Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
With the conclusion of the 2021 Formula 1 season, we can look forward to a brand new era of Formula 1 with new regulations and (hopefully) the much lessening of COVID restrictions.

Please use this thread to discuss the new car launches and pre-season testing too, just to not fill the Motorsport sub-forum with a million unnecessary threads.

Please direct any relevant points and discussions to these threads if they fit.
Drivers
Constructors
Calendar
F1 Caption Game

When is F1 on?

2021 Final standings
1639478608378.png

1639478629537.png

Last edited:
Post season testing already underway in Abu Dhabi.

BOT has been given permission to drive the Alfa.

Teams are also trialling different rear wheel covers for next year.

1fxox13xig581.png

OlRW5Af.png

Merc look like old steel wheels.

Last edited:
This is one of the things I don't really understand (well I do but) ... New cars will have lovely new 18'' wheels and then cover them up with ugly covers or plates or whatever ... Why make something look better then hide it ??

Got to say that I don't mind the look of the wheel covers at all.

Well, maybe not the Merc ones though.

This is one of the things I don't really understand (well I do but) ... New cars will have lovely new 18'' wheels and then cover them up with ugly covers or plates or whatever ... Why make something look better then hide it ??
Something about reducing dirty air if i remember correctly

Surprised to see all the different designs, it was my understanding that the wheel and covers were going to be spec items used by all teams? - Perhaps each team is trying out different designs to see which works best. I know wheel covers can give issues for mechanics handling the wheels during pit stops.

Lando's McLaren has LED lights. :cool:

“There was an idea to put some LEDs into the wheel covers, to use these wheel covers also for marketing purposes, that means you can display any kind of message,” Pirelli F1 chief Mario Isola told Autosport in Abu Dhabi.“

mclaren-2022-tyre-detail-1.webp

Lando's McLaren has LED lights. :cool:

“There was an idea to put some LEDs into the wheel covers, to use these wheel covers also for marketing purposes, that means you can display any kind of message,” Pirelli F1 chief Mario Isola told Autosport in Abu Dhabi.“

mclaren-2022-tyre-detail-1.webp
Heh, nothing's ever new! Indycar had a go at this 20 years ago (and again in 2015).

Fittipaldi testing wheel mounted LED advertising gizmos by Peter Burke, on Flickr

leddamattacart_550.jpg

---------------------------

Sir Lewis Hamilton received his knighthood from Prince Charles at Windsor Castle today.

Can we discuss the FIA election here? I figure it's an off season thing. First election in 12 years. I think this is important. Not only for F1 but all FIA Motorsport.

After some reading. I side with Stoker/Kristensen over Sulayem/Ecclestone Although her title has not been confirmed, the term "Vice President" which would be a new position has been thrown around.

Interestingly, Todt has said he does not endorse either. He was endorsed by predecessor Mosley, which arguably helped him.

My opinion only. Either way. I urge you stay informed about it as it will influence future.

Last edited:
We don't need silly gimmicks.
But if there's money to be made off of them, then you can bet they're going to throw those gimmicks in there regardless of what common sense dictates. Or until someone actually figures out how to gain a competitive advantage from it, in which case it will be immediately banished and decried as horrible cheating trickery.

Surprised to see all the different designs, it was my understanding that the wheel and covers were going to be spec items used by all teams? - Perhaps each team is trying out different designs to see which works best. I know wheel covers can give issues for mechanics handling the wheels during pit stops.
Yes, I believe they're testing different ones for the FIA. According to the technical regulations the wheel covers, and the front wheel fairings over the wheel are PDCs.
“Prescribed Design Components” (PDC) are components whose Design Specification will be
provided by the FIA (including, without limitation, the components identified as such in
Article 17.8). Such components can be manufactured by a Competitor, its agent, or an
external supplier on behalf of the Competitor, and these components can be supplied from
one Competitor to another Competitor.
Wheel Cover
A single Wheel Cover per wheel, must be rigidly secured to the wheel rim such that it has the
same rotational velocity as the wheel it is connected to and forms an aerodynamic seal to the
wheel rim. The Wheel Cover is classified as a PDC and mounting information and specification
can be found in the Appendix to the Technical and Sporting Regulations

Here's a great gimmick for 2021: Competent race officials. Why don't we at least try it?
Does it cost more money than it brings in?
If no: FIA will consider it.
If yes: FIA will ignore it and sue you for wasting their time.

Mohammed Ben Sulayem has won the FIA presidency.

Of the two choices he was seen as the one willing and more likely to make changes. So let's see.

Mohammed Ben Sulayem has won the FIA presidency.

Of the two choices he was seen as the one willing and more likely to make changes. So let's see.
Does that point more to the Saudis potentially taking ownership of F1 or is it unrelated?

Does that point more to the Saudis potentially taking ownership of F1 or is it unrelated?
That was a unverified rumor. I posted that in another thread as a hypothetical.

However it would not surprise me. Ecclestone has control now.

With some talk in the other thread about Lewis' "uncertainty" going into next season, Mercedes shared this, this morning. He's with the team, so that's a positive, imo.

BTW, bah gawd, Toto looks a mammoth of a dude next to Lewis & Valterri.

Last edited:
With some talk in the other thread about Lewis' "uncertainty" going into next season, Mercedes shared this, this morning. He's with the team, so that's a positive, imo.

BTW, bah gawd, Toto looks a mammoth of a dude next to Lewis & Valterri.

Only one wearing a mask?

Theory: he wasn't brushed his teeth in 2 days. :sly: :lol:

Back