Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 1,964 comments
  • 140,844 views

Who will win the Driver's Championship?


  • Total voters
    73
  • Poll closed .
Sensible ones probably are, absolutely. My problem isn't even with Max. He won fair and square, it's not his fault the FIA is a literal circus tent. Again, congrats to him. He's still way too abrasive/aggressive on track and I'd imagine it's only going to get worse from hereon but he does deserve the win. No question.

Won't get into the specifics of this and last race as it's pointless now. All I want is for Masi to kick rocks and never officiate an F1 race again. Not even in his own thoughts. :lol:
There's the rub really - Max won fair and square but Mercedes do have a point. Taking the win away from Max would be unfair but equally Toto does have a valid grievance with how Masi handled things. I saw in a Facebook group someone say the best solution would be to give Hamilton a five second penalty for the turn one incident and Max a five second penalty for 'overtaking' under the SC - problem solved really.

Agree with you on Masi - from weekend to weekend it feels like there have been completely different rules - no way to run a championship. The guy needs to go.
 
Last edited:
So at which race next season do we see the airplane crash (as Brundle terms it)? If Verstappen has a car at the pointy end he's going to drive in same stupidly aggressive way he has all this season. The other drivers know that now and any who are his direct competitors next year would be stupid not to call his bluff and just turn in rather than avoid the accident. I'm certain if Hamilton is up there again next season he won't put up with the same **** from Max he has this year.
Max will have to be careful at the start of next year. He's up high on penalty points, and they're all recent. If he would continue his standards as the last few races, he'll be up to a race ban in no time.
It all depends on how the new cars will do I guess. It's probably unlikely that they will be this close again next year. Question is just in whose favor it will be
 
When that "one race" is the final race with the incident taking place on the final lap for the Championship b/c the race director decided he should get a fair shot at Lewis, but no one is afforded that opportunity within' their own race:

Yes, it's the exact same amount of luck everyone is convinced Lewis has.
Lewis got extremely lucky at Silverstone and indeed, had he not made that rookie error with the brake magic at Baku, he may have been in a better position. I agree the race restart wasn't the best way to end the championship but Lewis has had a fair amount of luck this season as well. Had he not been in the Merc he may not have won the last two championships - same goes for Schumi at Ferrari to be fair. Let's be honest due to the disparity between the cars F1 isn't a meritocracy in terms of driver talent - if it were Russell and Leclerc would have been fighting for race wins (and potentially championships) for ages now.

Max will have to be careful at the start of next year. He's up high on penalty points, and they're all recent. If he would continue his standards as the last few races, he'll be up to a race ban in no time.
It all depends on how the new cars will do I guess. It's probably unlikely that they will be this close again next year. Question is just in whose favor it will be
I think 2022 will be harder for Max due to the Russell factor, he's a young, aggressive racer as well and Max will have to be careful abut his penalty points. If Ferrari sort their act out Sainz and Leclerc could be in the mix as well. I feel that Ferrari's lack of pace in recent years has really paved the way for Red Bull to come back in a big way.
 
Last edited:
Intention to appeal filed. Mercedes has 48 hours to decide whether it has a case worth escalating.
After looking at the rules they absolutely have a case. What happened was objectively wrong and stinks of favoritism considering how soon after the decision was made after RB whining to them.
 
Well for next year there needs to be some serious clarification and codification for penalties regarding on-track incidents, in the same way as for technical infringements i.e.:

Forcing a driver off-track with no contact: five-second time penalty
Forcing a driver off-track with contact: 10-second time penalty
Forcing a driver off-track with contact and inducing damage: drive-through penalty
Forcing a driver off-track with contact and inducing race-ending damage: 10-second stop/go penalty
Deliberately driving into another driver: disqualification
 
The guy with the best team mate won.

Perez position on track (at the front) and racecraft (skillfully and robustely defending against a much faster Lewis, and thats the 2nd time he did it this season) was essential to keep Max with a chance.

As for Bottas ... I'm not even sure what position he ended up in ... but I do know that Max pitted THREE times this race and Bottas was never a concern.

I understand the fareweel gift the fans gave Kimi, but Perez is the man today
 
Well for next year there needs to be some serious clarification and codification for penalties regarding on-track incidents, in the same way as for technical infringements i.e.:

Forcing a driver off-track with no contact: five-second time penalty
Forcing a driver off-track with contact: 10-second time penalty
Forcing a driver off-track with contact and inducing damage: drive-through penalty
Forcing a driver off-track with contact and inducing race-ending damage: 10-second stop/go penalty
Deliberately driving into another driver: disqualification
Problem with that is that a lot of incidents aren't nearly as clear-cut as that.
I agree they need to be harsher on it though
 
After looking at the rules they absolutely have a case. What happened was objectively wrong and stinks of favoritism considering how soon after the decision was made after RB whining to them.
Doing away with direct radio to Masi/the FIA during races would help this I feel. However, having said that, how many referees have changed their position due to footballers crowding around them? My conspiracy theory is that it was all about wanting a race for the sake of drama and he had Liberty breathing down his neck. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think it would have been sporting for the race to have been ended under a safety car but an instant red flag would have a) made things fairer and b) given some proper racing lenth wise.
 
Last edited:
Looking back I think Merc did make a strategy error.

They should have pitted Lewis during the VSC. That way it would have forced RB to run the hards and with Lewis’ pace he easily would have caught Max. All while guarding against future issues be it safety cars or tire degradation and allowing Lewis to have the fresh tires at the end.
 
It's a huge achievement on Mercedes' part and will probably remain the ultimate F1 car but I'm more interested in driving ability deciding titles than pure engineering. The fact Racing Point could just copy the previous car last year and be challenging up top isn't good for the sport in my opinion. I think were it not for Schumacher's record people would be less emotional about this result though - that's really the big thing here at play in my opinion. Masi has to go though. I'd be astounded if he's still there next year.
Just like the FIA "engineered" Max's win today with their shenanigans? :rolleyes:

Going back to the car, whether its well engineered or not, the driver is still a factor. Yeah Lewis won his championships in a great car, that doesn't change the fact that he drove the car to the end and won the races. You cannot just disregard the driver's ability just because they are driving a great car. If the driver was not relevant, than anyone could have done it but looking at Lewis record, I say that's not quite right because his abilities and speed, despite what many of his haters may think, have made the difference just like they would have made a difference again today had it not being for the FIA.

Max Verstappen did not do anything wrong in this race. No, not even the lap one overtake.

Verstappen did not have the outright race pace today and he was lucky in that he had the appropriate track position and time gap to pit under the safety car but that sort of luck is what modern Formula 1 is built upon. For e v e r y driver. Specifically focusing on the end of the race itself, to penalise Verstappen, or any driver, for a potential prodecdural error on the part of the race officials when he himself as a driver did nothing wrong would be extremely unfair.

Edit: Criticism of the race officials and the sport's administration, and punishments and penalties thereof, are a different matter, which I'd have no problem agreeing to. It's been a horrible year for stewarding and it absolutely must be sorted out before next season.

Also, I never said Max should be penalized no did I want that. I'm just really frustrated that a race that I had been so excited about and have been looking forward to watch so much ended in such fashion. Like I said before, I don't have a problem with him winning, I just feel like he didn't do it by merit because if you take out what the FIA did at the end, that race should have ended under the SC with Lewis winning it. Either way what's done is done, congrats to Max for winning his first championship and I'm sure he'll have a couple more. For me, I just wish it wasn't tinted with all the FIA controversy.
 
Just like the FIA "engineered" Max's win today with their shenanigans? :rolleyes:

Going back to the car, whether its well engineered or not, the driver is still a factor. Yeah Lewis won his championships in a great car, that doesn't change the fact that he drove the car to the end and won the races. You cannot just disregard the driver's ability just because they are driving a great car. If the driver was not relevant, than anyone could have done it but looking at Lewis record, I say that's not quite right because his abilities and speed, despite what many of his haters may think, have made the difference just like they would have made a difference again today had it not being for the FIA.



Also, I never said Max should be penalized no did I want that. I'm just really frustrated that a race that I had been so excited about and have been looking forward to watch so much ended in such fashion. Like I said before, I don't have a problem with him winning, I just feel like he didn't do it by merit because if you take out what the FIA did at the end, that race should have ended under the SC with Lewis winning it. Either way what's done is done, congrats to Max for winning his first championship and I'm sure he'll have a couple more. For me, I just wish it wasn't tinted with all the FIA controversy.
I agree with Lewis having serious chops and, as I pointed out upthread he outperformed Seb in 2018 when the Ferrari seemed to be the best car. I'm hardly a hater but surely you have to agree the Merc's pace in the last two years was insane. I mean, Racing Point copied the 2019 car in 2020 and were able to storm ahead. I'm also not saying that today proves Max is the better driver. Ultimately, we'll never know as I doubt Hamilton will ever end up Red Bull or Max at Mercedes.

Lewis deserves those championships but 2019 and 2020 were easy wins (indeed he even missed a race last year due to Covid and still won). I'd put him equal with Schumacher personally in terms of skill - insanely talented but lucked out with the car to break records. The fact that so much was made of this title fight this year shows how bland F1 had become at the front of the grid in my opinion.

Where Max is remains to be seen - personally I don't feel he'll be on a winning streak a la Seb at Red Bull. I think Russell will probably win next year unless Mercedes fall off a cliff performance wise.
 
Last edited:
image.jpg
 
Although I agree with most of what you said, I just wanted to point out a factual error in your reasoning. Mercedes could not pit Hamilton, because he was too close to Verstappen and would have lost track position. If the race had not been started again, he would have had no chance to win it back. Mercedes could not risk that. RB on the other hand had to risk it - they had the gap to the next car and couldn't lose anything by pitting. Both teams did not have a choice in the last SC period - they both had to do it that way.
Fair point. But it still stands that teams should be able to base their decisions in these situations on a set of rules that they expect the FIA to follow. Massi can't just make crap up for the sake of "to have a race". Why wasn't Sainz allowed to race? He had 2 cars between himself and Max. There were 5 between Max and Lewis. His decision helped Max and punished Lewis. When decisions like this are made, they should only be made if they affect all drivers equally.
But that’s Mercedes’ own fault. They shot themselves in the foot by not immediately pitting Lewis when the SC came out; he was after all still in Sector 3. They could’ve stopped him, and might have come out ahead of Verstappen, even if Red Bull hadn’t stopped him.
Except it isn't. As pointed out by snowgt they couldn't have. In any case, they were still in the best posituion as - according to the rules and regulations - Massi had 3 options available to him.

1) Finish behind the safety car.
2) Try to allow the whole field to unlap and resume the race at the end of the following lap (if there are any left).
3) Resume racing as soon as the incident is cleared.

1 and 2, guarantee the win for lewis. Option 3 gives Lewis an advantage but he had that anyway as he had a healthy lead before the safety car. Max would still have the opportunity to try to chase him down on fresh soft tyres.

Instead Massi pulled option 4 from seemingly the depths of his own arse hole to allow only the cars inbetween Lewis and Max to unlap and to resume racing immediately.

This is wholly unacceptable and unprofessional. Massi has taken a decision that has massive implications on the basis of "he thinks it's best". Not for safety. Not according to the rules. Purely to see Max race Lewis in an unfair setting. It was not his decision to make and he needs to go.
 
I agree with Lewis having serious chops and, as I pointed out upthread he outperformed Seb in 2018 when the Ferrari seemed to be the best car. I'm hardly a hater but surely you have to agree the Merc's pace in the last two years was insane. I mean, Racing Point copied the 2019 car in 2020 and were able to storm ahead. I'm also not saying that today proves Max is the better driver. Ultimately, we'll never know as I doubt Hamilton will ever end up Red Bull or Max at Mercedes.

Lewis deserves those championships but 2019 and 2020 were easy wins (indeed he even missed a race last year due to Covid and still won). I'd put him equal with Schumacher personally in terms of skill - insanely talented but lucked out with the car to break records. The fact that so much was made of this title fight this year shows how bland F1 had become at the front of the grid in my opinion.

Where Max is remains to be seen - personally I don't feel he'll be on a winning streak a la Seb at Red Bull. I think Russell will probably win next year unless Mercedes fall off a cliff performance wise.
It's amazing that the most talented drivers get paired with the most talented team's isn't it.
 
I think the best way to settle this is to just redo an entire season, all the way from Bahrain up to Abu Dhabi. Maybe while they're at it, they could also build some new cars so it's a bit more unpredictable.
Maybe they could do this next year, say between March and December?
 
I don't know what to think. On one hand, happy that Max won. Both deserved it, I feel, taking the whole season into account, Max more so than Lewis, but whoever came out on top today would have been deserving.

Lewis drove a hell of a race and to be ripped off at the end after that performance off the back of the last 3 races would be so gutting!
I haven't been as against Masi for his calls as a lot of people over the season. I do feel though this race was handled poorly, the first lap call which was incorrect and then rushing the safety car at the end to have a single lap sprint. Although the drivers did nothing wrong and drove to the rules, the result doesn't sit well with me. I guess ironically the racing was clean between the drivers, the FIA made it dirty.

I haven't been calling for Masi to be replaced, but after this race I wouldn't mind seeing the back of him. If he does stay on, I hope he learns a lot from this season, sets a standard going forward for racing in future seasons and F1 is better for it.
 
Fair point. But it still stands that teams should be able to base their decisions in these situations on a set of rules that they expect the FIA to follow. Massi can't just make crap up for the sake of "to have a race". Why wasn't Sainz allowed to race? He had 2 cars between himself and Max. There were 5 between Max and Lewis. His decision helped Max and punished Lewis. When decisions like this are made, they should only be made if they affect all drivers equally.

Except it isn't. As pointed out by snowgt they couldn't have. In any case, they were still in the best posituion as - according to the rules and regulations - Massi had 3 options available to him.

1) Finish behind the safety car.
2) Try to allow the whole field to unlap and resume the race at the end of the following lap (if there are any left).
3) Resume racing as soon as the incident is cleared.

1 and 2, guarantee the win for lewis. Option 3 gives Lewis an advantage but he had that anyway as he had a healthy lead before the safety car. Max would still have the opportunity to try to chase him down on fresh soft tyres.

Instead Massi pulled option 4 from seemingly the depths of his own arse hole to allow only the cars inbetween Lewis and Max to unlap and to resume racing immediately.

This is wholly unacceptable and unprofessional. Massi has taken a decision that has massive implications on the basis of "he thinks it's best". Not for safety. Not according to the rules. Purely to see Max race Lewis in an unfair setting. It was not his decision to make and he needs to go.
And exactly why Max's "championship" gets an asterisk. This is Prost-Senna '89 levels of insanity.
 
Last edited:
It's amazing that the most talented drivers get paired with the most talented team's isn't it.
It's still a bit of a lottery - look at Leclerc at Ferrari. One of the best drivers with one of historically the best teams (even as recently as 2018) but no championship in sight due to lack of development.
 
Last edited:
What about the rest of the Netherlands?
Changed, sorry for the mistake ✌️ ✌️

Also: "Toto Wolff crying to Michael Masi because they cannot win is the best moment in the history of Formula 1 and the most shameful attitude of a team manager that I have seen in my entire life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "



:lol::lol::lol:
 
It's still a bit of a lottery - look at Leclerc at Ferrari. One of the best drivers with one of historically the best teams (even as recently as 2018) but no championship in sight due to lack of development.
It's not a lottery, outliers don't change the trend.

Of course, big team's can get it wrong from time to time, but that's usually a blip and not a new norm unless funding is cut/reduced sufficiently so that they are no longer a top team.
 
Last edited:
It's a huge achievement on Mercedes' part and will probably remain the ultimate F1 car but I'm more interested in driving ability deciding titles than pure engineering. The fact Racing Point could just copy the previous car last year and be challenging up top isn't good for the sport in my opinion. I think were it not for Schumacher's record people would be less emotional about this result though - that's really the big thing here at play in my opinion. Masi has to go though. I'd be astounded if he's still there next year.
Engineers, both mechanical and aerodynamic, are worthy of just about as much praise as the drivers in the fastest branch of the autosport.
 
Back