Formula 1 2009: The Launch Season

• Thread starter Metar
  • 601 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You think Brawn is running ultralight loads to get good times to attract sponsors?

Very important correction. I followed the wrong link and the times I posted above are from yesterday. Sorry about that ...

Today's laptimes are even more surprising! Nakajima made the best lap of all the test sessions, even better than the Brawns !!!! And Kovalainen also entered the 1.17's today !!!!!

Here's the list of the best laps made by all drivers in all the 5 days of testing at Jerez. Watch it and just think how the days left to Melbourne will be hard to go by

1. Nakajima Williams 1'17"494
2. Button Brawn GP 1'17"844
3. Kovalainen McLaren 1'17"946
4. Rosberg Williams 1'18"071
5. Alonso Renault 1'18"343
6. Piquet Renault 1'18"382
7. Vettel Red Bull 1'19"055
8. Hamilton McLaren 1'19"221
9. Barrichello Brawn GP 1'19"235

Erm...from your own previous post:
This morning's times:

1º - Rubens Barrichello - 00:01'18''398 - 46 laps
2º - Fernando Alonso - 00:01'19''334 - 51 laps
3º - Lewis Hamilton - 00:01'19''629 - 35 laps
4º - Nico Rosberg - 00:01'19''783 - 70 laps

You think Brawn is running ultralight loads to get good times to attract sponsors?

No, the reasons?
1. They are lapping consistently faster than the other teams over 7 lap stints and more.
2. It makes no sense to go for sponsors at this point and Brawn isn't an idiot. They already have the funds to race and can better prove themselves to sponsors in race results, not testing times.
3. There are several explanations for having such a faster car - better aero design, no KERS and more importantly, a car that was designed to have no KERS system in it in the first place, or at least a KERS unit that would require far less cooling.

I don't think KERS is the main cause of their superior speed in testing, note testing, since more teams will be starting without a KERS system (e.g. Toyota).

Last edited:
I don't think KERS is the main cause of their superior speed in testing, not testing, since more teams will be starting without a KERS system (e.g. Toyota).

No, but the key thing here is that the Brawn car may have been designed aerodynamically to not have to cool a KERS system or at least a system that requires less cooling or less space than the electrical KERS systems the other teams are using.

This all means they can run a lighter car and use more ballast at the front to balance the car better, compared to a car with a KERS ballast in a not-so-balancing position.

I can't think where else the performance can come from, it can't just be aerodynamic effeciency just from the diffuser and scoop-thingy, although that will make a difference, not a whole second-worth difference. At least not from what I gather.

No, but the key thing here is that the Brawn car may have been designed aerodynamically to not have to cool a KERS system or at least a system that requires less cooling or less space than the electrical KERS systems the other teams are using.

This all means they can run a lighter car and use more ballast at the front to balance the car better, compared to a car with a KERS ballast in a not-so-balancing position.

I can't think where else the performance can come from, it can't just be aerodynamic effeciency just from the diffuser and scoop-thingy, although that will make a difference, not a whole second-worth difference. At least not from what I gather.

+1 Can't argue with that 👍

Weight-placement and KERS/no-KERS issues are a tradeoff - over a single qualifying lap, the extra boost will balance out pretty well against the handling-disadvantage. Aerodynamics is the true strength of the BGP001: It has a far more efficient diffuser, with an under-nose construction that matches it, plus an all-around developed and honed car.

Well, I just hope it develops into a similar, but more balanced battle akin to the Turbo vs. N/A battle of the 80s. Its a shame that all the teams have to use KERS after this year (if I remember right?).
We could have the situation where, for example, the Ferrari's have better starts and are better at overtaking but the Brawn's are faster over a lap, leading to constant overtaking and some good battles off the start line (assuming the Brawn's grab the front row, so will have to desperately defend against the KERS cars).

There will probably be some tracks where the KERS will have its advantage reduced, such as Monaco and others where it will dominate like Monza. I really hope it does develop this way rather than one side or the other completely dominating.

Its a shame that all the teams have to use KERS after this year (if I remember right?).

They don’t have to, but the performance of KERS will be doubled next year so it can release up to 160BHP, and then you’re really into the territory where you can’t do without it. Especially as they optimise the systems and they get lighter.

Could they, theoretically still use the same power as this year but for double the time, or is it fixed at that power output?

Just saw the first advert for Melbourne, we get a new 24hour HD free to air channel , that starts on Thursday. First practice is Friday noon. F1 fever is in the air.👍 :D

Could they, theoretically still use the same power as this year but for double the time, or is it fixed at that power output?

It's limited by total energy per lap, and the maximum speed it can be used: 400kJ of energy at a maximum of 60kW - so, essentially, at maximum strength, the boost is around 80HP, and available for 6.67 seconds. I don't see a limitation on time, though, so it's possible, theoretically, to run less power for a longer time.

While the BBC might give a new vision of F1 for you englishmen, and take away some of the lameness of ITV, the same is happening in Spain. Telecinco lost the broadcasting rights and La Sexta got 'em.

As freak as this may sound, I like. :D

Yep. First came La Uno, then La Dos, Antena Tres, Cuatro, Telecinco and now La Sexta.

How original.

[/OFFTOPIC] Only five days left...

so channel 5 lost it and was gained by channel 6? are these channels run by independent companys or by the goverment cuz the originalyity would make me think the government.

"hey guys what are we going to name all these channels?

"ummmm......uno, dos, tres, etc..?"

"THATS BRILLIANT!!!!"

yea thats how i see that conversation happening.

so channel 5 lost it and was gained by channel 6? are these channels run by independent companys or by the goverment cuz the originalyity would make me think the government.

They are both run by independent companies. Yeah, we know, blame them.[/OFFTOPIC]

Only...one...week...left...I...must...resist...
If they cut me, I'd bleed gasoline.

Looks like someone leaked the proposed sporting regs for 2014.
Actually, at first I thought it was a traier for a new Wipeout game. What the hell that had to do with Formula One - flying cars, guys in amour, cars wth weapons and a real Terminator: Salvation-like background - I'll never know.

Looks to me like the management of front tyre wear will be one of the deciding factors in the race to the flag,as more percentage of grip is given this area than the rear,in conjunction with the redesign of the front and rear wings.
Testing may be a false indicator of the new specifations, as Melbourne temps are fluctating dramatically day to day.

Not disagreeing with you, but the general news from all teams has been how hard it is to manage the rear tyres over race stints.

While the BBC might give a new vision of F1 for you englishmen, and take away some of the lameness of ITV, the same is happening in Spain. Telecinco lost the broadcasting rights and La Sexta got 'em.

As freak as this may sound, I like. :D

LOL! Its hilarious how they think Alonso is the one skilfully passing everyone and Hamilton mows everyone down!

While on the subject of promos and weird adverts, if you havnt seen it yet, here is the BBCF1 promo advert, saw it the other day for the first time on BBC1.

While on the subject of promos and weird adverts, if you havnt seen it yet, here is the BBCF1 promo advert, saw it the other day for the first time on BBC1.

Its been posted before in the BBC thread.

But yeah, I don't think its bad for people who didn't know the season was starting soon, and I like the anticipation it gives using The Chain for the last 2 seconds. All a bit of fun - I laugh at those who think this trailer somehow means the coverage will be awful.

LOL! Its hilarious how they think Alonso is the one skilfully passing everyone and Hamilton mows everyone down!

Don't complain. Should the F1 broadcasting rights still belong to Telecinco, they would have Hamilton crashing several times in a few seconds - And Alonso drowning in trophies.

Believe me, considering how we Spaniards are, Hamilton is being depicted there as a courageous fighter with a pair of cojones. :)

Don't complain. Should the F1 broadcasting rights still belong to Telecinco, they would have Hamilton crashing several times in a few seconds - And Alonso drowning in trophies.

Believe me, considering how we Spaniards are, Hamilton is being depicted there as a courageous fighter with a pair of cojones. :)

Agree. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, "Alonso" is the one that starts the dirty "fight" with "Hamilton" and later he is also the one we see skilfully shooting his laser guns against his competitors :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back