Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 248 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 heads from the slowest, tightest and hardest-to-pass on street circuit on the calendar, to the street circuit with the longest flat-out section on the calendar. 2km of full throttle, plenty of other places to pass and one of the most iconic narrow sections of circuit help lend to the "Baku City Circuit" somehow being an anagram for "unpredictable carnage"! Ferrari Vs Red Bull is equally unpredictable this season, so who will come on top at this race is an absolute coin toss. Of course, if the Baku carnage happens as it has done on 3/5 visits, we'll end up with a Stroll, Latifi, Norris podium or something. Who knows? All I know is that I'm looking forward to the AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX!

image (6).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
6.003km

Race Distance
306.049 km

Lap Record
1:43.009
Charles Leclerc (2019)​

Caught this on the subreddit.
rtmhry26vy391.jpg

Based on this, guess I'm gonna say Max gets pole & the win, & Charles sets the fastest lap.
Charles or Sainz? I agree it will be Max taking Pole and Win but I have a strong feeling it will not be LeClerc if the track is cursed by the castle of doom.

If Mercedes can control the porpoising like they did at Catalunya, I expect them to be quick here, especially in race trim.

Verstappen pole, Hamilton win, Sainz to crash somewhere, Perez and Verstappen contact in race.

Oof, this one is on a 5 am for me. But looking at some of the videos of the circuit, it looks kind of interesting. I get that there won't be a ton of passing or anything, but I do like a good city track.

The previous Baku races have been pretty dramatic. If that keeps up, I'll put my money on (spins a dial) Lando Norris to win, because why not.

Just off the top of my head I recall; big tire blowout for Max (and Stroll?), Lewis inheriting a win in the last lap or two while third or fourth place, a couple of other Red Bull crashes, some Force India teammate collisions, Leclerc spinning out, Grosjean flying off the track a few too many times, etc. Don't mistake much of this for racing, but it has almost always been chaotic which helps explain the picture above.

16: Rosberg won by a mile as Hamilton lost too much time because of the stupid Radio Communication restrictions. Other than that nothing really happened as the drivers played it calm after crazy GP2 races.

17: Bottas and Raikkonen lap 1 damage. Ham and Vet collided under Safety Car, Ocon and Perez collided on restart in a race they could have won. Hulk crashed out of a podium, Red Flag for debris. "GLOVES AND STEERING WHEEL". Vettel stop/go and Hamilton extra stop for headrest coming loose. Danny Ric triple pass into T1 and eventual victory. Stroll pipped on the line for 2nd by Bottas who fought back from last.

18: Collisions at and after T2. Ocon I wall from Kimi. Alonso's 2-wheeled heroics and subsequent recovery to the points. Hulk crashes from podium position. Mega Red Bull scrap for half the race ends in tears. "I think Ericsson hit us". Magnussen shoves Gasly into wall at 300kph drops debris which punctures Bottas from a certain win with 2 laps to go, Perez 2nd podium at circuit and Hamilton inherits victory.

19: Bottas dominates boring race.

21: Great early passes. Red Bull pass Hamilton in pitstops. Stroll massive puncture and crash, Vettel fighting for podium. Verstappen puncture followed by Red Flag. Hamilton brake magic leading to Perez, Vettel, Gasly podium.

What next?

Oof, this one is on a 5 am for me. But looking at some of the videos of the circuit, it looks kind of interesting. I get that there won't be a ton of passing or anything, but I do like a good city track.
It's actually not a bad city circuit for overtaking, especially with that monster start-finish straight. With this years cars being able to follow each other closer, i would think that the typical street circuit pass - a late dive and block-pass into one of the sharp 90 degree turns, will be even more possible than before.

I see Leclerc is killing FP as usual this season. My money is on Max to win though. I’d like to see Hamilton place in at least top 5.

That's an awful lot of straight to porpoise.

Probably be a podium of Ferraris and Red Bulls come Sunday, though I have no real preference for who - I just want Ricciardo to score some gotdang points. GAWD!!

Alonso is 2nd quickest in a straight line and 4th overall so far. He may be due for a good finish, perhaps 5th?

Last edited:
Stroll crashes in Q1, causes a Red Flag.

His steering wheel looked like it was shaking quite heavily as he was entering Turn 2.

Too bad Max screwed up the first part of the sector.
I guess the battle between Charles and Max will be fun here. Since Max is better on tires and more consistent, and Charles and street circuits aren’t a good match, I can (hope)/see a Verstappen-Perez 1-2 in the making.

Back