottom line: I dont think time should be messed with or 'improved' for the
sake of gameplay.

FB_IMG_1437420989593.jpg

Thanks pal.

If I only raced against the AI I would not care about laptimes at all.
As it is I never race the AI. The downside to that for me is, I am very aware of-
like the thread title says, 'how driveclub tells time', and I have gray areas
about that subject.

I am not so silly to chase behind whatever game is supposed to be the most sim.
But the issue of time is something I take seriously. At Bandipur(R).. there is
one true corner before you see the first split, and yet the game makes a huge fuss
about how it tells time there. Sometimes I am many tenths slower, or even more,
even though the line feels just fine.

I've talked about this before, about how the programming leaves me guessing and
a little and uncertain. Anyone who thinks Driveclub tells laptimes in a purely neutral
way is simpleminded, IMO. Thats why I've decided to compare DC to F1 2015 in terms of
how they tell time. Its nothing to do with the sim/arcade debate. Its only
about the integrity of laptimes.

I've had Driveclub since May 6th (bought my PS4 the same day), and I've really
enjoyed it (though like many I have tracks I do not relate to at all.)
And Ive been #2 on the F1 2010 leaderboard Monaco when there were waayyy over 100k
entrants.. so I'm not a stranger to the question of timekeeping.
This tuesday I'll have F1 2015 and can compare.

I am not a racing game programmer, but I do know they have to decide how laptimes
will work.. they have to decide. Its a conscious process. It doesnt happen by itself.
I dont know if timekeeping in DC has a few percent arcade-type features to make it
feel more interesting, but I need to compare games and decide for myself. FWIW I dont
care about the AI in F1 2015 either!

Bottom line: I dont think time should be messed with or 'improved' for the
sake of gameplay.
Took me by surprise when I saw the above leaderboard!! I didn't think you got online Moto, great to see your name up there!!

Took me by surprise when I saw the above leaderboard!! I didn't think you got online Moto, great to see your name up there!!

I dont know how that happened! Weird and funny.. maybe when I was downloading the day 1 patch
for F1 2015 it happened. But I honestly dont know.

Speaking of F1 2015 I have to say the framerate alone (60 fps) makes a huge difference in gameplay.
I went back to DC and it looked like a slideshow. The price F1 2015 pays is that there is a lot of screen
tearing. But the FFB effects are pretty good.

Thanks for posting that leaderboard! I saved the pic onto my laptop to remind me of those hectic
days.

I dont know how that happened! Weird and funny.. maybe when I was downloading the day 1 patch
for F1 2015 it happened. But I honestly dont know.

Speaking of F1 2015 I have to say the framerate alone (60 fps) makes a huge difference in gameplay.
I went back to DC and it looked like a slideshow. The price F1 2015 pays is that there is a lot of screen
tearing. But the FFB effects are pretty good.

Thanks for posting that leaderboard! I saved the pic onto my laptop to remind me of those hectic
days.
I dare not buy another racing game until GT7 comes out, driveclub has stolen enough of my life!! I now have 45 bloody world records on fraser valley reverse, I need to get a life!!

tearing. But the FFB effects are pretty good...

Project Cars is also a relatively steady 60 fps on PS4 but I can't really say it makes much of a difference to my eyes compared to DriveClub.
The important part for me as far as perceiving a lower fps game as smooth is as close to a rock steady 30 fps as possible (and I seem to recall tests showing that DriveClub never wavers), and no odd, buggy frame pacing issues causing micro stuttering even at a steady frame rate.

I dare not buy another racing game until GT7 comes out, driveclub has stolen enough of my life!! I now have 45 bloody world records on fraser valley reverse, I need to get a life!!
Arghhhh! Frasers reversed,i just can't gel with it,and yet a love Frasers standard,it's my goto track inbetween multiplayer events when you have a couple of minutes to spare:)

Arghhhh! Frasers reversed,i just can't gel with it,and yet a love Frasers standard,it's my goto track inbetween multiplayer events when you have a couple of minutes to spare:)
Indeed I am absolutely hopeless on fraser standard, mind I've only done a handful of laps on it. Set me a challenge on it, it will make me learn it a little better.

Guess I should beat all those times on reversed :) lol
Haha, obviously I know if you have the time to waste you could. I think you already have the P1 record. If you want a good challenge try and beat my dynamic weather time on BHR2 that I got the other day. I am pretty sure I can drop it to low 59 but lets see if you can get under 59 seconds!!!

Haha, obviously I know if you have the time to waste you could. I think you already have the P1 record. If you want a good challenge try and beat my dynamic weather time on BHR2 that I got the other day. I am pretty sure I can drop it to low 59 but lets see if you can get under 59 seconds!!!
Haha okay then ;)

Just got a 59.778. Got past you ;) just DeathRacer now

Edit: 59.759 lol 0.003 in front of DeathRacer

Last edited:
That didn't take long. Blimey he didn't waste any time, I only dethroned him Saturday night!!
My best splits were about 59.3 and I never got that first chicane perfect so you can def break 59. The actual record in dry is only 58 something, you should go for that!!

It would be nice if Driveclub sent you a notice if your No.1 time had been beaten,or automatically sent a challenge out to the top 10 when some set a new record.What do you think?

It would be nice if Driveclub sent you a notice if your No.1 time had been beaten,or automatically sent a challenge out to the top 10 when some set a new record.What do you think?
Agree, although some people, yes that's you death racer ;-), and Gazmati, are so quick to reclaim records it feels like they do get an advice!!!

Project Cars is also a relatively steady 60 fps on PS4 but I can't really say it makes much of a difference to my eyes compared to DriveClub.

I've been racing Driveclub like mad using the new cars and yeah, the framerate issue is not so huge
as it seemed to me at first. The higher the better, but the brain will adjust to whatever you got.

Speaking of the new cars, McPartyman will you PLEASE post the leaderboard for Chile.. its the very
last track.. #3 'autodromo' or whatever. In the Ferrari FXXK. ?? yes? I want to know if a 42:56 is any
good or not.

EDIT:
I actually almost made a new post about how much I am loving Driveclub again, after giving
F1 2015 a try. You know, DC has some incredibly good things going for it!

We may need to run a few more contests :)
That FXXK is something special, and the new McLaren aint half bad either!

Last edited:
They are both great to drive, ferrari is slightly faster Mclaren easier to control. I predict a few one/one records will fall. Will post autodromo 3 Leaderboard tomo Moto, out on the lash celebrating my birthday at the mo. Driveclub is in my opinion, second to none, as addictive as anything I've ever played!!

Back