Formula 1 Aramco Magyar Nagydíj 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 376 comments
Settled into a rather dull race once the threat of rain went away, but it's still amazing to see Hamilton matching Schumacher.

Good drives by Verstappen and Bottas. They were super lucky they didn't completely ruin their races.

Kind of bummed Ricciardo and the McLarens (still 3rd!) didn't finish higher. Wonder what's going to happen to Albon. Surprisingly good strat by Hass, but damn are they slow. Solid drive by Vettel.

Re: Bottas jump start. Unless they flat out disqualify him, any penalty will keep him on the podium because he's more than 30 seconds ahead of Stroll.

Sky analysis showed he was within the .2 second allowance provided and then he slowed again anyways. He was probably still within his area when the actual lights went out. Probably safe there. Usually I think we've seen the penalties handed out during the race, if one was given.

Regarding the lapping Mercedes. It's happened before with dominant teams. Vettel did it in his days. It's not exclusive to Mercedes. Do people want BOP?

Sky analysis showed he was within the .2 second allowance provided and then he slowed again anyways. He was probably still within his area when the actual lights went out. Probably safe there. Usually I think we've seen the penalties handed out during the race, if one was given.

Regarding the lapping Mercedes. It's happened before with dominant teams. Vettel did it in his days. It's not exclusive to Mercedes. Do people want BOP?

RB had 1.5 seasons of outright dominance. 2011 and 2013 when they changed the tires. I don’t remember RB lapping 3/4 of the field but I may be wrong.

I know it's not new, but it's been more prevalent now than ever, right? I've only been following for the last decade and I know you have a plethora of knowledge to call upon so I'd be happy to know I'm wrong :)

Red Bull: 2010 to 2013
Ferrari: 2000 to 2004
McLaren: 1984 to 1986 & 1988 to 1990
Merc: 2014 to 2019

It's roughly on par with McLarens' dominance period, but McLaren still holds the record for the greatest percentage of wins in a single year, with 1988s' 15 out of 16 giving 93.8% (Mercs closest was 90.5% in 2016).

So on balance, I would not personally say it's more prevalent now than ever, but it may well end up being so. It's, however, nothing in comparison to the WRC and Loeb's nine consecutive titles.

I know it's not new, but it's been more prevalent now than ever, right? I've only been following for the last decade and I know you have a plethora of knowledge to call upon so I'd be happy to know I'm wrong :)
It’s the end result of the teams gaining enough political power in the sport to essentially dictate the terms of engagement to the FIA. The teams essentially write the regulations, and the FIA ‘officiates’ them. It’s telling that the absolute first thing FOCA (what would become FOM) did was ban privateer teams, essentially ensuring nobody could follow in the footsteps of the likes of Brabham and Lotus and McLaren, and setting the stage for the requirement of being a works team or having works support to have any hope of being competitive. Then came regulations to restrict engine designs and aero advancement and the like that on the surface sound like good ideas, but in actuality turn F1 from being “hey, if we shape the floorboard this completely new way, we can pick up 2 seconds a lap” to “if we spend £10 million on this winglet, we can find 0.2 seconds a lap”. V10 era was the worst for this, and the current V6T-H is quickly displacing it. Until the likes of Mercedes and Renault jump ship, it’s always going to be more of the same: multi-year domination by the works team.
Bernie Ecclestone was simultaneously the best and worst thing that could ever happen to F1.

Red Bull: 2010 to 2013
Ferrari: 2000 to 2004
McLaren: 1984 to 1986 & 1988 to 1990
Merc: 2014 to 2019

It's roughly on par with McLarens' dominance period, but McLaren still holds the record for the greatest percentage of wins in a single year, with 1988s' 15 out of 16 giving 93.8% (Mercs closest was 90.5% in 2016).

So on balance, I would not personally say it's more prevalent now than ever, but it may well end up being so. It's, however, nothing in comparison to the WRC and Loeb's nine consecutive titles.

It's certainly going that way. We're now in the seventh year of Mercedes dominance, and the dominance is way more consistent, especially when it was Hamilton & Rosberg together. They got 11 1-2 finishes in 2014, 12 in 2015 and 8 in 2016. They also locked out the front row 12 times in 2014, and 15 times 2015 and 2016. Contrast this is Red Bull who got 4 1-2s and 8 lockouts in 2010, 3 and 6 in 2011, 1 1-2 in 2012 with McLaren getting 4 front-row lockouts, and then 4 1-2s and 5 lockouts in 2013. Even though they (or rather Vettel) still came out on top, the racing was much closer.

It's certainly going that way. We're now in the seventh year of Mercedes dominance, and the dominance is way more consistent, especially when it was Hamilton & Rosberg together. They got 11 1-2 finishes in 2014, 12 in 2015 and 8 in 2016. They also locked out the front row 12 times in 2014, and 15 times 2015 and 2016. Contrast this is Red Bull who got 4 1-2s and 8 lockouts in 2010, 3 and 6 in 2011, 1 1-2 in 2012 with McLaren getting 4 front-row lockouts, and then 4 1-2s and 5 lockouts in 2013. Even though they (or rather Vettel) still came out on top, the racing was much closer.
I agree it may well end up that way, but it’s still got to beat the McLaren form of the eighties and 88 in particular.

There's a good chance Mercedes will win all the races this season and finally break the '88 McLaren's record.

There's a good chance Mercedes will win all the races this season and finally break the '88 McLaren's record.
I'm sure a lot of "experts" are already slapping a big asterisk onto this season so that if it does happen, they can pretend like it doesn't count.

McLaren's record happened in a 16-race season. Early F1 seasons were seven races long - six if you discount the Indy500 which usually had totally different grids.

This season currently has 10 races confirmed, with two in the works and another eight either postponed or pending a reschedule rather than cancelled. You'd think 12-20 races would qualify as a proper season...

McLarens were tragic today...

A false dawn? Tough to say. Hungaroring is a track that some cars simply do not like. Williams also failed to show their relative increase in performance and Alfa Romeo... also entered this race.

MSZ
Hamilton's car is so fast, yet he is saying things like: "the tyres don't feel great" "there is something wrong with the engine"

It's like Hamilton records a few lines before the season starts, which get played back during a random race from the control center. It never makes sense.

Formula 1 did a great job with those Netflix documentaries. I noticed around me a lot of people regaining interest on it. Problem is.... Mercedes.
More exactly the ridiculous gap between the mercs and the rest that is kicking people back away from F1 because its too obvious and predictable and one of the beauties about sports is uncertain about the results.

Formula 1 did a great job with those Netflix documentaries. I noticed around me a lot of people regaining interest on it. Problem is.... Mercedes.
More exactly the ridiculous gap between the mercs and the rest that is kicking people back away from F1 because its too obvious and predictable and one of the beauties about sports is uncertain about the results.
Why is the problem Mercedes? Why not turn that around and say the problem is the other teams not doing a good enough job?

Why is the problem Mercedes? Why not turn that around and say the problem is the other teams not doing a good enough job?

After the budget ceilings are implemented, that would be the case exactly. Until then, the races are fought at the financial departments.

Both Haas cars 10 sec penalty, Magnussen drops to P10

Albon no penalty

Haas penalty is a weird one, they got it for telling the drivers to pit during the formation lap. It's not illegal to pit, but it has to be the drivers initiative. I.e. you cannot tell the drivers what to do during the formation lap.

Huh, that's one that certainly doesn't come up often. Though I can see why they don't want teams making orchestrated last second changes like that, seems like it could be used to circumvent parc ferme restrictions in certain situations.

Albon no penalty

Haas penalty is a weird one, they got it for telling the drivers to pit during the formation lap. It's not illegal to pit, but it has to be the drivers initiative. I.e. you cannot tell the drivers what to do during the formation lap.
yep no instructions to the drivers during formation lap. Some rules...

i miss the v8 era when we had always at worst 2 teams competing for the win and the championships were exciting bar 2011 2013 . we were spoiled in 2006-2010 when we had 5 differente winners in 5 diferent teams .v6 was a total tragedy for this sport . i cant be excited for p6

Why not turn that around and say the problem is the other teams not doing a good enough job?
I agree. All the other teams are hopeless pieces of ****, and will never reverse history. So they should declare defeat, and start a new series without Mercedes. My friend Harvey has been saying for years that the Germans are highly concerned about appearing to be overdogs, and will soon lay down their cudgels. My friend Harvey is also quite daft.

Most legendary F1 cars of all time:
Lotus 49
Lotus 72
McLaren MP4-4
Ferrari F2002
Red Bull RB9
Mercedes W11

It's just that good. I'm not a Hamilton fan but my god have Mercedes got it right this year. They're soo far ahead of the game it's unbelievable. We will remember this car for years to come, just like the other cars I have mentioned.

Most legendary F1 cars of all time:
Lotus 49
Lotus 72
McLaren MP4-4
Ferrari F2002
Red Bull RB9
Mercedes W11

It's just that good. I'm not a Hamilton fan but my god have Mercedes got it right this year. They're soo far ahead of the game it's unbelievable. We will remember this car for years to come, just like the other cars I have mentioned.

Mercedes has a $440mln budget this year, 4 times the budget Williams has. If they wouldn't have the fastest car, they'd have to be ashamed, like Ferrari should be. The top 3 teams have more budget than the other 7 combined. The big surprise of 2020 is Racing Point, competing with a $180mln budget.
As far as I know, those budgets are excl. driver salaries. 'S all about the munneh.

Last edited:

Albon no penalty

If we get another probable wet start with dry weather HAAS should debrief the drivers pre-race that if they specifically asked not to enter the pits they should enter the pits anyways.

Can’t be penalized for disobeying engineers instructions :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Back