Formula 1 AWS Grand Prix du Canada 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 241 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
This weekend sees the return of another of the COVID cancelled Grand Prix, as we finally return to Montreal for the first time since 2019. The parkland circuit with high speeds and close walls has produced a load of historic and iconic moments throughout the history of the circuit. There are 4 Champions on the grid this year, will any of them hit the wall of champions? Will Ferrari get their act together after a slew of points thrown away in the last few rounds? We'll only find out at the CANADIAN GRAND PRIX!
image (7).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.361km

Race Distance
305.27 km

Lap Record
1:13.078
Valtteri Bottas (2019)​

Super stoked, hopefully being off the calendar for 2 two seasons brings some much needed excitement to this race.

Super stoked, hopefully being off the calendar for 2 two seasons brings some much needed excitement to this race.
It's going to be dry and 20-ish Celcius, so fully expect Red Bull to dominate, unless the Ferraris don't kaboom themselves again.

It's going to be dry and 20-ish Celcius, so fully expect Red Bull to dominate, unless the Ferraris don't kaboom themselves again.

Straights followed by either chicanes or a hairpin, low weight and a good chassis plays a big role here.
Perhaps Haas and Williams can score some points again.
In front I except the usual; Leclerc strong on Saturday, Verstappen the win on Sunday. Unless he adds a chip to the famous wall of champions.

It's funny how my country has 2 Grand Prix and this one located in a different country is probably the one I consider my local Grand Prix.

Pretty strict rules. It'll be interesting to see how the teams are affected by this, it seems like Mercedes especially will be hurt by this.

The thing is Mercedes was affected by bouncing and bottoming rather than porpoising last race. Given wind can have an effect and raising ride heights can cause more damage to cars, imagine if they end up disqualifying likes of Ferrari this race leaving Red Bull with an open goal who seem to have it more under control. Mercedes meant to have an update this race so hopefully it works and Lewis can challenge for the win.

These new porpoising rules are really going to hurt Mercedes. Sad to say but Russell might break his streak of top 5 finishes if they have to raise the ride height of their already slow car. All because Hamilton wanted to game the system with some theatrics.

These new porpoising rules are really going to hurt Mercedes. Sad to say but Russell might break his streak of top 5 finishes if they have to raise the ride height of their already slow car. All because Hamilton wanted to game the system with some theatrics.
Ah yes. Because you know for a fact he was gaming the system and cannot imagine he was actually in pain since you could drive any F1 car and have no problems.

Ah yes. Because you know for a fact he was gaming the system and cannot imagine he was actually in pain since you could drive any F1 car and have no problems.
Russell drove the same car. You didn't see him Hamming it up.

Russell drove the same car. You didn't see him Hamming it up.
Russell (and many other drivers across the grid) has spoken multiple times about the car(s) being legitimately painful to drive due to the bumping. Also, since Hamilton is in his late 30's (and both he and Mercedes have openly talked about using Hamilton to experiment with different setups compared to George), he's much more likely to feel and show the painful effects of porpoising than the 24-year old George Russell, especially on a largely un-prepped street circuit that has one of the longest, fastest, and bumpiest straights on the schedule.

Seriously, do you ever run out of these absolutely bottom-tier takes?

Russell (and many other drivers across the grid) has spoken multiple times about the car(s) being legitimately painful to drive due to the bumping. Also, since Hamilton is in his late 30's (and both he and Mercedes have openly talked about using Hamilton to experiment with different setups compared to George), he's much more likely to feel and show the painful effects of porpoising than the 24-year old George Russell, especially on a largely un-prepped street circuit that has one of the longest, fastest, and bumpiest straights on the schedule.

Seriously, do you ever run out of these absolutely bottom-tier takes?
How many races in a row are people going to believe that Mercedes gave their golden boy a purposfully compromised setup? Even if you're a fan at a certain point reality has to sink in. He just isn't fast or motivated this year.

I like this directive from the FIA, it forces teams to take the safety of their drivers seriously.

There is no point complaining about how dangerous your car is to drive if you're not willing to change it in a way that makes it less dangerous. By all means, try out every setup under the sun, that's what practice sessions are for. But actually sending a driver out into a race with a car that could cause permanent damage ... that's unacceptable.

This guy lists his signature as an optometrist, but can't see a clear distinction between a 24-year old & a 37-year old's back health. :lol:
I'm an expert in optimism. Every driver is supposed to be in the best physical shape possible to drive in F1. If Hamilton's body really is giving out I feel bad for him but it's time to step aside and let someone in better shape take your seat.

How many races in a row are people going to believe that Mercedes gave their golden boy a purposfully compromised setup? Even if you're a fan at a certain point reality has to sink in. He just isn't fast or motivated this year.
Experimenting does not equal purposefully compromised. Hamilton is a 7-time world champion, driving a car incapable of winning races. From his point of view there’s nothing to lose by experimenting with different setups. He doesn’t have to prove himself to anyone.

You can be in the top-tier shape all you want; that doesn't save your health from the effects of porpoising on the body.

But hey, good luck recasting half the grid then.
As the season progresses, the complaints from the drivers have increased. Haas’ Kevin Magnussen has struggled with nerve pain since encountering the problem, while Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz has pondered the effects on drivers’ long-term health.
“I feel like, you know in pro basketball when players bounce the ball really low? That’s what I felt like someone was doing to my helmet. I know George [Russell] has been vocal about it not [being] sustainable and I genuinely feel rattled, like shook. It’s definitely not good.

“Hopefully we can figure it out. When I say it’s not good, it’s just not good for our general health and wellbeing. It’s not normal, like the high-frequency loads we get. I’m probably more shook because it’s the first time I’ve truly felt probably what some others feel.

“I know watching the onboards it looks bad, especially the Mercedes, and I now feel what they feel, I believe, because it definitely felt bad.”
“Even the Ferrari drivers and Max [Verstappen] were saying how tough it is. You’ve either got porpoising and the car’s hitting the ground or, if you’re not porpoising, you’re able to run the car less than one centimetre from the ground and you’re smashing the bumps. So whichever way you’ve got it, it’s not great for anyone. Something will happen, there’s no doubt about it.”

Gasly crossed the line fifth for AlphaTauri in Baku, recording his best result of the season so far, but admitted he had never found a race to be so "brutal" through his F1 career.

"It's not healthy, that's for sure," Gasly said. "I've had a physio session before and after every session, just because my [spinal] discs are suffering from it. You have literally no suspension. It just hits going through your spine.

Limiting the vertical G is a perfect solution, because it puts the ire onto the teams and forces them to run higher ground clearances  without having to mandate a new minimum height, which they would just solve with softer springs to make the cars run that low again. This way it punishes the teams who have got it wrong and have worse Porpoising, while allowing those who have it under control to keep that advantage.

The FIA have the medical G sensors as live telemetry in Race Control, so if the vertical G spikes, they need to just put out a Black-and-Orange flag for that car and force the team to come in and raise the ride height or something to deal with it. If it takes a while to do, that's your problem, not the FIAs.

Red Bull don't seem happy with the change. I wonder if they wear the planks and skids quite a bit? Hopefully it brings the midfield cars closer to the top. Aston Martin was really fast last sector last race without sparking while likes of McLaren and Mercedes with the same power unit were slow sparking a lot. Given majority of teams are running near maximum budget cap, it could spice things up this season and next by favouring those who have a bigger operating window for performance in their car philosophy.

The thing is Mercedes was affected by bouncing and bottoming rather than porpoising last race.
That's the same thing, and it's causing the exact same problems. Even if it wasn't, all of those terms describe something that's now illegal. Too much vertical oscillation.
Mercedes meant to have an update this race so hopefully it works and Lewis can challenge for the win.
Canada is a bumpy street circuit. Mercedes is going to struggle a lot, unless they somehow threw the FIA for a loop and still got what they wanted with this TD.

Red Bull don't seem happy with the change. I wonder if they wear the planks and skids quite a bit? Hopefully it brings the midfield cars closer to the top. Aston Martin was really fast last sector last race without sparking while likes of McLaren and Mercedes with the same power unit were slow sparking a lot. Given majority of teams are running near maximum budget cap, it could spice things up this season and next by favouring those who have a bigger operating window for performance in their car philosophy.

The reason RedBull isn’t pleased is because of a change of regulations during the season, again.

When Mercedes couldn’t pitstop faster then RedBull and Williams, they started news about safety.
The advantage both teams had due to practice and and teamwork then got ruled out.

It isn’t because RedBull now has an advantage or disadvantage.

That's the same thing, and it's causing the exact same problems. Even if it wasn't, all of those terms describe something that's now illegal. Too much vertical oscillation.

Canada is a bumpy street circuit. Mercedes is going to struggle a lot, unless they somehow threw the FIA for a loop and still got what they wanted with this TD.
It is a different thing and can be addressed differently by the teams. Instead of being as big of an aerodynamic concern, it is more mechanical so can be fixed with updates to suspension so car doesn't bounce as much when car is closer to the ground. Easier said than done however with the more primitive suspension systems this year.

They sounded confident they will be closer to the front this race half heartedly saying Red Bull and Ferrari will be the benchmark. If Ferrari have to lower power as a temporary fix for their reliability and Red Bull have to raise the car due to wear on planks then could put Mercedes right at the front if they can sort out their suspension.
rsh
The reason RedBull isn’t pleased is because of a change of regulations during the season, again.

When Mercedes couldn’t pitstop faster then RedBull and Williams, they started news about safety.
The advantage both teams had due to practice and and teamwork then got ruled out.

It isn’t because RedBull now has an advantage or disadvantage.
It seems they think it was down to Mercedes problems when in fact majority of drivers wanted something done about it including a driver they have a contract with in Pierre Gasly being one of the most vocal.

It puts pressure on Mercedes to get it right more than ever now as it is not a favour for them as instead of picking up points with an uncomfortable car, they could get disqualified. It should be better for all driver's health which is the main thing.

Will be interesting to see how this directive is implemented as can see teams doing some gamesmanship in FP3 by running cars in a conservative power mode with no deployment on the straights to minimise vertical oscillation potential.

I wonder what will be done given limited time in practice sessions, what if there is no time to run three consecutive laps after a setup change? It effectively becomes close to parc fermé conditions earlier so no more big setup changes for qualifying. Given for qualifying wind speed and direction can change, that could impact oscillations so even if 10mm increase of ride height is done, could see a team potentially still putting it on pole then getting disqualified as they might be having more oscillations from using DRS with full potential of power unit being utilised and lower weight due to less fuel. That could be tricky for the FIA to judge as it could become farcical if they don't offer any kind of new margin as legal cars in FP3 could be illegal in qualifying but still allowed to race and illegal cars in FP3 could be even more illegal with the changes and not allowed to race but might have been legal in FP3 conditions.

Back