Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot dead at event in Nara

Ages ago I went to NYC for business. Meeting with an organization called Happy World. Later foud out they were the Unification Church.

They put us up in a hotel. In the middle of the night my uncle and I woke up to see people standing above our beds mumbling stuff. We ran out of there.

I can't believe they still exist.

I hope this "revelation" doesn't lead to anything bad. Immediately after the assassination, some loony Japanese internet trolls started blaming Koreans and the Chinese for the shooting, and this whole thing about the Unification Church (which is South Korean but has its tendrils everywhere) can bring those idiots out of woodwork again.

Trolls used a picture of Hideo Kojima and fascist nutters in France fell for it.

Some facts about Abe-san that may be related to his assasination:

1. He had a personal friendship with Vladimir Putin;
2. Shortly before being killed, he blamed Zelensky for the Russian operation in Ukraine.
“If the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky, had been compelled to promise that his country would not join NATO or to grant a high degree of autonomy to the two eastern enclaves, it would have been possible to avoid hostilities,” Abe said.
Sorry, but I don't buy into the story that a politician of such scale could be killed being "mistaken for a religious cult leader".

You're right, it's a dispute, which means Russia may or may not "own" those islands. They do control them, but that control and ownership is disputed. And it's pretty complicated lol.

Complicated or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's Japan who wants islands from Russia, not the other way.

They were taken away a prize of WW2 (as an American you shouldn't be reminded that Japan was an aggressor in that war), and Japan was lucky to not lose Hokkaido (there were plans to invade this island too, but Stalin canceled them) or get divided like Germany or Korea.

2. Shortly before being killed, he blamed Zelensky for the Russian operation in Ukraine.
Abe was a right-wing Japanese imperialist. It's no surprise whose side he was on and what leaders he liked.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the story that a politician of such scale could be killed being "mistaken for a religious cult leader".
You don't have to believe it for it to be true.

The funeral of Shinzo Abe took place in Tokyo today. He is only the second politician in Japan to have been granted the honor of a state funeral since the end of World War II. Members of the Imperial Family, lawmakers and government leaders were in attendance, along with about seven hundred foreign dignitaries.

lol I didn't even realize that the Russian media was pushing some sort of hexagonal conspiracy in this thread that Abe was assassinated for... not supporting Ukraine?

lol I didn't even realize that the Russian media was pushing some sort of hexagonal conspiracy in this thread that Abe was assassinated for... not supporting Ukraine?
He was silenced for telling the troof.

Complicated or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's Japan who wants islands from Russia, not the other way.

They were taken away a prize of WW2 (as an American you shouldn't be reminded that Japan was an aggressor in that war), and Japan was lucky to not lose Hokkaido (there were plans to invade this island too, but Stalin canceled them) or get divided like Germany or Korea.
1. All world leaders have a working relationship with Putin because Putin is also a world leader. These people speak on the phone and in person regularly to monitor what is going on in the world in different countries.
2. That quote isn't assigning blame at all, it is simply stating facts. It is probably true that if Ukraine simply gave up those territories that war would not have broken out. Problem is, those are Ukrainian territories and Russia has no right to them, therefore Ukraine is justified in defending them.

This video outlines the fact that both Japan and Russia have been assholes when it comes to various islands in the northern Pacific, but not the Kuril islands. Those islands were peacefully negotiated for by Japan in two treaties in 1855 and 1875:

Back