Former gripper in need of a little guidance.

• Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 22 comments
Well guys, tonight I thought I would try the drifting scene to see what its all about. Not knowing where to start, I looked in the FAQ (imagine that). I am driving a 240SX, I figured that would be a decent starting car. But anyway I'm a little confused at whats going on. The FAQ's and misc threads got me a setup that will kinda drift a little but my problem is that when I enter the corner, I get HORRENDOUS understeer followed by a small powerslide, then huge snap oversteer. I'm at a loss mainly because drifting goes against what I normally do. If anyone could guide me a little it would be great. If it matters, heres my current setup that will probably be changing soon.

Springs 8.3/7.2
Height 110/110
Bound/Rebound 4/4/4/4
Camber 3.3
Stabilizer 3/3

LSD:
Initial 45
Acc 60
Dec 50

I think that this is a decent(?) starting point? Hopefully? :scared:

I'll try that but I thought I wanted stiff front for faster turn in? This is really frustrating not knowing how to do this, it just doesnt seem as natural as driving fast.

It's your spring rates. The fronts are usually supposed to be softer than the rears. Maybe say F:6.3 R:8.7? Try something in that range.

I wouldn't say that at all. Infact, I usually go the other way around. something like 11/9.

Also, Boz Mon you need to check out the faqs. They WILL help a lot with getting started.

In the guides, there's an example setup for an S2000. Use that, so that you don't have to worry that your setup doesn't work, because you know it does. That's what I started with, and I'm better off. (FR drift guide I believe)

I wouldn't say that at all. Infact, I usually go the other way around. something like 11/9.

Also, Boz Mon you need to check out the faqs. They WILL help a lot with getting started.

I sayed its more about preferance then, because I go with something like what Forte EXE has, oh well, diffently keep using the facts.👍

Everybody has different driving styles and such. Like some people want cars that can just power over and some want lift off and others want agressive weight transfers. Your driving style will decide the type of suspension setup you use.

Everybody has different driving styles and such. Like some people want cars that can just power over and some want lift off and others want agressive weight transfers. Your driving style will decide the type of suspension setup you use.

I sayed its more about preferance then, because I go with something like what Forte EXE has, oh well, diffently keep using the facts.👍

I can't argue with either of you there. Just that I find it easier with the front as the pivot point. :)

Well guys, tonight I thought I would try the drifting scene to see what its all about. Not knowing where to start, I looked in the FAQ (imagine that). I am driving a 240SX, I figured that would be a decent starting car. But anyway I'm a little confused at whats going on. The FAQ's and misc threads got me a setup that will kinda drift a little but my problem is that when I enter the corner, I get HORRENDOUS understeer followed by a small powerslide, then huge snap oversteer. I'm at a loss mainly because drifting goes against what I normally do. If anyone could guide me a little it would be great. If it matters, heres my current setup that will probably be changing soon.

Springs 8.3/7.2
Height 110/110
Bound/Rebound 4/4/4/4
Camber 3.3
Stabilizer 3/3

LSD:
Initial 45
Acc 60
Dec 50

I think that this is a decent(?) starting point? Hopefully? :scared:

you should try original suspension from hks factory or blitz one of those you know what i mean so you don't have yo do bound and rebound just do one damper and make your rear a lil stiffer and the front for example:f6 r8

yeah i was actually listening to a conversion about drifting one day and it sounded pretty interesting and hopefully it can help you out BOZ MON.

Pro drifter: "its called drifting"
person: "what do you mean drift"
Pro drifter: "the cars are lighter the tires are slick"
(shows him a video of drifting in his cell phone)
Pro drifter: "WHEN you drift, If your not out of control your not in control"
persosn: (begins to understand what drifting is like)
Pro dirfter: "need a dictionary?"

lol J/k :) I mean theres alot to say when it comes to GT4 drifting, but check out the Weekly Drift series (WDS) in this forum, and that will showcase various types of techniques to enter a corner drifting.

you should try original suspension from hks factory or blitz one of those you know what i mean so you don't have yo do bound and rebound just do one damper and make your rear a lil stiffer and the front for example:f6 r8

Racing Suspension would be better IMO. and stock settings FTW!!!!!

It's better not to mess with settings in the "learning phase". Just a stock Supra RZ with N2 tyres is more than better.

It's better not to mess with settings in the "learning phase". Just a stock Supra RZ with N2 tyres is more than better.

hmm, maybe I should try that too:crazy:
pretty funny, I'm on this forum for like 6 months, and I still cant drift good enoug to enjoy it..:grumpy: I think it's more because I dont spend enough time practicing:dunce:(3 hours a week)

And I should suggest you to read Boundary layer and swift's Drifters guide and Ske's drift guide. helped me very much!

Just keep in mind drifting isn't learned overnight. it takes practice and tenacity to become good at it.

Springs 8.3/7.2
Height 110/110
Bound/Rebound 4/4/4/4
Camber 3.3
Stabilizer 3/3

LSD:
Initial 45
Acc 60
Dec 50

theres your setup, this is more what it should be like(including actual spring rates from a d1gp spec car

Springs Front:10-kg/mm force Rear:9-kg/mm force
Height 100/100
Bound/Rebound 4/6/6/8
Camber 3.3
Stabilizer 3/6

LSD:
Initial 20 big problem, your diff was virtually locked, so it was very hard to turn
Acc 60
Dec 35

i agree with sheron, grab a stock car like a supra on n2 or 99 S2000 on n1 or n2 and practice practice practice. the S2000 would be a good choice, because its so easy to get sideways. maybe add some power if you really feel that you need it, but stock power will work just fine.
as for the snap oversteer, its from either not enough gas, or too much countersteer, or a little of both. you are a racer, so you should know the lines to take already. you just need to practice being able to stay on the lines you want and not stray towards the inside or outside. just keep at it and you should click sooner or later.

Nothing wrong with those settings in my opinion, though stock settings are perfectly fine on an SX.

Seems to me like you might not be quick enough with your countersteering or weight shifting when you enter. It may also be an idea to start with feinting (unless you're already doing this), as it's by far the easiest way to get your car sliding in GT4. Don't be afraid to jerk the wheel a little, you have to manhandle most cars a bit to get them sideways.. at least while learning.

You should straighten the wheel and start countersteering the instant you feel your car turn in (should be pretty quick if you're not overloading the front wheels on entry). If you keep the wheel turning inwards too long it's easy to start plowing.

For the settings discussion: Without testing that LSD setup right now, I'd suggest going for a 1.5 or 2-way one for starters. LSD preferrences seems to be very personal, and even down to which controller you're using. I preferred a tight diff when I used the d-pad, a really soft diff (or a 2-way for some reason) for the DF and something in between when using the DFP. That shouldn't be a big concern until you get to the mid drift balancing act though..

When it comes to which spring balance does what, that discussion never ends.. for some cars you'll get more oversteer by tightening the front while making the rear really soft, but on some cars that doesn't seem to work as good... I don't really mess to much with the F/R balance anymore, I'd rather set them closer to eachother and work out major balance issues with ballast (nothing you need to worry about on this car).

Edit: Some cars are perfectly good learner cars stock (though alot easier with custom gearboxes)... I don't really like the S2k because of the peaky powerband, but the Supra is amazingly agile stock (the moment you start adding parts it turns bad though). Early 90's RX7's are also great with stock setup, but they might need a tiny power upgrade to cope with low torque. My favorite stock car has to be the Holden Monaro though.

It's your spring rates. The fronts are usually supposed to be softer than the rears. Maybe say F:6.3 R:8.7? Try something in that range.

just to clarify the softer spring rate in the front makes the front grab better and understeer less right. cause i've been running 8.3F/12.8R with bound and rebound set at 8F/8R front camber 2.5 rear camber 3.0 stabilizers at 4F/4R. it works good for D1 style.

Umm, you have 0 Aids, remember? Also your initial torque may be a bit too high, 60 accel will lock up your wheels. I personally hate that when the car seems to just die when you're making your move.

i like the feeling of a *welded* differential, though if you are using less power, just use a 2way, or bump the top number up a few.

Also, by lock up, i hope you don't mean stop moving, Trico Pro. Because a high initial Torque setting, will only make it more likely that both drive wheels will be spinning equally, as a pair.

BINGO. There is no single magic setup to help us drift. Most drifting depends on the driver....your setup only helps you accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.

Yeah, i agree. Sometimes all you need is a car that's nearly stock on crappy tires. No, you won't be flying around at high speed, but when you're learning it's better to go slow anyways.

LSD:
Initial 20 big problem, your diff was virtually locked, so it was very hard to turn
Acc 60
Dec 35

This is very true. Initial lsd makes your car understeer by default, which is why BozMon was having trouble turning in, then all the sudden "snapping". 👍

by the way are you using traction/stability contols, Boz MOn?

Adjust the springs just a bit and try to feint and brack during your drifts. i, too, am new to drifting and the biggest thing iv learned is throttle control.

good luck

Back