Formula 1 Gran Premio de España Santander 2012

United States
Houston, TX
astrosdude91
After a three week sabbatical, the 2012 Formula One season rolls on with a trip to Barcelona. Round Five of the 2012 Formula One Season is...

Gran Premio de España Santander 2012
The 2012 Spanish Grand Prix

From the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona, Spain.
spanishgp.png

One lap of the circuit with Fernando Alonso:

Number of Laps: 66
Circuit Length: 4.655 km
Race Distance: 307.104 km
Lap Record: 1:21.670 (Kimi Raikkonen- 2008)

2011 Results:
1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull)
2. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
3. Jenson Button (McLaren)

2012 Drivers Championship Standings after four rounds (top ten only):
1. Sebastian Vettel- 53
2. Lewis Hamilton- 49
3. Mark Webber- 48
4. Jenson Button- 43
5. Fernando Alonso- 43
6. Nico Rosberg- 35
7. Kimi Raikkonen- 34
8. Romain Grosjean- 23
9. Sergio Perez- 22
10. Paul Di Resta- 15

2012 Constructors Champion Standings after four rounds (top five only)
1. Red Bull Racing- 101
2. Vodafone McLaren- 92
3. Lotus- 57
4. Scuderia Ferrari- 45
5. Mercedes- 37

After four rounds. We have four different winners from four different teams. Will the Mercedes powered teams continue their charge up front? Or will Red Bull repeat their Bahrain result with another win? Perhaps Lotus will finally get a victory this time. Or maybe HRT will come out of nowhere and score a 1-2 finish. We'll all find out come Sunday.

Last edited:
haitch40
Almost always a boring one here. *sigh*
Usually that is the case, but DRS sure did make last years race an exciting one, if I recall correctly. I can only assume we could be in for a similarly exciting one this year!

Or maybe HRT will come out of nowhere and score a 1-2 finish. We'll all find out come Sunday.

^ This has made my day :lol:

Back to reality, I expect a 5th different winner this race; ether Hamilton, Webber or (possibly) Raikonnen

Seeing Raikkonen or Alonso do well here would be great. I'm still rooting for Button however.

I really hate these three-week breaks. Just the summer break left now.

Really excited for this GP. Not just for the F1 but also for the GP3 series which kicks off this weekend. Always some good racing in the support classes. Honourable mention goes to GP2 as well, though it isn't their first round.

Speaking of GP3, it appears that the Ralf Schumacher-Mucke Motorsport collaboration has withdrawn from the series.

Bizarre, I know that the teams get huge fines from the FIA if they dont show up with drivers for three cars. Somewhere in the range of 30,000 Euros I believe. Resulting in some of the drivers becoming fill ins. Happens a lot at the end of the year when there are drivers who are running out of sponsorship or have failed to find more.

I think this year the talent pool is not that strong in GP3 overall. I think there were a lot more competitive drivers in the class last year and it showed in the final standings. I think that this year it will be dominated by about five drivers. Evans and Laine from Arden, the Carlins of Felix de Costa and Buller (I dont rate Brundle), Conor Daly is also in his second season.

It seems to me as though F3 has had more of a resurgence this year. I believe they are running a new generation of car this year? There has certainly been an influx of numbers to the class. I think last year there were nine runners that did the full season, and I think 12-14 was the average field per event. This year there are 15 confirmed full year drivers and there were 18 at the first round.

Edit: I see that for 2012 the teams only have to field two out of their three cars.

The decline is probably due to far too many lower-tier feeder series.

2012 Constructors Champion Standings after four rounds (top five only)
1. Red Bull Racing- 101
2. Vodafone McLaren- 92
3. Lotus- 57
4. Scuderia Ferrari- 45
5. Mercedes- 37

After four rounds. We have four different winners from four different teams. Will the Mercedes powered teams continue their charge up front? Or will Red Bull repeat their Bahrain result with another win? Perhaps Lotus will finally get a victory this time. Or maybe HRT will come out of nowhere and score a 1-2 finish. We'll all find out come Sunday.

Dont you mean will the Renault powered teams continue they charge up front?

I just hope that Ferrari gets their **** together or its going to be another long year. Although I have very much enjoyed watching the ice man back in action, and four teams, four drivers in four races is looking pretty interesting!

This will be interesting to see in qualifying, the last two years, Red Bull have got pole positions by a second, but the McMercs and Renaults will be right on their tail here.

I predict Webber coming home in front of Raikkonen.👍

If Ferrari do get their act together, then there's a real chance that we could be seeing Alonso as champion come the end of this year. He's only 10 points behind behind Vettel. According to him though, Spain will only be a step in turning the car's performance level around.

If Ferrari do get their act together, then there's a real chance that we could be seeing Alonso as champion come the end of this year. He's only 10 points behind behind Vettel. According to him though, Spain will only be a step in turning the car's performance level around.

I'd say Canada will be the first race where the Ferrari looks like a challenger, although knowing Canada, anything could happen anyway.:dopey:

With so much good motorsport last weekend I've almost forgotten about F1. Hope it won't be a boring one.

Hoping that Lotus Renault can turn up and cause Red Bull Renault some trouble.

Of course I would love to see McLaren do a better job in this race, especially in the pits.

More modern video of the current layout. I tried to find last year's video, but it seems that almost any pole position in 2011 that wasn't Vettel's is lost in history.

I hope that Ferrari can step up (quite) a bit and that Lotus' good form in Bahrain was not a fluke so that we have five teams battling for a race win.

I'm just happy that the Eff Wonn is back. Has it really only been three weeks? Feels like an eternity.

Well I hope that it is gonna be closer than the race that was on the BBC red button where only Schumi, Alesi, Villenueve, Frentzen( i think), Hakkinen and Diniz finished the race. I think it was 96 or 97 and Schumi dominated after getting a Webber like start and losing about 5 places of the line. The rain was crazy as well.

As for this weekend I expect the usual suspects to be challenging and it could e interesting

Back