Formula 1 Emirates Gran Premio Dell'emilia Romagna 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 213 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari returns to the Formula 1 calendar for the first time since 2006, with a slightly different layout than before to greet any teams who may have previous experience at the track. A flat-out blast from Rivazza to Tamburello replaces the Variante Bassa chicane which used to sit where one end of the current pitlane is. Ferrari's backyard has hosted many classic races in the past, and the ingredients for a unique Grand Prix have been scattered. This will be the first officially planned 2-day weekend in (at least my) memory, with just a 2 hour Practice on Saturday set aside for the teams to learn the track for both practice and the race. Expect an awful lot of running as teams want to test tyres, practice qualifying and if anything, just learn the track. Interestingly, Pole position is after Turn 1 it seems, that's different. It's hosted the Italian Grand Prix, it's hosted the San Marino Grand Prix, and now for the first time, it will be hosting a race named after the Italian region it sits in, let's get excited for the EMILIA ROMAGNA GRAND PRIX!
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.909km

Race Distance
309.049 km

Lap Record
1:26.883 - Ingo Gerstl (Toro Rosso STR1 - BOSS GP 2020) [Fastest lap I could find in a race on this current layout]

There'll be lots of overtakes into T2 with the slow last corner going onto a fairly lengthy straight. :cheers:

Anyone know the logic of only running 1 practice session, then the quali on a new-ish track? :confused:

Last edited:
There'll be lots of overtakes into T2 with the slow last corner going onto a fairly lengthy straight. :cheers:

Anyone know the logic of only running 1 practice session, then the quali on a new-ish track? :confused:

It's an experiment on shorter weekends, why not do it with a new circuit to really test everyone?

It's an experiment on shorter weekends, why not do it with a new circuit to really test everyone?

That was kinda a by-product, the main reason was the driving distance between Portugal and Italy with only a week gap. They wanted to give the teams an extra day to get there and set up.

Last edited:
Hamilton already have the most F1 wins at different grand prix circuits and he will now
be able to extend that record to 28 on Sunday.

Most F1 wins at different circuits:

1. Hamilton - 27
2. Schumacher - 22
3. Vettel - 21
4. Prost - 18
5. Alonso & N. Rosberg - 17

It didn't go too well for Hamilton last time he raced at Imola though (in the two GP2 races of April 2006).
He was disqualified from the feature race on Saturday for passing the safety car and finished 10th
in the sprint race on Sunday.

No, the final chicane has been removed.

Imola in 2006
Imola1995.e3b79232c4b9d1e9eb7368ca877a5262.png

Imola today
Imola2009.e3b79232c4b9d1e9eb7368ca877a5262.png

As an entire chicane has been removed, it doesn't seem right to post lap records from the previous times F1 was here
Technically its half of the chicane as the new pits take up some of the existing track, with 50% of the original chicane still existing, but without using that chicane there should actually be a passing opportunity, which should lower the downforce levels a tad as this was known as a pretty high downforce track back in the day with shorter straights.

Last edited:
I've never got how they felt the need to put a chicane at Villeneuve. I completely understand putting in something at Tamburello, but once that was there, the cars would naturally be slower going through Villeneuve.

Last edited:

The reason is, it takes too much time to move all the stuff from Portimao to Imola. They're using trucks and because of the distance, travelling takes one more day than moving the stuff from Austria to Silverstone. They also have no chance to regain any of the time they lost, so this race will take place without practice today.

I listenend a german podcast and they discussed this with a former truck-driver, the distance is 800km longer than RBR-Silverstone and the trucks are limited to 89kmh. IF they could drive with 89kmh all the time, it would take 9h to finish the additional distance, but that's impossible of course. It's far more realistic that it takes two or three hours more because of traffic and the fact they're not running on a highway. Another point is, the trucks are shared by two drivers. By law they have to take a break every day for several hours, they can't just swap the drivers. That are the reasons why the additional distance of 800km takes costs almost a day of travelling and the race is held without friday practice.

I've never got how they felt the need to put a chicane at Villeneuve. I completely understand putting in something at Tamburello, but once that was there, the cars would naturally be slower going through Villeneuve.

Lack of runoff at Tosa presumably? But yeah, it does stick out as a bit odd.

Pierre Gasly has a special helmet this weekend:

I just wished they'd made the AT branding a tiny bit less in your face...

Why is it not called the San Marino Grand Prix? :indiff:
The Emilia Romagna region decided "Hang on, why are Styria, Eifel and Tuscany getting Grand Prix's named after them, we're the region the race is in, not San Marino", so that's why it's the Emilia Romagna region. They're the ones who've managed to barter the deal for the race and release restrictions to allow the F1 circus to go through their lockdown/restrictions, not San Marino.

I just like continuity. It's always a sticking point for a fusspot like me.

Why is it not called the San Marino Grand Prix? :indiff:

From a racefans article:

The race’s official title, ‘Gran Premio dell’Emilia Romagna’, has come about because of the support the local region has given to bringing Formula 1 back to the circuit for the first time in 14 years.

“Seeing Ferrari and the other cars racing on the Imola circuit will be a profound emotion,” said Stefano Bonaccini, president of the Emilia-Romagna Region. “Imola has always been a natural venue for Formula One and we have chosen to name the Grand Prix at Emilia-Romagna, in homage to our region, the land of motors par excellence.”

Those are fair reasons, thanks to you both for letting me know. I still prefer San Marino GP as a personal preference.

Screenshot_20201030-232033_Twitter.jpg

JUST GIVE ME SOME CONSISTENCY

#EmiliaRomangaGP
#EnzoEDinoFerrariGP

#PaulRicardGP
#AlbertParkGP
#SepangGP

I guess they're also acknowledging that San Marino was always a pretty inaccurate name in the first place, the track is a good 100km away. Just like when they held the Luxembourg GP in Germany.

Last edited:
I guess they're also acknowledging that San Marino was always a pretty inaccurate name in the first place, the track is a good 100km away. Just like when they held the Luxembourg GP in Germany.
Or the Swiss GP in France

Or the European GP in Asia

Or the Pacific GP on land

Last edited:
It's soooo good to see Imola back again in F1. And holy crap, what a quali session. Gasly is right behind Verstappen and in between the two Red Bulls. That right there, is a man on a mission. Can't wait for the race tomorrow.

Bottas has pole, but that won't stop Hamilton winning tomorrow, and Gasly is completely showing up Albon.
At this point I get the feeling it’s the car/team rather than the driver. Gasly is faster in this year’s AT than he was in a RB. Conversely, Albon is slower in a RB than he was in an TR.100% the car is built with Max’s driving style in mind, whilst I’d hazard a guess the TR/AT has a more generalist design to suit multiple driving styles. Meaning the RB will feel off for anyone who doesn’t have a driving style like Max. It’s like when you hop in someone else’s car for a cruise and the seat and mirrors and steering wheel are all in a weird position to you.

Back