Formula 1 2013 Season Opener Melbourne 17th March

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 909 comments
No Sauber love? I think their car looks awesome this year. However, the man behind the wheel is Kimi; first time in years that F1 finally has a character. No one else has much of anything to say expect, "it was good, we will try harder". But this year it looks as if Lotus does have a stronger car.

Race starts Sunday March 17th at 2AM EST on NBCSN (SN= sports network) and it's going to be great.

Kimi has character? :lol:

F1 needs more Montoyas, drivers with big egos.

Of course Kimi has character.

Who else has told their pit crew to leave them alone? Who else does the funniest interviews? My favourite is the answer to the first question on this.

Last edited:
Kimi has character? :lol:

F1 needs more Montoyas, drivers with big egos.
Montoya's ego was a little too big at times; during his F3000 days he went as far as putting his own team mate in the Monegasque barriers, just to protect his sixth place. And it certainly didn't seem like an accident. Nah, I personally prefer drivers with a little more modesty, although they obviously all have egos to an extent! :lol:

Looks like showers predicted for Saturday, possibly for Sunday too. How unAustralian.

Yeah, it'd be great fun to watch a race in the wet, but I really wanted to see how the teams fall in line under ideal conditions. At least everyone got plenty of testing done in the rain in Spain, but also, it falls mainly on the plain.

Yeah, that's an awesome story there, one of my favorites ever. They should really interview more F1 moms.

Get pumped for this weekend with the top 15 overtakes of 2012!

This video left out Hamilton's pass on Vettel, which I thought was great (maybe a little biased since I was there watching) but the guy who put it together seems to be very anti-DRS so that may be why.

Last edited:
Plenty of nice driving there. #13 was a certified divebomb though. Chuffed to have been 100m from #2 as well.

I am hoping it does not rain in qualifying or race so we can find out more the pecking order. Will be good to finally see how fast that Mercedes is, should be competitive on this kind of track I would hope. If struggling for Q3, then that will be disappointing. Will keep a close eye on Williams too, will be good if they are right up there near the front. Finally will be good to see how fast the likes of Perez and Rosberg are and also the new drivers in F1.

Baffles me why people make predictions before they've even turned a wheel proper.

We likely won't know the real, absolute pace of these cars until Q1 or Q2 for the frontrunners. Seems silly to make predictions based only on pre-season testing.

Temperature has cooled down from 37degrees that last few days, down to 26 yesterday. It's currently light drizzle looking out my hotel window(4:52am) but, it will be sunny and about 27degrees.

By the way this thread needs an F1 tag, I didn't see it until someone linked it in another thread because I usually just click straight to the F1 link in the index which only shows threads tagged Formula 1.

This video left out Hamilton's pass on Vettel, which I thought was great (maybe a little biased since I was there watching) but the guy who put it together seems to be very anti-DRS so that may be why.
I think whoever put it together got it pretty much spot on. It's not "anti-DRS", it's just that the easy DRS passes aren't as good as any of these.

There were some DRS assisted passes in the video though, notably Grosjean's move on Hamilton in Valencia.

Baffles me why people make predictions before they've even turned a wheel proper.

We likely won't know the real, absolute pace of these cars until Q1 or Q2 for the frontrunners. Seems silly to make predictions based only on pre-season testing.

What's wrong with trying to have fun with it? Are you the type that can't laugh at themselves for being wrong? That's one of the funner aspects to me at least.

Testing does let us know a lot though, you just gotta read into it right and you'll pick up some valid clues. There are lots of elements that can throw it off though.

@Sagaris
It left out Sergio's passes in Canada, which were awesome. Also a couple other good ones in China, Webber and Hamilton.

btw, Hamilton's going to start writing columns for BBC Sport, kind of like Webber was doing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21769197

And an awesome "quick-fire" Q&A video with Jenson and Checo:

lol'ed at Jenson's answer for "Oversteer or Understeer?"

Last edited:
I'm so excited for this weekend, finally the winter is over and the F1 is back. It's going to be a fairly sleep deprived weekend, what with the Sebring 12 Hours on the saturday too.

Can't wait.

Vettel has named his car "Hungry Heidi"

https://www.facebook.com/redbullracing/posts/504251646287996

Awesome video "building the Australian Grand Prix"

So wanna go to Albert Park. Every once in a while I have to remind myself that this track isn't permanent. I'm sure this isn't the same case with all you guys though. Pretty much a street circuit, but the most proper one by a shot.:

Forza Teflonso!

So looking forward to this season. Hopefully it'll be just as close as 2010 and 2012.

88329913002582051311447.jpg

Here is my view for the next 3 days. Had more of a walk around the paddock today and plan to watch some racing for the next 3!

By the way this thread needs an F1 tag, I didn't see it until someone linked it in another thread because I usually just click straight to the F1 link in the index which only shows threads tagged Formula 1.

Done.

Exactly, I'll make my predictions come FP2 or FP3 and even then if it is raining, it will be a bigger mind warp to who will be on top. I rather not be like the lot that want to put there weight on last years top runners...to much wishful thinking those guys are doing.

It is probably more safe to say that the gap from last year to this year will be that much closer.

@ Wardez, I tend to agree with you and I think as long as they're fun predictions that is fine. But I have seen too many people think they know for sure all over the net.

Awesome man, thanks for that link 👍

btw, here's a little preview video from Pirelli. God damn, every one and their mother has a Youtube channel with little featurettes these days.

And whew, what a cringer this part was in the press conference:

(Gabriel Polychronis– F1plus.com) This one is for you Mark. Do you feel that the recent criticism from Helmut Marko on your performances acts as a motivator for you to prove yourself throughout the season.

MW: I’ve answered this question a few times in the last six weeks and as I said, he has his agenda and I’m not part of it, so that’s fine. Everyone can have their opinions. I’m always pretty good for motivations.

It doesn’t make your motivation any less though?

MW: Of course not.

Mark answers the question @ 9:30 in the video FahrerGott linked.

Last edited:
What's wrong with trying to have fun with it? Are you the type that can't laugh at themselves for being wrong? That's one of the funner aspects to me at least.

No not really, it's just exactly what I said, it seems pointless. If I'm going to make a prediction I'm going to base it on something conclusive, not just a random guess.

Back