Forget YLOD, has anyone else been getting this?

• Thread starter tdk
  • 45 comments

tdk

(Banned)
AjKnight666
Things have been peachy until I got GT5. Ever since I bought it though, my PS3 seems to freeze a lot and I've been getting hard disk errors. One time, after I start it I get nothing but the snowflakes. I restored to default settings with the 5 second hold and it worked. A couple of days ago, I got an error that says the system file is corrupt and needs to be restored. I did that, it worked. Just yesterday, I got an error that says the hard disk's database needs to be rebuilt so I clicked "ok" because I had no choice. It worked fine as well.

Now, the hard disk file system is corrupt error keeps coming up right after I restore it. It's an endless loop :(

I haven't backed up my GT5 saved file after I won all the seasonal event races :'(

Has this happened to anyone?

Edit-

I can't believe I'm gonna have to do the GTR and Focus challenge again :(

Does anybody know whether or not the "file system" on a hard disk is unique to each PS3? I could try to pull out the disk, case it and copy a working file on it or something :(

tdk
Does anybody know whether or not the "file system" on a hard disk is unique to each PS3? I could try to pull out the disk, case it and copy a working file on it or something :(

I don't think that's even possible. The Format system is unique to PS3 so if you were gonna clone from another drive, the software likely wouldn't even see it.

I think the reason it died is just that GT5 is a very hard-drive heavy game.

It uses a system that formats hard drives to the motherboard of the PS3 it was formatted too. The only way to move the motherboard restriciton is to buy another PS3 and do the data transfer. That's probably not necessary in your case, so the other option you have is to perform a data backup from the PS3 system to an external HDD. Then you have to buy a new 2.5" hard drive and replace it, then restore your data backup.

If you can't get the PS3 to boot properly, there really is nothing that can be done to recover any recent data you have lost. You'll just have to go buy a new hard drive and back up what you have.

My PS3 Ylod's BIG TIME last night. I already repaired it twice but I think this one is the big one.

I'm curious if the online profile will sync up to a new game install. My online profile on the GT website has all my progress listed, but does anyone know if that is a two way communication or is it just showing what my save game had at the last connection?

The hard drives used in the PS3 have the same form factor as those used in a laptop. You could try using a case and then hook it up to a PC. I'm not sure if the PS3 uses FAT/FAT32, but if it does then you should be able to copy the hard drive contents to a new one. Chances are your current PS3 hard drive is damaged and as a result data is being corrupted. This can happen if your PS3 is turned off suddenly whilst it's accessing the hard drive. The disk surface gets damaged and so data loss occurs. On the plus side, changing a new hard drive is easy and they aren't too expensive. Remember, they have the same form factor as most laptop hard drives. Best of luck.

The hard drives used in the PS3 have the same form factor as those used in a laptop. You could try using a case and then hook it up to a PC. I'm not sure if the PS3 uses FAT/FAT32, but if it does then you should be able to copy the hard drive contents to a new one. Chances are your current PS3 hard drive is damaged and as a result data is being corrupted. This can happen if your PS3 is turned off suddenly whilst it's accessing the hard drive. The disk surface gets damaged and so data loss occurs. On the plus side, changing a new hard drive is easy and they aren't too expensive. Remember, they have the same form factor as most laptop hard drives. Best of luck.

Each hard drive is specific to each PS3. It's FAT32, but it isn't readable by anything other than the PS3 it was pulled from. It's part of the PS3 security. If your PS3 is done, your data is gone as well.

If you can start your PS3, use the back up utility or the data transfer utility. Of course, the transfer utility usefulness is questionable since few people will buy a new PS3 while still in possession of a functioning one. Like me, most people will want to use this utility once their PS3 tanks.

It uses a system that formats hard drives to the motherboard of the PS3 it was formatted too. The only way to move the motherboard restriciton is to buy another PS3 and do the data transfer. That's probably not necessary in your case, so the other option you have is to perform a data backup from the PS3 system to an external HDD. Then you have to buy a new 2.5" hard drive and replace it, then restore your data backup.

If you can't get the PS3 to boot properly, there really is nothing that can be done to recover any recent data you have lost. You'll just have to go buy a new hard drive and back up what you have.
Don't I have to get my current PS3 to work in order to transfer the files to a new one?

I'm curious if the online profile will sync up to a new game install. My online profile on the GT website has all my progress listed, but does anyone know if that is a two way communication or is it just showing what my save game had at the last connection?
I'd like to know that as well. I'm like, level 25 now but if I restore the saved game it'll go back to level 21???

Actually yes, that's what happened but I had no choice. PS3 completely froze for 10 minutes I could not do anything.

Maybe low on disk space ?
Yeah, only 200 gigs low -.-

Each hard drive is specific to each PS3. It's FAT32, but it isn't readable by anything other than the PS3 it was pulled from. It's part of the PS3 security. If your PS3 is done, your data is gone as well.

If you can start your PS3, use the back up utility or the data transfer utility. Of course, the transfer utility usefulness is questionable since few people will buy a new PS3 while still in possession of a functioning one. Like me, most people will want to use this utility once their PS3 tanks.
I can't start my PS3 that's the problem :(

I can't even get into safe mode anymore. This couldn't have happened in a worse time, I'm going to be **** busy this whole week.

Acutally, Not Quite.

In windows there are a few options like: Display hidden files, and Display protected OS files.
I believe that if you have those 2 options enabled when the PS3's drive is plugged in, you can copy all of the data to another formatted drive.

As long as it is FAT or FAT32, then the Windows PC WILL read the disk.

Acutally, Not Quite.

In windows there are a few options like: Display hidden files, and Display protected OS files.
I believe that if you have those 2 options enabled when the PS3's drive is plugged in, you can copy all of the data to another formatted drive.

As long as it is FAT or FAT32, then the Windows PC WILL read the disk.

Have you tried my mang? I would kiss you if I can view the files from the disk and copy them :(

Anyone tried to access PS3's internal hard disk before?

edit-

I wish I had the YLOD so I could just fix it temporarily, back up my data and buy a new one :(

Last edited:
You can create an image of the disc on the PC fairly easily I've heard. I've also heard that once the data goes onto a new HDD and into the PS3 the data is lost as the disc is reformatted to the motherboard. I think there's nothing you can really do to fix it, which really is unfortunate. At least when I got YLOD a week ago I managed to fix the thing and transfer the data to a new slim.

I think you're just going to have to admit to the loss and move on, I don't think there's any way to possibly retain your files. At least you have a semi recent backup.

Well, this blows. FML.

Thanks for the reply guys. The lesson here is to back up your entire PS3 hard disk at least once week, and your frequently played video game's save file every time you want to turn it off :(

Yup !!
I've been in the same exact situation bro..

It was during the last days of prologue, the menus become unresponsive and frozen sometimes.
Finally when I got my GT5 copy, that's it... My hdd gave up :(

Replacing the hdd is my solution.
One thing you should notice, the replacement hdd should have power rating 5V and under 500mA. I replace the failed one with samsung, its not working (give the same error), because the samsung hdd is 840mA. I changed again with anothe seagate, 430mA, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks. My problem isn't getting the PS3 to work again, I can deal with that in 5 minutes I just want my data back but it seems impossible now.

I've just restored to my september 20th backup :(

edit-

WHAT ON ****ING EARTH WAS THAT MY BACKUP SEEMS TO LEAD ME BACK THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD IN THE BEGINNNG THAT DIDNT EVEN START UNTIL TWO WEEKS AGO HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE

WOW

Last edited:
TDK, I can help you. Last week my power went out while I was playing GT5. Turned back on and got "the hard disk file system is corrupt and will be restored"

If you can get to that message then I can help you. If you can't see that message then I can't.

When you're getting this message it means that something was being written to the hdd when power was cut short. Therefore it corrupts it and makes the drive no longer accessible.

What you need to do to fix this is fairly simple with a little knowledge. The first thing you're going to need is a piece of software. It is from Seagate and called "Seatools". You will need the DOS version in the downloads section. What this software will allow you to do is test and fix bad sectors within the drive. Bad sectors are what is keeping it from being read. Please read all the info on the site, instructions and all, by clicking the "see tutorial" and "learn more" links. After downloading, you will have to make it into a bootable ISO file. If you don't know what that is or how to make that happen, the link I provided up there has all that info on it, or you can google it. After you have you disk made proceed.

You need to remove your hard drive from the ps3. You then need to connect the ps3 hard drive to the inside of a pc. desktop is easiest. If you need those steps just ask, I'm going to assume you know how to do that.

Now with the drive connected and the disk you made in your PC drive, start up your computer and boot from disk. I'm also going to assume you know how to do that. It will then boot the Seatools user interface. If you read the instructions then you know how to proceed. Make sure the ps3 drive has the checkmark beside it and not your PC's hard drive. PS3 drives that are original Seagate drives will start with "ST". Once checkmarked, run the "long test". It could take as long as 2 hours depending on how large the drive is and how much space is used. My 60gig was half used and took 45 minutes. While it is working you will see the errors being found. Mine had 5. After the test is done you will have the option of fixing the bad sectors found. With a lot of errors there is a chance you lose some data because if "fixes" the sectors by zero filling them, which means deleting the data and filling them with a good, unused sector. Once you select fix the errors it will then run a test and tell you whether or not it passes. My drive after fixing the sectors, passed. Once passed, remove the drive, properly of course(shut down PC, unplug, etc). Put the drive back in the ps3, power on. You will get the error message again, but this time when it does its thing, it will have actually restored this time. It will come up to the select language screen, setup network, and then it will tell you data was found on the drive and the users (listed below) have data that will be restored. All of the users have asterisks beside the name, which is beside the point, and I don't know why. It doesn't matter really. Bam now you are back to "normal". You better make a save of your current game saves immediately. Your drive has bad sectors on it and once that happens it is just a matter of time before it happens again. My drive lasted all of about 6 "on" hours after fixing before corrupting again, and this time it wasn't due to power being cut off. You do need a new hard drive but this method will allow you enough time to get your saves.

My drive corrupted not 5 hours before the 1.05 update was released so you can imagine how I felt. I was at level 26 and the backup feature wasn't even active yet. I scoured the net for hours trying to find a method of recovering my data. Everyone, and I mean everyone said to just wipe the drive, you're just SOL. Don't listen man, I didn't and now I have my data on my other ps3. I lost nothing at all.

If you have any questions at all please reply or feel free to PM me too.
GOOD LUCK :)

tdk
Don't I have to get my current PS3 to work in order to transfer the files to a new one?

tdk
Thanks. My problem isn't getting the PS3 to work again, I can deal with that in 5 minutes I just want my data back but it seems impossible now.

I'm confused now. You have said that you can't get your ps3 working, and that getting the ps3 working isn't the issue.

Also, the backup save feature wasn't even activated until Dec. 20th so did you say it took you back to Sept. 20th in the game or was that your ps3 backup utility save?

TDK, I can help you. Last week my power went out while I was playing GT5. Turned back on and got "the hard disk file system is corrupt and will be restored"

If you can get to that message then I can help you. If you can't see that message then I can't.

When you're getting this message it means that something was being written to the hdd when power was cut short. Therefore it corrupts it and makes the drive no longer accessible.

What you need to do to fix this is fairly simple with a little knowledge. The first thing you're going to need is a piece of software. It is from Seagate and called "Seatools". You will need the DOS version in the downloads section. What this software will allow you to do is test and fix bad sectors within the drive. Bad sectors are what is keeping it from being read. Please read all the info on the site, instructions and all, by clicking the "see tutorial" and "learn more" links. After downloading, you will have to make it into a bootable ISO file. If you don't know what that is or how to make that happen, the link I provided up there has all that info on it, or you can google it. After you have you disk made proceed.

You need to remove your hard drive from the ps3. You then need to connect the ps3 hard drive to the inside of a pc. desktop is easiest. If you need those steps just ask, I'm going to assume you know how to do that.

Now with the drive connected and the disk you made in your PC drive, start up your computer and boot from disk. I'm also going to assume you know how to do that. It will then boot the Seatools user interface. If you read the instructions then you know how to proceed. Make sure the ps3 drive has the checkmark beside it and not your PC's hard drive. PS3 drives that are original Seagate drives will start with "ST". Once checkmarked, run the "long test". It could take as long as 2 hours depending on how large the drive is and how much space is used. My 60gig was half used and took 45 minutes. While it is working you will see the errors being found. Mine had 5. After the test is done you will have the option of fixing the bad sectors found. With a lot of errors there is a chance you lose some data because if "fixes" the sectors by zero filling them, which means deleting the data and filling them with a good, unused sector. Once you select fix the errors it will then run a test and tell you whether or not it passes. My drive after fixing the sectors, passed. Once passed, remove the drive, properly of course(shut down PC, unplug, etc). Put the drive back in the ps3, power on. You will get the error message again, but this time when it does its thing, it will have actually restored this time. It will come up to the select language screen, setup network, and then it will tell you data was found on the drive and the users (listed below) have data that will be restored. All of the users have asterisks beside the name, which is beside the point, and I don't know why. It doesn't matter really. Bam now you are back to "normal". You better make a save of your current game saves immediately. Your drive has bad sectors on it and once that happens it is just a matter of time before it happens again. My drive lasted all of about 6 "on" hours after fixing before corrupting again, and this time it wasn't due to power being cut off. You do need a new hard drive but this method will allow you enough time to get your saves.

My drive corrupted not 5 hours before the 1.05 update was released so you can imagine how I felt. I was at level 26 and the backup feature wasn't even active yet. I scoured the net for hours trying to find a method of recovering my data. Everyone, and I mean everyone said to just wipe the drive, you're just SOL. Don't listen man, I didn't and now I have my data on my other ps3. I lost nothing at all.

If you have any questions at all please reply or feel free to PM me too.
GOOD LUCK :)
Good god, why didn't you post earlier :(

I got so frustrated I said **** it and just went ahead and reformatted :(

Thanks though, that was really useful. I actually feel sort of good even though I'm still screwed lol.

I'm confused now. You have said that you can't get your ps3 working, and that getting the ps3 working isn't the issue.

Also, the backup save feature wasn't even activated until Dec. 20th so did you say it took you back to Sept. 20th in the game or was that your ps3 backup utility save?
Yeah you're confused.

My PS3 wasn't working and it wasn't going to work without formatting the hard disk (which I could do in 10 minutes). So to rephrase my sentences, the PS3 won't let me in the XMB without the formatting solution (Which I could do easily but I wanted another solution that'd let me keep my stuff).

Oh and about the backup thing. Yeah my latest GT5 backup was the day of the update before I entered the seasonal and extreme events. The last PS3 system back up (users, music, images, etc) was in september so I didn't lose anything but the GT5, NFS HP and F12010's data...which is actually quite sad :(

I will now start from level 20 again and hope I get another FGT and C9. I also forgot my winning set up for the GTR challenge :(

Had I saw it sooner I would've posted.:) Sorry you had to do that but at least you had a save. I damn near lost my entire save.

Btw, there is an FGT in the online dealership so it should be easy to grab once you have the cr.

Good Luck

Sorry to bump this but,,

I'm starting to have the same problems all over again, now the PS3 takes 3 minutes to load the XMB. Is this level related? Is it my hard drive? I'm tired of getting to level 26 and having to backup/format :(

How many fat PS3 users are experiencing similar problems? If you're on a fat one (pardon the pun) and everything runs smoothly, please raise your e-hand.

edit-

Also, loading up GT5 takes 15 minutes.

I have a fat one that was refurbed from Sony about 6 months after release (origional was fried by the tv through the AV cable. Seriously, watch out for rear projector big screens!). I have NOT patched the game at all yet (no net at home and too lazy to take to buddies. the one with the evil TV!!!!!)

Perhaps the issue is with one of the patches???? I have had ZERO issues with my system so far on GT5 or any other game.

Hey tdk, just seen this thread. I have had exactly the same problem since I got GT5.

My PS3 froze and I had to pull the power. For the following week, my PS3 would boot up and say the hard disk is corrupted and needs to be restored.

I did this each time and it would fix the problem. Sometimes it would do the fix once, sometimes it needed to do it twice.

Unfortunately it finally decided that this wouldn't fix the problem and was stuck in an endless loop.

This was before the update which unlocked the save files and I had never backed up my PS3.

I tried to mount the HDD in my desktop, but the PC will not even recognize it until you initialize it. Which, as soon as you do that, the PS3 will no longer read it until the drive is formatted.

So I had to bite the bullet. Formatted my PS3, lost everything. Thankfully the week before I had just earned the platinum trophy on AC:2 so didn't have to start that again...

I was level 14 on GT5 and this was before the seasonal events so it had taken me quite a while.

Once I formatted the drive, it all worked hunky dory until I turned it off for the night. The next day, same issue. Had to do it all again.

At this point I decided to not play GT until they unlocked the save file (Week before update at this point). I was not about to backup my PS3 every night just for that.

Which brings me too today. Each time GT5 needs an update, I do a full PS3 backup. Each night I do a save file backup. If I leave my PS3 on, I never have a problem. But as soon as I turn it off and leave it a while, it either needs a file system restore or a format and restore.

Basically, we have had exactly the same issue, except mine is on a slim 250GB PS3 just out of warranty (Samsung Drive). I will be buying a new HDD at the end of the month to put an end to this.

I feel for you man. It killed me to lose EVERYTHING. Only solution I have for you is a new HDD. In the meantime, do as I do. Full PS3 backup each GT5 update to save on the stupidly long download/install times. Then each night, backup your save file.

I am level 24 now on GT and I have been through 4 formats and countless repairs... But I have learnt my lesson, as I guess you have.

Regards

A fellow Mad/Sad PS3 owner.

PS. Sometimes my XMB will not load and I don't get an error message either. Just the snow flurries. Have to then go into safe mode to repair... This happens quite often also.

Last edited:
Don't ever pull the plug! Just press the power button, the PS3 will eventually power down.

Pull the plug and you'll corrupt the game/save data.

Maybe it's time for a brand new HD....

I have a fat one that was refurbed from Sony about 6 months after release (origional was fried by the tv through the AV cable. Seriously, watch out for rear projector big screens!). I have NOT patched the game at all yet (no net at home and too lazy to take to buddies. the one with the evil TV!!!!!)

Perhaps the issue is with one of the patches???? I have had ZERO issues with my system so far on GT5 or any other game.
Well, it only started happening after the latest patch. 1.05 I think. I don't think that's the deal though.

Hey tdk, just seen this thread. I have had exactly the same problem since I got GT5.

My PS3 froze and I had to pull the power. For the following week, my PS3 would boot up and say the hard disk is corrupted and needs to be restored.

I did this each time and it would fix the problem. Sometimes it would do the fix once, sometimes it needed to do it twice.

Unfortunately it finally decided that this wouldn't fix the problem and was stuck in an endless loop.

This was before the update which unlocked the save files and I had never backed up my PS3.

I tried to mount the HDD in my desktop, but the PC will not even recognize it until you initialize it. Which, as soon as you do that, the PS3 will no longer read it until the drive is formatted.

So I had to bite the bullet. Formatted my PS3, lost everything. Thankfully the week before I had just earned the platinum trophy on AC:2 so didn't have to start that again...

I was level 14 on GT5 and this was before the seasonal events so it had taken me quite a while.

Once I formatted the drive, it all worked hunky dory until I turned it off for the night. The next day, same issue. Had to do it all again.

At this point I decided to not play GT until they unlocked the save file (Week before update at this point). I was not about to backup my PS3 every night just for that.

Which brings me too today. Each time GT5 needs an update, I do a full PS3 backup. Each night I do a save file backup. If I leave my PS3 on, I never have a problem. But as soon as I turn it off and leave it a while, it either needs a file system restore or a format and restore.

Basically, we have had exactly the same issue, except mine is on a slim 250GB PS3 just out of warranty (Samsung Drive). I will be buying a new HDD at the end of the month to put an end to this.

I feel for you man. It killed me to lose EVERYTHING. Only solution I have for you is a new HDD. In the meantime, do as I do. Full PS3 backup each GT5 update to save on the stupidly long download/install times. Then each night, backup your save file.

I am level 24 now on GT and I have been through 4 formats and countless repairs... But I have learnt my lesson, as I guess you have.

Regards

A fellow Mad/Sad PS3 owner.

PS. Sometimes my XMB will not load and I don't get an error message either. Just the snow flurries. Have to then go into safe mode to repair... This happens quite often also.
****. So it's not the fat PS3 I suppose. It's a corrupt HDD? Is it bad sectors? I don't think it's bad sectors, that doesn't slow down your system it makes it inaccessible and so far I can access it, just very slowly.

FML. I might just get a new HDD and get it over with.

tdk
Well, it only started happening after the latest patch. 1.05 I think. I don't think that's the deal though.

****. So it's not the fat PS3 I suppose. It's a corrupt HDD? Is it bad sectors? I don't think it's bad sectors, that doesn't slow down your system it makes it inaccessible and so far I can access it, just very slowly.

FML. I might just get a new HDD and get it over with.

Well formatting the drive would zero bad sectors. so it cant be that. Probably a dodgy HDD. like you said, time for a new one...

And to Coolcolj... Sometimes when it crashes/freezes, it will never power down. Pressing it once or holding it just gives you triple beeps...

Well formatting the drive would zero bad sectors. so it cant be that. Probably a dodgy HDD. like you said, time for a new one...

And to Coolcolj... Sometimes when it crashes/freezes, it will never power down. Pressing it once or holding it just gives you triple beeps...

Turning it off will be fine so long as it's not writing to disk. Basically, if the HDD light is on, leave it 'til it settles down.

@tdk: Don't give up!

Your hard drive is obviously knackered. Maybe it's had a bad life, a few impacts, whatever. Try to get it cleaned up again using Seatools and don't use it until you've backed it up (preferably using a proper "make image" option, or similar, somewhere - the PS3 might try to access / save stuff before doing the backup, introducing the risk of corruption again) and buy a new (or borrow a known working) 2.5" SATA I (1.5 Gb/s) hard-drive. Copy the image to the new disk (clean if necessary) and shove it in the PS3 for it to do its "magic" on.

If your current disk is bad, writing to it is a bad idea, since you'll only make it worse. If you go down the "borrow a known working" route then you can be sure of the fault before buying a new hard-drive. :)

Latest Posts

Back